August 1, 2014 | 1236 users online

Concealers - NARS - Radiant Creamy Concealer

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/1/2014 6:20:00 AM More reviews by mariella99

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Insert sad face icon here! I fully expected to be wowed by this concealer. I had done my research and read all the reviews. I was matched to the shade Custard (which, from my own research, I fully expected would be the right shade for me in any case). Well, it hasn't been the best of experiences for me. For starters, Custard really is YELLOW...I have to be SO careful to blend away the edges or else this is really noticeable under my eyes, so if I'm not wearing foundation and just want to wear concealer, this is a problem. I might not mind so much if this at least covered my dark circles more effectively, but it doesn't. Finally, for something named "Creamy", this looks dry and scaly under my eyes. I always wear eye cream but with this, I have to put on a 2nd application.

When I was at the Sephora VIB event this past weekend, the SA (a different one from the one who colour matched me 2 weeks earlier), suggested that Custard might not be the best shade for me and perhaps I should try Vanilla. Well, at $32 (Canadian) a pop, it's a pricey "trial". I think I'll look for my receipt and/or get a sample of Vanilla (if they can scrape some into a sample container) and if Vanilla is truly better for me, return the Custard shade. But to be honest, I was expecting something much better in terms of coverage and more "radiant" and "creamy" finish, rather than dry and scaly.

UPDATE: While I haven't returned this yet (but I'm going to; just wanted to keep it for the sake of comparison with my new purchase), I did pick up the shade Vanilla and it IS a much better match for me. So I am a lot happier but I still find that this concealer looks very dry and makes my under-eye area look dry and scaly and I do use an eye cream (though I might try a somewhat richer one to see if this helps). It sort of puts me in mind of MAC Studio Sculpt concealer, which was simply awful on my dark circles for the same reason. While the Nars concealer is considerably better, it's still not great in this regard, especially since it is supposed to have "radiant, creamy" qualities. But because the colour match is better, I've upped my rating to 4 lippies and changed my "No" to a "Yes" regarding repurchase although, to be perfectly honest, I'm not sure I'd lash out over $30 for this concealer when IT Bye Bye Under-Eye and MAC Pro-Longwear are actually somewhat better products and cost less.

ANOTHER UPDATE: So, I returned Custard and I've been working with this concealer in Vanilla. I've just changed my "repurchase" to NO. I honestly don't know what I'm doing wrong but I envy those who find the finish of this concealer to be creamy and flattering. I have to use a lot of eye cream (or the really heavy Shiseido eye cream that I generally reserve only for night because it's so greasy) to get anything even approaching a smooth finish. Otherwise, this looks dry and scaly and certainly not at all what I was expecting from Nars.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/30/2014 7:29:00 PM More reviews by heathermrm

Can it be - have I FINALLY found a concealer that actually CONCEALS my undereye circles? Wow - hell must have frozen over! I have run the entire spectrum of concealers from discount ds to hi end dept store and all have been found lacking. Many that I loved ended up being d/c (what else is new) or my skin became drier = minerals didn't work as well anymore.

I had the SA at Sephora try both Vanilla and Custard on me (for reference, I'm MAC = NC15; EM (semi-matte) = Fairly Light; Rimmel Lasting Finish 25 hour = #100 Ivory; Revlon ColorStay = #150 Buff; Avon Smooth Minerals Pressed Foundation = T04 Nude; EL Double Wear = Desert Beige; Jane Iredale = pressed base in Bisque; Lumene CC Cream = Fair; Smashbox Camera Ready CC = Fair. In spring/summer, I'm, 1 shade darker (see my np if you truly want an itemized listing).

I fully expected Vanilla or even the shade lighter (forget the name) to be right for me. I was shocked to see in a side by side comparison that both Vanilla and Custard worked for me...??? I ended up going w/ Custard because I'll be able to wear all year round whereas the Vanilla would definitely not work for me in the spring/summer = why buy 2 when 1 will do...especially at this price?

It doesn't settle in my fine lines (of course, adequate moisturization before is always a must) and it truly lasts around 12 hours on me w/out the need for any touchup. I like this and unless I find a cheaper dupe (I've seen suggestions about Maybelline FIT ME as a possibility, I will re-purchase this.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/30/2014 7:06:00 PM More reviews by mizzou_nyc

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is my absolute holy grail concealer. Within the past 5 years, I have a smattering of sun spots that have become more prominent from years of sun worshipping from my earlier years(a splatter below my left eye, which are actually quite dark, and the same under my right). I have tried COUNTLESS concealers as my skin is otherwise in pretty good shape except for hiding my pigmentation issues.

Let me go through just some of the concealers I have tried:
1) Laura Mercier secret camouflage concealer - touted heavily by makeup artists as being amazing, I just did not like the texture(to me it felt sticky), and the undertone was too peachy/weird.
2) Bobby Brown - same as with Laura Mercier, that I wasn't a fan of the texture and I could not find a great match
3) YSL - Coverage was just ok, blending it was not easy as it was dry(coverage looked cakey), and the staying power was not great
4) Drugstore brands from Revlon to Maybelline - not horrible, but certainly not great.

Why I love this concealer: I avoided liquid concealers and always thought there was no way a light/think liquid could effectively cover my sun spots - I was so wrong as this product is highly pigmented! I have combination skin(leans more towards oily), and I dab a little under each of my eyes, and pat gently, and it looks totally flawless!! It never looks cakey or heavy, it looks exactly like my skin and I'm so impressed with the staying power - all day strong. I'm range btw NC 20-30 depending on how much sun I get and the color Custard is just perfect. I love this product so much, and my only regret is I wish I found it sooner.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/29/2014 1:32:00 PM More reviews by bitterrose1025

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I really like this concealer. I use it for blemishes. It covers well and stays on pretty much all day. I like that it isn't too creamy that it melts off but it isn't too drying that it looks crusty and gross on the blemish. It's ok for underneath the eyes but I have other concealers I prefer for that area. Overall, it's a good product and I would repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/23/2014 10:04:00 PM More reviews by kinamorata

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have a few scars from acne on my cheeks and I resemble a panda without concealer. I finally caved and purchased this at a whopping $32 CAD for 0.22oz. I'm NC30 and use Custard (described as "yellow tone for light to medium complexion.")
NARS' description is "a creamy concealer with hydrating, multiaction skincare benefits and light diffusing technology to create a softer, smoother complexion." I'm unsure about the claim of the light diffusing technology but the coverage is almost full.
For application, I pull the wand out once (there is more than enough product for a single usage) and dot it on the scars and swipe it under each eye and then blend away with the Face Shop foundation brush (which is a dupe of the popular Shiseido foundation brush!) I usually set it with Hourglass dim light or Make Up For Ever duo mat and that combination lasts ten plus hours; the eye area does not crease. The only con is the packaging, it's concealer in lip gloss form. I really wish they'd repackage it in either a tube or heck even a jar! This is my HG concealer. One final thing - when I use it on a pimple, I dot a small amount of product on my finger and then on my face. I don't want to contaminate the wand.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/23/2014 11:25:00 AM More reviews by EIGNA

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I love, love, love this concealer. It is forgiveness in wand form. I am NW15 and use the shade Vanilla and it's a perfect match. This concealer covers well without looking noticeable or highlighting the area you are trying to conceal. Doesn't get cakey or patchy. Stays fresh all day. I only use this on spots or ruddy areas, so I cannot comment on how it performs on undereye circles. I will repurchase this as long as NARS makes it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/23/2014 11:04:00 AM More reviews by Anera

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I haven't had high expectations for this concealer. I haven't had 'luck' with raved products: they either don't work on my skin (tone/type) or they don't end being unique as the reviewers claim them to be.

I am an MUFE 117, BB 02, MAC NC15, Bourjois 51, and I ordered the second lightest shade (Vanile), based on online swatches.

The color matches me perfectly. It's slightly lighter than my skintone, making the eye area slightly highlighted, brightened. I use it on my dark circles. The concealer provides medium coverage: the circles aren't diminished, they're still there, but the purplish-ness is less noticeable, making the whole effect really natural.
It doesn't dry out my skin: I prep my skin using an eye cream (FYI Avene) after which I apply 1-2 dots per eye. The good thing about this concealer is that it doesn't settle in my fine lines (mimic, dehydrated) and lasts whole day (8+ hrs). It sets pretty fast, once applied, so one should work fast with it. I do set it with a translucent powder (MUFE, theBalm) although it dries dry-to-touch.

I would definitely recommend it to those who are having hard time finding a good under eye concealer that doesn't settle into fine lines, doesn't dry out the eye area and has good longevity. I will be repurchasing it - for ever.

The product is:
- non drying
- crease resistant
- long lasting
- brightening
- creamy
- color correcting
- settles dry-to-touch

I would never invest in Bobbi Brown's corrector/concealer duo, though I almost bought it (the price was a great deal breaker). There's no NARS where I live, but I order it over a friend who traveled to US. I've tested the BB concealer duo: it creased really fast, and costs a fortune ($40)!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 3/22/2014 9:48:00 PM More reviews by Nataliegsno

Super disappointed by this concealer. I've seen a lot of positive reviews for this so I was expecting to love it. I first tried this under my eyes and set it the way I always set my undereye concealer and it creased and settled into fine lines like nothing I've ever experienced before. It made the lines under my eyes look so much worse and it didn't completely cover my dark circles. I then tried it on my face to cover my acne scarring and again it didn't cover those either. Considering it doesn't conceal well and is $30 I'm gonna return it.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/18/2014 12:03:00 AM More reviews by dolceviiita

I've been using this for several weeks now and have to say I've gotten from HATING it to LOVING it. I first hated this concealer because like some people say, it does look a little cakey under the eyes but what really made me dislike this concealer was because it seemed to settle into my fine lines even though I would set it with my Laura Mercier translucent powder right away. I thought for the first week that this concealer was a waste of money, but I was determined to make it work because the color match (Custard) was right on for my NC20 skin. After another week of experimenting, I have found the one product that helps this look smooth and actually last! MAC's Fast Response eye cream! One little dot of it under each eye, smoothed out and then two little dots of concealer, and TA-DAH! No caked under eyes. Smooth appearance, and full coverage of my heavy dark circles! Oh and might I add, doing the same trick to my hyperpigmentation spots really helps too! My boyfriend thought I had a facial or got laser to remove the hyperpigmentation because of this little trick! I don't even need to wear foundation :) I will definitely be keeping up with this extra step in applying this concealer because this definitely has helped me LOVE this product!

rated 2 of 5 on 3/17/2014 11:52:00 PM More reviews by SB213

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Neutral Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Dry dry dry. I don't even have fine lines under my eyes and this concealer somehow makes them appear. Tried eye creams, oils, serums, fix plus, setting sprays, powder, no powder. Just looks so dry and creased every time. Will not repurchase.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No