October 23, 2014 | 1248 users online

Makeup Brushes - Real Techniques by Samantha Chapman - Setting Brush

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/20/2013 5:31:00 PM More reviews by Spurklie

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

Thank you Sam Chapman for creating this brush. There has long, long been a gap in the market when it comes to brushes smaller than a blush/contour, but bigger than a domed eye blender brush. The only two I have had that came close were the MAC 225 (perfect, but discontinued, natch) and EDM eye kabuki (slightly too dense for a setting brush, but has its uses).

I needed, craved, a brush for setting of undereye concealer with powder and subtle highlight of cheekbones, that was not too big and not too small. I also didn't want to pay the Hakuhodo prices, awesome as they may be. Apparently Ms Chapman noticed the dearth of this type of brush too, as I've noticed in her earlier videos mentioning that the MAC 225 was discontinued and MAC always discontinue the good brushes. Enter the RT Setting Brush.

Perfectly sized for the undereye area, effective yet light as a feather for a sweep of setting powder like LM Secret Brightening Powder, it applies perfectly without dislodging any concealer underneath. Tapered and slightly flat it fits into the sides of the nose between the eyes. Synthetic bristles, dries overnight after washing. As with all RT brushes a very reasonable price, and praise be doesn't come in a set so you can buy this on its own merits and not be stuck with other ok-but-not-as-great brushes.

I have built a collection of RT brushes without even noticing, they just do their job quietly, effectively and without a huge price tag. This deserves as much hype as the buffing brush, if only for the fact it's sold as single brush!

13 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/8/2013 11:44:00 AM More reviews by ejmendez13

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have a love affair with these brushes. They're great bang for your buck! I believe this one I bought individually and it took me a while to but because it was always sold at at the three ultas in my area. I bought it not really doing my research as to what I would use it for. Trial and error sometimes works better for me when testing out products. I personally prefer to use this as my go to highlighter brush, but i also like to use it with ben nye powder or laura mercier brightening powder under the eyes and as a contour brush to use around my nose. I need to buy another one or two to use for the latter two purposes.
Pros:
Soft and dense
Relatively cheap (esp if you use the ulta coupon)
Unique size & shape
I can use it with powder or liquid products (though I find it blends powder effortlessly and liquid takes a bit more work)
Overall good quality
Cons:
None that I can think of at this moment other than it was hard for me to find but that's not really an issue with the product itself.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/8/2013 11:27:00 AM More reviews by xtinahb

A fun brush to have in the mix. I like the shorter handle size and the durable synthetic hairs really keep their shape, so Real Techniques are the brushes that go into my makeup bag on the go, since they are not precious or $$$. It's a good versatile size I use for undereye and around the nose setting, but it is slightly too dense for a light powder application, so I definitely tap a lot of powder off the brush before I apply the brush to my face. I do like the unique size though; this small to medium size is hard to find in the brush world!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/4/2013 6:51:00 PM More reviews by Polydroogie

Great for under eye setting or for highlighting. Super soft and pretty, the handle is really comfortable

rated 4 of 5 on 4/12/2013 9:46:00 AM More reviews by unicornkopi

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I love Real Techniques brushes but this is the only one I'm not so fussed about. It's lovely and soft like all the others, but not as dense (which is pretty necessary for a setting brush really). I did at first use this with my Ben Nye loose powder under my eyes and on my chin but it didnt pack the colour in enough for me, it just felt like it was dusting it around a bit.

It's too soft to use for much else in my opinion, as I use a lot of cream products including cream blush and highlighter. I might try this with some blusher for contouring but other than that I never pick it out of my brush jar. But I got it for free in the 3 for 2 at Boots so it's not all bad!

rated 3 of 5 on 3/4/2013 6:57:00 PM More reviews by daisysteiner

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I'll be honest, based on the reviews I expected this to be much softer. It's not really scratchy, but also by far not as soft as some people make it sound. I suspect this is in part because of the fact that it also isn't as dense as I thought.

Despite all of that, this is still a very decent brush of a unique size and I can recommend it. It picks up just enough powder product to be used with setting powders or highlighters, and it's nice for blending creams, although it's not quite dense enough to really buff them in. It also provides a beautiful finish.

Overall a good brush you won't easily find a dupe for.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/28/2013 4:37:00 AM More reviews by LishWilliams

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is a fantastic brush. I think it's the only real technique brush that I truly like.

It was like a dream (like all real technique brushes)
It's so soft which is perfect for around the eye area. I use It for contouring/highlighting/ powder/brush....anything that's a powder really. It's great if your traveling light, because this one brush can do so much. This brush regained my faith in real technique brush.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/26/2013 10:30:00 AM More reviews by vuvie

Dries fast after cleaning. Does not shed. Oh so soft to the skin.

Lovely for highlighting and like reviewer below, I use it for LM brightening powder for under eye sometimes.

Pixiwoo really knows how to make brushes!

But I won't repurchase cause for everyday light makeup, this is not necessary. Could learn to use it in a different way, fall in love and come back here to edit my review.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/16/2013 4:11:00 PM More reviews by StephB

Nice little brush! I use it to set my undereye concealer with my LM Brightening Powder. I occasionally set spot concealer with it. It's super soft and does the job I need it to do without smudging anything off or scratching. I'm glad I purchased. I was using some random Bare Escentuals small foundation spot brush prior to buying this. There is no comparison.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/8/2013 4:38:00 AM More reviews by Mocksoup

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Great for shimmer highlight! Great quality, great price! Leagues better than the more expensive brushes I have bought over the years. Love it!