MAC Blot Powder - Medium/Dark

4.4

on 9/3/2010 7:01:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I love this product! My skin is very oily in my T-zone, and in the past I've tried all kinds of oil control products ranging from lotions, to cleansers, to powders. Prior to this, the best thing I had tried was the Dermalogica Oil Control lotion, but I had two criticisms of it. 1) It was pricey. I couldn't find it anywhere in my area, and even on Amazon or discount beauty stores online, it was nearly $40. It also didn't last very long. 2) My skin felt slightly stiff (as if I'd applied a thin layer of glue or something), and I would get shiny again late in the afternoon. That being said, I was shopping for a new blush, and the nice lady at MAC did my makeup for me. She put on my normal Studio Fix in C4, then blush, then "sealed" it with the Blot Powder in Medium/Dark. I went the whole rest of the day without my t-zone getting oily--amazing! I went back and purchased some, and I've been using it for about 6 months. I live in Nevada (where it gets very hot in the summer) and I've found this product to be nearly sweat proof. It's a very rare occasion that I get even slightly oily looking. The other thing to note, is that it doesn't build upon itself. There have been times that I have had to run home and freshen up before running out of the house. I've been able to blot my face, reapply the powder, and it gives me sort of a matte, 'airbrushed' look. I will definitely keep using this product.

on 8/31/2010 9:12:00 AM

I like this because it actually pretty much does what it claims. Usually my forehead and nose are shiny by lunch time, but with Blot Powder, I notice a significant reduction in the amount of oil on my face. I use a brush to apply after tinted moisturizer and before my bronzer, and this seems to be working well.

on 8/10/2010 11:30:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

This is always in my handbag! It is brilliant for stopping shine without altering the colour of your make up. The compact lasts quite long too - i go through one about every six months or slightly longer. A great product for your handbag if you want to stay shine free!

on 7/26/2010 2:43:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Cool

This is my HG powder! I used to buy drugstore ones that would look powdery and run out fast then I got this. I'm nc42/43 for reference. I got this in medium/dark last may and yes I've hit pan but there's still some left. For $21 not a bad deal considering I'd have gone through several ds powders by now. Will continue to buy and is back to macable.

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

Of course I'll buy this again! It absorbs oil without looking powdery (it will look somewhat powdery when you apply it--but the amazing thing is it soaks up any oil on your skin and looks like a nice, healthy skin finish). I was surprised when the MAC SA suggested Medium Dark, as I'm about a NW15. But this works for me!

on 7/20/2010 12:48:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

My all-time favorite powder. it doesn't change foundation color and it keeps oil away. the formula changed from when i bought it 5 years ago. supposedly now it is silica based or something. i like it better now. the only thing is, i've started to get little red pimples around my chin, but could be from the wax. nc40 is medium/dark

on 7/15/2010 9:06:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

This is my first department store powder, and I'm very impressed- especially compared to other powders I've used in the past (NYC Smooth Skin Pressed Face Powder, CoverGirl Clean Pressed Powder for normal and sensitive skin, Sonia Kashuk Dual Coverage Powder Makeup, Coastal Scents Silica Spheres). For reference, I'm about an nc40 at the moment.

Excellent Color Match
Because I'm of Native American/Irish heritage, I have a hard time finding powder that matches my skin tone. In the summer, I tend to be between medium and dark yellow/olive. Even the darkest drugstore powders available make me look like I played in flour. MAC medium-dark is a perfect color match for my summer complexion.

Awesome Coverage
I have been blessed with fabulous combination skin- super oily skin around my eyes, temples, and on my eyelids; an oily forehead, nose and upper lip; a semi-oily chin; and normal to dry skin around my nose and on my cheeks. What I love about this powder is it doesn't start looking cakey on the oily parts of my face, nor does it dry out my cheeks. I use my ELF Studio Complexion Brush to apply. I do have to blot my t-zone a couple of times throughout the day and reapply, but it's no biggie. I live in Phoenix, and to expect anything to stay on my oily face throughout the day is a little unrealistic. I'm not expecting perfection, I just want to look good.

Skin Sensitivity
Despite having oily skin, I rarely have problems with acne. However, I do have problems with skin sensitivity, particularly to weather and certain ingredients in cosmetics. Mac Blot Powder does not break me out, nor does it leave my skin feeling tight or itchy.

Price
Last but not least, I don't mind the price. I've spent way too much on cosmetics because I refused to pay department store prices. I'll most likely experiment with other powders that get high ratings on this site. But for now, this one will do.

on 6/28/2010 11:09:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Im an NC20 with yellow undertones and combination skin(very oily tzone). I bought this in Medium and i absolutely love it. After i set my foundation with translucent powder i apply the blot powder to my T-zone area( which gets extremely oily) and im good to go for the entire day with1 or 2 touchups needed. I was contemplating between 'light' or 'medium', im happy i chose medium because it does not have pink undertones like 'light'(which made me look ghostly) & it isnt dark enough to distract from my foundation color at all, i use Revlon color stay in Buff or Macs studio fix liquid in nc20. The texture is not velvety smooth but it glides on well however when i use the puff it comes with, it packs on and does not apply evenly so i use my kabuki brush from eco tools to apply for a even and smooth finish.

on 6/24/2010 10:54:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

This broke me out a lot - I only used it on my nose and only got pimples all over my nose-it was weird. I also don't like the white cast it tends to give-I am nc37-40 fyi. I prefer the mineralize skinfinish natural powders or just using a blotting paper or tissue instead.

on 6/23/2010 3:20:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

What can I say, its a good touch up powder. Pricey, but I think it'll last.

At the insistence of the MAC SAs I bought Medium Dark even though I'm ~NW20, since they were worried about a lighter shade making me look chalky or washed out. Really, since there is only 10% color pigmentation in the powder, I think it hardly matters. I think almost any person could use any color of the powder and you wouldn't be able to tell the difference! You can't see Medium Dark on me at all.