April 19, 2014 | 1810 users online

Primer/ Corrector - Almay - Smart Shade Perfect & Correct Primer

rated 2 of 5 on 8/23/2012 2:25:00 PM More reviews by kmbobrow

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

It doesn't seem to do much? I'm just starting to use primers and this is my first one. So while I don't have anything to compare it to, it just seems to work as a moisturizer and that's it. My redness doesn't go down and my pores remain as large as ever. I won't buy this again.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/29/2012 12:58:00 AM More reviews by TangyExplosives

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Grey

I did not like this product. I started off with Hard Candy Skin Perfecting Primer but when they ran out at Walmart I purchased this instead.

For starters, when I rub it onto my eyelids the skin burns. The stuff smells awful. And I have a small amount of acne (Terrible some days, barely anything others) and some facial redness and the whole "colour correcting" thing with the purple and green did basically nothing. And my makeup lasted as long as if I hadn't put on primer to begin with.

The fact that I paid $14 for a product that had less in the packaging and did nothing compared to the Hard Candy Primer I first mentioned (which is half the price of this one) really annoyed me. I would definitely not buy this again.

On the plus side though, despite all the negative things I said the packaging is quite pretty. So if you want something useless but cute to sit amongst all the useful products in your bathroom, this primer is it.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/26/2012 11:23:00 AM More reviews by TrainedDreamer

I'm giving this product 3 lippies even though it leans more towards 4. If you're looking for a typical primer, full of silicones, to give you a ~flawless~ base, this isn't it. I'm thankful for that as silicone primers have been quite the let down for me, none of them fill in my large pores as promised, nor keep my oil at bay, nor even help aid my foundation! Seriously if anything...silicone primers make it more difficult to set my foundation. It slides right off.

Almay Smart Shade Perfect & Correct Primer is more of a mixer for my full coverage foundations, & way to keep my OILY face matte. The formula is very liquidy, but it dries down matte & keeps my oil at bay for hours. It doesn't really help with the texture of your skin, yet i'd still choose it over the silicone packed primer option anyday. But if you have dry skin...I'd suggest the latter.

I really hope Almay doesn't discontinue this primer. I've repurchased it 3 times & plan to continue. I wish I could find a high end primer that works as well as this one.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/23/2012 10:54:00 PM More reviews by Kkate142

This is an okay/not favorite product for me.It has the worst smell in america! Like after I apply these I have to wash my hands.It is just revolting, and for the horrible smell you dont get Fantastic results, I honestly notice it just slightly mimizes redness but other than that it does NOTHING for you or your skin.I am not really red, but I do like my blush color to show.I'd say skip and spend your 10 dollars somewhere else.I also don't think that 10 dollars is expensive for a primer but when it has no or tiny results, you lose your money.The packaging and how it is green and purple is pretty much what draws your attention to this product but ignore and spend your time and money elsewhere!

rated 3 of 5 on 7/19/2012 1:57:00 AM More reviews by teamsingleladys

This is the first primer I've ever used and I actually really like it. The whole "correcting" thing is wrong, I didnt notice any difference in my skin what's so ever well wearing it. I did infact like that it gave me super soft skin when I applied it and made a good barrier between me n my foundation. The packaging was cute, I like the concept of the purple and green (wish it actually did was it says) but still very cute in the bottle. Im a MAJOR fan of pumps, that was a pluse!! If I cant find anything I really like better I probably would purchase this again!

rated 2 of 5 on 6/26/2012 10:44:00 AM More reviews by haleyanna19

Maybe it's because I am 7 months pregnant, but....this gags me when I use it. Smells JUST like urine (and the reason I know what urine smells like is because I am a nurse! Lol)....gag me! I hate it, and already tossed the receipt so I cant take it back.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/19/2012 9:47:00 PM More reviews by Erinite

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Aside from being oily, my skin is fairly sensitive. This burned my face (or at least looked/felt that way) to the point that it was stinging for hours on the test spot. It was so red that a green concealer wouldn't mask it enough for me to feel confident for that day (about a week ago) and the following three. I had to was the area exclusively with oatmeal because everything else re-aggravated the damaged skin.

The only thing I like is the little pump bottle.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/13/2012 10:18:00 PM More reviews by bsampson09

The packaging and look of this product is great, nice and sleek and comes with a pump to disburse. However- I really don't understand how this product is a primer? It feels just like a moisturizer! I have to wait a bit for it to dry and the colors (green and purple) do absolutely nothing for my skin at all. Throughout the day my skin looks extra oily using this and my makeup doesn't really stay in place. The smell is pretty awful too. Ummm.. yeah, definitely won't be repurchasing.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/1/2012 9:53:00 PM More reviews by stormiangel20

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I was really excited to try this product because it was supposed to help with color correcting and it just looked so cool. But I was completely disappointed, I don't have a single good thing to say about it. I loved the pump, I thought it was very convenient, but the minute I pumped it the primer looked nasty with the colors mixed but I didn't think much of it, then I rubbed it into my skin and it smelled horrible, and it was really strong. And it felt greasy and weird on my skin but I still continued on to test it under my makeup. Needless to say it was a complete fail and I would never recommend it to anyone. I'm just glad that I didn't have to pay for the one I got.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/8/2012 12:02:00 AM More reviews by Olom

I've been only using this primer for three days and I think I like my old primer more (Quo Total Perfection Face Primer) - but it's too soon to tell so I will update in a few weeks. I was looking for a different primer because Quo has silicones in it (I think this causes me acne) and I also wanted something a bit cheaper (less than $20 CDN). I first heard of Almay Smart Shade Perfect & Correct Primer from a commercial and researched it - while it does contain silicone derivatives, they're not the top three ingredients (I think! Quo has silicones in the top two). I found this at Shoppers Drug Mart for about $18-20 CDN. The purple and green really don't do what they're supposed to - they neither brighten the skin or hide redness; it also seems to take more time to absorb into the skin (I have to wait AT LEAST 10 min before applying my creme foundation); and even after applying my foundation, my skin still has that sticky, layered feeling and my face looks shiny! To be fair though, I really think I have to use this longer since Quo had the same effects when I started using it. Maybe my skin just needs to get used to the product first? On the good side, I like the pump applicator, less than one pump of the product is enough to cover my entire face (so this goes a long way), and it's about $4 cheaper than Quo.

UPDATE: Okay, so giving this primer more time, I think I will make it my main one and not go back to Quo. To reduce that sticky feeling and the shine (especially on my forehead), I only need to use HALF a pump of this primer to cover my entire face (trust me, it's enough). Letting the primer absorb for at least 10 minutes, I use toilet paper to gently blot my T-zone in order to get rid of any excess product and face oiliness. This helps greatly!