Kat Von D Tattoo Liner

4.2

Water, Ammonium Styrene/Acrylates Copolymer, Butylene, Glycol, Alcohol, Beheneth-30, Phenoxyethanol, Acrylates/Octylacrylamide Copolymer, Methylparaben, Polygylceryl-3 Disiloxane Dimethicone, Propylparaben, Sodium Hydroxide, Disodium Edta, Carbon Black.

This is a staple for me. I've gone through at least 5 of 'em. Dark, easy to apply, lasts all day -- yet not too difficult to remove at night. I consider this midpriced (will pay the $$ for something that works, especially on liquid liner, which is a "daily use" item for me). Also, the tube lasts a long time without drying out. I vastly prefer this felt tip (Kat Von D also offers a brush tip liquid liner, which I sometimes get by accident -_-).

It's not perfect, I'm sure I could do better, but for the money and ease-of-use, this is perfect for me. The main cons are that it does take a few swipes to get the darkest black this product has to offer, and though the fine tip is great, it can be a little *too* fine and flexible, causing a shaky line.

-Definitely better than ANY drugstore liquid liner I've tried (a lot)
-Easier to use than gels (don't have to find/use/clean a brush)
-$21, which isn't cheap, but it's not terrible
-Can fade slightly, but doesn't flake off in chunks, either during the day or when removing at night. Doesn't stick to your lashes either (looking at you, Stila)

Overall: highly recommend.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I've been using this for a few months now and I do really like it for going out. For me it doesn't last as long as it claims to (definitely have to reapply if I want it to make it through a work day), but it's super easy to apply and it makes an instant impact. I have really dark eyes and I'm big on eyeliner to make them pop, and this stuff is powerful.

That said, I've definitely used Maybelline versions of roughly the same product that are half the cost and only a little less awesome.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

The liner is wonderful for my hooded eyelids! The colour is rich and never needs re-application or touch ups. It stays put until I wash off my makeup with makeup remover, and even then it needs a bit of scrubbing off. I love the applicator for the thinness of the tip and the price isn't bad either!

Pros: stays on ALL NIGHT, through the rain and wind, nice packaging. Very black after layering the colour. But the real stars go to how it stays put and doesn't smudge all night - especially on my concealer!

Cons: The formula is "stickier" than I'm used to - perhaps this is why it stays on so well so I'm not necessarily deducting points for that. My major gripe is that one swipe over the eyelid is comes off translucent and greyish - not a bold black line upon first swipe. This means I need to go over the line again, which creates a higher chance of mistakes. And since it doesn't budge, it's really a huge pain to have to wipe off the deformed wing with make up remover, wait for the area to dry, and try again.

Overall, I would repurchase it as it is the only liner I've come across that doesn't smudge. Max number of hours I've worn it close to 8 without reapplying necessary.

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Coarse

Wow. I very rarely feel compelled to write a review slamming a particular product but this one is just so horrible that I can't help it. Kat Von D's tattoo liner is one of those cult favorite products that everyone and their mother seems to revere. When it comes to cult products in general, I'm usually able to either a) appreciate the product as much as the impassioned masses or b) understand why it's so popular even if it's not my favorite thing ever. This liner is the first product where I can do neither. I find it so terrible that I'm almost convinced the popularity of this product has to do with carefully planted advertising under the guise of bloggers by the brand itself. (Okay, I know that's probably not true but I can't understand why something this shockingly bad is so beloved.)

When you hear people talk about this liner words and phrases such as "bold," "long-lasting," "smudgeproof," "blacker than black," "easy to work with" are trotted out. I find this liner none of these things. When applied to my eyelids, this liner is more of a darkened gray, similar in depth to something like MAC's Smut eyeshadow. I find I need to go over any lines or wings I make with it about 2-3 times in order to get it to an acceptably dark shade. As I go over the liner, however, it has a tendency to drag color I just deposited--think goopy nail polish that pulls away from the cuticle as you bring the brush down your nail. If I allow the liner to dry down before going over it, it flakes off entirely and I'm left with an effectively de-lined eye. WTH? Should I finally get the liner on, looking acceptably close to black, then it smudges and/or fades an hour into wearing it. I have oily eyelids but I always wear NARS' primer underneath which keeps my eyeshadow and all other liners I have ever tried bulletproof. Not so for KVD. My wings turn into gray blobs at the corners of my eyes while my eyeshadow still looks as fresh as when I first applied it. WTH?[2] And to add insult to injury, my liner seems to be drying out already and I've had it less than one week. WTH?[3]

I store this thing upside down, like all my other liquid liners, so that the color goes toward the tip. I shake it vigorously before I apply, like all my other liquid liners. I remove any gunk from the brush before application to ensure the color deposits itself on my lid, like all my other liquid liners. I've tried different combinations of products with it--different primers, different eyeshadow bases, different shadow formulas--and the same things happen to me every time. I've tried it every trick and tip I've read from reviews on how to get this thing to work for me and it always fails. I can only surmise that the KVD line has piss poor quality control and I got a dud, or this product is all hype.

If this product is your HG I'm so happy for you and hope you continue to enjoy it. Personally, I'll stick to Stila Stay All Day liquid liner which is actually "bold," "long-lasting," "smudgeproof," "blacker than black," and "easy to work with" for me.

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

This is the only eyeliner I use. It's amazing. It creates crisp bold lines and it's very easy to use. It's great for thin lines or more dramatic cat eyes. Will be repurchasing

The best liner on the market. I'll never use any other brand now. Perfection.

There is no eyeliner I have ever used that compares to this! My liner is usually a smudgy mess but this stays put!!

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

This liner is super black and matte. I found it really easy to apply with a straight line and easy to fix small mistakes. It goes on smooth and rich which makes the application quick. After a day of work, I found the line wasn't as crisp where the edges had faded a bit, but it still defined my eyes. So far, this has been the best and easiest liquid liner to use. I've had a travel size and it's lasted me several months and still going strong. The full size is a great value.

Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Hair: Silver, Other, Other

Dry after 2 days of purchasing it! I thought it would be worth my money but it wasn't! overly priced and it doesn't even work well! Don't waste your money!