October 25, 2014 | 1893 users online

Skincare - Face - Turmeric Mask

rated 5 of 5 on 5/14/2013 12:25:00 AM More reviews by flowgrl

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

Wow, after watching an Indian youtuber demonstrating her turmeric mask, I had to try it for myself. I've been using turmeric on my skin everyday for the past 8 days and I have seen so much improvement.

I have acne-prone, flakey but oily skin at the same time. I've been battling acne since the start of puberty, and after being on birth control for a year to control my acne, I decided to go off it for health reasons. Then the acne came rushing back, much to my dismay.

During these past 8 days, I also ditched my face wash and moisturizer, and instead opted for simply rinsing my face with water and wiping with cotton balls. The turmeric is anti-bacterial and cleans my face without having to use a commercial and over-manufactured product. I also cut down on my meat consumption.

All the existing acne I had stopped in its tracks, and my acne scars are fading gradually. I can actually see the positive difference in my skin texture: it's less oily and flakey, more even and smooth. One night a painful pimple emerged right above my lip, I dabbed some turmeric mask on it, and the next morning it had completely backed down to a faded pink dot.

The mask I use is made with turmeric powder, extra virgin olive oil, honey, and sometimes corn flour. It can also double as a gentle scrub. I love that all the ingredients are natural, and you know exactly what you're putting on your skin. The first time I made the mask, I used soy milk which gave me a huge breakout, so I would avoid that.
I apply it at night and leave it on for about an hour. I then rinse my face, and usually any residue is gone by the next morning's face rinse (make sure you sleep on a pillowcase you don't mind getting yellow). I also heard you can put greek yogurt in your mask to avoid the staining, but I haven't tried that yet.

I also started drinking turmeric tea three days ago (you can look up recipes for this).

Overall, I would recommend any person with acne-prone skin to give turmeric a try. My first true holy grail beauty item! Nothing else has worked as well as this, and for so cheap and available at every grocery store!

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 5/12/2013 12:13:00 AM More reviews by jicky0

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

My husband has had swelling and pain from old knee injuries/surgeries for many years. Once he started taking turmeric every day, his pain has subsided and he doesn't need as much ibuprofen type of medication, except on days when he exercises heavily or works hard outside, mowing, up and down the ladder, etc. His doctor suggested trying it as a supplement and it's been great for him.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/12/2013 12:02:00 AM More reviews by americansoprano

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Truly amazing stuff!! I've had a recurring sebaceous cyst that I've had surgically removed twice, but kept coming back! I was beyond frustrated, and didn't want to have to go to the surgeon a third time. I dabbed a little tumeric mixed with water on it and the next day it was less than half it's size! I've continued to use this on the spot and it's nearly gone after a week. I couldn't be happier. I also have very sensitive acne rosacea skin which has been giving me a really hard time for the past year. I've tried so many things prescribed by my dermatologist; doxy, finacea, metrogel, ziana, remazid... I'm also on ortho-tricyclen. Nothing has worked better than the tumeric! I really am amazed. I've been doing a tumeric/ water mask a couple times a week, sprinkling it on my veggies, or taking a little "shot" of it in the morning. My skin is clearer than it's been in years, and actually is "glowy". Highly recommended.

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 5/3/2013 2:33:00 AM More reviews by runitsjess

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

After reading the reviews on MUA, I figured I would try this

I'm 22 with acne prone dry/sensitive skin, and got off my birth control recently and have been breaking out, in addition to already having uneven skin tone.

I love face masks, and I am always down to try natural alternate methods, so here was my recipe

I made a recipe of 1 tsp greek yogurt and 1/4 tsp tumeric 5 times in the last 10 days, I apply it every other night, leave it on for half an hour to an hour (until it dries) and then showered it off. It didn't leave my skin stained, but It wasn't doing anything positive for my skin either. It would really dry out my skin insanely and wasn't improving acne or skin tone or making me feel nice. Maybe I need to add flour or honey or take it off sooner? I will keep trying.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/2/2013 1:52:00 AM More reviews by Ditaa

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

This tumeric can really be found anywhere here in my country. I really had no idea it can give so much result to acnes. I try to mix it with plain youghrt (I got this recipee from the tubers) before applying it onto my face. There I make a natural mask for my acnes. At first, I couldn't see the outcome right after I rinsed it off (maybe because the measure of my mixture wasn't really helpful), but then I use this tumeric as often as I can and see it cures my growing acnes and help it reduce its size in no time. I still use my branded masks like usual, I just use it when I think I need it. In a nutshell, it will really help disinfect the bacteria that causes acnes and reduce its size right away (just make sure you have cleaned your face before using it). So for the oily and acne-prone skinned girl outhere like mine, just give this tumeric a shot. It's really made to help you with your acnes and ready to see your flawless skin:)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/1/2013 8:49:00 PM More reviews by seramadis

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Turmeric is an absolute MIRACLE PRODUCT! It is a great cleanser too. Anyways, I use it as a facial scrub and it is SO much better than anything else I have used. I used to use sugar, but I found it too harsh and irritating and it gave me a lot of redness because it was so irritating. The skin on your face is delicate, and you should treat it gently, not rub it with harsh things that break the delicate capillaries. So I stopped using sugar as a scrub. Then I used turmeric as a scrub, it is SOOO good! It leaves you with SUCH a glowy looking complexion, which also feels so smooth and silky, but without breaking all those delicate capillaries. It also calms down redness. I even think it has made me have a lighter and creamier complexion. If you use it at night you don't have to worry about looking jaundiced in the morning. I mix turmeric with olive oil and scrub it all over my face. I could also add gram flour or other ingredients, but I'm lazy, and just turmeric and olive oil give me all the results I want. I then wash it off in the shower with natural soap. I also add turmeric to everything I cook, and my son and I, who also eat here at home, never get sick. I don't know if that's the turmeric though. My younger son, who gets free government sponsored meals at school and therefore doesn't eat at home, is always getting sick. You can also add turmeric to milk that you are going to boil, for example if you drink hot milk or hot cocoa or hot tea with milk. Studies have shown that India is the country with the lowest levels of cancer and old-age neurological diseases (like dementia and Alzheimers) in the world, and people generally attribute this to the fact that Indian people add turmeric to practically everything they cook.

13 out of 21 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/1/2013 12:50:00 PM More reviews by shuaia3000

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

i use this as a face mask (thanks you tubers) & it really works. if i have a pimple & use this as a mask the pimple dries up & disappears overnight. it has also faded dark spots along w/the rose hip seed oil. i also drink it...warm milk & turmeric once a week & i sprinkle it on most foods i eat especially when i eat indian food i just add more. good stuff here.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/23/2013 11:05:00 AM More reviews by morsonel

I've been using the turmeric mask for a week now, everyday. I prepared it once and stored it in the fridge so I am using it after cleaning my face in the night without having to go through the trouble of preparing it on the spot. I just take it out of the fridge and put it on my face with a foundation brush. For the mixture I used turmeric, honey, cinnamon, some drops of tea tree, rosemary and olive oils (but I will skip the oils next time, I don't think my skin likes them so much; I can't put yogurt because I can't store it for too long, I have the impression it will spoil). I leave the mask on for an hour or so. I have to say the results are amazing. My face is glowing (and not because of the yellow staining- that doesn't bother me so much anyway), skin looks even toned, smoother, the scars faded like 50% in just 7 days, I have less pimples and the ones I have heal 3 times faster and don't seem to scar anymore. It does wonders for my cystic acne, takes it all to the surface which is a good thing in my case. For the pimples that are just forming, the turmeric makes them smaller and smaller until they go away without having to pop them. So it basically keeps every problem under control. It was been a wonder treatment for me (the best ever for scars, even wrinkles, overall condition of the skin) but I also use vitamin c (1000mg/daily), fish oil and benzoyl peroxide to keep new pimples from forming. I definitely recommend using this mask. I spent lots of money on so many product to get rid of my scars and nothing worked as good as turmeric..and it is so cheap. I want to try using it everyday for a month and see the results..then will just use it every other day and so on. I will keep you posted on the progress. :)

16 out of 18 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/18/2013 9:57:00 AM More reviews by redheadjane

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

There is a reason this is known as the "King of Herbs", It's amazing for just about every ailment that you have. I started taking this internally first using high quality curcumin. immediately I got relief from neuropathy and arthritis in my arms and legs. I am now at the point where I actually feel younger (No more aches and pains, I'm 40), have more energy, a glow to my skin, my hair is not super dry and brittle anymore.

Turmeric has been used for thousands of years in traditional South Asian Medicine for everything from a pain reliever, skin disorders to even dementia and cancer. It's a quite powerful herb and it alone can kill off infections within your body and bring systemic inflammation down rather quickly. I cannot tell you how much this amazing herb has changed my life. 5 months ago I was suffering from Severe Debilitating fatigue, foggy brain, acne breakouts, unexplained skin blotches, heart palpitations, memory loss, joint and muscle pain, headaches and was gaining weight when I was barely eating 800 calories a day. I went to a Natural Medicine doctor and was diagnosed with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis along with Adrenal insufficiency and Chronic fatigue associated with it.. I was 40 but felt like 80. I started on a Natural thyroid hormone (Natur-throid) and Vitamin D-3 Supplements and I did improve somewhat but still suffered with extreme tiredness and skin issues. It was not until I introduced Turmeric orally did I see a dramatic difference in how I felt and looked. within days of taking 1500 MGs a day of Quality Curcumin, I felt renewed. I had so much energy and for the first time in a very long time could easily make it through the day without a nap or feeling like I was going to crash. Now, I did get some Die-off symptoms because I also started Oil of Oregano (Another amazing Herb, if you acne you need to try it). I always suspected that my main issue was a systemic Candida infection. Which are very hard to kill. It's a fungus caused by the overgrowth of bacteria in your body. Mine was likely caused by being on synthetic Antibiotics for my hormonal acne issues for extended periods of time. I basically caused more problems than the antibiotics would solve. I was a miserable wreck.

Turmeric has been the key factor in my recovery. My skin still has issues from the damage done but I'm far better than I was months ago. It really is an incredible herb that can protect and heal you in the Toxic world we live in.

I started using Turmeric Externally in masks. Turmeric, Greek yogurt, local honey with a bit of cinnamon is a excellent mask. I also mix Coconut oil or Olive oil and just the Turmeric and make a paste. I wear the mask for as long as I can and then use the paste with a little added liquid castile soap as a gentle scrub. My skin is remarkably better after three times of using as a mask. I was worried about yellow staining but found the yogurt as a barrier to that. Once I use a gentle soap after removing the mask the yellow is not that noticeable, just a trace that washes off next time I scrub. My skin glows, my pores look smaller, my skintone is more even and less inflamed. If you make a paste and put this on a giant pimple/Cyst overnight it will heal up super fast. those ones that like take residence on your face for a month are gone in a few days.

Turmeric is now a must have for me in both my beauty care and Internal health care. I will never go without it ever!! It has changed my life!

55 out of 59 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/18/2013 9:51:00 AM More reviews by missroro

I use turmeric internally and topically.

I take 2 capsules a day (1 in the morning with breakfast and 1 at night after dinner). I find that this has actually helped keep my breakouts at bay which is probably because it helps cleanse out my liver a little bit more.

I also use turmeric for my face masks at least once a week (sometimes twice a week if I feel like it). A lot of people on here have complained about the yellow stain but because I do this at night, I don't find this to be an issue at all. Yes, my face has a slight yellow tinge (only noticeable if I peer into my mirror really closely) after I wash it off and even try swipe it off with some toner but by morning, all I do is cleanse with my Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser and not a trace of yellow is left. Turmeric hasn't made a huge impact on my old acne scars but it has definitely helped with my overall skin tone (evens out any redness and even gives me a slight glow, although that might be totally psychological) and my skin always feels really smooth and soft after I wash off my mask in the shower. This is how I make it:

- 1 teaspoon of rice flour (or besan/gram/chickpea flour)
- 3/4 teaspoon of turmeric
- 1 teaspoon of lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons of natural greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon of manuka honey

Feel free to adjust measurements to get the consistency you like. I mix it all up and then use a foundation brush I don't care fore and evenly spread the mask all over my face. I usually make more than enough for one use (but not really enough for 2 uses) so I slap on an extra thick layer on my trouble spots. I like to wait for my mask to fully dry (usually takes about an hour) before I step into my shower and wet my hands to slowly soften/break up the mask and start massaging it into my face, treating it like a facial scrub. After about 30 seconds of massaging, I rinse it all off and then pat my face dry. My skin has such a nice tone whenever I look into my mirror after I've just removed the turmeric mask, it makes me so happy.

I will definitely continue to use my turmeric mask weekly, just to help even out my skin tone and make it feel nice and soft :)