October 23, 2014 | 1907 users online

Palettes - Urban Decay - Book of Shadows Vol. II [DISCONTINUED]

This product has been discontinued

rated 5 of 5 on 12/27/2009 10:21:00 PM More reviews by Jumaana

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I bought this after enjoying Makeupgeek.com's tutorials. I found it at Macys, even though everyone else was sold out.

I didn't have any other UD products except for Primer Potion. These shadows are the HIGHEST quality I have ever used. They far surpass MAC. The shadows are so silky and pigmented.

I love the pink shadow, the champagne color, and the basic black. I wore the green one once (eh, not for me) and have enjoyed many looks already.

This may be surprising, I am not big on the 24/7 liners. I feel like they didn't show up in the waterline and were too soft to use on the lids. Not my favorite liner. I will stick to Laura Mercier cake liner.

All in all, great product, decent price.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/27/2009 7:45:00 PM More reviews by AWilliams87

Oh. My. God. I finally got my package in the mail after waiting nearly two weeks and I cannot be more excited about it! The colors are SO velvety and the pay off is amazing. I wore Homegrown today which is the true bright green over my Too Faced Shadow Insurance and it stayed perfect all day. I can't wait to try the other new exclusive colors. This is the best eyeshadow kit ever. I'm so glad that I ordered it just in time!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/25/2009 12:02:00 PM More reviews by insanity89

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Gorgeous Eyeshadows. I haven't had a chance to use all of them yet because I just got the palette a few days ago. Great value- you get 16 eyeshadows + 2 eyeliners + primer potion. even though I bought mine from someone online without the eyeliners and primer potion, I still think its great value. I'd highly reccomend.I wish it opened from the top but its not a big issue

rated 5 of 5 on 12/22/2009 10:18:00 PM More reviews by kuongkw

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is the first palette I got from UD. I've never tried their eyeliner and this kit inlcudes 2 of them and it's almost the best eyeliner I've ever tried! I liked almost all the color of the eye shadow. About midnight cowboy rides again, I don't use it as a "eyeshadow", but as a touch of shimmer at the corners or under the eyebrows. I don't like how the shiny pieces are falling off while applying though and you really need to use the primer to hold them. There are a few colors that I thought may be hard to wear but turns out to be not the case and I really love them - Misdemeanor, Homegrown, Twice Baked and Mushroom. Jinx may be the only one that is hard to wear (I mean too dramatic/colorful for everyday uses). The one that was unexpectedly disappointing is Nylon - cheap gold color. My favourite is Sellout. I am also happy about how many colors can layer to each other easily, so one can create many more different looks by these 16 shadows. On the down side, I actually don't like how the whole palette is so huge because of the box and packaging because it is absolutely not travel friendly but I really want to carry this with me all the time :(

rated 5 of 5 on 12/20/2009 8:41:00 AM More reviews by westinflorida

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

I haven't written many reviews, but felt that this purchase deserved to be shared. This product is, by far and above, the best Urban Decay purchase EVER! The shades are magnificent and quite wearable - not too glittery, but far from dull. Any age can wear the shadows in this palette. These shadows apply with the greatest of ease and blend beautifully. There's no real highlighter shade to speak of, but a simple matte shadow would complete any look created with these. I do not foresee having to repurchase this as the shadows are highly pigmented and little product is needed to achieve most looks, but I would certainly love to purchase this product and share with a friend - it's just that good!! The purchase price seems steep, but consider the value. It is well worth it!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/20/2009 7:29:00 AM More reviews by whatever11

urban decay have done it again. 16 beautifully pigmented, easily blendable eyeshadows, presented in a beautful pallete for 27 pounds!!! the colours are beautiful. the only identical eyeshadow to volume 1 is perversion; which is a matt black. the pallete also has several unique colours which are limited edition to the set. furthermore, it comes with 2 of urban decays 24/7 eyeliner pencils, one in zero (black) and one in bourbon (brown). also included is a mini primer potion. this is the perfect set for beginners because it comes with so many colours, so you can sit and experiment with different combinations for hours. this really is an ideal gift for someone!!

rated 4 of 5 on 12/19/2009 7:04:00 PM More reviews by divinem1

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

My Skin Type
    Sensitive, ivory complexion with pink undertones.

Overall
    This is a fantastic deal for the makeup connoisseur who loves to play with color -- there is plenty to play with in this palette. I love that it comes with two eyeliners and a small UD primer potion for testing. Very useful instead of cheap makeup brushes/sponges that will never be used.

The Colors
    Excellent payoff with all these colors. I was amazed. The only con I see is that there are no matte colors, which means you have to bring your own if you're traveling, which is a bummer but you can achieve many looks with this palette alone. I'm not impressed with the highly frosted (lustre) shadows. They're so chunky it's almost like placing glitter on your lids. LOTS of fallout with these. If you're 40+, this may not be the palette for you because the colors are dramatic and very shimmery.

The Price
    Excellent price for everything UD is offering in this palette.

The packaging
    Fun packaging. I love the drawer that opens to the shadows, but it's a little temperamental at times. You have to wiggle it sometimes to get it to open, but it sounds like it's an improvement from UD BOS Vol. I. The little insert with look suggestions is kind of silly. It would have been nice to have a place to store makeup brushes or something more useful.

Overall
    Overall, I give UD BOS Vol. II 4 lippies (one off for the packaging) even though I probably won't keep it. I'd give anything to have had this 15 years ago. 8-)

rated 5 of 5 on 12/17/2009 11:29:00 AM More reviews by intercitykitty

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

A great find!

I didn't own Book Of Shadows I, But when I saw 2 I was compelled to purchase!

The shadows are silky and smooth, go on like a dream. Very well pigmented, so a little goes a long way.
    Very blendable and easy to combine colours within the palette.

I found Nylon and Midnight Cowboy were a little heavy on the glitter and there was a whole lot of fallout, which I am not fond of. But if you place a tissue on your cheek as you are doing your eyes, you should have no problems.

LOVE Half Baked, Twice Baked, YDK, Mushroom.
    Sellout is a great highlighter shade.
    AC/DC, Gunmetal and all the blues and greens are great for once in a while.
    The only colours i didn't enjoy were Sphynx and Ecstacy. They looked... odd on me. They days I wore them my co-workers said I looked tired and asked if I was feeling ok! Not a good sign!

The gel eyeliners were a great bonus! Went on well and stayed out.

The primer was also a nice addition. Great size to store at work or in your purse.

The price is a little more than I like to spend on shadows... but you DO get a whole lot and it works out to around $4 a shadow, which is less than drugstore price. Can't beat that!

The package is cute.
    I have no idea what that top flap is for... pointless.
    But I like that the shadows pull out as a drawer. It keeps them contained.
    The box is a tad on the large size, which is annoying if you travel a lot like I do and want to take it with you.

I am excited to see what they come out with next year and really wish I would have invested in the first edition last year!

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/17/2009 6:51:00 AM More reviews by Legs11

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I got this onboard and i love it!
    There are some fab colours and i really love the liners!!! They go on so smoothly and are almost gel like.
    Im loving the new wand for the primer potion too!
    There is such a vast array of colours that the amount of looks are endless. I am having so much fun using this palette and so many people have complemented me on my eye make-up.
    The packaging isnt too bad, id rather have a flip lid and i think the "secret" compartment is pretty pointless. I have looked at it once and thats it.
    The only really bad thing is midnight cowboy, it always looks so nice in the pan but on its just a chunky glittery mess!

rated 4 of 5 on 12/14/2009 1:46:00 AM More reviews by subtlelikeatank

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

Got this as a Hanukkah gift two days ago and I am already in love with it. I hope that some of the colors will become part of the permanent collection. Being a huge UD junkie the mini primer potion and 24/7s were a bit wasted on me as I already have them, but it's always nice to have spares. The little look book is nice, but I had hoped it was different looks using the palette instead of the face charts on their website. Most of the looks can't be done using only this palette. However for $3 per shadow with 2 free eyeliners and a free UDPP I can't complain. All in all a great palette that will see a lot of use.