September 21, 2014 | 2019 users online

Other - MAC - Back-2-MAC Recycling Program

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/11/2011 1:00:00 AM More reviews by cadabeijos

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

LOVE B2M! I've only exchanged my used MAC containers for lipsticks, but apparently at the actual MAC stores, you can trade 6 of your used containers for a lipstick (non-VG), eyeshadow, or lipgloss. I love free! I wish other cosmetics companies would do this. It encourages recycling and I think keeps customers coming back...I mean, you get customers to your store, and there's another chance they'll purchase something along with recycling....

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/11/2011 12:48:00 AM More reviews by shannysgirl18

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Free is FREE so I think there is no room to complain, inconsistency or not. This is an amazing program. How could you not be happy with getting a free product :)

rated 5 of 5 on 1/11/2011 12:39:00 AM More reviews by RitzyWoman

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I used the Back 2 Mac recycling program for the first time. I've read a few bad reviews, but it worked out fine for me. I traded 2 lipstick containers & 4 lipglass containers for a new cremesheen. It was easy, so no complaints.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/9/2011 3:19:00 PM More reviews by biancastefani

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I absolutely LOVE the Back2MAC recycling program!

For those of you who don't know, you recycle 6 empty (or even half empty) pagackes of products (no, not the box, the actual plastic) and while MAC recycles it, you get to pick a free lipstick. At freestanding stores, you can pick a free eyeshadow or a free lipglass. However, you cannot select a Limited Edition product, a Viva Glam product or a Pro product.

Now, people have mentioned inconsistency with the rules. What I've stated above ARE the rules (I've asked in several MAC stores/counters) and if there has been any lenience in past experiences, it was due to the Sales Assistant, and the rules have NOT been changed to make life harder for us MAC addicts. :)

I really admire this program. It helps with the environment and it costs no money whatsoever if you already have the empty containers lying around. It also gives me a chance to experiment with new colours, without finding it a waste of money. So go for it! What do you have to lose?

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/9/2011 2:58:00 PM More reviews by princesstabitha

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I LOVE THIS PROGRAM !! =)

rated 5 of 5 on 1/9/2011 2:51:00 PM More reviews by princesscr

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I love this program. Many times I've been torn between a MAC product and a Smashbox product. I will purchase the MAC product because I know I can recycle it and get lipstick! Thanks, MAC!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/7/2011 8:25:00 PM More reviews by martaalexandrino

Love It... I think everybody said what I would said!! Excellent program!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/30/2010 7:10:00 PM More reviews by alt629

Great idea. If you're already buying anyway, it makes sense to save your empties. I've accumulated so many free lipsticks on account of B2M! IME, at a non-freestanding store, you can only swap for non-Viva Glam lipstick. Once, though, I was told I couldn't get one of the mattenes from the Cult of Cherry, although later a regional MA told me that I could (and I did). In freestanding store, I was allowed to get any lipstick or lip gloss. I believe rules are different outside of the US (e.g., in some cases up to 10 empties are required).

rated 5 of 5 on 12/21/2010 8:01:00 PM More reviews by emivnc

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I think this is a fantastic program. I have heard all kinds of feedback about it being inconsistent, etc., and I agree that it would be great if they had a list of exactly which products were and weren't eligible for B2M on their website (maybe as a little recycling icon on the page of each product that is eligible) and in the store. But even if all they accepted were eyeshadow containers or lipstick tubes it is still a wonderful program. That they offer recycling at all is a wonderful thing given the amount cosmetic containers that get thrown out, but that they also give the added incentive of providing free product - any free product - is just a bonus in my opinion. I am a huge fan and advocate and love being able to gather up my empties and get a treat every month or two!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/16/2010 12:20:00 PM More reviews by Phanatical28

B2M is a fantastic program with great incentives for any heavy MAC user and makeup lover. I do not find it to be inconsistent at all. If you return 6 empties of ANY PRIMARY PACKAGING, ie a wipe pack, foundation bottle, lipstick, you can receive one of three different choices - a lipstick with the exception of Viva Glam, as all proceeds from those go to charity so they won't forfeit charitable donations to give it to you for free, an eye shadow, OR a lipglass. If you B2M at a counter, not a freestanding store, you can only choose a lipstick. Products don't even have to be empty! I absolutely hated a moisturizer I tried, and B2M'd the half-used container with no issues. So far, with every counter/store I've B2M'd with across the country, the policies have been very consistent.

I've been told they're going to stop accepting depotted shadow containers (meaning the plastic container missing the metal pan w/ shadow in it, that has been removed and placed into a palette), but as I have not recycled one in quite some time, I am unsure as to where that stands. Keep in mind you CAN B2M Viva Glam products, just anywhere I've ever recycled at has told me you cannot get them in return. Also, they do accept specially packaged products to recycle, but they are another product you cannot get in return, just like you can't use a Pro Card discount on them.

It makes me feel better about not just tossing my old containers to go to the landfill, and in return for recycling, I get another product I want to try, or is a staple! Wonderful idea that I wished more companies used.