December 22, 2014 | 1851 users online

BB Cream - Clinique - Age Defense BB Cream SPF 30

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 11/4/2012 8:22:00 PM More reviews by amyhuskiewicz

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I tried decent-size samples of this from Sephora. Unfortunately, neither was a good color match for my pale, neutral skin. The textue was thick and it settled unflatteringly in lines and pores, emphasizing flakes. To be fair, I have dry skin and think this product is geared more towards those with oily skin - and for them this may be a wonderful product. I like that there was more than one color option. The finish was quite matte on my skin. It did cover imperfections.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/4/2012 6:03:00 PM More reviews by cecilelpham

So I got a sample in shade 3 from my local Sephora. The consultant applied the product on my face too, and I left it on for about four hours. When I got home and looked in the mirror, I was horrified: my face was so oily and greasy! I wasn't sure if it was because the Sephora consultant applied too much product on my face, so I decided to give it another try. After using it for another three days, I concluded that this product is just very greasy and oily: I have combination skin and usually this is not a problem for me. Also even though this product is pretty thick, it does not conceal blemishes very well. And it has a very strong sunblock-like smell to it, which I don't particularly like that much. The only pros are that shade 3 matched my skin tone pretty well and it has SPF 30. Other than that I personally do not think this product is worth what you would have to pay for it. Thank goodness I got a sample beforehand.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/3/2012 4:16:00 PM More reviews by kmbirkel

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I want to preface this by saying that I really like this product - I have been using it for months and find it excellent on my combination/oily skin, and I am able to get a shade match with #1. I am normally N/NW10 - very pale and neutral leaning cool-toned.

With that said, you should know that this product is basically EXACTLY the same as the MAC Prep + Prime Beauty Balm SPF 35. I put on my MAC BB for the first time today and realized it smelled and felt familiar - just like my Clinique BB. So I looked up the ingredients of both and compared them. The ingredient lists for both contain about 99.9% the same ingredients, in very close to the same order (which means very close to the same proportions of each ingredient), as you can see below. I read through both lists and the only ingredient I can find at ALL that's in one but not the other is the aluminum hydroxide way toward the end of the list on the Clinique one.

So, if you can't find a shade match in one, try the other. If you can find a match in both, like me (the lightest shade of each) - the Clinique one is cheaper!

Clinique Age Defense BB Cream SPF 30 [$37 USD for 1.4 oz, or $21.43/oz]: Active Ingredients: Octinoxate 7.50%, Octisalate 4.00%, Zinc Oxide 3.50%, Oxybenzone 2.50%, Titaniium Dioxide 1.1.0% Other Ingredients: water, dimethicone, butylene glycol, phenyl trimethicone, pentylene glycol, glyceryl stearate, behenyl alcofol, trioctyldodecyl citrate, polymethylsilsesquioxane, octyldodecyl stearoyl stearate, PEG-40 stearate, polyglyceryl -10 pentastearate, octyldodecyl neopentanoate, Hordeum vulgare (barley extract), extract d’orge, Triticum Vulgare (wheat germm extract), Laminaria saccharina extract, Linoleic Acid, Oryzanol, cholesterol, caffeine, sucrose, glycerin, Polyquaternium-51, lecithin, Sodium stearoyl lactylate, Polyglyceryl-6 Polyricinoleate, Sodium PCA, Isopropyl titanium triisostearate, Trehalose, urea, Tocopheryl Acetate, Sodium Hyaluronate, Ammonium Acryloyldimethyltaurate/VP Copolymer, Xanthan Gum, Glycyrrhetinic acid, stearic acid, Aluminum hydroxide, silica, Pentaerythrityl Tetra-di-t-butyl Hydroxyhydrocinnamate, Disodium EDTA, Chlorphenesin, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Phenoxyethanol, titanium dioxide, iron oxides, mica

MAC Prep + Prime Beauty Balm SPF 35 [$30 USD for 1 oz]: Active Ingredients: Octinoxate 7.40%, Octisalate 4.00%, Oxybenzone 2.50%, Titanium Dioxide 1.10%, Zinc Oxide 3.50% Other Ingredients: Water/Aqua/Eau, Dimethicone, Butylene Glycol, Phenyl Trimethicone, Pentylene Glycol, Glyceryl Sterate, Behenyl Alcohol, Trioctyldodecyl Citrate, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Octyldodecyl Stearoyl Stearate, PEG-40 Stearate, Polyglyceryl-10 Pentastearate, Octyldodecyl Neopentanoate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Caffeine, Glycyrrhetinic Acid, Urea, Sodium Hyluronate, Squalane, Hordeum Vulgare (Barley) Extract,/Extrait D’orge, Triticum Vulgare (Wheat) Germ Extract, Laminaria Saccharina Extract, Glycerin, Lecithin, Polyglyceryl-6 Polyricinoleate, Cholesterol, Trehalose, Sodium PCA, Oryzanol, Ammonium Acryloydimethyltaurate/VP Copolymer, Sucrose, Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate, Xanthan Gum, Polyquaternium-51, Isopropyl Titanium Triisosterate, Silica, Aluminum Stearate, Linoleic Acid, Stearic Acid, Pentaerythrityl Tetra-Di-T-Butyl Hydroxyhydrocinnamate, Disodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Chlorphensin, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Mica, Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891)

38 out of 40 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 10/23/2012 3:19:00 PM More reviews by mpp08

I like this product but it is slightly pasty. It did not really improve skin tone or texture. I find it to have more coverage than other BB creams and I like that it has SPF 30 but I think that it is overall too pricey. I found that the Loreal Youth Code BB Cream is great quality for the price and I am sticking to that.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/18/2012 4:02:00 PM More reviews by suellenszt

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Other Eyes: Green

The coverage is great, not too light and not too heavy/chunky (fake). I actually feel like me skin feels smoother when I remove this BB Cream. Weird as it sounds.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/5/2012 5:12:00 PM More reviews by Saragori

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

I suffer from very red, uneven skin. I'm one of them who has to wear foundation all the time. But I wanted something that is light yet covers redness and uneven skintone. I decided to go for cliniques BB cream after all the BB cream hype. To be honest, I didn't like it at first, but after just 5 days of using it, I absolutely love it! It's so easy to apply and blend, and covers all of my redness and uneven skintone! I checked my face after 8 hours at work and it looked so flawless! The only minus I would say is the price, but I guess this BB cream does exactly what it says on the tin! Will definitely be buying again!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/27/2012 10:37:00 PM More reviews by alicewisdom

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I hadn't used a liquid foundation-type product on my skin in a long time. I have large pores and very oily, acne-prone skin that most liquid products tend to slip off of over the course of my day. I've heard so much about BB creams lately though, so I tried a few at Sephora. I couldn't find a good color match in Smashbox or any of the other brands they offered at the time, so I went back to my MAC studio fix powder. On a recent trip home I was at the Clinique counter for my facewash and decided to give theirs a try. I was really pleasantly surprised. I ended up buying some in shade 02, and picked up a foundation brush as well. I've worn it almost every day since, first applied with my foundation brush and then stippled with my EcoTools stippling kabuki. It lasts on my skin all day and makes it look so much better and less angry. It seems to be increasing the quality of my skin overall, too! Would definitely purchase again - didn't think this was going to be a good product for me at all, but I'm a convert!

rated 3 of 5 on 9/23/2012 9:34:00 AM More reviews by NKS

I got talked into this after going to buy superbalanced powder makeup. The superbalanced range has big steps between it's colour matches and I must be somewhere between a 5 and a 6. I was hugely disappointed and was about to leave without buying or looking at anything else when the MUA recommended this to even out my tone and wear the powder makeup over it. It kind of defeated the purpose of just having one product to do all the coverage but not wanting to be rude, I let the lady try it out on me. I was quite impressed at the counter and even more so when I felt it stay put all day. I went back the next day and bought it and have worn it a few times since.

I do like the product - it does even out skin tone and acts as a fairly good primer too but it doesn't cover up blemishes very well. If I'm not wearing makeup, then I'd rather just have a good oil free moisturiser on all day but if I am making the effort, then this is not what I would choose for half decent coverage. Unfortunately, I do need it to lighten the tone of the powder make up I bought in 6 which would have looked a lot better in summer but as we go shuttling into autumn, it looks a little like I had an accident with bronzer or fake tan.

I think this is probably more suited for those with very very few blemishes, for a refinishing effect like reducing appearances of pores and maybe as a mattifying primer for those who aren't too oily. Other than that I'm sure there's better products out there.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/22/2012 9:37:00 PM More reviews by Calicogirl21

Great product. I have tried bb creams by Garnier, Loreal, Maybelline, Boscia, Too Faced and Dr. Jart. I love the clinique the best. Good coverage, not too dewy and no scent to the product. Not worried about breaking out since Clinique is so great with their skin care.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/26/2012 12:19:00 PM More reviews by Redbone21

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

This bb cream was ok. I had the #3 sample which lasted about 2 months which wasn't too bad. I feel that it covered basic redness and at least lightened my acne scars and for the most part controlled the oil with the exception that I was on it with my acne products because without acne products in my routine it didnt last long. In hot weather this is horrible. I dont know how to explain it it just made my pores look weird and oily. This worked pretty good in nothing over 80 degrees. This is good for days when you dont want to wear too much make-up. As far as anti-aging qualities I didn't notice too much but then again I'm 22 so I dont know. Its an ok product but I'm still going back and forth if it's worth the $40. Maybe I'll try to just get another sample