October 22, 2014 | 972 users online

Treatments (Face) - Kiehl's - Midnight Recovery Concentrate

rated 5 of 5 on 8/17/2013 3:11:00 PM More reviews by fishyerica

I have combination skin. I used Kiehl's ultra facial cream many years ago and I wasn't impressed by how much excess oil it would leave on my face. I am in my late twenties and my skin is not as dewey as when I was a teen of course. I have breakouts occasionally, and they leave acne scars that would never go away. My pores were getting bigger, and very noticeable black heads white heads. i used gel moisturizer hoping that it would make my face less sticky and oily. also i avoided sunscreen moisturizer (which is bad!). but still my face usually gets oily in the middle of the day. i do facial masks more often (3 times a week), still it didn't do much effect on me in a long run.

About a year ago, I decided to spend extra money to keep my skin healthy. My friend is a huge fan of Kiehl's and recommends MRO (Midnight Recovery OIl) to me. Despite the price tag for a bottle of 30ml oil, I still try it on and see how good this would do to my skin. as told by the sales rep, if you are not satisfied by the product, you can always return it at Kiehl's store and get a full refund.

Like everyone says here about MRO, don't be skeptical if the oil will make your skin so oily and clog your pores. It won't! It absorbs right in after 5 mins.

No one teaches me how to apply this on my face, I just do the way that works. The way I apply is to put 2-3 drops on the tips of my index and middle fingers of left hand, then really really quickly warms it up by massaging it with your index and middle fingers of your right hand. watch out if you don't do it quick enough then the oil will slip through your fingers. after warming up the oil, massage the oil on your face and neck and forehead. You can slightly pat your face with your palms so that the oil sinks into your pores faster. :) Your hands also get the benefit of this oil too, right?! :) the key thing is, less is more. i tried putting 4, 5, 6 drops to see the differences. my face gets all oily the next morning if i put 5 drops or more. so don't get the impression that putting A LOT of MRO will do good. just put enough to cover your face and let the oil sink in before sleeping.

after using it for 1 months, my skin had a major change. first, my acne scars i had for 3-4 months were gone! even if i had a pimple and i put a little bit more of MRO on the spot, it healed within a week or two. the redness caused by pimple was gone. it's like MRO has similar effect of salicylic acid!! (i could be wrong). i use MRO instead of regular moisturizer at night during spring/summer time. if you use it in winter time, put MRO before putting extra moisturizer. 2nd, my face doesn't get oily in the middle of the day. it stays moisture without feeling greasy even though i put SPF 30 daily moisturizer in the morning.

I have been using it for a year now, my skin condition definitely has improved. my pores are smaller (well, let's just say it's harder to squeeze a whitehead out by fingers now, i have to use a needle to clean it up, not fun!). a friend of mine hasn't seen me for a year and recently said that my skin looks dewy as in healthier and brighter without excess oil. i also change my daily routine of facial care after using this product. i stopped using strong cleansing product that makes my skin dry. before using MRO, i feel like Cetaphil daily cleanser doesn't clean the oil on my face... but then i realize that my pores were so big the Cetaphil couldn't clean out all the oil off my face. since my pores are smaller and retains the good amount of oil in my face, it is good to use Cetaphil without feeling all dry and tight.

most of the ingredient of MRO are extracted from plants. i really like how natural it is to use plant-based products (ie: most of them are flower seed oil extracts), and they are very powerful and do the job to make your skin feel stronger. though one bad thing, i hate the design of the droplet. i can't get the last bit of oil out of the bottle, i have to use a Pasteur pipet (i work in a lab, so... ) to aspirate it out.

i also exercise 3-4 times a day now. i think that might have helped my skin to regenerate faster as well. St. Ives apricot facial scrub once or twice a week to get rid of dead skin. facial mask once a week.

my morning routine: washing face with cetaphil, use Kiehl's Calendula herbal-extract toner ($32 for 250ml, quite expensive), Kiehl's avocado eye cream (i have been getting sample packs so i haven't spent any money to buy the whole jar :D) then finish with H2O+ Sea Result line resolution SPF30 broad spectrum ($15 for 30ml) OR cetaphil SPF 15 broad spectrum daily moisturizer ($12).

my night routine: washing face with cetaphil, calendula toner, avocado eye cream and MRO ($46 30ml) lastly. these products last for a good period of time 6-9 months at least.

my conclusion:
i would recommend this product if you are longing for a change of your skin condition. it's worth your money and save you money for buying all the products that your skin doesn't need.

i would go for bigger sizes for Kiehl's product (MRO, toner), good to stock up when Kiehl's offers discount ($30 off during last x'mas! or 20% off during mid year) ask for different samples or just get bunch of smaller packs of MRO and eye cream! hahah! i hope this helps.

8 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 8/17/2013 9:12:00 AM More reviews by sleepeystar

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Black

I have combination skin, but there are days when my skin needs that extra boost of TLC from the crazy air conditioning in tropical Singapore. For a few nights in a month, I add 4 drops of this into my moisturizer and massage the concoction into my skin. It doesn't break me out as I don't use it that often and it relaxes me whenever I use it. It costs about S$98 but it is worth it, it is not that greasy and it is simple to use. I recommend those with dry skin to get this. It comes in only one size in Singapore but in Hong Kong DFS, I think they come in 2 sizes and it is significantly cheaper, so do check out Kiehl's there.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/3/2013 7:49:00 AM More reviews by paperdoll51

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I was given a sample of this when I bought Kiehl's Midnight Recovery Eye cream. At the time I was already using Josie Maran's Argan Oil as a daily and nightly moisturizer, so I was a little skeptical about trying another oil-based night product.

I was very impressed when I did get around to trying the sample though. I only needed to use 2 drops, as the Kiehl's sales assistant instructed, and my skin just soaked it all in. I didn't feel like my face was too oily after I applied it (unlike the argan oil, which sometimes leaves my face a bit too slick), it smells lovely, and I really think it makes my skin seem more dewy and glowing (both at night, after I apply it, and also the next morning!).

I eventually bought the full sized product and now use it every night on my face and neck. Big points for the packaging too - it's really easy to gauge how many drops you'll need, so I can see this lasting a long time.

I didn't give it five lippies because with moisturizers/lotions/oils what's really important to me are the long-term effects - and it's a bit too early to tell what those are. But four lippies for now - and would buy again!

rated 4 of 5 on 6/25/2013 8:56:00 AM More reviews by Rebeccaxx24

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I'm still a bit unsure on this product after over 3 months of use every night. The good points though - Firstly although it seems expensive it will last you a long long time I'm about a quarter through after using for just over 3 months. It does moisturize and replenish the skin over night and hasn't irritated my skin which is great and although my skin is oily it has actually helped with the oil levels.

What I'm unsure on - this product is known to help people with uneven skin tone and acne scars (although kiehls dont make those claims themselves) and it hasn't actually made a difference to my skin tone or scars which I'm a little disappointed on.

However, if this product lasts me as long as I think it will I would say it is worth the money for the other benefits it gives me. It would be cheaper in the long term than buying jars of night cream every few months.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/23/2013 10:51:00 AM More reviews by Xaviera01

I love this so much! Bought it after much consideration because of the steep price, but I don't regret a single bit! It evens out my skin tone and my face has a healthy glow even without make up! I love it and will purchase it again :) the price is steep but it can last for a very long time because you only use about 2-3 drops at a time.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/22/2013 4:09:00 AM More reviews by Lawlz24

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I bought the Concentrate kinda on a whim and I absolutely love this! I've been using 3 drops for a month every night and from the very first week I started using I could see results.
I've always had pretty meh skin but now every morning, my skin feels incredibly soft and velvety. I was a bit worried of break outs but so far so good. I'm very surprised at how much my skin has improved (dare I say I have NICE skin now?) and I'll definitely keep buying this.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/16/2013 9:23:00 PM More reviews by waters2

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This product is a mix of oisl and i was expecting a serum. It feels light for an oil mixture, but it's greasy nonetheless. I noticed no improvement on my skin, and over time, the product gave me cystic bumps and dried up the my skin.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/16/2013 9:03:00 PM More reviews by Cocteautwin75

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I like this product. It's very light, non greasy and doesn't smell bad. I have a few small bottles I need to use up.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/8/2013 More reviews by sullyPDX

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

While Kiehl's skincare (face) can be hit or miss, this product is a home run. I was nervous about the fact that it has an oil base, as I have combination skin. Frankly, any new product I try makes me paranoid about breaking out. I've been using this serum for just over a month now, and can't imagine going to sleep without it!

It's quite thin in texture, so I take the dropper and apply directly to my face so I won't waste any product. A little goes a long way, and 2-3 drops is enough for my face and neck. I barely need to use any moisturizer at night now, which saves me a ton of money (I use La Mer). I awake with glowing, fresh skin. I've noticed a drastic reduction in the appearance of fine lines, and my skin texture feels incredible. A product that actually does what it says?! I'd pay double.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/25/2013 9:06:00 PM More reviews by WintHD

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I started using this product last year after randomly going to a Kiehl's store and looking for nothing in particular. The salesperson recommended it, and said it was one of their top selling products. I never used an oil based moisturizer due to my combo skin, and don't really have a concern with wrinkles....yet:) This serum is pretty pricey, so I was hesitant to purchase it at first, but let me tell you, I am SO glad I did! This is one of the best moisturizers I have ever used with the most dramatic overnight results. My skin absolutely glows like I just got a facial every morning. I use 5 drops of the serum (they recommend 3) on my wet face after cleansing and toning. I will steam my face with a hot wash cloth for about 30 seconds to open my pores before I use this serum. That seems to really help it absorb deep into my skin. Ever since I've followed this routine I have suffered no breakouts (only an occasional hormonal pimple). My makeup also goes on very smoothly, and I use much less foundation since my skin is so clear now. This product works great for the young, old, and all skin types. I feel very lucky to have found this before my skin starts showing the signs of aging. It's a wonderful addition to any anti-aging skin care regimen.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No