December 18, 2014 | 1154 users online

Lips - Revlon - Colorburst Lip Butter in Red Velvet

rated 5 of 5 on 4/22/2012 8:42:00 PM More reviews by new2makeup123

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have to say that overall I really do like this lip butter!

I am quite fair with warm undertones (about NC15), but I have dark hair, brown eyes, and quite pigmented lips so I find that light lipsticks wash me out and brighter/darker ones suit me a lot better. I always though that a bright "cherry" red would suit me the best, but after trying this lip product I think that the slighter darker brick red-violet shade is a lot softer and a great red on my skintone!

I have super dry flaky lips, so exfoliating and lip balm are musts, but this lip butter definitely doesn't further dry my lips and it applies with a lot of slip and glossiness (I personally like this). Due to the texture, if you want to apply this for full intensity I would recommend using a lip brush, but my favourite way to wear it is to apply to the outer parts of my lips and blend with my finger, leaving the center blank, and then apply a light pink gloss in the center. it looks so pretty and really enhances the fullness of my lips!

The packaging pretty good, my only quip would be that the product can get a little messy on the sides of the tube and it is easy to dent with the cap but be careful and you shouldn't have problems.

Wear time isn't super long, only a couple of hours, but it fades evenly (no lipstick ring effect) and wearing it over lip liner will help plus it isn't drying so reapplication isn't a problem.

I will most likely repurchase if I run out :)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/28/2012 3:53:00 PM More reviews by Chamuda

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

One of my favorites of the Lip Butter colors!
For reference I have fair skin (second to lightest usually), reddish brown hair, brown eyes, pigmented lips (so I usually like the darker lip colors - I like Fig as well)...

This color is a great wearable deep brown-burgundy red. It's a bit sheer, but perhaps not as sheer as the other Lip Butters.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/27/2012 12:48:00 AM More reviews by Yashuragi

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Red Velvet is a gorgeous colour: deep, dark brick red. It complements my asian skin tone very nicely. However, other than the colour, I find this is almost no different from an ordinary lipstick. Despite it's claims of being 'super hydrating', I felt no added moisturization. I still need to apply lip balm beforehand so my lips won't dry up. It is also very slick. Because of its slickness, its very easy to mess up. Be extra careful with application, because one little unnecessary movement will smudge it everywhere. I'd keep buying this just for the colour. But if you already have your own HG red lipstick, don't bother getting this. The colour is indeed beautiful, but the formula is no different than any other lipstick.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/19/2012 8:23:00 PM More reviews by Pandora7

I had all but given up on Revlon lip products after the foul mineral glaze/gloss I bought this summer. I thought initially this would be a tinted gloss or balm for whatever reason, but it's more like a lipstick. Which pleases me! I have been hunting for a red colour for ages in a lipstick, and spotting this at Shoppers on sale, I liked the test swatch on my hand. I can't pull off sone of those pretty candy apple red shades. Maybe it's the orange undertones or too much pink, I just know burgundy and darker reds suit me better. This colour is spot on for me, plus it doesn't make my teeth contrast in a funny way, like some reds do on me (pale olive skin). I agree with another poster about being gentle with this when capping and uncapping. I already smooshed a corner of this with the lid. It's very soft, and wearing it feels not unlike body shop pot gloss, texture wise. I also got this in a neutral blush colour too, and really like it. If you find a colour in this line that you like, I'd recommend trying this stuff!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/18/2012 7:46:00 AM More reviews by NikitaRose

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Grey

I am a NW15 blonde and buying this color was definitely a mistake but I can't deny it's a good product. The shade is a very deep, almost burgundy red that probably looks really flattering on darker skin tones but on me it is way too dark, I look much better wearing Cherry tart or Candy apple. The texture is great, very glossy and it is pretty moisturizing. The pigmentation is incredible and can only be compared to the pigmentation of shades Lollipop and Raspberry pie but that also makes it kinda hard to apply. Overall a great product. The plastic casing looks a bit cheap but it matches the color of the product.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/8/2012 4:47:00 PM More reviews by marnif

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Received this and a couple other colors in swaps. This is my favorite, at least for my complexion. The formula is comfortable on the lips and has good staying power. The color is a very deep rose, almost a burgundy.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/2/2012 4:40:00 PM More reviews by mariella99

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

On me (NW 20), Red Velvet is a deep red that is surprisingly dark considering what you might expect from a lip butter (I have 2 others and while they are pigmented, they are not as deeply pigmented as this one). I do very much like the colour and the texture. The colour is very dramatic and the texture very moisturising. I don't like it quite as much as the other 2 I have and don't find it quite as wearable - it takes a bit more work and careful application whereas with Berry Smoothie and Cherry Tart, I can simply swipe them on and go. But I would not hesitate to purchase Red Velvet again - it's certainly a great shade to have when you want to look "diva-ish".

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/28/2012 11:04:00 AM More reviews by Meriel65

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I got this at Walgreens--Revlon lip products are $3 off this week; and I had a $1 off coupon, so I thought, why not? I paid about $3.50 for mine. It's nice--cosmetics are very subjective, first of all--one person likes slick and shiny, others hate it. And individual coloring has a lot to do with how a product appears. All that said, this is a smooth, sheer formula that is more pigmented than a balm, that's for sure. I do better with sheer formulas, but don't like lip gloss, so I think I would like to explore another color or two from this line. This particular color stains a tiny bit, so when it wears off, there is a sheer wash of color. I'd call this a neutral red--not warm (orange based) or all that cool (blue based). I can't wear anything at all tending towards warmer tones or else I just look dead, so this is nice. You could do much worse and pay far more for the "privilege" for a similar product, so in general I'd say it's a pretty good. I do wish for adequate sunscreen protection; maybe they'll get it in the "new and improved" version that always seems inevitable.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/17/2012 2:12:00 PM More reviews by pr0cessa

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Other reviewers described this as a brick red, but for me the color is burgundy. A better name would be "chocolate cherry." The texture is not really a lip balm; it's a full-fledged lipstick. I don't do pinks - I only can wear warm colors - so this is not for me. Also I like my lip color sheerer, more moisturizing, and less pigmented. The clinique butter shine lipstick is, in my opinion, a way better formulation. Putting this up for swap.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/11/2012 11:10:00 AM More reviews by Bucephala

This is one of the redeeming members of the lip butter family. Overall, I don't know why people rave about these so much but I really like this one. I wish it had SPF in it (I prefer tinted lip balm to have SPF) but I wear this more as a lipstick. If you want to try a red lip but are a little intimidated, this is a good place to start.