December 21, 2014 | 1586 users online

Hair Treatments - John Frieda - Go Blonder Lightening Spray

rated 1 of 5 on 11/9/2012 3:51:00 PM More reviews by AlwaysClassy33

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Anyone who has written a positive review on this product hasn't used it for a long enough period. I have natural blonde hair, and I purchased this to lighten it up a bit more and to make my highlights stand out. I notice a difference after about two uses. I didn't use it again for another couple weeks, and after what would be the forth use I noticed that my hair was starting to become gummy and straw-like. I immediately discontinued usage, but the damage was already done. My hair fell out in clumps and broke at the slightest touch. I had been growing my bangs out, and they were down to my chin. Now I have a huge section in the front that barely grazes my eyebrows. I've never been a fan of blunt cut bangs, and from the damage that's what I was left with. I'm embarrassed to leave my house with my hair looking like this. I went to my hair dresser to see what we could do, and I actually got my hair dyed brown in order to try to hide all the damage. It's terrible. There are so many different layers in my bangs and it just looks awful. I will NEVER use a product like this again. I'd rather overpay at a salon than to have my hair be this damaged ever again. I've uploaded several pictures so you all can see the extent of the damage. Yes, I know my hair is brown in the pictures--that's NOT my natural color. As I mentioned, I had it dyed to hide more damage, so don't accuse me of using the product when I shouldn't have.

5 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 9/27/2012 3:20:00 PM More reviews by Christy76

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This is just a warning..... This product is more for natural blondes.It will stripe yr color,so don't buy it! I do hair & I warn people,so they won't me up their hair.Becareful if u just colored yr hair & think this will make it better,NOT!

rated 1 of 5 on 9/20/2012 11:26:00 PM More reviews by bink180

I just recently had my hair bleached and thought this help brighten it a little bit.

It says it activates with heat and the more heat you use the faster the lightening results will be. It claims that is contains a thermo-protectant but I didn't beleive it. So I used heat-protecting spray just to see if it would affect in any way. Didn't work. So I waited a couple days and tried again without the heat protectant, it lightened the slightest slightest bit and it dried out my hair so bad.

I'm assuming it might just work better for natural blondes. but this just wasn't rocking my socks off. Taking it back.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/31/2012 2:22:00 AM More reviews by vivi1988

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have naturally light blonde hair. But I get it highlighted a few shades lighter ever 5 weeks. As I am saving up for go overseas I thought I would cheat and use this product to plug my roots to buy me a couple more weeks before I spend $200 for my next highlights. I read some reviews on the John Frieda site and they assured me of its 'miracle formula'

I used this product 4-5 times on my roots per directed on towel dried hair, and used a blowdryer and hair straightener. It made a fast impact and I was thrilled with the small changes I could see. But within two weeks my hair TURNED ORANGE. Quite suddenly really. As in, carrot juice orange. I look like Ron Weasley's forgotten sister. Except that it's just my roots. And not the sexy Christina Hendricks red, it's more of a Carrotop kinda shade. You can imagine how thrilled my boyfriend is.

So my hair now looks completely mutant. I pumped some dry shampoo on it to tone down the drama of bright orange roots, but it was so ridiculous that when I talked to people at work their eyes kept flicking up to my ridiculous hair. SO I went and got some violet shampoo (also John Frieda) which left my roots a yellowish/bile looking shade, and the rest of my hair a greyish look. Sexy!

Would I recommend it? No. Unless your boyfriend has a Mrs Ronald McDonald fetish, and loves the smell of vinegar smelling hair, I would most definitely not recommend this product for women with naturally light/ashy blonde hair.

*sad face*

rated 1 of 5 on 8/28/2012 4:43:00 PM More reviews by kinkilica

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

My once beautiful hair is falling out massively, for 2 months now, after I've been using this product for almost a year. something I've learned-if it seems too good to be true it usually is.... Strands that are falling out have white colored roots, because of the accumulation of Hydrogen Peroxide in my scalp. I have no idea what to do, doctors advise to try and condition my hair and use essential oils on the scalp but nothing is helping so far.... I've lost so much hair and am constantly depressed because of it. Don't risk it!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/22/2012 1:59:00 AM More reviews by Kaseyjb

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have been using this product for over a year, now. I am naturally a dirty blonde to light brown color, but I have been dying my hair for many, many years. As most, I hate having to spend tons of money to get my roots touched up at the salon. Obviously your hair dresser is going to recommend you to stop using this product in order for them to get more business from you. Honestly, after having my hair dyed blonde for many years, my hair was getting much, MUCH thinner than it used to be. After I started using this, I haven't had to go to a salon for anything but a bang cut. My hair is MUCH healthier feeling, has grown much faster than when I used to have it dyed, and just, in general, my hair doesn't fall out as easily as when I had it dyed at the salon. I am SO pleased with this product, and I don't agree with ANY of these negative reviews. Obviously if you naturally are darker than a light brown to a dirty blonde, you shouldn't even touch this product, in fact, leave your hair your dark color. I hope that John Frieda never, EVER discontinues this. I never want to go back to a salon to get my roots touched up again. I have repurchased this around 5 times=]
*Oh, and for goodness sake, make sure to read the directions and use it only on wet hair!

**You can look at my pictures on my profile to see my current hair color and how this product has worked on me

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/14/2012 2:35:00 PM More reviews by immy123

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have light brunette hair that I ombre using various lightening products. This is the best by far. I don't like using dyes and so this was perfect for me . Yes, it contains peroxide and is very damaging to your hair. Did I have an allergic reaction? No. Did my hair fall out? No. The ends went dry, which I solved by using a deep conditioning hair masque every couple of days combined with conditioner. To get best results, I washed my hair with Phil Smith Bombshell conditioner and shampoo, used Tresemme split remedy masque then towel dryed my hair then sprayed about 1/8 of the bottle onto the ends, and a few highlights in my hair to make it look more natural. I wouldn't advise using GHD's, blow dryers etc. as this is even more damaging and hair becomes very weak. Within 3 uses of this, my hair was much lighter. Do NOT use if you have black hair unless you're going for the ginger look. i also advise using Lush marilyn hair mask as this brightens highlights for a more vibrant look. This bottle lasts for just over 9 days, assuming you use it everyday.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/12/2012 11:04:00 AM More reviews by cuonbroadway

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I've been using Sun-In for the past 4, almost 5 years. While Sun-In has been effective on my hair, I absolutely hate the smell. It seems to stick around on my hair even after I've washed it several times. I thought I'd try the Go Blonder product to see if I could avoid that awful smell.

Well, first of all it's a much more expensive product and you get less product with Go Blonder than Sun-In. But, it does get rid of the smell issue that I was having.

Go Blonder creates results faster for me than Sun-In does. I alternate between the two and only use them once or twice a week collectively. I think if you really take care of your hair with oil treatments, deep conditioners, and sulfate-free products, you can still use these products and have healthy hair. I've been using it for several months now without issue.

I would most likely purchase Go Blonder again, but the price is the one thing that might cause me to not repurchase.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/9/2012 3:21:00 AM More reviews by silverkoala

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I am also a dark blonde (lighter during spring/summer) and I thought this spray would give me a nice color in between salon touch-ups. What a mistake! I should have read this reviews before.

Let me say, I have dyed my hair in many different ways, gone fully blond, blonder, brunette, and back to all highlights. My hair is very resistant and although peroxide does some damage, after a few conditioning treatments it looks ok.

I applied this in my lower layers of hair just to test it. Hmmm after a few weeks, hair was REALLY dry and barely any change. I should have stopped there! No, I had to try a bit more spray/heat OMG my hair kind of shrank with the texture of a loofah

Also, i will mention that I know how to apply these things. I used to be a junior stylist during my college years and I mostly did color. The formula does a LOT of damage for the results (if any)

rated 4 of 5 on 8/7/2012 12:52:00 PM More reviews by beautyaddict96

Whoa. Let me just say that my hair has not fallen out/been irreparably damaged/taken on a gum like texture etc.
I bought this because I have dirty blonde hair and I want much lighter blonde hair (to go with my extremely pale skin) but my mom won't let me dye my hair. I found this and since I was already flat ironing my hair every day (at the time) I thought I would just add this to my styling products to get lighter hair.
I used this along with a heat protectant and an anti frizz cream, let my hair dry, sprayed a bit more of this on, and then I would straighten my hair. I sprayed it all throughout my hair (even though the bottle advises not to) and I did not experience any strange side effects. Within a week I noticed some subtle lightening, and within 3 weeks, my hair was much lighter.
I never achieved the extremely light blonde hair I desired, but I came pretty close. I finished a whole bottle, but I'm a little scared to buy another after reading the other reviews. It has worked well for the past few months, but I don't want my hair falling out!
All in all, it was a great product, but I'm going to stop using it because I'm scared that my hair might become damaged. Hair health > hair color.