November 26, 2014 | 1240 users online

Palettes - Urban Decay - NAKED Basics

rated 4 of 5 on 5/2/2014 2:52:00 AM More reviews by acciohashi

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

UPDATE: This isn't very sturdy after a few months. The glue came off from behind the black pan and I lost some product --not cute :/
This product definitely has some good staples.
Pros:
Smooth(for the most part)
Heavy pigmentation
Easy to blend
"Basic" colors(1 highlight, 2 lid, 1 transition/light contour, 1 contour color, 1 natural black eyeliner or shader)
Natural looking
(Mostly) won't enhance uneven skin textures
True matte(mostly), but not dry looking
*KINDA*Travel friendly packaging
Wears well
No fall out

Cons:
Not the creamiest to FEEL, can be a bit dry
Darker shades are a bit harder to blend
Lighter shades can sheer out easily
Naked2 is too light for the medium to dark skin tones as a contour
Venus

Neutrals:
Not much beyond the "basics"
Price, affordable for high end, expensive for drugstore, definitely mid range
Excellent quality... For mattes
Venus is not semi matte, except for maybe Urban Decay standards
Needs a good quality brush(as all good quality brushes do), preferably natural haired
Needs primer and base for maximum longevity and and opaqueness
Not suitable for wet application with water(in my experience)

This palette will work best with fair to light to medium skin tones with warm or cool undertones, but deeper or more neutral skin tones can work with it though. The colors are definitely neutral to warm colors, with the exception of the light taupe(Naked2) and even that is pretty neutral.

Venus is satin/pearl off white with a slight yellow golden candlelight shift/glow and visible bigger shimmer particles. That is Urban Decay's fatal flaw, all the glimmer and glitter and shimmer, and of course they couldn't resist even in their natural matte palette. This is my least favorite shade. Even dusted lightly, it exaggerates uneven skin texture, like blemishes or fine lines or pores or crepe or hooded/almond lids. Take into account that I got this for my 16th birthday, so I have very little lines on my eyes. Some shimmer particles go everywhere. For a similar effect, I use a off white golden sheened eyeshadow from a very cheap palette. It's not expensive to make this type of shade in a more suitable satin/matte finish or even straight up satin.

Foxy is a pretty light matte warm yellow beige. It's not off-white and is darker than quite a few beiges and nudes, but it could afford to be a little deeper. The yellow undertones are a neutral yellow, no blue or green or gray undertones and no orange or red undertones. This is a great extremely natural lid shade for people with yellow undertones(although it can enhance sallowness). It can also cancel out redness. I like layering this with a taupe and a brown to make a more natural contour for my yellow skintone. You can also use this a powder base all over to make other shades on top blend better and pop more. It might not work great for deeper skin tones as lid shades and would probably be a highlight or maybe a wash. A primer and base definitely make it pop more.

W.O.S. (Walk of Shame, WOS) is a lighter warm pink beige color. This is slightly lighter than Foxy and the pink undertones don't lean orange or gray or mauve(light pink-purple). Urban Decay should have definetely afforded to make this deeper as I'm sure many of you fair ladies with pink undertones don't want more pink. It does retain a good amount of beige, so it could be an uber natural lid color. It can also be a wash of a powder base eyeshadow. It's
A great lid color to correct sallowness. It is slightly less pigmented and really needs packing or a base to make it look less off white(though it never looks truly off white, just beige).

Using Foxy under WOS and viceversa makes the color on too really pop and look true to pan.

Naked2 is a light taupe, brown plus gray, with neutral undertones. The brown base is more of a light beige and isn't red or yellow or orange or green or purple or blue in undertone. The gray base is also very neutral and distinctive enough to make this show a discernible light contour or a transition shade. When layering, it makes colors cooler. It is better for fairer skin tones, but it is workable enough for deeper skin tones. It is also great for mapping out the shape or for smudging in the lower lid. It also makes a great eyebrow color for cooler haired people and even to map out brows for people with sparse brows but blackish hair. It is slightly darker than Naked.

Faint is a medium neutral brown. It is great for deepening and contouring and crease work. Layering can result in amore natural contour. This color will show up in a good variety of skin tones. It's a great brow color for brunettes or natural liner. On very deep skin,ebony, this could be a good lid shade.

Crave is a very dark black with neutral brown undertones. For a black, it is pretty warm. Some people call this an almost black color, but it totally isn't. It's black on the eye. Since it is a bit brown based(I had to squint to see it, and then compare it to my blackest blacks), it is a more natural black. If you have super black and thick brows, this would be a great brow color. Of course, it's sets eyeliner and mascara.

Overall, it has *kinda* convenient packaging for travel/on-the-go: very compact and sturdy and has a mirror. Lights would have made it perfect. The packaging isn't hard to use; you just have to stick a nail in the ledge until it gives and lift.

The eyeshadow quality stays on pretty well, whether on a brush or on the lid. It doesn't fall everywhere, which I sometimes find the case with shades like black. The quality is a bit hit or miss, but all eyeshadow colors still retain at least good quality. Without a primer or base, all colors have at least a moderate pigmentation but may need more or less layering to reach full opacity. If you need these staple shades, other options may be more versatile and be more a better value than about 30 dollars for 3 shades,

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/30/2014 9:09:00 PM More reviews by pjw1209

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Love this palette and it's a MUST HAVE if you can no longer wear shimmer, shine or sparkles. Originally, I purchased the Naked palette #91663, which I believed was NAKED, but it turned out to have way too many shimmery shadows for my 50 plus, semi-wrinkled eyelids. This Naked Basic is my perfect daily palette. My favorites are W.O.S., Naked 2, and Faint. I use Crave as an eyeliner and to tight-line too.

Venus is too light for my skin-tone and Foxy is too yellow for me. As suspected with palettes, they are all rarely used. All shadows stay on without a primer and they're easy to apply. Since they're all light neutrals I wasn't expecting all day staying power, but I haven't had any problems. Faint lasts the majority of the day and Crave definitely stays on as liner and it will stay if you tight-line too . Overall, I've been very pleased with both UD palettes I've purchased. UD mattes do not accentuate my wrinkled eyelids. I'll be going back to purchase singles when another sale is offered.

Only negative is the palette doesn't open easily ~ It sits semi open on my vanity, which isn't great. I wish UD would come out with more matte shades...

rated 4 of 5 on 4/16/2014 11:03:00 PM More reviews by Teenitinytina

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

I love this product. It gives the perfect nude eye look and can also be used to transform the look from day to night. Everything you need is in this small compact. I love the black for setting my eyeliner and the rest to create many versatile looks.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/16/2014 5:55:00 PM More reviews by bikerchick

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

This is such a fantastic little palette! It's great for neutral matte looks, no makeup looks, and even a dark matte smokey eye. I however use it mainly for blending. Even though 5 of the 6 colors are matte, they blend very easily and are not dry or powdery at all. And even the light colors are very pigmented. Naked2 is probably the best color I have ever found to blend dark lid shades into my crease. I have rather small and hooded lids so darker crease colors don't work well on me. WOS is a really good base color, and I was thrilled to see that Venus had a hint of satin shimmer. I really don't like matte highlight shades. Basics is the perfect size for travel, and the price is just right. I would honestly think that almost every woman who wears makeup would have a use for Naked Basics.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/16/2014 2:04:00 PM More reviews by MissKimKat

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I love super glittery and super colorful eyeshadows, but this palette is a must for me. I have used it almost daily since I got it and it may be the first palette I will ever hit pan on. It's true that the lighter colors are similar, but the slight sheen on Venus make it great for subtle highlighting for the brow bone and inner corners. It's a great stand alone palette and indispensable for blending out more dramatic looks. It travels well and has a decent sized mirror. I will definitely purchase again.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/16/2014 1:12:00 PM More reviews by ReggieJackson

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Love love love!!!! These are so easy to use and if you make a mistake, you can just blend and fix easily. I use these with the UD primer and the colours last all day. I sometimes add a bit of my Ammo palette to add some more pop, but I am so happy with the quality and colour payoff with these. I am fairly new to eyeshadow, and this makes you look like a pro without it being rocket science! I have been using my Rehab eyeshadow stick on the top lash line and it looks great with these colours.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/16/2014 3:32:00 AM More reviews by hannahps

Since grabbing this palette in the Sephora check-out line, I have used it every single day. I wasn't a huge fan of matte shadows before I discovered this but I am now a convert! They're so much more polished and put together for every day and can be more dramatic for an evening look (especially the shadows in this palette). I actually love all six shades - Venus is the perfect highlight, Foxy and WOS are good for all over the lid, Naked 2 is a good transition/blending colour, Faint is nice for in the crease and Crave is a perfect matte black (which I haven't had a chance to use yet). The texture of the shadows is buttery and smooth and they are really easy to blend! A little bit expensive ($33 in Canada) but worth it for the quality of the shadows.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/15/2014 3:50:00 PM More reviews by sarah_417

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Some of the shades in the Naked palettes that I own are far too much glitter for my liking. This palette is a great add-on to mix and match for some much needed mattes.

As a stand alone, this palette is a pass for me. The problem I have with it is the range of colors. There are one too many light shades, and not enough medium. It just isn't versatile enough. I rarely grab for this palette.

The shadows are good quality, but I prefer Lorac shadows to Urban Decay. I think they blend a little easier and apply smoother.

If you are just starting with makeup, this might be a good palette for you. Or if you want to add a few mattes to your collection, this might make a good addition to your collection.

I ended up giving mine to my 14 year old niece, and it is perfect for her for daily age appropriate looks.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/14/2014 8:08:00 PM More reviews by Nutellamonster

It's not basic don't be fooled by the name this shit rocks my socks!'nn. I'm not even wearing socks' nutella man

rated 5 of 5 on 4/11/2014 2:30:00 PM More reviews by thekyayu

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I tried so hard to pass up this palette but as I was at the check out line in Sephora I just saw it sitting there and yanked it up.
Man am I glad I got it.
I use this every single day and I absolutely love it! I've had this palette for about a month and a half now and I've barely made a dent in any of the shadows.
I love the very neutral look it gives me for work.
I fly all the time and I love that this little compact can just fit right into my small make up bag and I take it everywhere.
I love Crave for my liner and I love how Walk of Shame neutralises my lid.
I also use Naked 2 as my brow color and its fantastic!
I will absolutely buy this product again when I run out.
HG product!