October 31, 2014 | 1372 users online

Powder - Tarte - Smooth Operator Micronized Clay Finishing Powder

rated 5 of 5 on 8/16/2012 6:03:00 PM More reviews by salvedeigenetrix

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

I got a sample size jar of this in my Sephora VIB 500 points little gift. I love it; its' the best finishing powder I've found and I'll purchase the full size version. It's very finally milled, sets make up quite well and gives a nice finish. Plus, I have very oily skin and this kept my make up looking fresh throughout the day. I did not need to touch up. Definitely worth it, IMO.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/13/2012 1:45:00 AM More reviews by evesinkiewicz

This finishing powder makes my foundation look awesome! I don't know how it works--I just know that it does! It gives this smooth appearance and prevents my makeup from sliding and separating when the oil starts to come through. It's a great final touch and helps me look totally flawless!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/25/2012 4:37:00 PM More reviews by planetnars

This powder is comfortable even during winter months when my skin is dry rather than oily. It is long lasting and you don't need much to set your entire face. It is not shimmery but it seems to give almost a satin finish when I wear it. Everything looks smooth and I much prefer it over the make up for ever silica powder. The packaging isn't the nicest but it is not terrible and product performance is great.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/8/2012 2:30:00 PM More reviews by cowzipper

I've used this product for over a year and I really like it. I mainly use it as a finishing powder. I like that it doesn't change the appearance of my makeup when I apply it. It instantly mattifies my face which is especially nice when it's hot and humid outside. It does not seem to minimize the appearance of pores, but then there's not a single product I've tried that actually does. I dislike the packaging though. I wish they would change it to the closable sifter jar that's often found in mineral makeup. The little hole in the middle takes forever to get the product out. It lasts a long time though. One jar lasted about a year for me with frequent use.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/3/2012 12:42:00 AM More reviews by funyun

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

This is the best finishing powder I have purchased for my oily skin. When I don't use this I definitely get shinier faster. Yes, you will still get shiny after a few hours but I find that this seems to slow down the oil production a bit. I blot before I use this powder and it seems to last longer. At first I was debating if I should get Mufe HD powder, but learning about the white cast stories I decided to get this instead and it photographs very nice over my Mufe HD foundation. Despite the price I will repurchase because I have not come across a better finishing powder for my oily skin.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/17/2012 11:00:00 PM More reviews by saffronia

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

My MUFE HD powder was becoming too drying for me so I tried this...this was drying too yet my oilier areas came through more quickly than I would have thought (as this got decent reviews on Sephora for oilier skins). Also, this powder did not have the finish I liked that I got with MUFE HD just like the prior reviewer mentioned. Going to keep on looking for a finishing powder that is not overly drying, will keep my shine at bay, and gives that nice 'soft-focus' look.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/16/2012 8:03:00 AM More reviews by NYCBeauty99

I'm really disappointed that I bought this porduct. It gets such great reviews here and on Sephora.com. I've been using MUFE HD powder for about a year. I decided to try something different. This does not control oil as well as the HD. It also doesn't give the soft focus effect that the HD does. Overall, I'm very disappointed. It would return it, but I threw out the box. So I'll use it up, but then I'll go right back to the HD.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/11/2012 10:13:00 PM More reviews by meilove

I loveee this. HG! I've tried to many products for my oily t-zone [esp my nose]. I got this as a gratis from my job at Ulta and tried it. OMG it's amazing. Although the oil will show through after a few hours, it never looks oily. It just gives my face a "glow". Who knew it could make oil look that good. I'm still using my sample version and cringe at the price of the original size but I WILL buy again and again because it's that good. Also wish that there were more than 2 holes for the product to come out. LOVE THIS PRODUCT!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/30/2012 6:44:00 PM More reviews by AndreaJunelle

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I really love this powder! I am almost 30yrs old w/fair &oily (and sometimes acne prone) skin. Having oily skin I think I've tried EVERY powder & this certainly ranks up there as one of the best. I use this to set my makeup almost every day. If your skin is super oily like mine, don't expect this to keep oil at bay all day long - (at this point I've realized that there's NO such miracle product out there) - but this does a good job trying & seems like I can apply, apply & REapply some more w/out it ever looking cakey. I use either ELF's Mini Kabuki Brush or ELF's Flat Top Powder Brush to apply. Only objection w/this is the packaging (as others have mentioned...) The first time I opened it I spilled half of the powder out on my bathroom floor :( (and I wasn't being careless! was actually trying to b careful w/it!) The two holes in the sifter were not enough for me to get my desired amount out, so I wanted to carefully pop the sifter out and decant the powder into a better container that I already had.. Since there seem to be so many complaints regarding the packaging I know that I personally be happy to pay a few more dollars for this if Tarte would maybe try the "sift & lock" kinda thingy that Bare Minerals/Essentials has on their loose products. Regardless, it's a nice setting powder that helps control my oily skin and doesn't cause my finicky skin to break out :)
UPDATE - 4/7/13
This had gotten shuffled down to the bottom of my makeup stash for the past 6 months or so and I forgot I had it until last week. Several months ago I started using MakeUpForever's HD Silica Powder & fell in love. AFTER paying full price I realized that MUFE's HD powder is simply 100% silica. Did a little digging to find that Coastal Scents, TKB Trading, & NYX all produce pure silica powders as well for a fraction of what MUFE charges. I'm on the verge of being out of all of my MUFE HD powder and told myself that I was going to use up another powder that I already own before letting myself purchase one of the above silica powders. Having very oily skin I have MANY setting powders. Another that I reach for quite often is NYC Smooth Skin Loose. I've been rotating NYC Smooth Skin loose with this for the past few days. I have to be careful how much of this I apply because it'll start to make my face look dull if I go overboard. Luckily I'm quite pale so I don't ever notice a white-ish cast or anything like that (which other reviewers have mentioned) - I'd be around N10 in MAC. But I definitely can get that "dull" look if I'm not careful. To avoid this I mix a little liquid highlighter in with my foundation on days I plan on wearing this powder and it battles the problem well (specifically using either MAC Strobe Cream, NYC Smooth Skin Primer, L'Oreal Magic Lumi Primer, or Rimmel Wake Me Up Liquid Luminizer shade 001). Overall, this is still a really nice setting powder, ideal for oily skin but doesn't cause or accentuate any dry patches or flakes that all skintypes can get from time to time so I can see other skin types enjoying this as well.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/27/2012 5:04:00 PM More reviews by Shuper

I'm pretty oily so I needed something to take away the shine. However this would usually fade in a couple hours.

the packaging is also very hard to use.