December 18, 2014 | 1758 users online

Liquid - Bare Escentuals - bareSkin® Pure Brightening Serum Foundation Broad Spectrum SPF 20

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/8/2014 10:29:00 AM More reviews by cia_agent86

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I exchanged this from the original mineral formula in store. I got to sample it first. That should have been an indication of how it works. The odd thing is it wouldn't blend when the SA at BE put this on me. She kept saying it was my skin or my sunscreen (Clarins), NOT the product. I took it home and tried it several times with and without primer, with moisturizer, without, you name it! It stuck to any dry spot, sunk into every pore, it was awful! I did like that it felt lightweight though..

rated 5 of 5 on 8/8/2014 9:55:00 AM More reviews by JayFab

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

bareMinerals employee here, and I must say I wasn't a huge fan when we first got this. Mainly because Leslie told us for years that liquid was a NEVER. But here it is! It is so light and gentle that I can't say a single bad thing about this! I love the coverage! Full coverage with just two drops!!!!! It blends in seamlessly and makes my skin look and feel so silky soft. ALWAYS ALWAYS SET WITH MINERAL VEIL!!!' Otherwise it will look shiny.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/4/2014 5:08:00 PM More reviews by rhbrand

Well, after using this now off and on for a couple months, I've got to say, this is one of my favorite foundations. I'd give it 4.5 stars if I could.
I got the lightest one they had, and I did end up getting the brush. I use 2 drops for my everyday coverage. Once in a while, I'll add an extra drop for a little more coverage. 2 drops gives me a nice ligher to medium coverage.
I do find that after a few hours, my nose is alittle shinier than it is with Bare Minerals foundation, but it is the middle of summer, and its hot and humid out there. And its nothing that a blotter takes care of in no time at all, and its not enough to keep me from using it again.
I really like this foundation, and will keep getting it

rated 4 of 5 on 8/3/2014 4:27:00 PM More reviews by JoeyRCB

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I got this in 03 - Bare Linen and it's not a perfect match but it was the closest to my coloring. For reference, I wear Fairly Light in the BE Original Foundation, and NW 20 in MAC. Anyway, the color Bare Linen is workable once I add a little bronzer!

I didn't purchase the brush that is offered with this foundation. I worked for Bare Minerals for a long time and in that time, I realized that I just don't like their brushes. Love their products, hate their brushes! For me, their brushes shed too much and feel scratchy, and I prefer my MAC and Real Techniques brushes.

I tried this foundation first with my Real Techniques Buffing Brush. Before you use it, shake it plenty! Shake shake shake! Depending on how much coverage you want, you're supposed to use 2 to 6 drops on each side of your face. I like very light coverage so I used one drop on each side. The texture of this foundation is weird! It's impossible to describe but it doesn't feel like you're putting anything on, and it does blend very, very easily. I have dry skin and for me, this foundation is dry skin friendly. The coverage lasts me pretty much all day, though five hours in I should probably touch up with some setting powder. For me, this foundation does give the appearance of real skin, though again I like light coverage and I'm only using one drop on each side of my face.

I also tried this foundation with a damp Beauty Blender and I liked it even better that way. Of course, with a damp Beauty Blender, it goes on even more sheer so while the finish was extremely natural, I did have to go back and use concealer (Maybelline Fit Me) on the redness on my cheeks.

I like this foundation a lot and I think I'll like it even more when cooler weather arrives.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/2/2014 9:49:00 PM More reviews by appletini73

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

About Face (mine): I purchased the shade "Bare Honey". I have combination skin that is more oily than dry. I do not break out easy. And I do not have sensitive skin. I have medium to deep (closer to deep) coloring with a warm undertone. I have mature 40 y/o skin, but not any noticeable fine lines. I do have deeper lines in my forehead, but I've had those since my early twenties. I have also used (and liked) the BE bareMinerals Original in Golden Tan and Smashbox Camera Ready BB Cream SPF 35 in Medium. The climate I live in changes with the season, so my make-up routine has to suit all climates from a very hot Summer to a bitter cold Winter.

I purchased and tried this during a hot and humid Summer. It holds up well throughout the day, but a mid-morning AND mid-day powder touch-up is required. I do find my skin is more oily with this foundation in comparison to their bareMinerals line. Regarding a primer, I have normally used a lightweight moisturizer with the bareMinerals line, but found that with the BareSkin Serum Foundation using a moisturizer makes oil control even more challenging. To remedy this, I replaced a moisturizer with my facial spray (Mario Badescu Facial Spray w/ Aloe, Herb & Rosewater) as the barrier between my skin and foundation. This worked tremendously better for me.

To apply, I used a "Real Techniques" buffing brush and it worked great. I first applied it with a BE foundation brush I bought years ago, but I did not like the finish it achieved. The "Real Techniques" brush (which was not as dense) applied better, blended flawlessly and gave a nice natural finish.

Why Didn't I buy the BE Face perfecting Brush? Here's the thing, if the Sephora Consultant that applied a full face color match on me didn't find it necessary to use the BE Brush for this foundation, then why should I? I may have considered buying the brush if she/he had made a special point to use it on me. I have yet to know how this foundation applies with the Perfecting Face Brush, but at this point, why bother?

I use no less than two drops, applying one drop at a time to each side of my face. As directed I shake the product well, even between drops. The serum separates quickly in the bottle after shaking. When I forget to shake or don't shake between drops, I find it gives off a white cast. It does need a few minutes to set. So if the color looks off, give it a minute or two.

It gives good light to medium coverage. I did not like the finish that was achieved when I tried to add a second layer. On me at least, it looked heavy. The product may be "buildable", but I feel the "natural" look may be compromised. So for me, 1 layer and a good spot concealer does the trick. I set my foundation with a dusting of the BE Mineral Veil.

The finish is natural but dewy when compared to their powder formula. So if you're a Matte lover, I would steer clear of this product. BUT note, I was a loyal Matte lover, until I tried this product. It was a bit of a "game changer" for me.

Immediate and long term benefits: This product makes a lot of BIG claims.
I'm almost scared to say this, fearing that people will buy based on my experience. But their "brightening" claim, I found to be true. As I sometimes go out the door wearing nothing but a moisturizer with SPF, my bare skin, mid-day, can look dull or tired. Using this product regularly helps combat the dullness, with and without make up. Their claim to be "tone correcting", true as well. I can't put it into words, but just like the bareMinerals Powder foundation, my bare skin looks better and better the more I use it. But that was just my experience. And their claim for a more youthful appearance, I found that to be true as well. But I suspect that's the "dewy" finish.

The consistency of the serum is surprisingly light or even thin. It's the thinnest I've ever seen in a foundation or even a BB cream. It's thin, but covers well. It's messy. I thought that by switching to a liquid, my counters would be spared a powdery mess, but it was just replaced with a liquid one. But I found a trick. The mess happens after I've shaken it with the cap on (even when the cap is fully closed with the audible "click"). I think that when it's being shaken the small amount of pressure that is created, forces the serum up into the small space between the spout and the lid. So when you open the cap, the serum that was forced out escapes down the sides of the spout. To shake the product, I remove the cap and place my finger over the small spout and shake vigorously. This way the product has no nook or cranny to escape to. I also store it upright all the time. This has helped tremendously with mess and minimize product waste.

The pricing is fantastic. With quality and fluid ounces considered, it's an awesome value. A little goes a long way with this product.

Overall, I would absolutely repurchase. I'm eager to know how this will perform in the cooler months of the year. I suspect I'll like it even more then. Will I totally be replacing my bareMinerals with this? No, for two reasons. The first, old habits die hard. And second, I've used bareMinerals for 15 years and I firmly believe that it is one of the things that has helped slow down the aging process of my skin. It has to be the bareMinerals, because it's been the only constant in all of my make-up wearing years.

9 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 7/31/2014 7:39:00 PM More reviews by jrmanor

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I love this foundation! I was looking for a foundation that was light and not too full in coverage and this was recommended to me. It's super thin but covers enough with just a light layer. You can build coverage if you need more all over or just in certain spots, and it just looks so natural. It comes in so many shades with lots of different undertones, so it's easy to match to any skin tone. It's also pretty moderately priced, I think it was $28 at Sephora. My only complaint is that when I shake the bottle, some liquid leaks out the top and gets all on the inside of the cap so that it's messy when I open it up. I try to clean it out after each use but I feel like I'm losing product that way.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/30/2014 1:33:00 PM More reviews by Mamaxopulos

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I was a little leary about trying this product since I typically don't use liquid foundations. I read up on this product and decided to give it a try. I really like this stuff a lot. I think it has the perfect coverage that I need, which is light to medium. I don't use the brush that is recommended with it, I use my Sigma flat kubaki brush and haven't had any troubles. The only small downfall is that the shade I use (bare linen) isn't a 100% match, but it is very, very close. I think over time they will come out with more shades, just like they did with the powder. I have worn this foundation outside and it didn't smear off my face, which is nice.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/30/2014 11:33:00 AM More reviews by Lunatrick

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

SHAKE WELL (with the cap on! learn from my mistakes lol) BEFORE AND DURING APPLICATION.

Let me say right up front that if you are really oily like I am, you may not like this product! I like it so I am willing to use my oil blotter papers twice a day. A mattifying primer may help with this, but all primers seem to make me break out so I haven't tried anything like that.

I went from hating this foundation when I first bought it, to absolutely loving it once I learned the best way to use it. You do NOT need the brush, I use my $3 ELF small stipple brush and it gets the job done just fine. When I first tried this out, I was putting drops right on my brush and it took like 8 drops to cover my face and it didn't even cover all that well, so I was super frustrated and went back to my old foundation. Then the other day I saw a YouTuber (I'm so sorry if you're reading this, I can't remember who you were!) who said to put 2 drops on the back of your hand, and then take your finger and dot that around on half your face and THEN blend it out with your foundation brush, and it was like a miracle. 4 drops (2 for each half) easily covered my whole face with good light-medium coverage. I was even able to take a little of what was left on the back of my hand and dot it on a few areas that needed extra redness coverage with my finger to get a better layer of cover. And then set the whole thing with powder, of course. Now I use it every day and it doesn't break me out and life is wonderful.

Added notes: I am very pale (probably between NC5 and NC10) and I was color matched to the very lightest shade (bare porcelain) and it's a pretty good match. Also, this is definitely not a full coverage foundation, I'd pretty much rank it somewhere between a TM and a foundation.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 7/29/2014 2:28:00 PM More reviews by GabbyT15

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is my second day wearing this foundation and I am loving it! I'm not ready to say it's on the HG status but it's close. It's definitely light-medium coverage, which is what I most about it. If you're looking for heavy coverage, this won't work for you. A little goes a long way. I used only 3 drops and I achieved the coverage I was looking for. My skin has a beautiful healthy glow, something I haven't been able to achieve with my MAC foundation or MAC BB cream. I will say this, don't get caught up in purchasing the brush. Complete waste of money ($28). I've used the Real Techniques expert face brush ($9) with great results. Just drop some foundation directly on the brush and buff away. If I continue to achieve the same results that I have for the last two days, I don't see myself twice at my MAC products.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/29/2014 12:56:00 AM More reviews by MarifreakinA

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Thanks for the replies! Bought the foundation yesterday, the lady at the jcp sephora was incredibly helpful and didn't try to sell me the brush. I was matched with a 7 but the colors are so confusing because I feel like you could find a bunch that match with your skin tone. I love this foundation! It glides on smooth and looks flawless all day! It's super easy to apply when you use a flat top brush, I usually only need 4 drops for my entire face. The only problem I have is the bottle that it comes in, it's hard to squeeze out the product so I wish it came in either a pump or even a spill bottle. Other than that, I love the foundation, it doesn't break me out and when I take it off my face looks better! I'll most likely buy this stuff again since it just gives such a flawless look.