July 29, 2014 | 2128 users online

Eye Primer - NYX - Eyeshadow Base in Skin Tone

image 0image 1image 2

rated 4 of 5 on 5/30/2011 11:34:00 PM More reviews by CrimsonCountess

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I've been using this base, alternating with other primers and bases I have to see which one works best and with which eyeshadows. This one is not bad. Surprisingly, this base seems to work really well with my Mac eyeshadows. I have oily eyelids that tend to crease. I also have allergies and often times have issues with watery eyes. So far, so good. I like how the base in skin tone evens out the color of the lid. Like another reviewer mentioned, I don't believe it makes shadows brighter but I think it definitely helps the colors show up true to shade and it helps the product adhere to the lid. I like the consistency. It is not too thick and not to thin and easily blends out on the lid with a brush or your ring finger. The price was pretty good considering the amount of product you get versus how much you use. I purchased mine when it was 40% off. I will see how well this continues to works once it is at the peak of summer with blazing heat and sun exposure.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/20/2011 2:25:00 AM More reviews by Piggie8

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I had a review before, but after using this for months and months, I decided to write one again.

I've really come to enjoy this product. I've never had an eye primer, but this does a decent job. It doesn't perfect it, but having oily lids and my eyeshadow lasting through most of the day, I really do like it. I'm sure once I get a primer, it will be awesome.

For some reason, it's much darker than in the pictures. It's the average skin tone, but I have light skin, so if it's not covered, it sucks, but I'm not complaining too much.

I've also discovered a good use for this. Right now I'm using it as my dark eye concealer. I'm only 19, but I've had horrible dark circles under my eyes ever since I was 13. I ran out of concealer and bought two others which I lost and I didn't have enough money to get a new one, so I put this on. I have to "set" it quickly because it will get into the bags underneath my eyes and crease, but I feel like it does a decent job because when days I don't use it, I notice I look horrible.

If you're looking to start out, or don't want to pay a lot, I think this would be great for you. It's not a miracle product, but once I run out, I WILL be purchasing this again.

PS: My mom found out I was using this and borrowed it, and never gave it back. My mom NEVER does that. She has her HG items and never likes to try something, so the fact that she did that says something a little :P

rated 3 of 5 on 4/5/2011 4:52:00 PM More reviews by cheriesummer

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

If you plan on using this as a base to mute out ur eyelid color, its awesome, and has a great smooth texture, but if you have fairly greasy eyelids you will need a primer under it, it will crease like crazy in a few hours if not.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/16/2011 2:04:00 PM More reviews by sweetmalinche

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

As another reviewer said: there is a difference between a primer and base. I still have to use a primer (I use UDPP in Eden) to prevent creasing, but this makes a nice base. It is matte and pigmented so it creates a good primed canvas for colors. (I imagine that the new Stila Prime Pots give a similar finish and plan on getting during the next Ulta sale to compare.) For those of you with super oily lids that seem to crease not matter what, the combo of this and UDPP in Eden have been the most crease proof I have tried. This still occassionally creases on me, but it is way more budgeproof (yes, that's word) than MAC paint pots. For $5 - $6, give it a try.

8 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 3/8/2011 9:23:00 PM More reviews by sarahdams

I reach for this e/s base when I swatch e/s or am having a casual day. A little goes a long way, and if you use too much your e/s will crease either immediately or sooner in the day. I don't care for the skin tone color, it is too dark/yellow for me. However, it redeems itself by really making colors stand out, although it does crease easily. I would suggest using a primer before this base, it makes it last a lot longer.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/8/2011 4:26:00 PM More reviews by KiKiDisney

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

Pretty good base. It keeps my shadows staying on all day long and brightens the colors. The only thing is that it is a little too dark for my skin tone. I usually apply primer all over the lid up to the brow bone but with this I only wear it on the eye lid and the crease. When I put it all over the lid I felt like it was competing with the other shadows. So I don't usually use this for every color. I mainly use this for when im wearing dark colors or browns because it does a great job of bringing out the browns and I absolutely love it for that. I also like it just by itself. Sometimes I just use this on the lid and crease and a little white eye liner and it makes a natural look. So overall I would recommend this if you are looking for a good color base and if you have darker olive skin or yellow undertones.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/14/2011 12:24:00 PM More reviews by reenerneener

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

For being a "skin tone" primer, this is awful dark. I have exceptionally fair skin & this base is just bleh on me. I do like the white one a lot & will generally stick to using that. I would suggest using this base on the lid only & if your makeup passes your crease, try the white base or Milk eye pencil (or something lighter in general) to help with applying your highlight. I found both this & the white base on clearance at Ulta, plus got BOGO50% off, so these were really cheap for me. I do like the container as I find it easier to just dip my finger or brush in & grab what I need. Unfortunately, I wouldn't purchase this again, not in this colour.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/14/2011 12:18:00 PM More reviews by Schejtan

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Up until just a few days ago my HG e/s primer was Art Deco's (a German drugstore brand) e/s base. But then I tried Too Faced E/s Insurance and it was love at first sight. Anyway, in between I did some experimenting with the NYX's e/s base and I was not impressed. Sure, my e/s creased less with it than without it. But still, my days are usually quite long, so my e/s has to last for about 10 hours, which it usually does with Art Deco's e/s base. Unfortunately NYX isn't as good. My e/s creases after about 6 hours. Some might think that's a lot of time, but I just need more, as I usually don't find the time to do touch-ups during the day.
What I also seriously dislike about this e/s base is its colour. I'm very pale (I mix Revlon's Colorstay in Ivory with Barry M's Creme Foundation in White to get the right shade of foundation) and this base looks horrible if I don't blend it carefully and make sure I cover it all up with e/s. Words can not describe how much I hate it when brands ignore the fact that there are many of us out there who are pale (and who like to be pale).
Anyway, will not repurchase. I'll use it on shorter days or give it to my sister or something.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/12/2011 2:48:00 PM More reviews by ambiessence

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I purchased this product thinking it would be an inexpensive alternative to UDPP. NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wore UDPP on one eye, NYX on the other. The NYX lasted 4 hours at most. Going to but UDPP tomorrow. I'll keep the NYX container to use when I pot the UDPP.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/28/2011 7:58:00 PM More reviews by raenamercedi

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I bought this to use with NYX pigments. I did not like the pigments, and they all went into the garbage after one use. I tried to use the Eyeshadow Base for it's intended use with other brands of shadows. It was a disaster. Shadows that have never creased before, including Guerlain, creased horribly with this product.
After realizing that it was almost an exact match to my skintone, I tried using it as a concealer, and I love it for this purpose. I use the La Mer The Radiant Concealer (medium) underneath my eyes, but it is a shade too light for the rest of my face to cover blemishes, redness, etc.
The NYX Eyeshadow Base covers EVERYTHING, dries to a nice finish, and it lasts all day (when set with powder).
I would not re-purchase (or use) this as an eyeshadow base, but I would re-purchase as a concealer. Also, it is quite inexpensive, which is a nice change from the other concealers that I have purchased in the past.