April 21, 2014 | 988 users online

Makeup Brushes - Real Techniques by Samantha Chapman - Brush Collection - Eyes Starter Set

rated 5 of 5 on 6/25/2012 6:09:00 PM More reviews by ash10twenty

I love these brushes! They are so soft and versatile. And they are very easy to maintain. I wish these would have been out when I first started doing makeup because they are perfect for beginners , pros, and everyone in between.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/23/2012 9:46:00 AM More reviews by mlynde82

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

First, let me preface this review by saying, I LOVE these brushes!! They are cruelty-free and of fantastic quality. The bristles are phenomenally soft and really hold pigment for application. They are great. I have many different brushes from a variety of price points (MAC, EcoTools, Sonia Kashuk, etc) and these are truly my favorite. I just really don't think you can go wrong with most of them.

I love this set, particularly the base shadow brush (for applying shadow and blending) and the accent brush (for applying darker shadow into the crease). The deluxe crease brush feels a little too bulky (the bristles I mean) for applying to the crease, because it applies a little too much color, but that brush is fabulous for blending. The pixel-point liner brush is not as fine as I would like (I prefer the fine liner brush from the same range), but applies eyeshadow well on the lashline--just don't use it with a cream or gel liner as it's very thick and the bristles are long. I don't use the brow brush on my brows, but it's wonderful for applying shadow to the outer corner of the eye!

Overall, this set is worth the price in spades. The brushes are a great value and are of fantastic quality--just feel free to use these brushes in whatever way you want (not just what they say they're intended for). If you go in with that mindset, you'll love these.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/22/2012 4:05:00 PM More reviews by Yrie

I like this brush set a lot.

I don't really use the Accent Brush. I could use it to apply my inner corner highlight, but I don't usually use a separate brush for that, just the one that happens to be already in my hand, like the Base Shadow Brush for example.
I don't use the Eyeliner Brush, because I'm not into liquid eyeliner, so I can't comment on that.
The Base Shadow Brush is really nice. It picks up pigment effortlessly and the application is very nice. You can also use it to blend the edges. I could do a whole eye look with just this one brush.
The Deluxe Crease Brush is really good once you stop trying to use it in your crease :-) I love applying my concealer with this, be it cream or liquid. It blends the concealer so easily, and I find that I use less product than when I apply it with my fingers. It's particularly helpful for application under the eyes, because it blends so easily and doesn't get cakey. I also use this brush to apply cream bases, like MAC Paint Pots, for example.
I like the Brow Brush. I use this to fill in my brows with powder and I also use it for eyeliner. You can very easily and eyeshadow as a liner with this brush, or apply eyeshadow to the lower lashline. It's multifunctional.
All in all, I really like this brush set, even though I don't find a use for every brush in it. For the price though, I'm not going to complain. The brushes are really nice quality, so soft and I love the design. The case they come in is very hand for travelling. Would definitely recommend them!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/21/2012 6:45:00 PM More reviews by DPD

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Ok so for 13 for 5 brushes isnt bad considering you cant buy 1 from mac for that price. But i dont think these are a substitute for mac as they work alongside and really i dont think any of them are a dupe for any mac brushes.

You get 5 brushes and i will review them individually.
Deluxe Crease Brush - baically a small round domed stippling brush - supposed to be for contouring I say use for blending - not applying concealer.
What i do is apply cocealer to the areas and almost leave it for 30 secs to almost air dry and then use this to buff the product in. I used it recently for the garnier anti dark concealer and on my dark asian circles i got almost amazing results where before i would use a corrector, heavy concealer & highlighter.

Base Shadow - use to buff Mac paint pot in soft ochre or a flesh primer such as macs onto lid

Accent brush - havent used much yet but good for smudging liner under eyes. I dont use this for highlighting in the inner corner as i find small brushes such as these pick up too much product and you can tell. I instead use a brush not too dissimilar to the base sadow brush to apply and blend a flesh toned shimmer.

Eyeliner brush - unless you have eye the size of tennis balls then good luck with lining the eye with this and getting a precise defined neat line I much prefer my MAC 210 for lquid or gel or these days am liking the brush that came with my Loreal Intenza Gel liner to line with gels. I needed a new lip brush and this actually works quite well.

Brow brush - theres always one! You know when you see a great eye shadow palette but theres one odd colour that you dont know how they managed to sneak it in, when/how you woukd use it and therefore has no use in the palette and you know when all te other colours havehit the pans there will be this one lonely colour? Well this is that just a brush. If youre eyes are lke tennis ball then your brows must be like a boomerang so the size of this brush might suit you. For the rest of us with brows that are normal I cant think of a single use for this - Sam what were you thinking?

For this reason i would give this set a 3.5 almost a 4 as the first two brushes are really good and soft for synthetic brushes. They could be sold seprately but i think they would be about 6 - 7 so for the 2 wouldbe the same amount as this set.

I also got the shading brush at the same time which i havent used.

I would like to get some of the face brushes but the design of the wide base puts me off as i keep my bruhes sanding up in a pot and they would take up alot of space.

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/14/2012 6:00:00 PM More reviews by GrRoxxy

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Grey

First of all Im not a bit fan of pixiewoo so the fact that its Sam doesnt really matter.
The case in which they come in looks kinda cheap but its very practical for traveling- I use it often.
Quality of the brushes is very good, no shedding or discolouration. Very soft, good shapes, everyday cleaning doesnt destroy them.

I like very much base shadow brush and I literally LOVE pixel-point and accent brush-great for highlighting inner corner, smudging the liner and small blemishes too!

Overall great brushes but not the best! And for this price- really worth buying!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/9/2012 1:54:00 PM More reviews by dizzielittlerascal

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Yes, they are great brushes, and although they are a lot more expensive in the UK (er, why??) they are still very very cheap. But this does not detract from the fact that they are high end brushes! But, there are a couple of brushes I do not like using. One being the brow brush - its far too thick, and its actually not a very good brush, its just not tightly bristled/soft enough for me. I much prefer using my Benefit hard angled brush. (Yes, was going to get the MAC one, but I couldn't resist the Benefit one at 99p on eBay! lol). The pointed eyeliner one is far too wide also, so cannot get a good line for my eyeliner. I use my 212 MAC brush instead. The accent brush is also untouched - have no idea how I am going to use that. Oh, so that's most of the brushes not used lol

Still, the others are really great, and I don't actually use them for their purposes - like the deluxe crease brush is FAB for concealer under the eyes!

My MAJOR gripe with these are the fact that you have to buy them as a set. I would much rather buy separately and choose what I want to buy. I also feel there is so much packaging going on....even the stand/case is of no use to me. But hey ho - I still love them though!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/25/2012 3:50:00 PM More reviews by MitchieCatalano

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I have all the brushes that she makes! And I have to say that I love every single one of them! this set has an exact dupe of the MAC 217 but a nicer synthetic version! it also has two fluffy brushes that resemble the 224 by MAC except they DON'T shed! the liner brush isn't my favorite because it's super huge and the same goes for the brow brush! I prefer really fine thin brushes for these tasks! Overall this set is AMAZING it has high end dupes that work ten times better and they're really, really soft! I also love the accent brush for inner corner work and smoking out color on the lower lash line!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/10/2012 1:37:00 AM More reviews by angelixia07

I was actually surprised by how much I ended up liking this brush set. I had seen it, along with the rest of the Real Techniques brushes, in my local Ulta store and was unimpressed. I didn't feel the need to have it just judging from the way the brushes looked in the packaging. I finally bought it just out of the need of a good concealer brush, which I was hoping the deluxe crease brush would be. It turned out that I love both the deluxe crease brush and the base shadow brush. They're some of my favorite brushes to work with in my collection and just those two brushes basically justified getting the entire set, even though the other brushes were not so great:

Base shadow brush-This is basically the synthetic version of the Mac 217. It is flat but rounded to a point, like the 217 but its probably slightly less dense. This is fantastic for blending cream products like eyeshadow bases or cream shadows. It would be good for concealer too if you want a light coverage. I don't like to use this as a blending brush for powder because the Mac 217 is much better for that since it's made out of natural bristles. But I love it for blending cream products, it does a fantastic job!

Deluxe crease brush-This is an unusual brush to find but it is basically a stubby but rounded brush that domes to a point. It's on the dense side and closes in shape and material to Sigma' Precision Round (P82) brush. I cannot tell you how wonderful this is for concealers. I've used this with both cream and liquid/highlighting pen type concealers and it just blends so perfectly. The shape is perfect for getting into the inner under-eye area. The synthetic bristles blends my Mac Studio Fix concealer perfectly and builds the product on well.
Accent Brush-This is a tiny round flat brush that is pretty handy for doing any detail work. It would work for concealing small areas, going under the brow with concealer to sharpen the brow, cleaning up lip lines with concealer, putting highlight in the tear-duct area, etc.

Pixel-point eyeliner brush-This is basically a bigger script style eye-line brush. It's good for building a thick line quickly. It's also good for tiny spot concealing. I mostly use it for laying down gel liner thick and quick and then softening it with a smudge brush. It's actually one of my least favorites from the set that I can do without.

Brow brush-This is probably the worst brush in the set and one that I find completely useless for any application of make-up. There's basically no good way to use this brush for anything. It's a large and thick angled brush made with the same fine synthetic taklon as the rest. It does brows quickly but with no sort of precision. If I was going for a natural fast brow, even the Mac 239 is better. It's way too thick for use as an eyeliner brush. I really don't know what they were thinking with this one.

Even though only two brushes were standout must-haves for me, I feel that for the price and how good the two brushes were, that this set is worth it. continued >>

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 3/16/2012 6:05:00 AM More reviews by radhikamaze

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

These brushes are fantastic. For someone who is just starting out experimenting with eye shadows, creams and eye make up in general, I think it is a must.
I have bought several brush (including the cheap ebay) ones and, its true what they say, you really need to invest to get good quality because they will last you a long time.

These brushes are really multi-usable. They tell you the purpose, base shadow and creasing, eyeliner and eyebrow brush (which I don't need) I use to line my top line thicker.

For the sake of 20 when one MAC 217 will cost you 16, and you get 4, you can't go wrong! they are just as good quality and maybe better because of the taclon hair!

rated 4 of 5 on 3/15/2012 9:34:00 PM More reviews by Sepolayla

I have two of these because that's just the way I like to work. Overall this brush set is amazing quality for a really low price. I'll talk on the brushes individually. (But I don't have it sitting in front of me so I'm going to get the names wrong.)

Applicator brush - slightly pointed, soft enough to blend out light colours or do an initial blend. Great for application of cream products and pretty good for applying powders. Pointed end makes it easy to go under the eye and also to do a soft brow. It would be better at applying powders if it was stiffer but that would make it worse as a light blender. However, given that it comes in a kit with a designated blending brush maybe stiff would have been the better option.

Blending/crease brush - really interesting shape but does the job. Good for blending waterproof-formula pencils over the lid which is great because I often find them reluctant to move. Great for concealer as well. Could be better if it was slightly smaller, though. Don't find it great for delicately blending edges or for gradiants of depth in the crease. Brilliant for simple looks though.

Detailer brush - fantastic for smudging liner, applying smudged eyeshadow as liner and for sharp highlighting under the brows and beneath eyeliner wings. Not one for every look but does what it's asked too.

Liner brush - too thick. Has its place but, woah, is it thick. Also seems to be exclusively for use with gel or cake liner as bristles flare after cleaning. You have to roll the brush around on your product to give it a pointed tip. The packaging around the bristles contributes to that flare, I think. Would be better if there was a taper to the cartridge - I'm sure that would translate to a taper to the bristles. I was really surprised that Sam chose this design as, on pixiwoo at least, she nearly always seems to favour a fine liner brush.

Brow brush - great for everyday brows. Good angle - not too steep. Good thickness (not for drawing in individual hairs but I don't do that to my brows every day). Synthetic bristles are great with wax, powder, gel, cream, you name it. Mainly because they're not like a block of stiff plastic as some other synthetic brow brushes can be.

They're great value. The packaging of the brushes themselves is quite cute and seems to be of good quality - nothing's fallen to bits or started shedding in four months of use. Reservations about the liner brush still stand. All but the liner brush are really stand out brushes, especially for working with cream products.