July 23, 2014 | 2064 users online

Hair Treatments - John Frieda - Go Blonder Lightening Spray

rated 1 of 5 on 8/9/2012 3:21:00 AM More reviews by silverkoala

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I am also a dark blonde (lighter during spring/summer) and I thought this spray would give me a nice color in between salon touch-ups. What a mistake! I should have read this reviews before.

Let me say, I have dyed my hair in many different ways, gone fully blond, blonder, brunette, and back to all highlights. My hair is very resistant and although peroxide does some damage, after a few conditioning treatments it looks ok.

I applied this in my lower layers of hair just to test it. Hmmm after a few weeks, hair was REALLY dry and barely any change. I should have stopped there! No, I had to try a bit more spray/heat OMG my hair kind of shrank with the texture of a loofah

Also, i will mention that I know how to apply these things. I used to be a junior stylist during my college years and I mostly did color. The formula does a LOT of damage for the results (if any)

rated 4 of 5 on 8/7/2012 12:52:00 PM More reviews by beautyaddict96

Whoa. Let me just say that my hair has not fallen out/been irreparably damaged/taken on a gum like texture etc.
I bought this because I have dirty blonde hair and I want much lighter blonde hair (to go with my extremely pale skin) but my mom won't let me dye my hair. I found this and since I was already flat ironing my hair every day (at the time) I thought I would just add this to my styling products to get lighter hair.
I used this along with a heat protectant and an anti frizz cream, let my hair dry, sprayed a bit more of this on, and then I would straighten my hair. I sprayed it all throughout my hair (even though the bottle advises not to) and I did not experience any strange side effects. Within a week I noticed some subtle lightening, and within 3 weeks, my hair was much lighter.
I never achieved the extremely light blonde hair I desired, but I came pretty close. I finished a whole bottle, but I'm a little scared to buy another after reading the other reviews. It has worked well for the past few months, but I don't want my hair falling out!
All in all, it was a great product, but I'm going to stop using it because I'm scared that my hair might become damaged. Hair health > hair color.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/30/2012 12:58:00 AM More reviews by AtlasShrugged

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I'm in the process of shopping for a wig or hair piece to wear to my wedding because I don't want to walk down the aisle with the bald spot and broken hair that this horrific product has caused. Oh, how I wish I had been aware of these reviews before I used this spray. If all it had done was dry my hair out or cause an unflattering color I would have tossed it in the bin and moved on, but unfortunately it caused damage that will take YEARS to undo. All the hair on the top of my head where I used the spray has broken off about a quarter of an inch from the root. I experienced alarming hair loss to the extent that we had to put in a filter on the shower because it was clogging the drain. There is a very noticeable bald patch at the very front of my hair. The roots are so flimsy now, and all the affected hair feels sticky like I poured glue on top of my head. I should note that I was only using this spray a couple of times a week, and was using a deep conditioner plus a weekly conditioning hair mask. This damage didn't occur due to a lack of care for my hair or because of any other product. My doctor confirmed that the John Frieda Go Blonder spray is the culprit. Unfortunately, when you stop using the product the problem doesn't just resolve itself because it destroys your hair. It's completely beyond repair. About 12 inches worth of hair broke off, and new hair isn't growing back in. Also, the new hair that is growing in is gray whereas on the rest of my head it's still growing in blonde. This is due to the trauma and build up of hydrogen peroxide. I've spent a small fortune in other products to try to repair the damage, but really only time is going to do it. In the meantime, I absolutely cannot color my hair again, I have to spend extra time every morning trying to do a comb-over effect to cover up the bald spot, and if it's at all windy out I must wear a hat or deal with hair that stands straight up.

I've spoken with John Frieda about this and written them a letter. Basically all they really did was offer me a coupon for a new product of theirs after submitting an extensive medical survey. The customer service representative I spoke with said she and others who work at John Frieda / KAO (parent company) are trying to push for more warnings to be put on the box for consumers. Right now the information on the box and the website is completely inadequate.

I would absolutely avoid this product. Yes, the first few times you use it you might be wowed and think it's awesome, but once your hair breaks out and you've got a bald spot you'll regret using it. This product is especially damaging for people with finer, more porous hair.

I'm new to this site, but I'm going to try to figure out how to add pictures.

16 out of 19 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/28/2012 11:47:00 AM More reviews by Utopia22

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

As any other bleaching product, this does kind off damages your hair. Obviously, it's strong chemical stuff you're messing with :-) I was well aware of this but as any other girl deciding to 'go blonder', I ultimately chose hair beauty > hair health :-)

So I guess all the negative reviews are legitimate.

But is does work, your hair does gets lighter. I didn't notice it so much myself since it happened gradually but my friends and hairdresser sure did.

What I hated most though was that it turned my roots YELLOW/ORANGEY, an effect I get easily when trying to dye my hair (both when I do it myself as when done by a professional). For this reason I will stop using it and start bleaching my hair with the real - even more damaging - stuff.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/27/2012 12:07:00 PM More reviews by Sineadj

Like many women I thought this was a great product and any product that would keep my hair light with out bleach would be fantastic! After a few days I saw results and was very pleased with the product and used it for months after and recommended it to many other blondes. .At first its great!
Unfortunately, the product is not as it seems. My hairdresser informed me that my hair was getting really weak and ever since my hair has been in a terrible condition, with problems ranging from
When trying to brush my wet hair it almost feels like chewing gum is stuck in my hair.
The hair is completely frazzled and dry.
My hair is falling out.
The worst part, my hair is starting to break off at the roots. A number of women had written so many reviews complaining about the products and having the exact same problems as myself.Yes there are some good reviews but I believe this is people who have not been using the product on a long term basis.I am absolutely appalled that a well known hair company can willingly sell this on the shelves, without warning people of the long term effects.For most women, their hair is very important to them and something they take pride in, I have looked after my hair for so long and it was in fantastic condition. I am so upset that one stupid product could ruin my hair and will now take years to grow back.I am desperate to inform other women about this product and get this damn things off the shelves!!

rated 1 of 5 on 7/20/2012 12:57:00 PM More reviews by JessicaLynnBull

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

DO NOT BUY THIS. Oh my gosh. I'm very skilled with bleaching and dying my hair, i had been bleach blonde for about three months and i have very hard watter that makes your hair brassy- so i thought lets use this John Frieda product.... At first it was great, kept my color but i noticed it dried my hair alot. I thought it was just the summer time. Well i kept using it for 3 months and one day i just really studied my hair in the mirror and i had noticed my hair had broken off majorly... like, my hair used to be past my boobs and after using this product it was just barley past my shoulders. IT SUCKSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!

rated 1 of 5 on 7/17/2012 10:25:00 AM More reviews by Caro24

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

PLEASE BE WARNED, DO NOT USE THIS PRODUCT!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am natural honey blonde, but last year I wanted to go a bit lighter for the summer and I came across this product thinking it would be a great, cheap way of creating some lighter tones in my hair. I REALLY REGRET USING IT NOW! My healthy, thick, long hair, became very dry, tangly and fried after a few uses with this product. I also began noticing some hair breakage especially around my face were I used the product the most. The spray also made my hair turn an extremely unnatural yellow colour which I hated, so I decided to stop using it and thank god, before I had lasting damage. I got my hair done at an excellent professional hair salon, which I have been going to for the past year and now my hair is in great condition again and my colour is back to a lovely honey blonde colour again. I strongly recommend spending the money on going to a professional hairdresser if you want to colour your hair, after all, your hair is your crowning glory. Lightening sprays and box dyes may be cheap, but they cause extreme damage that may be irrepairable.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/10/2012 10:11:00 PM More reviews by Ainslee

I have dark brown hair that I dye/bleach blonde. I was hoping between touch ups that this would help but it doesn't :\ I know the packaging says only for natural blondes but I wanted to give it a try. It was expensive and only made my roots a brassy-orange colour rather than blonde. It also contains hydrogen peroxide so I'm sure it was damaging to my hair.. Plus it says that you have to use it with heat for it to work. I like to air dry my hair so this just made me use more heat on my hair!

rated 1 of 5 on 7/6/2012 4:44:00 AM More reviews by annia316

I can only second what rosecaronline720 wrote: IF YOU ARE BLEACHED/HAVE HIGHLIGHTS, DO NOT USE THIS PRODUCT!!! I loved the idea of this product. I do color my hair as I am not a natural blond. Therefore I visit my hairdresser monthly. So I got this spray and thought it would help my lighten my roots. In fact it did ruin parts of my hair. My hairdresser told me the parts I used the spray on are like hair-gum now. Thanks John Frieda for ruining my hair. Not recommend this spray at all. So does my hairdresser.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/27/2012 12:14:00 PM More reviews by Brittany82487

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I thought this product didnt really do much to lighten my hair. I have strawberry blonde hair naturally, but darkens in the winter. I wanted something for summer that would brighten and lighten my hair. It has a yucky smell and really dried out my hair.

Honestly, i would reccommend Sun In. Its been around forever, but this product works better for me. You can use it by sitting out in the sun, or spray it all over your hair before blow drying and after a few uses, your hair will be noticeably lighter. Plus, it was a wonderful beachy, tropical smell. My hair doesnt feel as fried after i use it.

However, as many of you probably know, these products will only work if you already have some varying shade of blonde hair. Those with medium to dark brown hair...the results probably wont turn out that good.