MAC # 239 Eye Shader Brush

4.7

on 3/16/2012 10:30:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

There is no doubt that this is a truly great eye shadow brush. It applies colour really well - if you are into "packing on" eye colour, this is really the brush for you. It sweeps and blends shadows beautifully too, even the less than ideal shadows - the 239 will help them apply more evenly. When I first bought this brush, I wondered why anyone would make a brush with WHITE hairs but this brush comes back to its pristine shade with a simple washing with baby shampoo, no matter what colours you've used or how "dirty" it looks. There is no "package" to speak of or to rate (sorry but at these prices, MAC could include some sort of reusable "package" that would keep this brush clean in your purse/makeup bag). And the brush ain't cheap....and it seems to me that MAC has really jacked up its prices for brushes (which was already pretty steep) in the last year or so.

So, while this is a great brush, whether it's worth the price or not is, I guess, an individual decision. I'd love to own a 2nd one of these but at these prices, I think I'll pass, though this is certainly "repurchase worthy". I have a Sonia Kashuk eye shadow brush (the one with the white handle) that I've had for several years that is almost every bit as good as the 239 (maybe not quite so perfect but pretty close), and it cost under 10 dollars.

on 3/15/2012 4:41:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

I like this brush its perfect for my lids, however its costly and I think Sigma brushes are just as good. Im not a huge MAC fan I feel like they are overratted in many ways. However I think the quility is good. The lettering on the brush fades really fast my sigma brushes still have the name on them and I got them before my mac brush but I do like it.

on 3/15/2012 4:35:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

This brush is not really that worth it to me. It only works on my lid, and is probably too big for my lid. I can use it for an all over wash of color, but for anything else, I have to blend blend blend blend to get it to look right. I'd rather just use a smaller lid brush or the 219for more concentrated colors or my 217 for an all over wash.

on 2/29/2012 5:18:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool

This is my first and only MAC brush. I hope to get more, but this one is definitely a great start! It's not itchy like most brushes, and it blends eyeshadow so nicely. It's pretty pricey at 30 dollars, although there are definitely way more expensive. I'd say it's definitely worth the price though, although my boyfriend seems to think I'm absolutely insane for thinking so haha.

on 2/19/2012 1:38:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

I have two of these because I like to do multiple colors for many of my looks, and this brush is a perfect lay down brush and in a pinch you can also use just the tip for smudging, etc.
I sometimes wish it werent white just because I get residual colors left there even after washing it with brush shampoo!

on 2/17/2012 7:13:00 PM

Aside from brush 217 (blending brush, MAC) this is my other HG daily use makeup brush. I LOVE it. Like the 217, I should pick up a second one since I love them so much. It is perfect in how much product it picks up, and lets me apply and adjust intensity without any effort. Yes, the bristles for both brushes are white, but this is not a big deal - they wash out really well (I regularly use MAC legendary black eye shadow with this brush, and it comes out almost entirely - you can't really see any product left on the brush at all). I like that the brush isn't huge, so you can control placement of color just on the lid - there are other brushes which are better for all-over washes of color.

on 2/15/2012 9:17:00 PM

I am upset about this brush. I have three, the first one I bought was fantastic, so I bought two more.....the last two are inferior to the first. They are stiffer and poke your eyelid. I tried to condition them to make them softer, and it only made a slight difference. I love the style of the brush, but will not buy anymore MAC brushes. My blush brush sheds worse than my cats!

on 2/15/2012 7:55:00 PM

My all time favorite brush. I use it everyday and have two of them. Perfect for highlight and lid. I've even used it for the crease. All around essential brush to own.

on 2/14/2012 10:12:00 PM

Excellent all-rounder when it comes to powder based eyeshadow application.

Especially effective (i) for creating 'swipe-and-go' minimalist looks on the lid; and, (ii) for overall speedy blending.

A real keeper.

on 1/24/2012 12:44:00 AM

Overall it is a great brush which you can use for many eyelooks when you are trying to build up colour intensity. However, in the morning I am always very limited to how long I can spend on my makeup which means that I tend to reach for brushes that will get my eyemakeup done fast, which, unfourtunately, does not include this brush. Don't get me wrong, it is a very good quality brush and does its job well, but I like to leave it for days when I have some extra time to get done up. That being said I would reccommend this brush, but don't think that it is an absolute necessity.

Popular Makeup Brushes