November 28, 2014 | 1817 users online

Mascara - Revlon - Photoready 3D Volume

rated 3 of 5 on 5/18/2013 3:00:00 AM More reviews by jaseyrae

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I bought this hoping it would be a dupe for Benefit's They're Real, as the wands are very similar.
I like this mascara but do not like it enough to repurchase.
It gives good volume and separation, but the bristles on the wand poke my eyes at the base of my lashes and it is a little uncomfortable.
This also flakes on me after I wear it for a long period of time.
If I scratch or rub my eye/eyelid/lashes at all it flakes too.
This also smudges on me when I wear a hydrating under eye concealer.
Not a bad mascara, but I didn't love it.
There are better drugstore mascaras for the price.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/1/2013 6:55:00 AM More reviews by nattiekins05

I am a mascara fanatic... let me tell you. so i am rather picky when it comes down to me loving a mascara. Did i love this product? For a drug store mascara, YES. I am not a huge fan of revlon make-up because I think that its a bit over-priced (for being in a drug store), but after reading some reviews I thought I would give it a go. At Ulta, almost all of their revlon make up was buy one get one 50% off- a huge find ig your looking to try something new but dont want to pay full price. As a matter of fact, cover girl and lorel were also buy one get one 50% off, and they allowed me to mix and match brands- so I bought my staple makeup and tried a few new products at half off. When shopping at Ulta, they tell you that you are not able to mix and match, but if you read the cupon/advertisment- it says that you are able to (just a little heads up, for those that shop at Ulta). The pros about the mascara: I loved the bottle, and more importantly loved thr mascara wand. It was rather small and pliable/bendable. It made it really easy to get those itty bitty lashes, and those in the corners without covering your eyes and face with mascara. The brush bends so when you take it out of the tube, you can easily tilt it and adjust the amount of product you want on the wand. This is a must for me because i want more product when applying to my top lashes and less with the bottom... so it was easy to make the adjustment. I love that it comes in numerous colors (most of them in store, but a few I found were online only). You can get it in different shades of black, blue and brown- for those who want a spicific match, or others who want to try something new... I always hated that most of the brands that sell the funky colors of mascara usually suck, either i hate the wand, or the consistency of the product doesnt work well. I wish that blues and burgandys would always be a staple for colors of mascara, but this is the first mainstream brand that I have come across that has some edgy colors. I loved the consistency of the product, that it was right in the middle of not too thick, not too thin. It was easy to get the perfect amount on the wand, and onto my lashes without clumping and drying too fast. I love that it was so easy to build with this mascara, depending upon how dramatic you want your look to be. With that being said, after applying one layer, i got good length and a reasonable amount of volume. This mascara would work well for your everyday, but I use something with more volume and drama for nightime. Overall, this was very solid, and after a few days of using it- I will be purchasing it again after I run out. I will reccomend this product to anyone who is looking for your everyday mascara wear and use- looking for a mascara that gives you more of a natural look. If you looking for a mascara that will give you more of a falsies appearance- I would look for something else..

rated 2 of 5 on 5/1/2013 6:10:00 AM More reviews by MakeupAddiction93

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I didn't really find this mascara that great at all, I honestly wanted to like it but I found that it transfered onto my lids and under my eyes REALLY badly I did like the brush because it was easy to get all the little lashes especially the bottom ones but I found that the brush didn't get swiped enough on the way out of the bottle, leaving it with wayy too much product. I didn't find that it made my lashes much longer (thicker, yes but also a little clumpy) and it was very hard to get off even with a high end eye makeup remover. Have given this to my sister, hopefully she will like it as much as some of the other reviewers (:

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/19/2013 1:40:00 PM More reviews by ashleyanders

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

Claims - True or False?
1) Big volume lashes with two coats: True
2) Easily reach every single lash for maximum dimension: True

Packaging:
My first experience with Revlon mascaras and I'd say the packaging gets a solid average rating. Points for being a very basic, simple, classic design. The handle and length of the wand are on the shorter side but I find that this does not affect application. The tube is square, which I actually love because it is easy to set down on your counter without it rolling around everywhere. The opening of the tube however.. it's basically a cavern. Huge opening which does not help to grab onto extra product on the brush. The brush is plastic and is fairly long - probably about an inch - and straight.There are a lot of little skinny teeth which cover the whole surface of the brush, including the tip. The brush picks up a LOT of product, mostly at both ends of the brush.

Formula:
On the wetter side but closer to being a good medium wetness, so it doesn't dry too quickly but isn't wet on the lashes for ages (which can cause my lashes to start sticking together). I got the shade Blackest Black and it looks quite black without being harsh on my lashes. When applied properly, the formula is fairly lightweight and seems to work pretty well with curled lashes, although weighs it down when over-applied. No strong scent, very easy to remove.

Performance:
This mascara gives me AMAZING length, separation, and nice volume without being clumpy... but excess needs to be removed from the brush in order to get this result. I thoroughly dab the tip into the back of my hand, then roll the whole brush over my hand a few times, and then squish the bottom of the brush onto my hand over the whole circumference. This takes about 5 seconds to do overall , then the mascara is ready to be applied. To apply, I then comb it through my lashes, slightly rotating the brush as I comb (mostly for the roots). Once most of the lashes have some product on them I just continue to comb. Using this method of application gives me very long, defined, separated, natural lashes in one coat; a second coat gives me the desired volume without clumps or losing the separation. The second coat is also applied after removing excess from the brush and gets combed through only. I used the brush vertically (using the end of the brush) to get to the very inner and the tips of the outer lashes, and also to help make sure the outer lashes are 100% separated. No smudging or smearing, no flaking, and it feels comfortable on my lashes. If I apply it straight from the tube I get quite clumpy and non-separated lashes, and it feels uncomfortable at my lash roots. I've worn this overnight as well, and I actually had it on for almost 2 days and there was almost no flaking other than on the side I slept most on.

Bang for your Buck:
Around $11CAD for 10ml at Shoppers Drug Mart. I've not checked other retailers but I'm sure it'd be a bit cheaper at other locations. It's less than CoverGirl mascaras in amount given and a bit more expensive, but not too much more expensive to be a bother to me.

Final Consensus:
Not a mascara to use if you like to get your lashes done very quickly, but very much worth trying if you will take the time to remove excess product and apply two coats. I've not used it for a very long time, but so far I'm thinking that it may turn into my go-to mascara.
* Overall Rating: 4.5/5
* Price: 2/5
* Packaging Quality: 3/5
* Repurchase: Yes

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/16/2013 4:40:00 PM More reviews by juicy70

When I first bought this mascara I was unimpressed with the result so I just threw it in my makeup drawer. My lashes are thin and short from just getting older so I bought some RapidLash serum to try and get them to grow and the RapidLash worked really well; my lashes are noticeably nice and long now. I brought the 3D volume mascara back out to try it again and it looks awesome with my 'new' lashes. What I really like about this mascara is the brush; it has spikes all over the tip making it easy to coat the little baby lashes in the corners without getting mascara all over your eye area. So, compared to the Cover Girl mascara brushes that barely have any spikes near the end this one is WAY better. The formula is long-wearing and doesn't smudge. I take it off with those mineral oil makeup remover pads before I wash my face.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/15/2013 2:16:00 PM More reviews by MadHungarian

I'm not sure I'd buy this again. It looks great on but the brush already has clumps on it when you pull it out of the tube. I'm actually thinking of writing to Revlon about it. They need to find a way to make brush come out "cleaner".

rated 3 of 5 on 4/10/2013 12:07:00 AM More reviews by katherinebertrand

I liked this mascara however it was IMPOSSIBLE to get off! To its credit I didn't have eye makeup remover but it would not budge with cetaphil cleanser, it just stuck like glue! I won't be getting it again

rated 5 of 5 on 3/31/2013 8:20:00 PM More reviews by mackenziehope

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Oh my gosh, new hg!!! My eyelashes are long, stubborn, thin and fine and this mascara works WONDERS. It lengthens, adds SOME volume, darkens them, gets ALL the baby hairs with the spike tip and keeps them curled and in place. I bought this on a whim because it was on sale and it is a definite dupe for They're Real! I will repurchase til the day I die (or a better one comes out).. LOVE

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/30/2013 6:36:00 PM More reviews by aprilpinkbeauty

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I never stray from my L'Oreal mascaras but heard someone say they really liked this mascara so I decided to try it to review for MakeupAlley. Turns out I actually like this stuff!

The brush on this mascara is huge, the formula super dark and gives me crazy amount of volume. This is the only mascara I've ever tried that actually makes my eyes look like I'm wearing false lashes. I never wore just mascara until I found this product - every other mascara just didn't bring enough definition to my eyes when I wore it alone. But this makes my eyes pop! I only use one coat all over and a 2nd coat on the outer lashes and it looks fantastic!

Its somewhat easy to remove with a makeup wipe - I do find it gives me raccoon eyes in the morning so I have to use additional eye makeup remover. This product stays but but flakes a little bit throughout the day. The big brush is great but for someone with small eyelids like myself, its sort of hard to apply without getting it all over your eyeshadow and sometimes I have to clean it up with a q tip. The formula is a tad bit clumpy if you're not careful.

I plan to go back to my trusty old L'Oreal after I use this up but I would repurchase this product again.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/11/2013 11:58:00 PM More reviews by prettymar

good mascara doesn't clump/flake/easy to remove :)