Tarte Amazonian Clay Waterproof Liner with Double-Ended Brush

3.6

Dimethicone, Cyclopentasiloxane, Polyethylene, Isododecane, Polybutene, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, VP/ Exadecane Copolymer, Ozokerite, Candelilla Cera, Silica, Kaolin, Ethylhexylglycerin, Phenoxyethanol. ( /-): Mica, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Ferric Ferrocyanide (CI 77510), Carmine (CI 75470).

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

I recently bought quite a few high priced items (or at least higher than what I am used to) and have not been overly impressed with them. This is one of those items (along with MAC Fluidlines). For the price I paid for this eyeliner, I would expect the application and pigmentation to be much better. Drugstore gel eyeliners have better pigmentation than these eyeliners and I do not like to apply layers of eyeliner. When I try to apply this, it also balls up and does not apply smoothly. Its such a pain in the butt and takes me forever to apply it, especially to my waterline, and I am not that patient in the morning! The only good thing I can say about it is it does have decent staying power on the upper lashline; it faded after 6 hours but it didnt flake or anything.

I do not know about how quickly it will dry up, but it already has a pretty dry consistency so I imagine it'd dry out fast. I do not think it'll matter too much to me because I doubt I will be reaching for this....shame I cannot return it.

on 7/16/2011 3:45:00 PM

I really like this liner. I tried the maybelline gel liner in black and it started to get gray after a while and was a mess. I tried this in the plum shade and i really liked it but not the color so I got it in black, the formula was less thick, harder to work with, and the brush wasn't as stiff. I like this but I wish they would go back to the old formula.

on 7/3/2011 4:58:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I am not a gel eyeliner fan to begin with, but I will say, Tarte's waterproof gel liner lives up to its claim of staying put. I was able to line, including inner rim, and it didn't budge until I used a biphase eye makeup remover. (Clinique.) Having said that, this color, Shimmering Black Night, is black with some glitter, and the glitter is kind of piecey. I think that is weird and a bad idea. I can see metallic shimmer in a liner, but glitter pieces unless thick and heavy for theatrical effect are dumb, in my book. I would use the non-glitter colors of this liner. It is not easy to get this on because as you brush it over the lid, the very characteristic that makes it stay put makes it stay put if you put it in the wrong place. It does brush out with a smudger to some degree, but I found it harder to line with this. Still, if you have oily lids or sweat or are outside, this liner will stay put.

on 6/18/2011 1:39:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Neutral

k so THIS IS WATERPROOF, at least for me. i wore a thick winged line on my upper lash line to swim in my pool. i literally put my head underwater a bunch of times and this did not smudge,smear or anything. the pigmentation was faded a bit--it wasnt as black as it started--but the shape was still there,i had no raccoon eyes! this is definitely my go-to liner for the summer on the east coast!!easy application,truly waterproof,creamy and pigmented :]

on 6/15/2011 5:07:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I had a nasty reaction to a product with parabens so I decided to switch to paraben free products. The rep at sephora recommend this eye liner. I have to say that I am very pleased with it. The black is highly pigmented and it came with the brush. The product easy to apply and lasts all day. A little goes a long way and the jar will last a long time. Well worth the price!

on 6/10/2011 10:06:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Pigmented, sets as well as some of the better cream/ gel liners I've used and goes on smoothly. All around a good gel liner. I love the brush it came with. Personally it's been a dream to apply the liner using it. I can do the cat eye/ wings with ease. I'm happy with this purchase.

on 5/29/2011 11:23:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I wanted to like this, I really did. The black was super pigmented, the dry time was pretty average to other gel liners of its ilk.

But I really have a problem with brands claiming that something is "waterproof" and clearly never field testing prior to its release to ensure that the product is what it claims. Did anyone at the company actually check to see how this liner holds up UNDER WATER?

I put a good amount on my hand, let it dry and spritzed my hand with water. This definately was not waterproof and in fact, started to crack and peel off my hand easily. When compared to other gel liners (Stila, Napoleon Perdis, Smashbox, etc), when I did the water test with those, even after spritzing my hand heavily with water and rubbing at it, those would not budge. So the Tarte ones for sure fall short in the performance aspect.

And trust me when I say, I have field tested a LOT of so-called waterproof eye products when I was preparing for an underwater photoshoot I was working on. And there is no way I would ever buy these to use as they would probably disinegrate and flake off the minute water hits it.

And yes, I do realize that the average person is not going to be wearing makeup under water, but there ARE a lot of women who DO wear some eye makeup while on vacation, while at the pool, at the gym or just someone like me that NEEDS waterproof eye products because I have to put in eye drops 4 times a day because of dry eye. And since it disinegrated so much with just a little water spritzed onto it, forget wearing this on the waterline.

Totally disappointing.

on 5/28/2011 4:20:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Cool

I really like this! I have it in Black and it's super pigmented. I like the fact that I don't have to keep going over the line I've applied. It also wears really well on my waterline; it's the longest lasting eyeliner I've ever used. That being said, it's actually quite easy to remove with makeup remover. As far as using it as a shadow, it's hard to apply all over your lid smoothly if you use your fingers. However, if you use a cream shadow brush, it goes on super creamy and nice.

on 5/27/2011 2:16:00 AM

This is the best eyeliner I've ever used--it goes on so smoothly. I have brown and blackened plum. The brown is so natural looking, but beautifully emphasizes my eyes. The reason I only gave it a 4 is that after about a year it did dry out. When I first got it, it worked so well I felt like a makeup artist--it was so effortless to achieve outstanding results. I think if you live in a humid environment it stays moist quite a long time. I would definitely recommend it, it wears like iron.

on 5/25/2011 9:04:00 AM

I got this as part of a set at Sephora and absolutely LOVE it! It is easy to apply and lasts all day. I love that I don't have to worry about retouching my eyeliner half way through the day. It doesn't smudge at all and I have very oily skin. I have the black but definitely want to try the rest. I use to only use pencils but I am converted to cream liners because of this. Give it a try, you will love it!