July 29, 2014 | 2054 users online

Lip Treatments - E.L.F. - Studio Lip Exfoliator

rated 1 of 5 on 12/14/2013 4:17:00 PM More reviews by nancyellenb

I purchased this product after hearing rave reviews about it - not only on the site, but from several YouTube makeup gurus that I follow/watch. Unfortunately, I did not have a good experience with this product. It seemed overly "gritty" and harsh on my lips, and instead of making them feel soft and supple, they became, red, irritated, and scaly. Not sure if there was too much "grit" in the stick I purchased, but I'll stick with my overpriced SUGAR lip exfoliator over this one.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/14/2013 2:01:00 PM More reviews by CordulaM

I saw this in the store and quickly checked MUA. :) I saw the glowing reviews so I picked it up, knowing that the price was good. I do have some facial scrubs I hardly use that I had occasionally used on my lips, but this pleasantly surprised me in how much better it was than that method. Firstly, it tastes way better lol and actually seems to work. But what I really love is that it's like a lipstick. How freaking convenient! I think this is my only 5 lippie package review. How perfectly obvious! I love it. Also it has all these nice oils and even my kids will use it (FINALLY to help their dry chapped lips!)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/12/2013 8:46:00 AM More reviews by stimwink1

I am a lip exflolating addict. I have several products from ETSY vendors which I love but ELF I love because I can stick it in my bag and tote it with me to use if I need to exfoliate my dry lips before using highly pigmented lipstick.

The formula at least on my stick is a little too gritty and dry on the flat end so I gently rub that on and then flip it to the otherside that's a bit more creamy. I'll get a weird shape I know but because it's not my color I can live with it.

The smell is honey and brown sugar and it tastes that way too. I do lick mine off then apply a balm like blistex renewal or silk and shine. blot it off then add my color.

Yes I will repurchase again. IT's my on the go product!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/11/2013 5:26:00 PM More reviews by roseroach

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Love this to exfoliate my lip. Overall cant go wrong with this. It scrubs all the dead stuff off your lips. And perfect for when you apply you lipstick. My lips look fuller and healthier.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/10/2013 2:39:00 PM More reviews by bamberson

Great product that does exactly what it promises. Its used as a regular lipstick but instead of applying color it gently exfoliates your lips. I like to use this and then slather on vaseline before I go to sleep at night. When I wake up my lips are soft and fuller.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/28/2013 12:36:00 PM More reviews by alina08

This is an awesome product. It is cheap and effective. It only takes a little bit of product to achieve the desired result. Within a minute I had nice, smooth lips. The tube is portable and elegant as well. I could not ask for more.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/23/2013 3:29:00 AM More reviews by Zelmora

Love this stuff, use it in combination with Carmex to exfoliate. Sleek, sturdy packaging and the price is very cheap considering that it's a rather unique product. The ingredients are lovely (shea butter, vitamin e, etc) and it tastes sweet. Definitely repurchasing!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/20/2013 12:38:00 AM More reviews by timothybcat

This is yet another extraordinary product from ELF. Although it's not exactly an essential to my beauty routine, it does live up to its claims. For $3.00!!! What? The more great products I get from ELF, the more convinced I am that other cosmetic companies are taking us all for a ride.

Sometimes I just have that little bit of icky dry skin that won't move no matter how much I moisturize, and that's where ELF's Lip Exfoliator comes in. That nasty wrinkly stuff is not cute under matte lipstick, so you HAVE to do something. It's not really a balm per se, although it is moisturizing, and it's not my primary lip moisturizer. For that, I use Blistex Deep Renewal, which has SPF 15. At first I didn't think it had enough friction to slough off much dead, dry skin, but once I wore down the tip it has much more friction. I don't wipe it off as the directions as ELF instructs. The sugar crystals melt and sugar is a humectant, which is never a bad thing. (If I'm applying it right before a lipstick, I do wipe it off.)

As someone else mentioned, I was worried that this would trigger a cold sore breakout, but I've been using it several times per week for that past 2-3 weeks and haven't found it irritating at all. My primary cold sore triggers are stress (can't do anything about that, can we?) and sun (the reason I wear the Blistex Deep Renewal). This exfoliator is very grainy, so just be careful and don't keep grinding it over your lips and you should be fine. If I get a breakout, I'll add a warning to the review. That doesn't mean it's not a terrific product for everyone else.

UPDATE 12/20/13: Now that I've been using this for over a month, I wanted to update my review especially for the winter and for those who are prone to cold sores who might be wary of this product.

It's been very snowy and dry here in Chicago, and I've been using this a LOT. At first I used it about 2 or 3 times per week, just to be safe because as I mentioned I'm prone to cold sores myself. You definitely have to be careful about making any tiny tears in your lips when you're vulnerable to those breakouts. Well, I started using it as a once a day treatment, and I'm happy to report there have been no breakouts. My lips don't feel sore or torn up after use, in fact quite the opposite. I think you would REALLY have to grind and grind this into your lips repeatedly for to cause any noticeable abrasion.

This week it's been soooo dry, and I've been using every balm and moisturizing gloss in my arsenal. But this just seems to really smooth out and penetrate my lips when nothing else works. Once you get down into the product it "melts" into your lips better and you get more of the sugar. It leaves a thin smattering of small grains on my lips and slowly melts into them, and I don't wipe it off like the instructions tell you to. It feels so good and smells so good it's addictive. This is stuff is fantastic, and it's been a real, uh, lip saver.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/18/2013 4:17:00 AM More reviews by lilysdoll

I purchased this after a fellow MUAer mentioned it on a board. Picked it up at Target. The price is great. I love the packaging and fact that it more of a solid in a lipstick form rather than a more liquid formula in a tube. Its easy to use and I feel the semi solid formula allows you to apply it with as much or as little pressure as you want. Does a nice job at removing dry patches. Moisturizes, smells and tastes sweet. Sugary. Overall I really like this product. I have used Philosophy's lip exfoliator also and actually prefer this. Price is right too. Give it a try. :)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/18/2013 3:25:00 AM More reviews by Reservechic

This product is great to use to exfoliate your lips with to take off dead skin. It has a sweet smell to it, that I don't find to be overpowering. It has these exfoliating granuals of sugar throughout. Also, there are hydrating ingredients included within it too. So, this way, your lips can be left feeling softer and smoother looking after each time that you use this little miracle product!

I love this stuff so much till I actually own backups of it. As, I don't ever want to be without it.