Ion Color Brilliance - Demi Permanent Hair Color

WATER ,CETEARYL ALCOHOL ,ETHANOLAMINE ,LAURETH-3 ,SODIUM LAURETH SULFATE ,TOLUENE-2,5-DIAMINE SULFATE ,OLETH-5 PHOSPHATE ,DIOLEYL PHOSPHATE ,SODIUM LAURYL SULFATE ,GLYCERYL STEARATE SE ,FRAGRANCE ,BEESWAX ,SODIUM SULFITE ,SODIUM SULFATE ,RESORCINOL ,2-METHYLRESORCINOL ,EDTA ,LIMNANTHES ALBA (MEADOWFOAM) SEED OIL ,ERYTHORBIC ACID ,P-AMINOPHENOL ,M-AMINOPHENOL ,SIMETHICONE ,4-AMINO-2-HYDROXYTOLUENE ,GLYCERIN ,ALPHA-ISOMETHYL IONONE ,2-AMINO-3-HYDROXYPYRIDINE ,TRITICUM VULGARE (WHEAT) GLUTEN ,LINALOOL ,CITRONELLOL ,GERANIOL

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

So many well written, detailed and positive reviews here I won't go on. Believe the good reviews. This stuff lasts! After 2+ weeks using #3RVR burgundy brown it's STILL shiny and coloured. I had these light ends from using drugstore permanents and nothing would blend it. My hair dresser did a great job blending it with a semi I think but for $100 and having it wash out in under two weeks, it wasn't worth it. This demi though is amazing! :o I'm so shocked. For $3 on sale plus developer, the colour is complex and gorgeous. I'm so impressed. I used it 1:1 because my hair doesn't take colour well and it did end up quite dark and saturated but I adore it. I would recommend this to anyone!

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

I used the color 9NG on really light golden hair and my roots turned GRAY?! but my length was a decent color, still not close to swatch color. Will not be repurchasing.....Be Careful if you have really blonde hair....Use Porosity filler beforehand

This is an amazing demi-permanent hair color. I will be using this again and again. I went through selecting 4 different demi-permanents from ION to correct my copper red hair that I wanted, I was progressing from being a platinum blonde for the past couple years. The copper was just impossible to keep, so I picked out 3 red bases from Ion, but I settled on 5N Light Natural Brown... Which I will let you know 5N is not Light Natural Brown, it's more of a Chocolate Brown. 5N is a chocolate brown if you've ever seen 5N before. I think the names are misleading. But anyways, I left the hair color on my roots for 15 minutes the first time initially and my ends for 5. Yes my hair looked black, and I did freak out but the color came out a stunning chocolate brown, unfortunately my roots still red/brown. I did a second process about two hours later just on my roots and left it on for about 10 minutes and it evened out my hair perfectly.

My pros: makes hair unbelievably shiny, brush-able, soft, and smells wonderful.

My cons: if anything they need to edit the names they use for their products.

Before I used this product my hair was dry as the Sahara, and I wanted to cry every time I brushed it. The color is great and for an ammonia free non damaging product it is a win. My hair looks like it has soft caramel blonde and red highlights put through. I will definitely be using this product for awhile. It is even holding my curls better. HG for sure.

Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure

I'm amazed on how shiny and beautiful my hair looked after using this product. I have very curly hair (3C texture) and wanted to stay away from ammonia based products to keep my hair natural. In addition, ammonia can change the curl pattern of your hair so I didn't want to risk having the texture of my hair altered so I decided to use ION's Demi Permanent (medium golden brown). As I was applying the color it appeared as though it was going to be a true golden brown; almost yellowish, but as it sat in my hair up to 30 minutes it began turning very dark rather quickly. My normal hair color is dark brown and after rinsing the color out of my hair it came out JET BLACK. It darkened my hair tremendously, but I absolutely love it because it makes my curls look shinier and healthy. I never knew black hair would actually make my curls pop and my hair look healthy.

If you have any shade of brown hair and are looking to lighten your hair, you should use a blonde demi-permanent color because any brown demi-permanent color will make your hair darker; possibly black. If you view the ION website, the chart will also reflect this or you may call their toll-free number to speak with a specialist who can guide you in the right direction.

Overall, this is my brand of choice, however when I perform my touch ups in the future I'll use Dark Brown (3N Dark Natural Brown) or (4N Medium Natural Brown) to maintain the black color in my hair because if I were to continue using the Medium Golden Brown my hair will eventually get lighter and I don't want that. This was my first time coloring my own hair, but I followed the instructions inside of the box and everything when smoothly.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

I am in the process of going back to brown hair, my hair started to fall and has gotten really thin due to high lift permanent color, highlights and bleach, it was down to my waist and now is at chest level. Did a lot of research before choosing this brand since my hair and scalp can't take the multiple root touch up I was doing monthly. I am happy that going back up in the color scale is pretty easy considering that it took me a little under two years to become a level 11 blonde. Two days ago I bought Ion Demi in 8N mixed with 10V, sprayed the pre-color treatment and left the mix for 25 minutes since I had so many different shades of blonde. Color came out pretty uniform and darker as everyone has mentioned, on me it's a dark warm blonde/very light warm brown depending on the light. Hair feels soft, looks shiny and I hope I am on my way to having beautiful, long, shiny healthy hair again.

Performs no better/worse than other demis.

My issue was with the color itself; I used 6RC ("dark copper blond"/6.4 which should have been screaming orange-based copper) to refresh the middle/ends my level 6 reddish brown hair. I knew it would be a level or two darker right away...that's fine, I'm happy to wait a couple weeks.

However, like many have complained about this color elsewhere, it has a notable pink/violet base to it, which must be the red in it, a particularly cool toned red, which is completely at odds with what the swatch looks like and what I've experienced with other brands.

I do not like fakey burgundy/cool toned dark reds so this wasn't for me. True to form, it did wash out after 2.5 months or so, so nothing lost.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

This product left my hair in good condition and the smell was not unpleasant. However...I used medium neutral blond and the color came out about 3 SHADES DARKER than Clairol demi in the same shade. Be careful with this. I would recommend going 2 to 3 shades lighter than your desired level.

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

Packaging is simple, but opens easily. The shades run darker so check a swatch and test on your own hair.

I'm a medium brunette, with some light to very light brown thrown in here or there (I expect to find them gray one day!) My hair tends to pull red. I recently had highlights done with out toning that I found less than stellar. I opted for this brand over Clairol due to the color swatch shown, it appeared to have a vibrant quality. The color I used to add pigment to the highlights was 6g (dark golden blonde).

It looks fantastic, it feels fantastic, and was very gentle on my hair. (I'm picky about haircolor, and even keep notes on them to prevent relapses!) It felt great after application, no tacky sticky feel, hair still retained it's fine soft texture. It coated well, and distributed evenly, color was true to swatch (even if not in name, I would call it a sun-tea color.) I did an all over application, and it left the unhighlighted portions glossy and deepened, more radiant if you will. The light catches in the hair--and I'm definitely pleased! There was no lightening of the unhighlighted area, truly deposit only. (product was left on for 10 minutes after application).

No complaints at all, except their idea of dark blonde and mine seem to differ--luckily swatches were given as a visual aid.

LOTS of product when mixed 1:2; I could have used half the portion (with left overs) to cover thick shoulder length hair.

I agree with everyone else, the color certainly runs a couple of shades darker, so be very careful when choosing your shade. Let me share my experience with all of you...

My hair is naturally curly, my natural hair color is a level 4 brown. Originally when I started to use this product, I bought either a level 4 or even a 3!!! While I didn't mind the darker shade of brown, with time, the ends started to look almost black compared to my roots. I had to do something to remedy the situation.

I decided to get highlights done to try and blend the dark color with some lighter tones in an attempt to get closer to my natural color level. This has worked well but needed a couple of visits to the salon for full foils before I really saw a difference. It was a much safer alternative than completely bleaching my hair and starting from scratch!

Needless to say, I've learned my lesson, I am not going to touch anything lower than a level 6 in this product, there are plenty of tones to choose from (natural dk blonde to dk copper blonde) depending on my mood. These colors blend beautifully with highlights. I did the copper blonde for a few months and just re-colored with dark golden blonde. This has yielded a beautiful shade of brown with tons of shine!! It's also pretty darn close to my natural color but better! I am very pleased with the results.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

I have been using this for a few years. Before this I was using the Wella Demi which I also had pretty good luck with.
I have about 50% gray at the crown and a few others mixed in. My normal level is about 5 (with gray). I tend to go orange, so want to counteract that and I previously experimented with 7N and some 7G (didn't like the results). I have also used 7N by itself w/developer, but that came out very dull on me.
I was in the mood to go darker (I know the outgrowth will be a negative), but I picked up 5N and 3RV, plus some clear color gloss and the 10 vol. developer.
I used a tube of 5N with a small dab (about an inch), of the 3RV (to counteract the gold tones), and then the developer to equal the color 1:1. This came out very dark on the roots, but I left it on over 30 min. Next time I would not let it go that long, maybe 20. Ended up the root area was a dark cherry cola shade which is beautiful, but more like a 4 level on me.
Then for the length I mixed 1:1 5N and 00 (Clear gloss) and ran that through and left on for 10 min. That did a good job of refreshing the length and producing shine.
~just remember to be careful about the level go a shade or two lighter until you find the level you like.
My hair is not damaged by this brand and I will continue to use it, since I like experimenting with customized shades.
The Ion Effective Care conditioner is really wonderful.
I can spend $10 and do my thick, shoulder length hair.