October 23, 2014 | 2067 users online

Mascara - Shiseido - Nourishing Mascara Base

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/30/2011 5:50:00 PM More reviews by Goldenstar

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

This isn't even remotely close to the old formula (which WAS holy grail). The old formula made all mascaras seem better than they actually were. I got used to only having to apply one coat of mascara, because it intensified my lashes so much. The new formula is just OK...nothing fantastic. It's a thinner formula & doesn't give any kind of "wow" effect concerning lash fullness. My lashes don't feel any more conditioned than they were without it. I'm really disappointed that the company changed the product. What in the world were they thinking??? I don't think they were. Stupid.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/28/2011 11:02:00 PM More reviews by HeCallsMeGorgeous

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Just as wonderful as Shiseido's previous mascara base which was darn near perfect. Wait... I take that back... this formulation is BETTER than it was before!!! The brush is skinnier so I can get to each and every lash. The product is a bit thinner so there's no issue with potential clumping. Best of all, it holds a curl just as good as it ever did. After using Shiseido's The Mascara Base for years,I was devastated to find it had been discontinued and had begun the ridiculous trial-&-error process of finding a new one that I loved just as much. After I tried and returned the first awful one (Lancone Cils Booster... yuck) I was so grateful to the MUAer who told me Shiseido Nourishing Mascara Base existed. THIS STUFF ROCKS!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/8/2011 10:13:00 PM More reviews by sunshine880

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I was a big fan of the previous version of this product and was disappointed when they changed the formula. At first, I was not impressed with this. However, I read some reviews and realized the problem. You MUST let it dry before applying mascara (unlike the previous version). After I started doing this, it provides the same length, volume and curl-holding power as the previous version.

I cannot wear mascara without this. It makes my lashes look so long. Love this!

rated 3 of 5 on 11/21/2011 1:10:00 PM More reviews by nettersbetter

I hate to say it, but I was a bit disappointed with this product. I was expecting volume, length and curl. I have STRAIGHT lashes that will not hold a curl. I tested this out by wearing it on one eye and not the other under my mascara and while it did hold the curl longer than the eye without the base, the curl still fell a significant amount at the end of the day.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/17/2011 10:15:00 PM More reviews by doubleazitstands

My eyelash background:
-Mid-length
-Varying thickness
-Lashes curl naturally at the outer corner of eye but are stick straight towards the middle.

I was a huge fan of the previous mascara base, however upon trying out this new formula, I am hugely disappointed. I have nothing good to say about it except that the new packing is sleeker and nicer than the old (one lippie). This new formula is thinner and when compared to the old formulation, this mascara base does NOT give me volume at all, hardly lengthens and does not hold up a curl very well. I've tried using the new mascara base several different ways but nothing seems to work. Nonetheless, I'll stick with it and see how the formula differs when it has dried out a little. Will update then.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/15/2011 10:44:00 PM More reviews by astiam

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I like this product! it keeps my curls stay all day and it doesn't even look that I'm wearing anything. Although sometimes that I find clumps on my lashes and that can be gently removed with my fingers so it's all fine I guess. After I use this, I follow it with my normal mascara full n' soft maybelline and it works like magic. I am not sure yet about how long this will last if I don't use it though, hope it lasts long.
love it!

rated 4 of 5 on 11/2/2011 2:07:00 AM More reviews by worldtraveler05

I was told that I needed mascara base because it helps keep my eyelashes healthier and not fall out so much. I'm not sure if this is 100% true, but all in all, I really like this product. It feels good going onto my lashes and has lasted me a long time. I do see a difference when using it compared to not before putting on mascara, so I definitely will buy this product again.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/24/2011 9:22:00 AM More reviews by carm3nsandi3go

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I can't give it 4 starts because I miss the old mascara base. I've learned how to work with this one though; I spread the product on with the tip of the mascara wand first and then go through the lashes with a few swipes. I give it time to 'dry' a little before putting on waterproof black mascara and it looks great. make sure you are using a really good eyelash curler + mascara if you want good results! Waiting for it to settle/dry is key..for me, anyway.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/3/2011 9:16:00 PM More reviews by Daisycloud

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I had no problems with the changes when they switched from the old formula to this one. It's great and everything good that everyone says about this product is true. It holds a curl in my wimpy Asian lashes.

I never bother with trying to get waterproof mascaras to hold the curl because they always end up breaking off or drying out my lashes. It's been a few years since I started using the original formula and I'm pretty sure that both the new and old formulas condition and nourish my lashes becase they don't break as easily and have grown slighly longer because they're healthier. I find it waterproof but really easy to remove with Neutrogena and L'oreal duo phase removers and Sensibio.

If you've been considering this but think it's too expensive, just get it!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/3/2011 7:04:00 PM More reviews by MiaMore84

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I absolutely love this mascara base! I bought this with a Shiseido lash curler and OMG HOLY LASHES!!! Before I made the purchase, I did my research and my top two contenders were the Shiseido and the Dior mascara base. I'm sooooo glad I followed my instincts (and all the hundreds of positive reviews) because this product is simply amazing!... even for my stubby, short, stick-straight Asian lashes. An absolute miracle! I have to say I've never used the "old formula" but I'm so happy with this one that I can't imagine a better version. The important thing is that it works and it seems to be the best out there.