December 19, 2014 | 902 users online

Foundations - Lucy Minerals Foundation

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/22/2012 9:53:00 PM More reviews by admilly101

Overall Rating: 4/5
SKIN BACKGROUND: Oily, acne prone, SUPER sensitive, mild scarring and discoloration, NW20-25ish.
PRICE: $15 plus shipping, which is VERY cheap and VERY fast!!!
COVERAGE:This is definitely a high medium coverage foundation, which is hard to come by with powder foundations. As many others have said, do NOT pack a whole bunch on your face! Or it will crease and cake!
FINISH: The trick with this powder is to let it melt into your skin first. Once it has sort of melted with your moisturizer, it looks luminous and very natural, but still maintains a polished look. I highly recommend wearing moisturizer underneath this, because it gives the makeup something to sort of stick onto!
TEXTURE: The consistency is quite creamy for a powder, which is great because it prevents it from flying all over the place like other powders (cough-bare minerals-cough).
SCENT: I didn't notice any scent.
SPF: None
LASTING POWER: I got this in the OCS formula, because I had previously tried the OCC formula, and that just didn't work on my skin. But the OCS formula actually lasted QUITE some time! I put it on at 7:00AM and it was still there when I took it off at 11:00PM. That's pretty flipping fantastic!
SHADES: I always have a hard time picking shades. I would say I have sort of beigey skin, with prominent yellow undertones. I previously tried the shades Light and Cream, which were ghostly on me. But after reading some reviews and looking at some swatches I decided the shade Shell Beige was the best fit, and I am so glad I was right! It is a perfect match for me! AND this brand offers such a fantastic range of shades. And guess what? You order sample and mix them together to create a perfect custom blend for your skin, and they will make it for you! Talk about amazing customer service.
DID THIS BREAK ME OUT?: Nope!
PACKAGING: I liked the old packaging a bit better (the jar was larger, but you still receive a full 10 grams), but it's still cute.
WOULD I REPURCHASE?: Already planning on it :)
FINAL VERDICT: This may have just replaced my old fav foundation, CG Natureluxe....

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/20/2012 1:51:00 PM More reviews by Boodababe

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Grey, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have bad Roscea with frequent break outs. I had been using MAC Studio Tech but it was becoming too dry for my skin. I love this foundation! It's easy to apply and provides more coverage than the MAC. Starts as a powder than transitions to a glowy finish. It even stays on when I do my above pool water exercises. And you get freebies with your order. The shipping was super fast. Nice to support a smaller woman owned business.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/14/2012 2:35:00 PM More reviews by Reservechic

I have sensitive, combination-to-oily skin. I am always very cautious about buying new makeup. However, I decided to buy from Lucy Minerals based on the wonderful reviews that it has here. And, I am so glad that I did, I really do like this line a whole lot!!!

I have a true medium skintone, with pinky-to-sometimes peachy undertones. My foundation shade in Lucy Minerals was custom blended for me. I received a 50/50 blend of Golden Medium and Soft Beige (in the OCS formulas). And, it does provide me with a near perfect match for my skintone (not 100% though).

The coverage that this foundation provides on its own is what I would consider to be light-to-medium buildable coverage. For anyone that needs fuller coverage, the use of a concealer underneath would probably be necessary. However, I am totally fine with the coverage that this foundation does provide my face with all on its own.

When it comes to oil control, this foundation plus their OCS Finishing Powder works wonders at keeping my face from getting shiny throughout the day! And, that to me is a huge plus!

This foundation has not caused me to breakout. Also, it has not irritated my skin in any way either. It's made up of lots of great ingredients in it that are helping my face to look it's best everytime I wear it. And, because of that, I simply can't help but praise Lucy Minerals more and more!!!

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/11/2012 2:59:00 AM More reviews by Joyc25

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I think I may have found an HG! The coverage is unbelievable and I am used to using EM pressed minerals which is pretty full coverage... But this is beyond full coverage ! The other reviews weren't joking when they said you only need a dab to cover everything! It covers my freckles so well in one very light layer! Better than anything I've tried! Best of all, this is a rare foundation that doesn't cling on my flakies !!! I can't wear any liquid foundation because they all accentuate my dryness ... I am NC15 now and Pale olive is pretty close but a tad too olive for me... Still experimenting with the shades with their generous samples...oh and the ingredients are amazing too!. I urge you to give this a try!

rated 4 of 5 on 8/12/2012 2:42:00 PM More reviews by grak

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I am happy with this product for a few reasons: it has a good finish on me (matte but not chalky and flat), it stays put very well (on oily skin - I do have to blot or smooth some places as the day goes along), it covers everything and I can even use it as a concealer, and the color tone is good. I ended up liking Bisque the best, although I can get away with Light Medium (just a hint orange on me). I tried the regular formula, and both types of oil control formulas. They all seem to be fine for me, and I don't really see a huge difference of have a distinct preference.

I like that they have incorporated good ingredients, and I like supporting small businesses that are working hard to get out good products.

I have been using this as concealer with my tiny brush, even when I use liquid foundation.

This regular formula does have the one drawback of being cakey. I apply with a flat-topped brush and it goes on well, but seems to gather in certain spots more than others. What I do after that to cut back the cakiness is take a sponge and blend it off until it looks natural to me. I have a long ways to go to use up the samples that I bought, and at that point I look forward to trying the light foundation formula in hopes that it will still be good finish and coverage but less cakey.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/1/2012 8:36:00 PM More reviews by thor7262

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

After trying a lot of samples of Lucy Minerals regular formula and many other brands of mineral makeup, I can honestly say that I love this brand the most. I am nearing 50, and my skin hasn't gotten any easier to deal with over the years. It still breaks out occasionally, and still can become quite oily when the weather is humid, but also now has some wrinkles to deal with. So the fun (not) with trying to find the perfect makeup hasn't improved with age, until now.

I love Mac Face and Body as far as finishes go, but sometimes it can seem too heavy for the hot, humid summer, and some of the ingredients are likely not very skin friendly. This is where Lucy Minerals are perfect. If applied properly and sparingly, it gives a beautiful finish that lasts all through my work day and into the evening. It can even withstand my HIIT and weight lifting workouts, which is kind of amazing.

To apply, I start by using concealer wherever needed, then a very thin layer of Mac Set Powder. Then starting with a very tiny amount of mineral powder, I stipple it on with an E.L.F. powder brush. The finish is flawless. It' s mostly matte but not in a dried out way, and wrinkles and flaws are also muted.

I use Creamy Bisque in Lucy's and for comparison, C2 in Mac F&B. Sometimes if my neck and chest looks a bit darker than my face, I'll add a little Golden Medium to go a shade darker.

I ordered a Lucy's kit for my daughter, who loved the samples I gave her. She has concerns with breakouts, but hasn't had any issues so far. Both of us are getting the oil control finishing powder with calcium carbonate, so I'll update after trying it with the minerals.

For the amount you get, the price is excellent. If you like minerals, but haven't had much luck with some of the other brands, you really should give Lucy's a try. Just remember to start off using a VERY light hand to avoid any caking. I think one of my favorite things about Lucy Minerals is that they are so good for your skin. It helps too that the owner, Annie, really cares about her customers.

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 8/1/2012 4:27:00 PM More reviews by therubyprincess

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I wanted to love this product -- all the great reviews made me think this would be my HG product. I have very, very oily, acne-prone, scarred skin. First, finding a match was really rough; I bought so many samples hoping to find a keeper, disregarding the fact that the products (both OCC and OCS) imparted a nasty, greasy, glossing glow after about 50 minutes of wear, and that was with primer and setting powder. I am not well versed in minerals I just know that for a person with oily skin, a foundation that sets with a glow is a definite no-go. I looked horrible which is a shame because the coverage is fantastic, if you can find an appropriate color match. I gave the company 2 lippies because I love their CS and the Ambrosia serum is terrif. In general very disappointed. Just goes to prove YMMV.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/25/2012 11:53:00 AM More reviews by taralynn36

Hands down the best foundation I've ever used. I like it much better than MAC Studio Fix powder and Everyday Minerals Semi-Matte. I used N5 & Winged Butter respectively of the previous too and use Creamy Bisque in this line. Now that it's summer and I am a bit darker, I'll try to go up a notch as it's a little light. I use this over Skin79 Gold BB cream and my skin looks flawless. I use both OCC in the foundation and finishing powder (with the Ecotools Bamboo Bronzer brush) and spritz with homemade setting spray. What makes me love this over the other 2 powders was when I was working, I would have to blot after lunch and at the end of the school day I was really oily. With this I don't blot at all. I don't need too. It does a fantastic job keeping my skin looking fresh. I'm so happy with this company that I switched over to their blushes and use their mineral liners which are fantastic. I'm not crazy about the eyeshadows though. I found them hard to blend.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/16/2012 12:19:00 PM More reviews by aladie

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I love this foundation! I first discovered this product here on MUA and it only had 8 or so reviews. Now there are almost 200 so I am glad that this product has been discovered by so many people. I am putting the word out- this is HG for me. I have crazy-sensitive breakout prone skin that reacts to everything. I have been using Bare Minerals for about 6 years and now I realize that was what was causing me problems. I determined I am sensitive to the bismuth oxychloride. With Bare Minerals I would get little clusters of clogged pores in small patches. For years my skin wasn't horrible but it never really looked good with all of the clogged pores. I experimented with switching out my cleansers, night cream etc. in hopes of finding the culprit. I ordered samples of this foundation and sat on it for about 4 months before trying it out because I was afraid it would break me
out even more. When I finally tried it my skin was instantly better. It wears beautifully if you are careful not to apply too much. My skin is looking so good now it is a miracle. I have no new clogged pores and the ones I had are disappearing. I have been using this for about a month now and my only regret is that I didn't try it sooner! I use Cream in the Lucy Light formula, I was using Golden Fair in Bare Minerals. Good Luck and thank you MUAers for turining me on to this amazing product!

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/13/2012 10:05:00 PM More reviews by cdurbin88

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have always had problem skin and was always trying to solve it with different cleansers. I ended on PCA Skincare but still got breakouts just not as bad. I never really gave much thought to the makeup making much of a difference. I changed makeup a couple different times between bare minerals, neutregena skin clearing and a couple more I can't remember...and never saw a difference so really just didn't think it had any bearing. Well I had gotten fet up with the acne scars and marks and was looking for something new to try that would give good coverage and not be too bad for my skin. Well I found Lucy Minerals on MakeupAlley and because it was highly rated I thought I'd give it a try and it has really changed my skin! I am just in LOVE with this stuff. I use the oil control (OCC). I couldn't tell you if it's the makeup, the ambrosia serum or exfoliating more or just all 3 but WOW. My acne is gone and my skin is just so much healthier and smoother. My sister couldn't stop telling me on a couple difference occasions how great my skin looked. If you have problem skin, please just give it a try and remember to moisturize and use the serum! Makes a huge difference! Love love love it!!!!

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No