NARS Semi-Matte in Heat Wave

4.6

I LOVE Heat Wave. It's a very bright, intense orange-red color that really pops against my pale, PPP skin. I am a little lighter than MAC NC15, and this color looks great with just some mascara, nude shimmer eyeshadow and a barely perceptible pink cheek. It brings out the rosey tones in my skin somehow, and makes me look flushed. So apply the blush very sparingly.
The color applies very matte on me, so I dab a bit of Aquaphor on top to make it a little more creamy and comfortable to wear. NARS really should work on their semi-matte formula, it's quite drying. On the plus side, it applies very precisely directly from the tube, and really stays put.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

A beautifully intense and bright orangey-red. I was looking for the lipstick equivalent of Exhibit A and I think I've found it in Heat Wave. On my lips it's extremely loud and bright. I will say though that I think it'd look fabulous with most colourings. So far I have worn it with Exhibit A, Taj Mahal and Everyday Minerals Siesta (dc) with great results. It has awesome staying power and it looks great both as a stain blotted onto my lips or applied normally. However, you really have to have patience with it due to the dryness of the formula. Maybe it's designed that way so it has staying power, I don't know, but regardless of whether I wear lip balm, the lipstick just dries my lips out. I don't have the patience these days to be blotting and so forth (I originally reviewed this some time ago - it's now September 2009). I want to swipe and go. I can do that with my MAC lippies and I own some MAC lippies that are similar to Heat Wave. Sadly I won't buy again and have given this away. :|

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This is my "summer" red. I really love this colour, but I recommend "dabbing" it in with a finger to give it the stained look. Great staying power.

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

I am in the "old Hollywood" style at the moment and this is the perfect daytime red for work. It is not as loud as Red Lizard and more orangey coral. It looks fab on my olive toned skin and brightens up the whole look.

his is my al time fave lipstick. it's lasts for so long and the colour is so bright and fun. def buy if you're not scared of colour!

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

The most beautiful red that I own. I've been looking for a good retro red. Not one of those "wearable" reds people wax poetic about, but something super bright and with a vintage feel. Nars Red Lizard was too dark (it's very like MAC Russian Red), MAC Ruby Woo too dry and matte (dull texture!), MAC Powerhouse not matte enough. Nars Heatwave is perfect. Vivid, orange-red, which on me (PPP, Brunette) looks very 1950s. Love it.

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

Gorgeous vibrant coral-red! Heat Wave is about 80% true red, and 20% orange. The two blend together to create a bright, vibrant coral-red color. At least on MY fairly pigmented lips. I am light PPP, and when I pair Heat Wave with NARS Exhibit A blush (applied very lightly) and nude eyeshadow (NARS All About Eve duo) and soft black eyeliner/mascara ..... the look is gorgeous! Powerful, vibrant and beautiful! 5 lippies! :)

Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure

Price - $23.00 USD

This is by far one of my all time favorite lipsticks. I am a huge red lipstick fan and when I saw Heatwave, I knew it had to be mine. Heatwave is an intense bright orange red. It's semi-matte, so it's a tad drier than most lipsticks, but the staying power is wonderful.

Heatwave is reminiscent of 40's starlet style. It's a very glamourous shade without being too overwhelming.

I am a pale (NW10) redhead and this color brightens up my face and adds a touch of vintage Hollywood style. continued >>

Wow! This is my favorite lipstick. EVER. Hands down. I have tried to wear so many different colors, textures, etc. of lipstick so many times that I soon just gave up and relied on dolling up my eyes. This lipstick, however COMPLETELY changed my mindset about lipsticks- Nars lipsticks at least :)! The semi- matte texture is just perfect for my lips. They are very full and if the texture was very glossy it would make me look like a circus freak! The matte feel and beautiful red color look amazing on my skin, tan or white, and make me feel sophisticated, refined, old- worldly and even a little bit sexy. When I wear this, I leave my lids bare but put almost- cat- eye like eyeliner and a lot of mascara along with the Nars Gina Blush to make my whole face glow and make me feel like a 1950's sex kitten!

This color is AWFUL on me. Once applied it looks like neon orange with barely any trace of red. I love everything about this lipstick except the color. I love the semi-matte texture (which leaves a stain on my lips) & I love that there's no scent. But the color is just horrid on me. I will not repurchase.

Recommended for Medium Skin