October 1, 2014 | 2015 users online

Highlighters - TheBalm - Mary-Lou Manizer

rated 5 of 5 on 12/30/2013 5:16:00 PM More reviews by kmk3s

I'm loving this! It's my first time with a highlighter, but it goes on easily, & stays on all day. A little goes a long way, so I don't imagine that I'll be repurchasing this for oh, 5 years. I wasn't sure how much I'd be using it, but so far I've been using it everyday, it really just brightens my face up! I'm quite fair, but I think this is a nice neutral color that would work on many different skin tones.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/18/2013 12:25:00 PM More reviews by SimplePleasures

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is a lovely champagne-gold highlighter that may actually be universally flattering. I used it on my mom for her wedding (her complexion is much more olive-toned) and it looked absolutely brilliant both in person and in the pictures. This highlighter is ALMOST as vibrant as a liquid highlighter, with the added convenience of being much easier to brush on. If you apply it with your fingers and then just use a brush to blend it out a little, it's just as vibrant as a liquid. I do this when I want more "oomf," at night or for pictures, but during the day I sweep it on with my E.L.F. Studio angled brush. I often use this as an eyeshadow too, from lash to brow bone, with just some eyeliner and mascara on days when I don't want to spend much time on makeup. It makes me look perfectly polished. This also perfectly compliments almost any eye shadow (except maybe silver and grey). You know how sometimes the highlight shade in your palette just doesn't quite have enough light-reflecting power? Sweep Mary Lou-Manizer lightly on top of the highlighter shade and it just enhances the shadow and makes a subtle but remarkable difference. I'm really glad I found this highlighter and with the generous amount you get I'm sure it will last me a long time even though I use it almost daily.

I have two complaints with this product, neither of which as deal-breakers for me: 1) The staying power is not quite that of a liquid highlighter that's been set with powder. Like many powders, it can rub off throughout the day especially if you touch your face. But it's not the worst staying power either and it should last just fine if you don't touch your face too much, it's not too hot, or you're not doing strenuous exercise. 2) It breaks really easily. I have had to put this product back together with rubbing alcohol twice now, and it didn't even fall very far either time. The same qualities that make it soft and blendable also make it very fragile. It just makes me think that if it HAS to be that breakable, it should be in a sturdier, more shock-absorbent case. TheBalm should fix that. Until then, DON'T DROP IT. Thankfully I have not lost any quality in the product by adding alcohol, and I would repair this highlighter again and again to keep it around.

I consider this HG now. P.s.- Check out eBay and Amazon when shopping for this, I found it cheap (and yes it is authentic!).

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/12/2013 9:17:00 AM More reviews by Lomelindi

I debated about this purchase for a while. I have oily skin naturally, so I've always shyed away from highlighters because I felt like I didn't need any help in looking "shiny". This one looked terrifyingly frosty in the pan, but I was drawn to the fact that it was a light gold color, which I thought matched my very warm (NC25) skin.

After a few days of brushing this highlighter on my nose, temple and cheekbones with a skunk brush, I like but don't love the effect this highlighter gives. It doesn't look "oily", per se, but it still looks like a soft wash of shimmer on my face. (That may or may not be a good thing, depending on what sort of effect you want and if you're going to be photographed.) I like brushing this highlighter on top of my cheekbones after applying blush to give a soft, diffuse shine to my cheeks, but I've noticed that this effect disappears rapidly throughout the day. This highlighter doesn't seem to have great staying power on my oily skin.

On the bright side, the color looks gold in the pan but more neutral on the skin, so I think this highlighter would suit a variety of skin tones. Like everyone else already said, you get a TON of product for about $25, so if you wanted a highlighter that you'll never run out of, this is a great choice. In the end, I felt like this was one of those misc. product I don't actually "need" as part of my makeup regime.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/7/2013 3:40:00 AM More reviews by NightAng3l

Yes this is a LOT of product, I don't think I will ever run out! Nice highlighter, event though the reviews say its fine milled I expected it to be even more that what it is. Don't get me wrong, I use this product every day for highlighting the inner corners of my eyes, browbone (lightly) and high points of my face (lightly). As many others have said, a little goes a long way or you may end up looking silly. The only place I use this product full strength is on the eyes (inner corner or shadow). I would not buy this again because A) there is a ton of product and will take ages to run out B) I like to find new and different products ..especially if I had been using the one particular product without repurchase for a very long time.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/26/2013 10:26:00 AM More reviews by Carolion

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Grey

Best highlighter I've ever used- easily outperformed MAC Mineralize Skinfinish, Benefit HIghbeam, Touche Eclat, and yes EVEN Guerlain meteorites. Very fine shimmer, no glitter, will not fall down all over your face or make you look like a robot. It's very rich, tons of shimmer and you need to have a light hand and blend well or it can look a bit silly. Will last for ages! I got a sample of this in my Birchbox a while back, and I'm going to buy a full-size so that I can have the trial size for travel. The full-size is so huge I am nervous to travel with it in case it breaks.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/22/2013 4:22:00 AM More reviews by poohlisey

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I LOVE this. This one def gives a nice healthy glow for me. It doesn't look sparkly on my skin or anything, it looks like I'm naturally 'glowing' when applied on top of my blush. The amount of product you get for this is HUGE, will last me quite awhile. The price is right, but I got it for even less, $15 on Amazon!

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/19/2013 2:13:00 PM More reviews by moosefied

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Black

the best highlighter i've ever had. sooooo much product i have no idea when i will hit the pan. the champange color is very beautiful, gives that perfect goddess sparkle on the face. please use light hand, you dont want to look like steelwoman.
its blendable super fine texture. last a long time on my face, and it didnt broke me out. its a must have in every stash

rated 5 of 5 on 11/12/2013 5:01:00 AM More reviews by carlablack

I've never used a highlighter before but i'm glad i got this one. It's soft beige shimmer powder compact. I mean, shimmer ONLY, no glitter! (which is awesome). It also does not have a color (if you expect it to lighten your skin you will be disappointed) It only provides sheen (glow) to the skin.

I bought it without testing because there was no tester. Some people decided it was a good idea to open a random package for testing...I bought the untouched one of course, i had to open the products as well to see which one did not have a finger mark. Seriously, how can people do this it's so irritating! I almost bought a used product :(

Aaanywaays, after ranting about jerks, let's move on to the actual review :3

This is a very pigmented and powdery kind of shimmer. You HAVE to apply it with a light hand or else it makes skin look like some shiny metal (good cor cosplaying LOL) I could finally put my MAC 184 fan brush to good use, it picks up just the perfect amount of product. Don't even think about applying this with a regular highlighter/blush/powder blush, especially for the day! If you're using your fingers, you should just "touch" the compact and apply what's left on your finger; swiping will pick up too much.

Apply this to the areas you want to bring forward; top of cheekbones, inner corner of eyes, right under the brows, tip of nose and cupid's bow. I also apply a little bit on my chin. I wouldn't recommend applying this to areas with enlarged pores though, this might maximize their appearance.

Amount of product is overwhelming, I'm sure this one package will last me a lifetime.

Overall, this is not a foolproof product, mind you. If you have a heavy hand, just choose a liquid highlighter. Or get a fan brush like 184 to apply it. When used in small amounts it gives that lit-from-within glow. If used too much it makes you look like a drag queen..

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/2/2013 7:01:00 AM More reviews by satin828

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

I've never used a highlighter before but wanted to try it for fun. I decided to get this product after reading all the rave reviews here. Thank you MUA for another HG product! This is definitely worth the £15 I paid on Amazon UK. (Cosmetics shopping is not cheap in Europe)

I have normal/combo skin with slightly larger pores on my nose and surrounding cheek area. I also have freckles, which is why I stayed away from highlighters all these years. I figured that highlighters would just emphasize them - not good. To my surprise, this one didn't! It gave me a beautiful glow, not glittery or shiny, just glowy. It goes on smoothly but doesn't blend very well so use a small amount of product each time and build it up slowly. I used a fan blush to apply to my upper cheeks and nose bridge and a smudge brush to apply to my cupid's bow and brow bone. It also lasts a good 6 hours on me and doesn't cause any breakouts to my slightly sensitive skin. The colour is fantastic and looks very natural on my medium skin tone with yellow undertones. You really get what you paid for; with 8.5g of product, this will last a very long time. Love love love!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/28/2013 10:09:00 PM More reviews by RebekahDigney

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I think this is a holy grail product, Its super duper pigmented and i don't need to reapply during the day. Be sure to use a light hand with the product as it can give off a slightly metallic look if your not careful. The price is great because the product is amazing. The only downfall i personally think on darker skin tones it looks ashy which can sometimes look unflattering in my opinion. The balm needs to make another shade more versitile for all skin types.