September 2, 2014 | 1756 users online

Liquid - Giorgio Armani - Luminous Silk Foundation

rated 3 of 5 on 2/3/2014 1:40:00 AM More reviews by MakeUp_0507

I'm NC 20-25, and I used the # 5 in Luminous silk. This foundation has light coverage and is natural looking, but does not last longer than an hour or two on my combination skin. It is an okay foundation but because of the short wear time, I would not repurchase. Maybe with setting powder, it would have lasted longer, but I'd already returned it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/31/2014 2:27:00 AM More reviews by cathykl

One of my HG foundations. I hardly ever re-purchase a foundation, and tend to rotate a few. However, with Luminous Silk - I am already on my 4th bottle. I briefly tried Armani's Maestro (not for me) and Lasting Silk (hated it, drying). I wear Luminous Silk in 4.5 or 5 depending on the season. 4.5 is a touch light but does oxidise to match perfectly (For reference in other brands I currently wear: NC20/F&B C2 in MAC, Tarte Amazonian Clay 12 Hr Foundation in Light-Medium Sand, Bobbi Brown Skin in 2.5, NARS Sheer Glow in Fiji, Kat Von D Lock-It in Light 49, Laura Mercier Silk Creme in Med. Ivory, DiorSkin Forever Compact in #21 Linen, Missha Perfect Cover BB in #21).

I think this is a perfect foundation if you already have relatively good skin with minimal need for coverage (it does have sheer-light coverage that can be built up to medium but allows skin to show through) and it just looks like your own skin, but better. The formula is so light and easy to blend, it literally meshes with your skin so no one can even tell you're wearing make-up (well, as long as you choose the right shade and don't cake it on!). The finish is semi-matte but looks very natural, somewhat luminous but not over-kill grease bomb.

It's great for pictures, as it has no SPF, and photographs beautifully. It lasts through an entire day for me, without separating or looking dull/patchy - although I do need to blot maybe once or twice but that is normal for me regardless of what foundation I wear. Obviously it will last longer if you set it with powder, and I sometimes use this with MSFN in Medium or MUFE HD finishing powder. I also mix it with moisturisers and highlighting products and I haven't encountered any pilling or problems with it no matter what I mix this with (from Etude House's Volumer, MAC's Strobe Cream, Armani's Fluid Sheer illuminating fluid and everything in between).

Highly recommend if you are looking for a light to medium coverage natural finish foundation.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 1/18/2014 12:39:00 PM More reviews by Videotapeses

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

I love the texture and finish of this foundation, but I was a little upset to find it ran darker than my Maestro foundation in the same shade #2. I might purchase some white foundations and the new Radiant pigment sheer to see how I can make it work, but for now the lightest shade is a bit too dark.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/18/2014 4:51:00 AM More reviews by taxi

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I've spent decades mixing foundations to try to get the right color. Once in a while, I;ve found one which is perfect, then invariable it's dc'd. Chanel Alabaster was perfect, then gone. Also had an HG cream-to-powder Prescriptives & a Guerlain which disappeared. I'm combo so some foundations oxidize to a nasty orange & mineral foundations unbecomingly accent every flaw. Per Sephora, I'm 1RO6, although I find huge errors in foundations that computer system "matched" for me.

GA is an almost perfect color for me in 3.75. I apply with a synthetic-bristle brush, then blend down with a sponge. It's sheer enough so I don't look "made up" but evens my skin nicely & covers the red mark I get on my nose bridge where my reading or sunglasses rest. It doesn't settle into pores and stays fresh looking for 6-7 hours. I rarely use powder but after a few hours, i sometimes blot. I'm pleased with the texture and most importantly the very close - still not quite perfect- color match. At least I don't have to buy 2 & mix.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/17/2014 4:25:00 PM More reviews by staceyd2401

I specifically bought it for my wedding day as I had read so many great reviews for it and thought I might try it out.
Well I have fallen head over heels for the way this makes my skin look. It has the best luminosity and definately does blur out my pores which are two things I look for in a foundation. Staying power could be a little better though, I loose that amazing finish after about 6-7 hours but still look like I am wearing foundation after that its just not as luminous.
My biggest bug bear with this foundation, which is the reason I am only giving it 4 stars, is the shade range. I am quite pale in winter and shade 3 suits me perfectly (I would usually be a NC15 in winter), but I cannot seem to find a shade darker than that that suits me. The undertones are quite funny and some of the colours oxidise on me and some dont and this foundation is way to expensive to have a so-so colour in my opinion.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/13/2014 12:15:00 AM More reviews by amoii

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Other

So i decided to buy this foundation based on the reviews here on MUA. I have to say everything about this foundation is amazing except the colour selection. I got colour matched to 5.5, however in my personal opinion i think its a little to pink/orange on me but people around me say it looks fine. The sales assistant who was much paler than me said she uses the 5.5 but she looked like nc 15 - 20 and it looked perfectly fine on her. I get a little worried about the colour especially if im standing in the sun cause i think look orange. I THINK i would repurchase this again cause it looks beautiful when photographed and coverage is natural but if there is no foundation as good as this i will have to stick to this one. BTW im a mac nc 20 :)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/8/2014 9:46:00 AM More reviews by CharismaSL

I can't beleive this has gotten such low ratings because this is such a wonderful foundation. It does exactly what it says - gives my skin a beautiful lumonisty and youthful look. I use this in #3 and i'm NC15-20 in MAC (for reference). I use a tiny bit (like 1/2 a pea size) for my entire face because it is highly pigmented. At first I used my normal foundation amount (a pea size) and it was too much which I had to remove with tissue otherwise it would have given me full coverage and had the potential to look mask-y. 1/2 a pea size is the perfect amount for me as it evens out my skintone and provides sheer/medium coverage. i like to blend it in with my fingertips. I set it with my Guerlain Meteorites Voyage Pressed Powder and it's literally budge-proof for the entire day until i wash it off. My makeup also adheres to it well and makes them budge-proof as well. I have been using this with the Cle de Peau Cheek Colour Duo blush in #1 and e/s have changed everyday, and still i've received several comments on how luminous and glowy my skin/face is (as if i've been to the spa or on vacation). This is my new HG foundation. I will toss all the others away now since this is sheer colour and texture perfection!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/7/2014 2:05:00 AM More reviews by monicargonzalez

I love this foundation!! Like most of you, I have tried them all: Nars Sheer Glow, Bobbi Brown, Mac SFF, etc. However, nothing leaves me with the best of both worlds ( natural yet perfected). For reference, my skin is combo/oily and I wear this with or without powder depending on the weather, condition of my skin or occasion. It looks great both ways. I am a NC35 and I wear 6.5 in GA Luminous Silk. Also, it photographs beautifully. Worth the price!!

rated 2 of 5 on 1/2/2014 12:01:00 PM More reviews by lemonz4us

I have a lot to say about this foundation !
Before this, I had been using GA lasting silk (4.5) but compared to that this is much better
I'm shade 3 in this. One of the more yellow toned shades.
I use one pump to cover my whole face, spread out with real techniques expert face brush and then finish off with a damp BB. I'm left with a luminous(as the name implies) satin skin-like finish. My skin tone is evened out and flawless. The coverage is pretty light, so it doesn't cover blemishes(but I never cover those anyway, looks too fake ime)
It has a strange jelly, gummy liquid-type texture (lasting silk was really slippery and smooth compared to this) and once it sets down its not going anywhere. I have no issues with longevity or transferring with this. Win!
It does however, settle into the tiny lines in my forehead if I dont use a primer.
Make sure your skin is very well moisturized before you wear this or it will cling to dry patches btw...
It photographs phenomenally!!! What you see in real life is what you get in pictures, no flashback whatsoever.
The only two bad things about this foundation..... The price ...60$ and I can't wear this. It breaks me out. Every time I do, I get breakouts on my forehead. Took me months to figure this out. At first I thought it was my hair products, but I've been using those for years so it couldn't be them. Sad because I never have issues with foundations breaking me out.
It's a no for me, but for others who don't breakout from it, I definitely recommend it !

rated 5 of 5 on 12/29/2013 9:14:00 PM More reviews by tthao

This foundation is amazing. It goes on nicely, makes you glow, and I love the texture. It's silky and I don't even want to put a powder over it. Photographs beautifully and it doesn't look like you're wearing anything. I'm not sure about it's staying power because I wear this on nights out, so one day I'll try it in the beginning of the day.

I don't like the fact that it's $60 at Neiman Marcus, so hopefully I find a better one.