Shiseido Nourishing Mascara Base

4.3

I love this mascara base. I had lost a lot of lashes in the middle of the upper lid and after using this base my eyelashes have grown back in and also are thicker and longer. I see that this base has castor oil in it which I read helps the lashes to grow. HG for me.

on 1/22/2012 9:03:00 PM

This is a HG item for me - I am very impressed. With two coats of this mascara base, my eyelashes stay curly, separated, long and defined throughout the day. I have stick straight eyelashes and monolid Asian eyes, so getting my eyelashes to stay curled has always been an obstacle. Applying the base and letting it dry before putting on another mascara also reduces the inevitable smudginess that comes with 8 hr+ wear. I will definitely repurchase.

EDIT: I have found that when I use an eyeshadow primer, such as Stila Prime Pot or Urban Decay Primer Potion, the curl does not last all day - maybe five hours. Since I have monolid eyes, it is inevitable that the eyelid rubs against the eyelash and transfers the product. So I took off two lippies.

on 1/13/2012 1:31:00 AM

My lashes: Short, straight, asian lashes. Without a base and mascara, they're pretty much non-existent. I definitely need a mascara base to help hold a curl. I was a BIG fan of the original Shiseido Mascara Base and was really disappointed when I found out it was discontinued. Great brush, great formula, kept a curl, and prevented smudging...why would they discontinue such a great product?! Anyway, as gross as it may sound, I kept my using my old one for some time before I finally tossed it and even then, it took me quite a while before taking the plunge and trying the new nourishing mascara base because I thought it wouldn't be as effective. I finally bought it after receiving a Christmas gift card and I'm glad I did!

Packaging, in my opinion, is sleeker, and the brush is slimmer, but still effective. As far as 'nourishing' my lashes, I think it's too soon to tell, but it doesn't contribute to any stiffness (perhaps that has to do with my mascara though). The formulation appears...lighter, smoother, and less clumpy than the original. I can't remember the price of the old Shiseido Mascara Base, but if I recall correctly, I paid about $25 CAD for this new one.

Bottom Line: I'm glad a took the plunge on this! It performs just as well, dare I say even better, than it's predecessor. It is on the expensive side, but for me, it's worth its price tag.

on 12/30/2011 5:50:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral

This isn't even remotely close to the old formula (which WAS holy grail). The old formula made all mascaras seem better than they actually were. I got used to only having to apply one coat of mascara, because it intensified my lashes so much. The new formula is just OK...nothing fantastic. It's a thinner formula & doesn't give any kind of "wow" effect concerning lash fullness. My lashes don't feel any more conditioned than they were without it. I'm really disappointed that the company changed the product. What in the world were they thinking??? I don't think they were. Stupid.

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

Just as wonderful as Shiseido's previous mascara base which was darn near perfect. Wait... I take that back... this formulation is BETTER than it was before!!! The brush is skinnier so I can get to each and every lash. The product is a bit thinner so there's no issue with potential clumping. Best of all, it holds a curl just as good as it ever did. After using Shiseido's The Mascara Base for years,I was devastated to find it had been discontinued and had begun the ridiculous trial-&-error process of finding a new one that I loved just as much. After I tried and returned the first awful one (Lancone Cils Booster... yuck) I was so grateful to the MUAer who told me Shiseido Nourishing Mascara Base existed. THIS STUFF ROCKS!

on 12/8/2011 10:13:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I was a big fan of the previous version of this product and was disappointed when they changed the formula. At first, I was not impressed with this. However, I read some reviews and realized the problem. You MUST let it dry before applying mascara (unlike the previous version). After I started doing this, it provides the same length, volume and curl-holding power as the previous version.

I cannot wear mascara without this. It makes my lashes look so long. Love this!

on 11/21/2011 1:10:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I hate to say it, but I was a bit disappointed with this product. I was expecting volume, length and curl. I have STRAIGHT lashes that will not hold a curl. I tested this out by wearing it on one eye and not the other under my mascara and while it did hold the curl longer than the eye without the base, the curl still fell a significant amount at the end of the day.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

My eyelash background:
-Mid-length
-Varying thickness
-Lashes curl naturally at the outer corner of eye but are stick straight towards the middle.

I was a huge fan of the previous mascara base, however upon trying out this new formula, I am hugely disappointed. I have nothing good to say about it except that the new packing is sleeker and nicer than the old (one lippie). This new formula is thinner and when compared to the old formulation, this mascara base does NOT give me volume at all, hardly lengthens and does not hold up a curl very well. I've tried using the new mascara base several different ways but nothing seems to work. Nonetheless, I'll stick with it and see how the formula differs when it has dried out a little. Will update then.

on 11/15/2011 10:44:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

I like this product! it keeps my curls stay all day and it doesn't even look that I'm wearing anything. Although sometimes that I find clumps on my lashes and that can be gently removed with my fingers so it's all fine I guess. After I use this, I follow it with my normal mascara full n' soft maybelline and it works like magic. I am not sure yet about how long this will last if I don't use it though, hope it lasts long.
love it!

I was told that I needed mascara base because it helps keep my eyelashes healthier and not fall out so much. I'm not sure if this is 100% true, but all in all, I really like this product. It feels good going onto my lashes and has lasted me a long time. I do see a difference when using it compared to not before putting on mascara, so I definitely will buy this product again.

Top Rated Shiseido Products