Dermalogica Ultra Calming Cleanser

3.9

Not tested on animals

NEW INGREDIENTS: Water (Aqua), Cetearyl Alcohol, Bisabolol, Zingiber Officinale (Ginger) Root Extract, Leuconostoc/Radish Root Ferment Filtrate, Glycerin, Avena Sativa (Oat) Kernel Extract, Cucumis Sativus (Cucumber) Fruit Extract, Butylene Glycol, Pentylene Glycol, Hydroxyphenyl Propamidobenzoic Acid, Citrus Medica Limonum (Lemon) Fruit Extract, Fumaria Officinalis Flower/Leaf/Stem Extract, Fumaric Acid, Rubus Idaeus (Raspberry) Fruit Extract, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Flower Extract, Echinacea Purpurea Extract, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Cocamidopropyl PG-Dimonium Chloride Phosphate, Disodium Lauryl Sulfosuccinate, Cetyl Trimethyl Ammonium Chloride, Salix Alba Bark Extract, Usnea Barbata (Lichen) Extract, Glyceryl Caprylate, Tetrasodium EDTA, Panthenol, Aminomethyl Propanol (05/2011). OLD INGREDIENTS: Lavandula Angustifolia(Lavendar) Extract, Cetearyl Alcohol, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Citrus Medica Limonium (Lemon) Extract, Fumaria Officinalis Extract, Fumaric Acid, Cucumis Sativis (Cucumber) Fruit Extract, Cocamidopropyl PG-Dimonium CHloride Phosphate, Sodium Cetearyl Sulfate, Cetrimonium Bromide, Acrylkates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Butylene Glycol, AMinomethyl Propanol, Methylparaben, Propylparaben 5/20/09

on 8/12/2010 2:17:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

I LOVE this. I even made an account to review this product. Dermalogica is amazing. I have really really reactive sensitive skin after probably using bad quality brands with harsh chemicals.
After the first use of any product I can usually tell what'll work and what won't because my face gets really warm and red so before using this I was very skeptical that it wouldn't flare-up but I tried it, and my skin didn't react. I used the Barrier Repair gel after and again, no flare-ups. I've been using this for only about 4 weeks now, and for the first time in around a year I have basically no flare-ups and the permanent redness has faded dramatically while giving the rest of my skin a really healthy fresh look.
It isn't the cheapest but I gave it a 2 because after using Clinique (which burned my skin and made it so much worse at about double the price for half the ingredients), Ella Bache, Estee Lauder etc. I'd be willing to pay almost anything because of what Dermalogica has done for my skin.

on 7/5/2010 10:40:00 PM

With this product, I felt that it left a sort of layer on my face, when I really wanted to feel clean. Also, I don't get acne, but I do break out when I use the wrong products, and although this product did not cause the breakout, it did not help to get rid of it either.

I would say that this is probably a good product for someone with already clear, and sensitive skin, but not for me.

Skin: Normal, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

Pros:
It's absolutely lovely
Cons:
Expensive

Bottom line:
My Grandma* swears by Dermalogica. Every single product in her routine is from Dermalogica. She has the softest skin ever and looks 5 years younger than she is. When I complained about my first pimple she got me this and the Skin Prep Scrub. They were both amazing. I have sensitive skin and this cleanser worked with it not against it. I would repurchase but it is too expensive.

Beauty secret: Listen to your Grandma's skin care advice. She has so much more experience.

Recommended: Yes

on 6/26/2010 9:04:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm

Love this cleanser! It has no fragrance and is very mild on the skin (positive results do take a while to show), but overall is fantastic for sensitive skin. It seems to have a cooling effect on irritated skin and feels very nice.

Since it is very mild I wouldn't recommend this to anyone who wanted more obvious and instant results, but it's great for anyone with normal skin wanting a basic cleanser.

Packaging is good and a 500mL bottle can last about a year (with day and night use).

on 6/3/2010 11:44:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

I've been using this cleanser for almost 8 months and I've only just bought my second bottle. While it is very expensive my 500ml bottle lasted ages and the results have been well worth it.
I have mild rosacea and my skin reacts to many products quite badly. From day one I noticed a decrease in redness after washing, my skin never feels dry or irritated after using it either-a big change compared to many other cleansers I've tried. It removes my mineral make up well and never leaves any residue (I do rinse, instead of tissuing off).
Overall I think I've found my Hg cleanser. I use in conjuction with dermalogica's soothing protection spray, sheer tint redness relief and barrier repair and am so pleased with the improvement of my skin as a result. Well worth the money!

on 4/25/2010 5:20:00 PM

It's soft and does not cause any irritation but I can't say this is particularly calming either. Whenever I use this I feel that it leaves some kind of residue on my face, not what I want from my cleanser.

on 4/18/2010 2:03:00 AM

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I can get the same results with Neutrogena or Cetaphil for way cheaper. Not worth the money.

on 4/3/2010 8:01:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

I have extremely sensitive acne-prone skin. Most "acne" cleansers break me out in a rash on top of the spots. This cleanser calms the redness and rash however I still need something for the spots. (Haven't quite figured out what to do with the spots yet.) I don't have a problem removing makeup with this cleanser and it's so gentle that most days I don't need a heavy moisturizer afterwards. The only thing that turns me off are the parabens in this product. I'm on this whole green/healthy kick so I'm going to try out a few natural cleansers but if I don't have any luck.. I'll def return to this cleanser.

Hair: Red, Other, Fine

I think I like this cleanser, but even after 2 weeks of use I just can't decide. It does seem to take my makeup off as long as I use a makeup removing wipe first since it's waterproof. It also seems to get most of the daily oil and dirt off, but I am just so used to my normal products that I don't feel like I'm really getting my face clean. I have used my regular cleanser a few times in between, and I have noticed that it almost burns in comparison to this product. I am breaking out differently than I normally would, but this could be just from switching products and because I had a facial recently. I will probably buy again as long as I stop breaking out and don't feel like it's to weak.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

I've been using this for a few weeks now. My skin has recently become sensitive and red, so as soon as I had finished my drugstore cleanser I immediately put an order in for this.

It has a nice design - smooth & sleek and unlikely to leak. I opted for the 250ml version as a big 'tester' so to speak. I do find that my skin is calmer and less red now that I've been using it. I put the product onto my fingers and massage my makeup around, and then wipe off with cotton buds. I get a somewhat mask-like feel after doing this, so I think it would work better if I rinsed off the residue instead. I agree with some people saying it's not the best makeup remover - I always need to use a toner to remove the rest of it, but the bottle does advise to use precleanse before so I'm going to look into buying that when I next have the money!

It is an expensive product, but you need to invest in your skin so I would repurchase it. I think Dermalogica need to reiterate the fact that this is a cleanser and not an all-in-one makeup remover.