Ion Color Brilliance - Demi Permanent Hair Color

WATER ,CETEARYL ALCOHOL ,ETHANOLAMINE ,LAURETH-3 ,SODIUM LAURETH SULFATE ,TOLUENE-2,5-DIAMINE SULFATE ,OLETH-5 PHOSPHATE ,DIOLEYL PHOSPHATE ,SODIUM LAURYL SULFATE ,GLYCERYL STEARATE SE ,FRAGRANCE ,BEESWAX ,SODIUM SULFITE ,SODIUM SULFATE ,RESORCINOL ,2-METHYLRESORCINOL ,EDTA ,LIMNANTHES ALBA (MEADOWFOAM) SEED OIL ,ERYTHORBIC ACID ,P-AMINOPHENOL ,M-AMINOPHENOL ,SIMETHICONE ,4-AMINO-2-HYDROXYTOLUENE ,GLYCERIN ,ALPHA-ISOMETHYL IONONE ,2-AMINO-3-HYDROXYPYRIDINE ,TRITICUM VULGARE (WHEAT) GLUTEN ,LINALOOL ,CITRONELLOL ,GERANIOL

on 6/29/2010 12:18:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

I have been using this for a few years. Before this I was using the Wella Demi which I also had pretty good luck with.
I have about 50% gray at the crown and a few others mixed in. My normal level is about 5 (with gray). I tend to go orange, so want to counteract that and I previously experimented with 7N and some 7G (didn't like the results). I have also used 7N by itself w/developer, but that came out very dull on me.
I was in the mood to go darker (I know the outgrowth will be a negative), but I picked up 5N and 3RV, plus some clear color gloss and the 10 vol. developer.
I used a tube of 5N with a small dab (about an inch), of the 3RV (to counteract the gold tones), and then the developer to equal the color 1:1. This came out very dark on the roots, but I left it on over 30 min. Next time I would not let it go that long, maybe 20. Ended up the root area was a dark cherry cola shade which is beautiful, but more like a 4 level on me.
Then for the length I mixed 1:1 5N and 00 (Clear gloss) and ran that through and left on for 10 min. That did a good job of refreshing the length and producing shine.
~just remember to be careful about the level go a shade or two lighter until you find the level you like.
My hair is not damaged by this brand and I will continue to use it, since I like experimenting with customized shades.
The Ion Effective Care conditioner is really wonderful.
I can spend $10 and do my thick, shoulder length hair.

on 5/14/2015 6:51:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

For years I had been doing my hair with permanent color from the drugstore. Usually Garnier Nutrisse or Revlon Colorsilk. Since I got my hair cut short and its in such great shape, I decided to try a demi permanent color from Sallys. I was hoping this would cause less damage to my hair.
I had medium golden brown hair to start and I bought 7WR (Medium Warm Red Blonde) in Ion Color Brilliance Demi Permanent Color. I mixed it with Ion Sensitive Scalp Developer in a 1:2 ratio and let it sit on my hair 25 minutes. The results were dark brown hair with a touch of red. I deliberately chose two shades lighter than the color I wanted and it still came out too dark. The color isn't bad with my complexion but its not what I hoped to achieve. I wanted a medium reddish brown color. The good thing is this demi permanent color and will wash out in about a month's time.
There were a few good things about this product. It was easy to apply, very gentle on my hair,didn't burn my scalp and the color came out a very rich dark brown and shiny. Next time I will try a lighter color.

on 3/9/2015 7:31:00 AM

I just colored my dry, damaged hair yesterday with the Ion demi-permanent black (1NA) hair color and it came out wonderfully! My hair doesn't feel or look dry OR damaged! However, I did use the Ion pre-color treatment as well as the after-color treatment since my previous hair color was very uneven from my last coloring that I did a few weeks ago using a box color from Wal-mart. I just hope that this color lasts its 24 shampoos like it is supposed to. I use the Pureology line for shampoo and conditioner so I'm sure that it will stay for awhile. I can't wait to color my hair again with the Ion line!

on 4/15/2014 7:37:00 AM

Did not like this at all! Did not cover my grey! Washed right out and left me with ash grey roots! Iam a natural darker blonde and used the 8n, left it on for 35-40 mins and when I wased it out I could still see grey right away! It didn't burn ,but it didn't accomplish anything either! I am going back to ion permanant color, I have used that for years, just thought this might be a bit gentler on my scalp!

on 1/24/2014 3:30:00 AM

Medium Ash Blonde 7NA. I am reverting from henna to my natural medium/dark brown color. I used some indigo to tone the red but it was still peeking through. I used greenish/teal manic panic to tone but red still peeking through. I found this laying in my drawer from my blonde days and thought what the hay, at least it's 'ASH'. Mixed 1:2 - color:10 vol and applied for 25 min. It has toned down the red considerably and left me with a warm dark brown. Yes... Medium blonde left me with dark brown. And warning: when they say ash they mean it. Shower run-off and skin stains were green. Which is exactly what I needed and ill definitely buy again to refresh til my natural color grows in, but if you're light blonde or something this will probably turn your hair dark and green. My first time using a Demi color instead of permanent with the lower developer and I'm very pleased; my hair is not damaged. Will use again and again til that pesky red is gone!

on 8/27/2013 8:46:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

This color is very gentle to hair and very natural looking. You must go up two levels as results are dark. I use medium blonde natural to get a light brown on my dark brown hair with over 50% gray. I leave color on roots for 45 minutes, and 5 to 10 minutes on the lengths of my hair. I get perfect gray coverage. I like the fact that it fades so I don't get that stark contrast with gray/white roots. I color every 3 weeks for root coverage, so fading is not an issue. I use Ion Daily Repair Conditioner (which is fabulous) and my hair is in great shape.

on 9/27/2012 9:02:00 AM

First off, I want to say that I usually have a hard time keeping my hair red.That all changed when I found this.I got it in Light burgundy blonde & I love it! I don't wash my hair everyday.I wash every other day.I use Reviting Reds Shampoo & Cond. from Sallys Beauty.I also use Beyond the Zone,Turn up the red color gloss.If u have red colored, u have to keep it up.I do hair to,so I know alot about hair.If u have bleached hair,u would have to leave this on about 45 mins.Bleached hair fades when u color over it.On another note,I don't have to recolor my yet.It's been a month.I usally have to color or do something just after a week.I don't have to with this product.It's way less damage than reg. hair color.

on 12/28/2011 1:48:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

I mixed two blondeish red shades together, despite having medium to dark hair. I've read you should always use a shade lighter than the color you want with demi permanent hair color. Unfortunately the developer has peroxide in it, so of course it's damaging. I only can tell when I shower though, and my hair is wet, before conditioner. It becomes a tangled mess, and feels coarse. Conditioner makes it feel normal, and once I style it, it's much shinier than it was before I dyed it. I've washed it 3 times and still see haircolor washing out. This was the messiest dye I've ever applied to my hair. By the way, my hair was completely virgin, I had dyed it in the past but let it grow out 6 years. It still got damaged, and of course the roots are brighter than the ends. I really want the color to fade, it's really vivid which I guess is a good thing, but looks so unnatural right now.

on 11/6/2011 7:30:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I bought this in light golden brown and it turned out dark dark brown lol it doesn't look bad I like it and I've gotten a lot of compliments already! I would use it and buy it again its $3.49 with your sallys card. I would suggest to becarful when choosing the color because they run dark but I'm sure you can keep washing it till you lighten it to the shade you like. Good product especially for the price.

on 4/30/2011 8:22:00 PM

Performs no better/worse than other demis.

My issue was with the color itself; I used 6RC ("dark copper blond"/6.4 which should have been screaming orange-based copper) to refresh the middle/ends my level 6 reddish brown hair. I knew it would be a level or two darker right away...that's fine, I'm happy to wait a couple weeks.

However, like many have complained about this color elsewhere, it has a notable pink/violet base to it, which must be the red in it, a particularly cool toned red, which is completely at odds with what the swatch looks like and what I've experienced with other brands.

I do not like fakey burgundy/cool toned dark reds so this wasn't for me. True to form, it did wash out after 2.5 months or so, so nothing lost.