August 29, 2014 | 1011 users online

Makeup Brushes - Real Techniques by Samantha Chapman - Brush Collection - Eyes Starter Set

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/11/2012 3:18:00 PM More reviews by ximachikenx

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I am a big fan of pixiwoo's YouTube channel and had heard such great things about the RT brushes from kokolaroo's review. I bought this set because I didn't want to pay more for eye brushes from Sephora or MAC, and I can easily say that I won't be needing anymore brushes from them. My absolute favorite is the deluxe crease brush, and I would easily purchase five more of them. They are not only excellent for quick eyeshadow application all over the lid, but also makes a great blending brush in conjunction with concealer to cover blemishes and dark eye circles. All the other brushes are great too, and I really like the handles. Would definitely repurchase this and recommend them to everyone, amazing quality for a great price.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/25/2012 8:49:00 PM More reviews by LadyxBec

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I really like these, for the price they are excellent value.
The GOOD: I have used these everyday for about 3 months, washed a few times and they are still in perfect condition. These look very expensive and nice, and are all super soft.

The BAD: I don't think use any of these as intended - I find that, for example the pixle eyerline brush is difficult to use - but I find it really great for getting the tiniest bit of concealer on blemishes. I find the case a bit useless, but will probably use it when I travel.

Overall if something happened to this set, I would probably get another. I think they're a good starting point for a brush collection for a great price.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/15/2012 2:54:00 AM More reviews by NativeNewyorker

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I bought this starter set kit for eyes mainly to get the base shadow brush and the deluxe crease brush. The reason I only gave this four stars is because you cannot order these brushes individually. These are the two that I really wanted. Also, the rating is for packaging that is honestly of rather poor quality. The case is flimsy, but good for travel.

I agree with those who have said that the base shadow brush is like the MAC 239 and the MAC 217 combined. It's amazing for packing on color and blending. I love the deluxe crease brush for applying concealer. It gives a beautiful, buffed finish and smoothes on the product with ease. This brush can also be used in the crease to apply eyeshadow. I am really happy with both these brushes. I can use the little detailer brush for highlighting the inner corner of the eye and for smudging eyeliner. So that's at least three brushes out of the this kit that I can use. That's still pretty good value.

As for the fine eyeliner brush, that is for gel eyeliner. I use pencil and powder to line my eyes. I may check out a gel eyeliner to see what all the shouting is about. But I won't buy it just so I can use the brush. I will go to the department store and let a SA apply it so that I can see how it looks and how to use it. But I really have no use for the brow brush. In her video, Sam Chapman used it to apply black eyeshadow and smoke out her upper eye liner. But I have much better quality brushes to do that. This one seems to really not belong in this collection. It's not up to the quality of the other brushes.

If I could order the brushes individually, I would buy at least two or three more each of the base shadow brush and deluxe crease brush. But since that isn't an option, I won't buy another starter eye kit. I love those two brushes and hope that they will consider selling them individually at some point. They are an excellent value!

ETA: Now that I have been using these brushes for a while, I just wanted to update my review. At this point I wouldn't put the base shadow brush in the same league with the MAC 239 and 217. It is good for packing on color and blending, but I don't think it is as good as those two MAC brushes. I still use both the deluxe crease brush and the base shadow brush to apply concealer and shadow. I can interchange them with my MAC brushes. I still think these brushes are great value.

ETA: I needed to provide another update. I had a problem with the deluxe crease brush. As I was using the brush, I realized that the brush hairs had detached from the brush itself. The brush hairs will move up or down if I try to put any pressure on it. I have no idea why or how this happened. I clean my brushes the same way. I have had no problem with the base shadow brush or the little detailer brush. I have not had any problem with the Expert Face Brush. I am so disappointed, because this brush was my favorite. However, I am not of a mind to buy the whole starter set again.

For now I am just going to chalk this up as some kind of atypical problem. It's possible that there was something wrong with the brush.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/7/2012 4:38:00 PM More reviews by ImYourFavoriteDrug

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Other, Medium Eyes: Green

While these brushes are good quality, I had to return them. They just do not work for me. The big crease brush and dome brush work well, but the liner and brow brushes are just too big. I never used the detailer brush. I would reccomend them for someone who is just starting out with brushes, but I feel like I have better ones in my collection.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/18/2012 12:05:00 PM More reviews by angekronaus

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

ok, so the brushes are great quality & apart from the brow brush, i use all the others all the time.
the things i like :
deluxe crease brush is prob my favourite. its so versatile & soft. IMO, a must have.
base shadow brush is sort of a mix of the MAC 239 & 217 together. really cool.
accent brush i use as a lip pencil & sometimes as a concealer brush.
eyeliner brush i use for dotting small concealer spots & sometimes for eyeliner.
eyebrow brush - i hardly use at all because its too thick for me.

things i dont like :
i hate that these brushes are not available SEPERATELY. hate. hate, hate. i would go out & purchase 2 more deluxe crease & 2 more accent brushes if these were avail seperately. c'mon. i will however not be purchasing another 2 full sets!!
i hate the packaging on all these brushes. the hard plastic is terrible & i almost broke a nail trying to open the boxes.
i also dont care much for the black flappy case thing. to me its a waste of money & i battle to get my brushes back into their slots because the rubber ended handles dont glide very well thru the elastic! terrible. toss!

so the only reason i wouldnt purchase this again is because they not available seperately but otherwise im in love!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/9/2012 8:41:00 PM More reviews by heather

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

The only thing I wish were different is that I'd like to be able to buy these eye brushes separately, as I need about five each of the deluxe crease brushes and base shadow brushes. I especially love the deluxe crease brush for applying cream eyeshadow and blending edges. These are very versatile, useful, well-made brushes that clean up easily, dry quickly, and retain their shape perfectly. I was surprised to find that the pixel-point eyeliner brush works so well. It looked too fat and long at first, but it really helps me get a soft appearance with my gel eyeliner. (For more precise lines, I use the Fine Liner Brush, available separately). The best eyeshadow brush in this line, in my opinion, is the Domed Shadow Brush, which is only available in another set, Travel Essentials. And I'd like to be able to buy that one separately, for sure.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/3/2012 3:43:00 AM More reviews by kukukt007

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Fantastic brush quality, very soft synthetic bristles which are great for cream products especially.
I love the base shadow brush for putting cream or powder eyeshadow all over my lid, blending and for the crease. It's very multipurpose which I like in a brush.
The deluxe crease brush is better suited for concealer application under the eye and around the nose (or anywhere, but I think it's great for these areas) as it buffs in the concealer and blends it into foundation perfectly, getting into those little hard to reach spaces. It is soft and gentle for the under eye area. Sam and Nic both use this brush for concealer (:
The accent brush is great for detail work, crease work, and even as a lip brush!
The eyeliner brush certainly isn't a precision brush, and would be useless for a nice precise winged liner. I use it for lining the waterline with gel liner because it is more gentle than pointed brushes, but it's definitely not suited for what it's marketed for.
The angled brush is pretty much useless... It isn't even, the bristles clump weirdly, and the angle isn't even. It wouldn't be sharp or accurate enough for brows or eyeliner. I threw this out.
The little case it comes with is very cute and handy, but it feels very cheap. It'll be handy for travelling though, I'm sure. The brushes all look very cool in their purple colour and unique handles (very different and distinctive from other brands).

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 9/26/2012 10:18:00 PM More reviews by NaijaNYC

These brushes are such a STEAL for the price. They're very well made and great at distributing color. My favorite out of ALL of these has to be, the base eyeshadow brush. This makes for such a great blending brush! I think it gives the MAC 217 a run for it's money!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/20/2012 10:32:00 PM More reviews by lizzea

I only wouldn't buy this again because I don't think I'd need to - one set is enough (unless I lost/broke it!).

Beautifully soft set of brushes that have the perfect shape and size tips across the board. These are the first real techniques brushes I've tried so far and I'm definitely impressed. They completely live up to the hype in my opinion and I can't wait to try the face brushes!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/30/2012 2:13:00 PM More reviews by Narcisa89

I use these brushes everyday. The are so convenient to use. In this set there is something for everybody. Highly recommended! They are very easy to rinse, and dry very quickly! Just perfect! So dirt cheap for all of these brushes in one set!
You can get it on www.iherb.com for 17.99$ and use code POK969 to get 5$ off if you spend under 40$ and you will get 10$ off if you spend more than 40$! They ship internationally!