September 2, 2014 | 1781 users online

Powder - Tarte - Smooth Operator Micronized Clay Finishing Powder

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/16/2012 8:03:00 AM More reviews by NYCBeauty99

I'm really disappointed that I bought this porduct. It gets such great reviews here and on Sephora.com. I've been using MUFE HD powder for about a year. I decided to try something different. This does not control oil as well as the HD. It also doesn't give the soft focus effect that the HD does. Overall, I'm very disappointed. It would return it, but I threw out the box. So I'll use it up, but then I'll go right back to the HD.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/11/2012 10:13:00 PM More reviews by meilove

I loveee this. HG! I've tried to many products for my oily t-zone [esp my nose]. I got this as a gratis from my job at Ulta and tried it. OMG it's amazing. Although the oil will show through after a few hours, it never looks oily. It just gives my face a "glow". Who knew it could make oil look that good. I'm still using my sample version and cringe at the price of the original size but I WILL buy again and again because it's that good. Also wish that there were more than 2 holes for the product to come out. LOVE THIS PRODUCT!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/30/2012 6:44:00 PM More reviews by AndreaJunelle

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I really love this powder! I am almost 30yrs old w/fair &oily (and sometimes acne prone) skin. Having oily skin I think I've tried EVERY powder & this certainly ranks up there as one of the best. I use this to set my makeup almost every day. If your skin is super oily like mine, don't expect this to keep oil at bay all day long - (at this point I've realized that there's NO such miracle product out there) - but this does a good job trying & seems like I can apply, apply & REapply some more w/out it ever looking cakey. I use either ELF's Mini Kabuki Brush or ELF's Flat Top Powder Brush to apply. Only objection w/this is the packaging (as others have mentioned...) The first time I opened it I spilled half of the powder out on my bathroom floor :( (and I wasn't being careless! was actually trying to b careful w/it!) The two holes in the sifter were not enough for me to get my desired amount out, so I wanted to carefully pop the sifter out and decant the powder into a better container that I already had.. Since there seem to be so many complaints regarding the packaging I know that I personally be happy to pay a few more dollars for this if Tarte would maybe try the "sift & lock" kinda thingy that Bare Minerals/Essentials has on their loose products. Regardless, it's a nice setting powder that helps control my oily skin and doesn't cause my finicky skin to break out :)
UPDATE - 4/7/13
This had gotten shuffled down to the bottom of my makeup stash for the past 6 months or so and I forgot I had it until last week. Several months ago I started using MakeUpForever's HD Silica Powder & fell in love. AFTER paying full price I realized that MUFE's HD powder is simply 100% silica. Did a little digging to find that Coastal Scents, TKB Trading, & NYX all produce pure silica powders as well for a fraction of what MUFE charges. I'm on the verge of being out of all of my MUFE HD powder and told myself that I was going to use up another powder that I already own before letting myself purchase one of the above silica powders. Having very oily skin I have MANY setting powders. Another that I reach for quite often is NYC Smooth Skin Loose. I've been rotating NYC Smooth Skin loose with this for the past few days. I have to be careful how much of this I apply because it'll start to make my face look dull if I go overboard. Luckily I'm quite pale so I don't ever notice a white-ish cast or anything like that (which other reviewers have mentioned) - I'd be around N10 in MAC. But I definitely can get that "dull" look if I'm not careful. To avoid this I mix a little liquid highlighter in with my foundation on days I plan on wearing this powder and it battles the problem well (specifically using either MAC Strobe Cream, NYC Smooth Skin Primer, L'Oreal Magic Lumi Primer, or Rimmel Wake Me Up Liquid Luminizer shade 001). Overall, this is still a really nice setting powder, ideal for oily skin but doesn't cause or accentuate any dry patches or flakes that all skintypes can get from time to time so I can see other skin types enjoying this as well.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/27/2012 5:04:00 PM More reviews by Shuper

I'm pretty oily so I needed something to take away the shine. However this would usually fade in a couple hours.

the packaging is also very hard to use.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/4/2012 9:44:00 AM More reviews by karinaFresh

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm Hair: Red, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

Out of all the setting powders I've tried (which is a good amount) this is by far my favorite! If you have oily skin like me this is a god-send, it's the best powder for oil-control I've ever tried, I don't have to blot nearly as much during the day. It keeps my makeup on longer than any other setting powders & almost makes my makeup water-resistant. My skin feels so silky smooth and even with this - I don't get that "wipes-hand-off-because-I-got-some-makeup-on-it" when someone touches my face like they used to. It makes my makeup actually feel like soft, smooth skin - not makeup! It won't leave a white cast in flash photography like the MUFE HD which is a waste of money btw (I had my pic taken, my skin looked good) It blurs imperfections very well, not as well as say the It Cosmetics bye bye pores powder, but I gotta say I like this one so much better than that. I apply this using the press & roll method with a puff, it makes my makeup look like it has a glow to it, like an airbrushed effect, never dry, dull, or too powdery. I used to kinda be against pure white setting powders but this has converted me. If you want a setting powder that makes makeup last, controls oil, makes skin look airbrushed, & smooths & softens skin then this is the powder for you!

rated 4 of 5 on 4/26/2012 9:10:00 AM More reviews by Purplegal

This is a keeper! This makes my skin look airbrushed & keeps my makeup in place all day. I have very oily skin & most days it controls the shine all day & into the night without touchups (a first for me). My pores do look smaller when I use it, but I am skeptical that long term use will actually decrease their size. I actually like the delivery system - it keeps me from wasting product. The price is expensive, but I bet this small contain will last more than a year. The only reason I didn't give this 5 lippies is that it doesn't contain sunscreen. Overall I highly recommend - no breakouts or shine, improved skin & makes skin look airbrushed. I even used this as a primer & had good results.

Edit. 4/24/13: Wow!! I have been using this same container of powder daily for a year & still have half of it left!! Definitely a good value AND I still love it.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/25/2012 10:50:00 AM More reviews by bella418

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I was so excited about this stuff this that i bought it in both the regular and bronze. It worked decently at first but then ever since I noticed I was getting persistent acne breakouts. I think its the kaolin in it because my skin was never fond of clay masks and the ones I used have that ingredient. I have kind of dry facial skin that gets oily and flaky all at once. I hoped this would somewhat normalize my skin and lessen my pore size but neither happened over the three months of use. Ever since. i stoppwd using it my skins flakiness lessened, acne diminished, and pore size reduced tho? Waste of 60$... for me at least

rated 2 of 5 on 4/25/2012 9:38:00 AM More reviews by JL06451

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I really wanted to like this product, especially after reading all of the fabulous reviews. Unfortunately, I don't feel like it makes an enormous difference for me. I have large pores and shiny skin (it's not really oily, per se, just shiny). I don't wear liquid foundation because it tends to settle in my pores, so I typically use pressed powder. I was hoping that this product would be my new go-to and that I would be able to get away with using it once a day like so many others have said. If I put it on in the morning after moisturizing, it lasts about an hour until it looks like I never put powder on at all. Plus, for about 20 minutes of that hour, my face looks chalky white - until the fine powder settles in. Maybe my skin is just too weird to allow this powder to do it's magic... either way, this stuff is way too spendy to use when it doesn't do anything at all!

rated 4 of 5 on 4/11/2012 8:21:00 PM More reviews by mermanda

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

I love the flawless finish this gives me. I can honestly tell the difference when I forget to use it. This powder, dusted on with a kabuki brush ever so lightly on top of my foundation, highlighter and blush, gives a great polished look -- and gives me a nice glow.

The one thing I don't like about this is the delivery system. You are supposed to be able to get the perfect amount from the one tiny hole in the center by gently pressing down on it. This was true at first but now that I've used about a fourth of the product, I am finding it is getting harder to dispense. I can only imagine it will get worse as I continue to use it. I do appreciate that it keeps the powder in the container where it belongs... but maybe they can tweak the design a little to make it easier to dispense.

Despite the delivery system, I will definitely rebuy. Love it.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/31/2012 8:08:00 AM More reviews by mrshall28

This stuff is great. It lasts a really long time. I have had mine for 9 months and have plenty left and I use it almost every day. It controls shine very wells and I need to use very little. I dislike how hard it can be to get the powder out. Can take a little work.