Annick Goutal Eau De Charlotte

3.9

on 12/16/2004 11:54:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I just adore this perfume. It has a wonderfully soft, sweet scent. It's foody and light, without a touch of vanilla. The cocoa scent is kinda... in the middle. It smells a little like the way those cans of Ghiradelli's Ground Chocolate smell when you first open them. The currant smell is curiously fruity and a little green, but not tangy or sharp or anything. The entire scent is so smooth, so put together--there is absolutely nothing jarring or discordant here. My one and only complaint about this otherwise effortlessly lovely perfume is that it doesn't last quite long enough. However, it's so versatile and feminine that I can overlook that flaw and can already look forward to repurchasing.

on 12/16/2004 7:04:00 PM

What a pretty name for such a pretty perfume -- the ultimate in feminine. Sooo unique a scent I don't even know how to describe it except that I love the soft powdery dry down like nothing else. The opening seems green like tomato vines but immediately it softens on the skin. Will write more when I figure it out :) continued >>

on 12/7/2004 5:09:00 AM

I received this perfume as a gift from "Madame" when I was working as an au-pair in Paris over 10 years ago. It's a sweet little scent in a beautiful old fashioned bottle. The ones who say they do not like this have not been patient enough to wait for the gorgeous, creamy drydown. It does not smell like anything else out there. A truly unique and "girly" scent, which for me is full of memories from discovering the streets of Paris...

on 11/7/2004 2:59:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

This is the only one besides Petite Cherie of the Annick Goutal perfumes that I like (which means, love). I get so many compliments when wearing this scent, often it causes disputes about reminiscent notes of it. Many people get the food (in elegant and exquisite way, of course), I do, too, but a very delicatesse, gourmet and expensive restaurants version. Definitely will repurchase.

on 10/12/2004 8:19:00 PM

I think elegant-foody is a dead-on description. I don't know if I'm only imagining things, because I've read the description of this perfume and know that it's supposed to smell like Annick Goutal's stepdaughter's favorite jam, but when I smell it, I REALLY smell jam. I smell the jam, and the jar, and the label, and everything, if that makes sense. And with the addition of the cocoa, which, once again, I might be conjuring up smells in my imagination, but the cocoa smells like a very refined, high-end cocoa powder....this ain't no Hershey's. It's like standing inside of a pantry, with all the foody delicious smells. That said, I'm still making up my mind about this one and will update my review once I do.

on 10/2/2004 12:23:00 PM

I've finally got a bottle, thanks to my sistah KristenB(love ya!) and..... CAN I TELL YOU????.....I AM IN LOVE!!!
Ok, ok, I don't get the cocoa, and I'm not quite sure whether I get the blackberries either, but what I do get is the most wOnderful.. feel good smell! I keep getting the FABULOUS whiff of something that smells delicious and I'm Oooo soooooo very happy that everytime, it's me!!! It's sweet and powdery,warm and yummy. Foody....I don't think so. Gourmand.... I don't get it. However whatever it is... on me... I dig it!!!
Oh yeah...I'll never be without this one as well!

on 9/17/2004 3:16:00 PM

It had been a long time since I'd tried Eau de Charlotte, and I thought I might love it this trip around, but it's still too foody on me. Cocoa and jam, with something fizzy underneath. It's a *good* cocoa and jam---I think someone else called it "elegant-foodie," and I think that's apt---but it's a little foodie-sweet for my taste, and not for me. It lasts about six hours on my skin, which is pretty good for a Goutal EDT.

on 8/21/2004 9:28:00 PM

Poor Charlotte... the description of notes makes it sound ghastly -- lily, mimosa, currant, cocoa. And the description is accurate. And your first sniff will make you think "WHhhhooooaaaa...! Weird!" It's kind of like your first encounter with certain chinese foods (sesame noodles comes to mind -- "Peanut butter and noodles?! Gross!... try it? Oh, all right... umm, this tastes REALLY GOOD!")

But hang in there, and you'll come around. First, there is the delicious quality. Not Gail Hayman Hollywood-type delicious, which I find a dreadful misnomer (DON'T like Delicious. At all). No, this is a quirky, wonderful, imaginative French delicious. The lily is the best quality, a gorgeously floating, floral. The mimosa is not an In Your Face With The Powder, but soft, thing, muting what could have been too-sharp edges of other notes. The currant is a jammy, tangy currant that emerges most strongly mid-stream. And the cocoa is very subtle. Not a strong brown chocolate, but light, ethereal white chocolate. This is a Very French perfume in the best possible way. Reactions to it: men are puzzled. They know they are in the presence of Haute Couture. But they're kind of intrigued, sidle closer, sniff and think, sniff and think. And then, they love it. Women, a few hate it on first immediate sniff then calm down about it, most are surprised and puzzled. Almost all end up liking it. Not many will buy it, but that is among it's greatest attributes. It is born to be a signature scent, because eventually, everyone likes it and kind of inextricably associates it with you. When another woman borrows it, she's told not that she smells pretty, but that she smells like you. It is truly beautiful, truly unique, but very easily misunderstood. Poor Charlotte!

on 8/18/2004 10:30:00 PM

I like this in the bottle. A sweet, powdery fragrance that is somewhat berry like too. Yet on me, it just smells "plasticky" and slightly sickly. On others, it smells how it does in the bottle. C'est dommage!

on 7/24/2004 1:16:00 AM

This scent is all what I expected! I love that it smells like a sweet blackcurrants and vanilla! I can't smell cocoa in it, but very delicate lily of the valley, which makes this fragrance even more unusual and beautiful. The bottle is just so pretty and I am so happy that finally I got a chance to have one of my own! (thanks to my wonderful Nelci1). Staying power is great and even after many hours I can still smell it and it stays very true to it's first scent.