August 29, 2014 | 1656 users online

Cleansers - Neutrogena - Ultra Gentle Foaming Cleanser

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 1/11/2013 4:04:00 PM More reviews by Tovah

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I ran out of my Neutrogena Grapefruit Oil-Free Acne Wash, and, (silly of me), I asked my 18 year old and 13 year old sons to pick up a new bottle for me, since they were going to Target. I even texted a photo of the product to both of them. Of course, they "couldn't find" what I wanted, but they bought Neutrogena Grapefruit Foaming Scrub, Liquid Neutrogena soap, Neutrogena Cleansing Wipes, and Neutrogena Ultra Gentle Foaming Cleanser...assuming there was something in the bunch that would satisfy my mysterious facial needs. (Turns out I like the Grapefruit Scrub quite a lot. I digress.) Being the new owner of a large bottle of Neutrogena Ultra Gentle Foaming Cleanser, I gave it a try. For me, it's absolutely horrible! Awful! It didn't cleanse my face at all...I could still see blush on my cheeks after a wash! But the worst part is the scent. This is the most highly perfumed face wash I've ever used...and I've used Lancome, Noxzema, you-name-it. I cannot STAND the scent of it - it smells like a heavy version of Arm & Hammer laundry detergent, but I doubt it's that gentle. Even though it didn't clean my face, it made it feel stripped. Since I regularly use Grapefruit Acne wash with salicylic acid and my face never feels stripped, it was disconcerting to have an "ultra gentle" wash make me feel like my skin shrunk. Beware - this is no substitute for any version of Cetaphil.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/3/2013 12:03:00 AM More reviews by sammmmtan

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

oh my gosh. This product is godsend. I hate Neutrogena foundations, but this cleanser makes me love them just a little bit. I actually had severe irritation from one of their foundations and I needed a really gentle cleanser. My mom picked this out for me. I was initially hesitant to try this, but it has done nothing but good things for my skin. My cheeks are always red, but for the first time in my whole life (I was kinda allergic to myself when I was a baby...it's a long story), my cheeks are nearly the same color as my face. My skin doesn't feel tight or irritated. Thank goodness.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/29/2012 12:54:00 PM More reviews by Charlotte8403

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

love this stuff! i have pretty oily skin but it gets dry easily so i have to be careful what face wash i use. foaming face washes like this usually dry out my face too much but this didn't. also, i like that it has a light fragrance. i hate the funny smell unfragranced products have.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/28/2012 7:27:00 AM More reviews by DieMyDarling

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Thank goodness I found this cleanser! I had been using Cetaphil facial cleanser for normal to oily skin, but it stripped my skin too much and cetaphils normal gentle cleanser didn't clean well enough for my easily congested skin, and both are full of parabens!! Of course the companies using these cheap ingredients proven to cause serious health issues promise you they're safe...but that's another rant for another day.
This cleanser gently and painlessly removes all of my eye makeup with ease, and I use udpp, mac prep n' prime, and a lot of eye products for work, so this is impressive.
I looked in the sink while rinsing this cleanser off and saw all of my makeup pouring off of my face's rinse water.
I patted my face dry and my skin was super clean and soft, smooth, but not dry or tight at all.
I follow up with a 2% salicylic toner treatment (if I'm not using retin-a after) and my cotton pad was totally clean, so I know this cleanser removed everything!
It's just perfect. I love that the second ingredient is glycerin, and the ingredient list isn't a mile long.
I started using this right after a chemical peel and microdermabrasion and had zero irritation. Ultra gentle is right!
I do have sensitive skin and have noticed a drastic reduction in redness since using this product with retin-a 0.025% once or twice a week along with the ultra gentle spf 15 lotion. I feel good about my skin without wearing any sort face powder or foundation my skin tone has become so even and oil production so regulated. :)
This is an upgrade for those who used Cetaphil (which also had fragrance). For those who found the fragrance irritating, I'm sorry to hear that, b/c I hardly noticed any.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 11/23/2012 9:49:00 AM More reviews by Arosci

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Other, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I've been using this cleanser for more than one month and, although I can't get used to the fragrance, I have to admit this cleanser is not so far from being a Holy Grail because it is rare to find such a gentleness in a cleanser, which is exceptional considering it is a foaming and clean-rinsing formula.

PROS
- very gentle cleansing base (it removes excess oils only, my skin stays silky),
- does not strip moisture from the skin (my skin is really less tight, and needs less moisturizer),
- very silky texture that glides over the skin (especially if you spread it as a gel without trying to make it foam first in your hands),
- rinses very easily and clean (my skin is clean but not squeaky clean),
- reasonably priced for a huge amount of product.

CONS
- too gentle to remove makeup easily (except for the “just powdered” makeup look),
- looses its glide once it begins to foam (which makes it less comfortable to use),
- overwhelming fragrance !!!!

Whether this fragrance is “especially developped” for sensitive skin or not, Neutrogena should understand that many people with sensitive, easily irritated skin, have learned to avoid, fear and hate fragrance for all their life. As one of these people, my nose is in pain with the slightest amount of fragrance in any of my skincare products, and I need the relief/rest of a no-smell product.

Of course I knew it was fragranced (its written on the bottle), and I thought I could handle a hint of fragrance in a rinse-off product… but I didn’t expect it to be so strong during the cleansing process !

As someone else wrote on Neutrogena’s website : “if you are one of those people that think it does not have too much perfume, then you do not have sensitive skin.”

So, until Neutrogena launches a fragrance-free formula of this cleanser, CeraVe’s Foaming cleanser remains my favourite foaming cleanser (fragrance-free and almost smell-free, more glide, more cleansing ability).

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 11/14/2012 11:21:00 AM More reviews by SweatpantsMoney

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Why does a product labelled "gentle" have fragrance? I have used this two mornings now and already have red, raw irritation on the sides of my nose and my cheeks are itching. It seemed to cleanse well without overdrying, but I will have to stop using it. It's really disappointing because everything else about this is great, including the price.

EDIT: I realized while reading to my toddler that this smells EXACTLY like "Pat the Bunny"!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/3/2012 9:53:00 PM More reviews by honeybeesting

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I'm surprised at the negative reviews for this product, but I guess skincare always varies from person to person. I LOVE this stuff. It's the only cleanser I've found that is genuinely both effective and gentle. I usually either wind up with skin that feels greasy or tight but this cleanser hits the spot between refreshing and gentle. It costs more than other Neutrogena cleansers but it also comes in a huge bottle and you only need a tiny dab. For a product that bills itself as ultra gentle it does have a fairly strong fragrance (I think it's the same one in the acne cleanser, it smells very familiar). It doesn't bother me at all but if you are very sensitive to fragrances it might be a problem. Anyway when I finally do finish a bottle of this stuff I have every intention of repurchasing it because it makes my skin feel great.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 10/25/2012 5:43:00 PM More reviews by highschool101

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This product is crap, it broke my skin out even more, dried it out, did absolutely nothing but wreck my skin. DO NOT purchase this! It is a waste of your money

rated 1 of 5 on 10/25/2012 5:26:00 PM More reviews by leah1988

Made my combination skin beet red and irratated!Smelled nice and was hoping for the price it would work out......... back to the drawing board!

rated 1 of 5 on 10/24/2012 10:39:00 AM More reviews by RickyBobby

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I've been looking for a cleanser for my combo skin and since I've had good luck with Neutrogena in the past I thought I'd give this a try. Unfortunately, this cleanser is pretty terrible. I'm not sure how good it at washing your face, but it's excellent at washing my forearms. This cleanser is so liquidy, that by the time I'm done washing my face, most of the cleanser has slid down to my forearms, so much so that I actually have to scrub them under water to make sure the soap is all gone. It supposedly foams, but if you consider 7 - 8 bubbles "foam" then I guess it does. It smells ok, and so far (knock wood) hasn't broke me out, but it's so runny & doesn't foam, it feels like I got it at the dollar store. Normally, if I don't like a product, as long as it hasn't broken me out or make me look hideous, I'll use it until it's gone, because I hate spending so much on soap. However, I think I'm bailing early on this one just because it's such a PIA.