September 2, 2014 | 1405 users online

Eyeliner - Tarte - EmphasEYES waterproof clay eye shadow & liner

rated 5 of 5 on 6/15/2011 5:07:00 PM More reviews by chrissie99

I had a nasty reaction to a product with parabens so I decided to switch to paraben free products. The rep at sephora recommend this eye liner. I have to say that I am very pleased with it. The black is highly pigmented and it came with the brush. The product easy to apply and lasts all day. A little goes a long way and the jar will last a long time. Well worth the price!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/10/2011 10:06:00 PM More reviews by ryden_gorey

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Pigmented, sets as well as some of the better cream/ gel liners I've used and goes on smoothly. All around a good gel liner. I love the brush it came with. Personally it's been a dream to apply the liner using it. I can do the cat eye/ wings with ease. I'm happy with this purchase.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/29/2011 11:23:00 PM More reviews by Girlfit

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I wanted to like this, I really did. The black was super pigmented, the dry time was pretty average to other gel liners of its ilk.

But I really have a problem with brands claiming that something is "waterproof" and clearly never field testing prior to its release to ensure that the product is what it claims. Did anyone at the company actually check to see how this liner holds up UNDER WATER?

I put a good amount on my hand, let it dry and spritzed my hand with water. This definately was not waterproof and in fact, started to crack and peel off my hand easily. When compared to other gel liners (Stila, Napoleon Perdis, Smashbox, etc), when I did the water test with those, even after spritzing my hand heavily with water and rubbing at it, those would not budge. So the Tarte ones for sure fall short in the performance aspect.

And trust me when I say, I have field tested a LOT of so-called waterproof eye products when I was preparing for an underwater photoshoot I was working on. And there is no way I would ever buy these to use as they would probably disinegrate and flake off the minute water hits it.

And yes, I do realize that the average person is not going to be wearing makeup under water, but there ARE a lot of women who DO wear some eye makeup while on vacation, while at the pool, at the gym or just someone like me that NEEDS waterproof eye products because I have to put in eye drops 4 times a day because of dry eye. And since it disinegrated so much with just a little water spritzed onto it, forget wearing this on the waterline.

Totally disappointing.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/28/2011 4:20:00 PM More reviews by smn93

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I really like this! I have it in Black and it's super pigmented. I like the fact that I don't have to keep going over the line I've applied. It also wears really well on my waterline; it's the longest lasting eyeliner I've ever used. That being said, it's actually quite easy to remove with makeup remover. As far as using it as a shadow, it's hard to apply all over your lid smoothly if you use your fingers. However, if you use a cream shadow brush, it goes on super creamy and nice.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/27/2011 2:16:00 AM More reviews by Fire

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This is the best eyeliner I've ever used--it goes on so smoothly. I have brown and blackened plum. The brown is so natural looking, but beautifully emphasizes my eyes. The reason I only gave it a 4 is that after about a year it did dry out. When I first got it, it worked so well I felt like a makeup artist--it was so effortless to achieve outstanding results. I think if you live in a humid environment it stays moist quite a long time. I would definitely recommend it, it wears like iron.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/25/2011 9:04:00 AM More reviews by jfb2009

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I got this as part of a set at Sephora and absolutely LOVE it! It is easy to apply and lasts all day. I love that I don't have to worry about retouching my eyeliner half way through the day. It doesn't smudge at all and I have very oily skin. I have the black but definitely want to try the rest. I use to only use pencils but I am converted to cream liners because of this. Give it a try, you will love it!

rated 4 of 5 on 5/17/2011 2:13:00 PM More reviews by lmousavi

NEVER leave the top off of the tub for more than a few hours, it will dry out & crack and you wont be able to really do much with it after that. But besides that, I like this product a lot. I got a set of three, with a brush as well. The clay is a great texture that stays on, even with my oily skin (I live in florida, so it gets hot as hell here and it stays put through the heat!) Def recommended & worth the price :)

rated 4 of 5 on 5/5/2011 1:25:00 PM More reviews by ohBetty

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I received the plum color liner as part of a Sephora Beauty-in-a-Box, Brown Smoky Eye Kit from Tarte. The color is a very beautiful, rich plum that looks terrific with my brown eyes. It's not a "oh, hey, that's a party purple" plum, but a good color to pop your eyes out for any kind of night or day look. I use a Smashbox cream liner brush (short, straight hard bristles), and apply in short, upward strokes starting from the eyelash base. With this method you get deep, rich color and solid application. From there you can smudge out. I wing mine. On top of Urban Decay Primer Potion, it stays put all day.

I've had this product for a month and so far the product still looks great with no signs of drying out. I keep the little white inner lid on it, which is probably helping with that.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/15/2011 5:55:00 PM More reviews by mneiai

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I bought this separately as Bronze and Blackened Plum and got Shimmering Black Night and Plum as part of two different kits. I really like this stuff. Goes on very easily, lasts forever (I did swatches on my arms and this took twice as long as all the other products to rub off with soap, also it and my waterproof mascara are the last things I can take off at the end of the day).

The only thing is you have to watch packaging size! The big looking ones actually have significantly less inside of them because they just have more glass (I'll make a side-to-side picture when I get the chance, it's really ridiculous). The "small" looking ones are 3.4g while the "big" looking ones are 2.5g.

Plum and Bronze are exactly as you would suspect. Shimming Black Night has very subtle shimmer that looks multi-colored. Blackened Plum goes on a shade or two off from black and also has very subtle shimmer.

I've had Bronze the longest and sometimes wear it as a shadow. It has yet to dry out, though maybe they've reformulated a bit in 2011 or maybe the humidity here helps (I'll edit if they dry out). If you're oily it takes a little longer to dry and you have to be careful not to open your eyes too wide for a few minutes, but once it's on and dry, you're good to go all day.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/9/2011 1:48:00 PM More reviews by lunalove

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I usually love gel eyeliners, stila smudge pots and mac fluidline being my favorites but I really wanted to try tarte's because it is natural and I liked the violet color.
I was so disappointed in the color payoff!! It is so sheer I have to use a black eyeliner (tokidoki felt tip pen) underneath to get it to show up decently! When I bought it, they were selling it with a double ended eyeliner brush at sephora...the product balls up on the thin brush and I have to really work to smooth it out so I dont have chunks of it unevenly on my lash line. :( I do love tarte most of the time, just not this eyeliner! It also felt very drying to me when I used it as a base on my lid, and I have oily lids.