December 21, 2014 | 1823 users online

Makeup Brushes - Real Techniques by Samantha Chapman - Brush Collection - Eyes Starter Set

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/14/2013 3:06:00 PM More reviews by albs

I get a lot of use out of some of these brushes and minimal use out of others. I wish these were sold individually. Honestly, I don't think the kit itself is a great "starter kit"- it's missing a lot of essential brushes like a flat shading brush, a thin angled brush, and a thin eyeliner brush. I don't use these brushes exclusively on the eyes. I love the design- the long, aluminum ferules look nice and make washing your brushes a little safer because it's more difficult to accidently get water inside. One of the best things about this kit is that there are a lot of different uses for the brushes. This is how I use them now, but I'm always discovering different ways to utilize them. And they clean very well so you can use them for all sorts of different things- just sanitize!

Base shadow brush: I wish I could buy more of these without getting the whole kit! I love it for blending, I think it works beautifully for that. It's very tapered at the tip so it blends eyeshadow out well without blending it away and making everything look like it's all one colour which is something I always have some difficulty with. I also adore it for cream shadow, especially my Benefit cream shadow which I find disappointing otherwise.

Deluxe crease brush: I think this is a little large to be used as a crease brush. I like to use it to blend out concealer.

Accent brush: teensy little paddle brush. I use it for smudging or putting highlight into the inner corner but I don't use it all that often. Still not bad to have kicking around.

Pixel-point eyeliner brush: Pixel point? Seriously? Too thick to apply gel/creme liner. Not bad for smudgy liner or putting a little colour in the lower lash line.

Brow brush: I don't do my brows and this brush is really too thick to use for anything else. Even if I did do my brows I feel like a thinner, more precise brush would be more beneficial.

5 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/4/2013 10:56:00 PM More reviews by meghans4295

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Absolutely LOVE these! So much more affordable than MAC, and they do such a good job! They also don't shed, and clean up so easily!

Base eyeshadow brush: so soft, and blends really nicely, really easily!
Deluxe crease brush: I'll be honest, I haven't used it as a crease brush personally, I quite like it for contouring ;)
Liner brush: definitely a bit too thick for liner, IMO (but I already have a great e/l brush so it doesn't matter to me), however I love it for fine detailing with my shadow shape, or more often, getting shadow along my lower lashline carefully!
Accent brush: I use this for concealer, and it's great for me! Small enough so it just covers the spot you need to hide.
Brow brush: I'll be honest, this is the one I have yet to use (because I use pencil on my brows right now), but I'm sure it'll be used eventually!

Overall, i say if you're thinking about getting this set, DO IT! I may also be the minority here, but I find the color really cute :)

rated 3 of 5 on 2/22/2013 6:53:00 AM More reviews by LishWilliams

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

The only brushes I found really useful in this whole set was the Deluxe crease brush. The base shadow brush is a poor mans 217, which does the job, but I mainly use it for cream products when I don't want to stain my 217. I find the eyeliner brush to thick to get a fine line, but you can buy a fine liner brush separately which I don't understand. The angle brush, again is to thick to get a detailed finish, I don't use the detailer brush, so I can't comment. The case is useful, it has space on the opposite side to add your own brushes, which is great. I feel this brush set falls under the umbrella of false economy for me. I could have brought a brush like the deluxe crease brush, and my 217 and my 239. Instead I brought this brush set, realised it wasn't that great, then brought my mac ones anyway. Maybe this is me being cynical (and I'm sure I am) but I feel that this set lacks brushes that should have been put in, that are sold on there own.

Pros
•brushes clean really well
•the case is useful
•synthetic hair ( good for vegans/ veggies)
•loads of demos on YouTube buy creator
•great for people who might not have the money to spend at mac
•no shedding

Cons
•some of the brushes are to thick for detailed work
• might need to buy other brushes to achieve simple looks that the brush set should include.

6 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/9/2013 7:59:00 PM More reviews by Mellymoomar

This particuar brush set was how I came across Real Techniques brushes for the first time. Do not ask me how on earth I managed not to know about them, because I found out they've been around a while, but they are brilliant. I was looking to update my brush collection and bought this set because it appealed to me the most and found myself very pleased with my purchase. My favourite brush would have to be the deluxe crease brush, simply because its a beautiful kind of dome shape that allows for effortless blending in half the time and a very easy application. The base shadow brush is also very soft and fluffy and again super easy application. They are all very good, as well as being easy to wash. Definitely would recommend and buy again.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/8/2013 4:32:00 AM More reviews by Mocksoup

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I use these brushes almost exclusively. I can't say enough about these brushes, certainly that hasn't already been said. If you are on a budget, buy these for less than the price of 1 MAC brush. They are amazing.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/26/2012 10:05:00 AM More reviews by dddoxie

You may not even look twice at these brushes if you see them in person. IMO, they're very tacking looking and lightweight. BUT - when you use them, HOLY COW.

The brow brush looks very large/wide for a regular brow brush. In comparison to other angled brow brushes, it's almost triple the size. I seriously thought to myself "this is never going to work, I'll have caterpillar brows for sure if I use this." But I was so wrong. It is the perfect shape/size for even my sparse/thin brows. The bristles are the perfect density (not too soft, not too hard) for applying powder, wax or mousse brow products.

The eyeshadow brush is one of my favorites out of my entire collection. The shape is very unique, kind of like a flatter, pointier 217 from MAC. Applies shadow to the lid and blends out like nobody's business.

The crease brush is excellent for applying cream eyeshadow to the lids. Blends out into the crease beautifully.

The two littlest brushes are my least-used but I'm sure I'll find a good use for them soon.

Amazing kit for less than $20. Carrying case that these come in is also very functional and great for travel or to keep in your purse.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/25/2012 7:03:00 PM More reviews by ArtisticEyes

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I am loving these brushes! I was given these on the account that my one brush that I had been using for a little more than 4 years was shedding, and glue was all over the remaining bristles.
Deluxe Crease; This fits perfectly into my crease area, perfect for definition.
Base Brush; Very fluffy, and lets the shadow cover well. Good for blending, as well!
Accent Brush; I use this to highlight the inner corners ("HALAHT THA INNA CORNAS" - Miles Jai), and it works great. I will occasionally use this to apply shadow to the outer v as well.
Pixel-Point liner; I like this for my thicker looks. Maybe I just can't seem to master it, but it does not help for the thin line that I usually use daily. However, it could be lack of experience. Still very nice, holds shape enough to give a steady line.
Brow Brush; Now, I haven't used this, since my brows don't require much maintenence. I worry about the thickness, it seems a bit large for brows...

rated 5 of 5 on 12/19/2012 4:27:00 PM More reviews by bombace

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Great quality brushes at a great price point. They all do a fantastic job at what they were designed for and they clean up very well. If you are looking to start a brush collection for your makeup kit/ collection these would be great to start with. Thank you Samantha Chapman! There is also real techniques youtube channel that explains them and gives tutorials.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/11/2012 3:18:00 PM More reviews by ximachikenx

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I am a big fan of pixiwoo's YouTube channel and had heard such great things about the RT brushes from kokolaroo's review. I bought this set because I didn't want to pay more for eye brushes from Sephora or MAC, and I can easily say that I won't be needing anymore brushes from them. My absolute favorite is the deluxe crease brush, and I would easily purchase five more of them. They are not only excellent for quick eyeshadow application all over the lid, but also makes a great blending brush in conjunction with concealer to cover blemishes and dark eye circles. All the other brushes are great too, and I really like the handles. Would definitely repurchase this and recommend them to everyone, amazing quality for a great price.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/25/2012 8:49:00 PM More reviews by LadyxBec

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I really like these, for the price they are excellent value.
The GOOD: I have used these everyday for about 3 months, washed a few times and they are still in perfect condition. These look very expensive and nice, and are all super soft.

The BAD: I don't think use any of these as intended - I find that, for example the pixle eyerline brush is difficult to use - but I find it really great for getting the tiniest bit of concealer on blemishes. I find the case a bit useless, but will probably use it when I travel.

Overall if something happened to this set, I would probably get another. I think they're a good starting point for a brush collection for a great price.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No