April 17, 2014 | 1745 users online

Shampoo - Shea Moisture - Organic Raw Shea Butter Moisture Retention Shampoo

rated 5 of 5 on 1/29/2012 10:02:00 PM More reviews by Maite5468

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

GREAT GREAT GREAT product! I've been using this shampoo, the conditioner that goes with it, the curl & style milk, and the reconstructive elixir for about a year now...... And my 3c curly/kinky hair has done a complete 180! I use to use whatever the salons recommended and a whole bunch of gel to style my hair (I found an argan oil mousse that's alcohol/sulfate free at CVS to replace the gel)......it was so dry and the gel would make it crunchy.....not cute..... I had no clue how to take care of my hair....i saw this line at target (and Walgreens) and let me tell u these products have changed my life. They are natural which is a huge deal cuz I'm switching everything over to natural products and they are effective! This shampoo leaves my hair soft and full of moisture, my curls are so pretty, I get so many compliments......and just $10! The only I guess con is I wish they came in bigger bottles......it lasts me about a month, depending on how often I wash (which is usually twice a week).......but I don't really mind cuz these products are IMO THE best for curly hair!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/9/2012 9:54:00 PM More reviews by dreadedchinadoll

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is my new favorite shampoo! For reference I have asian, medium thickness, long hair that's colored hair into a ombre (blonde ends). I believe this would work for all hair types. This cleans & lathers very well, best one i've tried from an all organic shampoo (I've tried them all) and after i wash out the shampoo my hair feels so moisturized as if i don't need any conditioner. I do still follow up with the same line conditioner and my hair is looking its best. My hair is a medium brown w/ombred blonde and the bottom was looking pretty dried out due to the bleach. I must say this line is fabulous I just can't believe i finally bought it after all those times i've passed on getting these @ target. The price is not so bad considering the quality that you get. This is a product that you won't regret buying, I assure you. A+ thanks Shea Moisture!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/23/2011 1:34:00 PM More reviews by pinkboa

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have been looking for a moisturizing shampoo that would make my hair more hydrated. I have naturally curly/wavy hair that is prone to terrible frizziness. I discovered this in the drugstore one day and instantly fell in love with the scent. It is light and almost a vanilla scent but nicer. It makes my hair so moisturized and I have NOT had a problem with frizz since I have been using this. I also use the matching conditioner which works well too. I will definately buy this again as long as it does what it has been doing.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/19/2011 7:30:00 AM More reviews by 1017

For a list of such natural ingredients, this had the most perfumey smell! It really bothered me. As for how the shampoo itself performed (all other aspects including conditioner the same in my routine) it was just "eh". Not bad, not great. My hair felt not overly dry, but not moisturized and silky either. On the plus side, it is sulfate free and full of tons of "good" ingredients. But I returned mine...not worth the $9. Going back to my Alba Botanical Rainforest Acai shampoo.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/22/2011 10:59:00 PM More reviews by Jewelx17

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This shampoo is awesome! I've been looking for a sulfate-free shampoo that moisturizes and this is it. I tried cleansing conditioners but they do not make your hair feel clean and low-sulfate shampoos still feel too drying. Even sulfate-free shampoos have been too drying for my hair after a while but this feels so nourishing! This shampoo looked and felt so thick that I wasn't sure if it would clean my hair. I was afraid I would look greasy but to my surprise, once I massaged this in, it worked up a really nice lather and my hair detangled easily in the shower when I ran my fingers through it. I almost felt like I didn't even need conditioner but of course I still used it. I used the matching conditioner (I'll review that later) and I'm pleasantly surprised. My hair felt and looked clean but not stripped. Oh, I also picked up a trial kit of the curl & shine collection from this brand and it smells really nice. It smells like pina colada-they describe the scent as coconut & hibiscus. Only thing is, it's not as moisturizing as this shampoo but still very gentle. Overall, I think I found the best gentle, moisturizing shampoo for my hair type and I won't be using anything else except a clarifying shampoo once in a while.
FYI-I'm asian with thick/coarse hair. It's very wavy, frizzy and DRY. This has really helped bring the moisture and health back into my hair.
Update: I still love a lot of products from this line, especially the conditioners and a new product I tried, the curling souffle, but I'm not as crazy about this as I was. The first couple weeks was great, my hair felt so soft. But I don't know what happened, all of a sudden, everytime I use this I get a pretty bad build up right around my crown area. It seems to only build up right around that area, probably because I use it the most on there because it gets the greasiest. I first thought I didn't wash it off completely so I kept trying again and again. Everytime, I get the same, greasy build-up type of residue. I don't know if its just not strong enough to get rid of the oil? I just don't get why it was great in the beginning and now it's not. Even when I use a clarifying shampoo, as soon as I go back to this, it's the same thing. I might have to go back to sulfate shampoos but I will continue using the conditioner. I might try again after giving this a break for a while and see if it works again.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/16/2011 10:54:00 AM More reviews by DazzleDiaries

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I like it. i really do. its a mild, moisturizing shampoo that i am currently using on most days. i do use a sulfate shampoo once every few weeks just to get rid of any residue or build up i may have on my hair due to products.

PROS: no harsh chemicals, preservatives, or sulfates. It actually uses Decyl Glucoside as the sulfactant which is mild and great for sensitive skin. I love that its moisturizing. My scalp tends to get dry at times and i think using the shampoo helps it retain moisture. It doesnt have sodium chloride. I get keratin treatments and sodium choloride is a big no no!

CONS: the smell is not going to be for everyone. it doesnt have perfumes in it so it smells kind of natural. Good thing is it doesnt linger in the hair after you wash out. the cost. its $9.99 at target and 11.99 at Walgreens. kind of pricey for a shampoo. i would prefer it to be priced along the lines of Organix and/or Renpure and stuff like that.

I do want to say that i am half black and half asian so my hair is a product of that, its curly and long and thick and curly hair by nature tends to be drier than straight hair. This keeps my curls moisturized well. I do think that this shampoo is only appropriate for "ethnic hair" or something similar. I do not recommend this for bone straight, thin hair. if you know what i mean :-)

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/8/2011 11:19:00 AM More reviews by flairgirl8

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Not impressed with this shampoo at all. First, it smells awful. I liked the natural ingredient list but did not find that this product was beneficial to my hair in any way. Left it feeling dry.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/6/2011 9:40:00 PM More reviews by kaisofine

OMG! i love this shampoo. do yourself a favor and at least buy the sample pack. you will get four 4 oz containers for the line, which is more then enough product to determine if you like the product line.

The shampoo is great it feels like you just put conditioner in your hair. and the smell is a nice and soft natural scent. this is my new shampoo.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/21/2011 8:15:00 PM More reviews by gommiebears

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Cool Hair: Black, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is one of the best "organic" shampoo I have tried to date. And at this point, I don't feel like trying to find one better. Let me talk about the pros about this shampoo. For one, a little goes a long way. Seriously. I have hard water, thanks to the good folks of Chicago Water Works, and most shampoos do lather if I pour a palm full in my hand to lather one side of my hair. Now I know lather is a cosmetic thing and it really does nothing in terms of cleaning the scalp but I love my suds. For me, after you shake it well for it to mix well, two dime size can do my whole head.

Second, while working the shampoo in my scalp, my hair feels soft and "detangled" almost. I mean it is really hard to tangle up my hair while shampooing my hair with this product. It makes every snarl and knot loosen free. Third, it rinses clean but does not make my hair squeaky clean, which I don't mind since I have a dry scalp and hair. And fourth is the best part: it completely cured my itchy scalp. I didn't have dandruff but my scalp would be itching like crazy like I had head lice or something. I guess whatever shampoo or product I was using, my scalp did not agree with it. But after using this product for over a month (which is a record for me since I bounce around a lot when it comes to hair products), my scalp is calm and clear from debris. I have no open sores or tightness of the scalp and I attributed it to the shampoo since I started using this.

The cons
The few cons about this shampoo are minimal. One, the smell is gross. But to be fair, I think I got a "boo boo" batch. I swear my bottle of shampoo smells like moth balls. I know it is the rosemary in the shampoo but Jesus it is like a fist to the face. Thank goodness it doesn't linger. The second con is that you have to shake it well because as a "natural" soap, the ingredients tends to separate and you need to mix it up before you use it or else, the shampoo will act a fool on you. Third con is not really a con but just as a FYI. This will not leave your hair squeaky clean at all. If you want a squeaky clean natural shampoo, you might want to look into Kinky Curly Come Clean or any sulfate shampoo. Fourth is the cost but honestly this stuff is cheap to me. I have spent three times as much on shampoo but was never satisfied with it. The amount I use, this mere bottle will last me a year at least, and I shampoo my hair fairly regularly.

Here are the ingredients:
de-ionized water, Decyl Glucoside (sugar beets), African Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea butter) (denotes certified organic ingredients), aloe vera leaf juice, Argan Oil, Panthenol (pro-vitamin B-5, rosemary extract, sea kelp extract, vitamin E, Lonicera Caprifolium (honeysuckle) flower and Lonicera Japonica (Japanese honeysuckle) flower extract.

I would continue to repurchase this shampoo until it is reformulated.

13 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/20/2011 3:47:00 PM More reviews by StarsnRocketsES

This is a great shampoo that cleans my hair without stripping it dry and leaving it hard and brittle. I love that it leaves my natural kinky curly hair soft and detangled. It doesn't have a pleasant scent, but it works well.