April 18, 2014 | 1990 users online

rated 1 of 5 on 11/17/2011 10:15:00 PM More reviews by doubleazitstands

My eyelash background:
-Mid-length
-Varying thickness
-Lashes curl naturally at the outer corner of eye but are stick straight towards the middle.

I was a huge fan of the previous mascara base, however upon trying out this new formula, I am hugely disappointed. I have nothing good to say about it except that the new packing is sleeker and nicer than the old (one lippie). This new formula is thinner and when compared to the old formulation, this mascara base does NOT give me volume at all, hardly lengthens and does not hold up a curl very well. I've tried using the new mascara base several different ways but nothing seems to work. Nonetheless, I'll stick with it and see how the formula differs when it has dried out a little. Will update then.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/15/2011 10:44:00 PM More reviews by astiam

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I like this product! it keeps my curls stay all day and it doesn't even look that I'm wearing anything. Although sometimes that I find clumps on my lashes and that can be gently removed with my fingers so it's all fine I guess. After I use this, I follow it with my normal mascara full n' soft maybelline and it works like magic. I am not sure yet about how long this will last if I don't use it though, hope it lasts long.
love it!

rated 4 of 5 on 11/2/2011 2:07:00 AM More reviews by worldtraveler05

I was told that I needed mascara base because it helps keep my eyelashes healthier and not fall out so much. I'm not sure if this is 100% true, but all in all, I really like this product. It feels good going onto my lashes and has lasted me a long time. I do see a difference when using it compared to not before putting on mascara, so I definitely will buy this product again.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/24/2011 9:22:00 AM More reviews by carm3nsandi3go

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I can't give it 4 starts because I miss the old mascara base. I've learned how to work with this one though; I spread the product on with the tip of the mascara wand first and then go through the lashes with a few swipes. I give it time to 'dry' a little before putting on waterproof black mascara and it looks great. make sure you are using a really good eyelash curler + mascara if you want good results! Waiting for it to settle/dry is key..for me, anyway.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/3/2011 9:16:00 PM More reviews by Daisycloud

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I had no problems with the changes when they switched from the old formula to this one. It's great and everything good that everyone says about this product is true. It holds a curl in my wimpy Asian lashes.

I never bother with trying to get waterproof mascaras to hold the curl because they always end up breaking off or drying out my lashes. It's been a few years since I started using the original formula and I'm pretty sure that both the new and old formulas condition and nourish my lashes becase they don't break as easily and have grown slighly longer because they're healthier. I find it waterproof but really easy to remove with Neutrogena and L'oreal duo phase removers and Sensibio.

If you've been considering this but think it's too expensive, just get it!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/3/2011 7:04:00 PM More reviews by MiaMore84

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I absolutely love this mascara base! I bought this with a Shiseido lash curler and OMG HOLY LASHES!!! Before I made the purchase, I did my research and my top two contenders were the Shiseido and the Dior mascara base. I'm sooooo glad I followed my instincts (and all the hundreds of positive reviews) because this product is simply amazing!... even for my stubby, short, stick-straight Asian lashes. An absolute miracle! I have to say I've never used the "old formula" but I'm so happy with this one that I can't imagine a better version. The important thing is that it works and it seems to be the best out there.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/20/2011 11:17:00 PM More reviews by Faerilyn

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

If I was stranded on a desert island and still have a vanity bag, then this is in it!

Can't say much about the old formula except it was a bit thicker in consistency than this. I prefer it this way though, just because the old formula did sometimes clump but the new formula NEVER clumps. Not even when using on the bottom lashes! :D

Yeah price is high but worth every single penny! "Nourishing" has the awesome ability of making a crappy mascara good, a good mascara awesome, and awesome to amazing! I'm an mascara whore so this has saved me alot of money.

I am Chinese so my lashes are very straight. They aren't too sparse or too short, just stick-straight. So every morning I must curl my lashes for them to show. On most days, I just want to make my eyes look more awake. So I would:

1. Curl the lashes with my Shiseido eyelash curler (skip the Shu Uemura and buy this instead!).

2. Set the curl with "Nourshing" by very lightly, applying some on the top of the top lashes first. And then applying it the "normal way", more on the outer corners than the inner corners.

And you can get away with just that if you use a light hand and don't over-apply. "Nourishing" dries clear for me.

If I have more time, then I also:

3. Coat my lashes with an actual mascara. "Wiggle" the brush. Currently, my HG is Maybelline Full and Soft Waterproof. One coat is enough. A 2nd coat will start looking "Dolly" or like fake lashes. But it's all good since I never feel like the exact same look everyday.

If I have even more time, then I:

4. Put some mascara on the bottom lashes too. I use a separate bottom lash mascara, something for length/definition, nothing thick. Currently I'm in love with Clinique Bottom Lash.

Long post but I hope this helps other girls like me!

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/20/2011 10:10:00 PM More reviews by pixeth

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I have been a big fan of the original Shiseido mascara base and was so sad when I found out it was discontinued! My mom picked this up for me one day thinking it was the original so I tried it out and it is AMAZING! I much prefer this formula over the old one. It goes on without as much clumping and it holds my lashes alllllllll day! This base + my Covergirl lashblast volume waterproof (orange tube) has held my lashes curles and smudge proof for 13 hours and counting. Absolutely love love this base!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/8/2011 5:13:00 PM More reviews by izzybella

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I was really bummed when Shiseido discontinued the original mascara base. I didn't think I'd like the new version but I bought one anyways because a lot of reviews said it was comparable to the original. I used it a few times and wasn't wowed by it. The nourishing base is thinner but easier to spread on the lashes. It mostly lengthens but I don't think it volumizes as well as the original. My lashes don't hold a curl as well and look kinda limp. I returned it because it was not worth the $23.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/6/2011 6:36:00 PM More reviews by Senikxy

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This new formula is great! Goes on smoothly and separates, wish it gave more volume but I just layer more mascara on.. Will buy again and again!