Ion Color Brilliance - Demi Permanent Hair Color

WATER ,CETEARYL ALCOHOL ,ETHANOLAMINE ,LAURETH-3 ,SODIUM LAURETH SULFATE ,TOLUENE-2,5-DIAMINE SULFATE ,OLETH-5 PHOSPHATE ,DIOLEYL PHOSPHATE ,SODIUM LAURYL SULFATE ,GLYCERYL STEARATE SE ,FRAGRANCE ,BEESWAX ,SODIUM SULFITE ,SODIUM SULFATE ,RESORCINOL ,2-METHYLRESORCINOL ,EDTA ,LIMNANTHES ALBA (MEADOWFOAM) SEED OIL ,ERYTHORBIC ACID ,P-AMINOPHENOL ,M-AMINOPHENOL ,SIMETHICONE ,4-AMINO-2-HYDROXYTOLUENE ,GLYCERIN ,ALPHA-ISOMETHYL IONONE ,2-AMINO-3-HYDROXYPYRIDINE ,TRITICUM VULGARE (WHEAT) GLUTEN ,LINALOOL ,CITRONELLOL ,GERANIOL

on 4/15/2014 7:37:00 AM

Did not like this at all! Did not cover my grey! Washed right out and left me with ash grey roots! Iam a natural darker blonde and used the 8n, left it on for 35-40 mins and when I wased it out I could still see grey right away! It didn't burn ,but it didn't accomplish anything either! I am going back to ion permanant color, I have used that for years, just thought this might be a bit gentler on my scalp!

on 1/24/2014 3:30:00 AM

Medium Ash Blonde 7NA. I am reverting from henna to my natural medium/dark brown color. I used some indigo to tone the red but it was still peeking through. I used greenish/teal manic panic to tone but red still peeking through. I found this laying in my drawer from my blonde days and thought what the hay, at least it's 'ASH'. Mixed 1:2 - color:10 vol and applied for 25 min. It has toned down the red considerably and left me with a warm dark brown. Yes... Medium blonde left me with dark brown. And warning: when they say ash they mean it. Shower run-off and skin stains were green. Which is exactly what I needed and ill definitely buy again to refresh til my natural color grows in, but if you're light blonde or something this will probably turn your hair dark and green. My first time using a Demi color instead of permanent with the lower developer and I'm very pleased; my hair is not damaged. Will use again and again til that pesky red is gone!

on 8/27/2013 8:46:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

This color is very gentle to hair and very natural looking. You must go up two levels as results are dark. I use medium blonde natural to get a light brown on my dark brown hair with over 50% gray. I leave color on roots for 45 minutes, and 5 to 10 minutes on the lengths of my hair. I get perfect gray coverage. I like the fact that it fades so I don't get that stark contrast with gray/white roots. I color every 3 weeks for root coverage, so fading is not an issue. I use Ion Daily Repair Conditioner (which is fabulous) and my hair is in great shape.

on 9/27/2012 9:02:00 AM

First off, I want to say that I usually have a hard time keeping my hair red.That all changed when I found this.I got it in Light burgundy blonde & I love it! I don't wash my hair everyday.I wash every other day.I use Reviting Reds Shampoo & Cond. from Sallys Beauty.I also use Beyond the Zone,Turn up the red color gloss.If u have red colored, u have to keep it up.I do hair to,so I know alot about hair.If u have bleached hair,u would have to leave this on about 45 mins.Bleached hair fades when u color over it.On another note,I don't have to recolor my yet.It's been a month.I usally have to color or do something just after a week.I don't have to with this product.It's way less damage than reg. hair color.

on 12/28/2011 1:48:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

I mixed two blondeish red shades together, despite having medium to dark hair. I've read you should always use a shade lighter than the color you want with demi permanent hair color. Unfortunately the developer has peroxide in it, so of course it's damaging. I only can tell when I shower though, and my hair is wet, before conditioner. It becomes a tangled mess, and feels coarse. Conditioner makes it feel normal, and once I style it, it's much shinier than it was before I dyed it. I've washed it 3 times and still see haircolor washing out. This was the messiest dye I've ever applied to my hair. By the way, my hair was completely virgin, I had dyed it in the past but let it grow out 6 years. It still got damaged, and of course the roots are brighter than the ends. I really want the color to fade, it's really vivid which I guess is a good thing, but looks so unnatural right now.

on 11/6/2011 7:30:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I bought this in light golden brown and it turned out dark dark brown lol it doesn't look bad I like it and I've gotten a lot of compliments already! I would use it and buy it again its $3.49 with your sallys card. I would suggest to becarful when choosing the color because they run dark but I'm sure you can keep washing it till you lighten it to the shade you like. Good product especially for the price.

on 4/30/2011 8:22:00 PM

Performs no better/worse than other demis.

My issue was with the color itself; I used 6RC ("dark copper blond"/6.4 which should have been screaming orange-based copper) to refresh the middle/ends my level 6 reddish brown hair. I knew it would be a level or two darker right away...that's fine, I'm happy to wait a couple weeks.

However, like many have complained about this color elsewhere, it has a notable pink/violet base to it, which must be the red in it, a particularly cool toned red, which is completely at odds with what the swatch looks like and what I've experienced with other brands.

I do not like fakey burgundy/cool toned dark reds so this wasn't for me. True to form, it did wash out after 2.5 months or so, so nothing lost.

on 5/10/2010 3:20:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I now color my hair a dark natural brown.This stuff really works.it has saved my hair.I use to color my hair red with other products. I love how soft my hair is now.I rather keep my hair dark.The red was damaging.b/c I had to lighten it to get it that bright red.I have colored my hair dark for so long that it's hard to get my hair very light.My hair looks so natural now.Before people would always ask if I was a real readhead.Nobody ask about this color.My skin is too dark for bright red.The smell of this is very nice & i don' t have to color it often.It lasts so long.I use to have to color with the red every 3 weeks.Now,it's every 2 mos or longer.I love it! I will always use this stuff no matter what color i do.I also use a color shampoo for choc. hair color,it's so pretty! This saves me from getting it done at a Salon to.I paid 130.00 before at a Salon.It turned out better with this stuff. at only about 9.00 total.

on 3/13/2015 8:42:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I initially wrote a lengthy review but as I've got some updates I'll just sum it up with an ol fashion list of pros and cons:

PROS:
1. The developer smells nice thus mixed with the colorant you still get that chemical smell but it's slightly masked by a green applesque scent.
2. The colorant is usually 4.49 with a Sally's card but many times they're BOGO or you can buy the color and get free developer to boot.
3. The colorant tubes have the ounces marked on the side thus you can use say half of the 2 oz package and save the rest for another application or root touch up.
4. You can re-use the colorant even if you've opened it (I've done this months later..which Idk is good or bad in the professional world.)
5. Ion brand comes with many different additives for their shades including intensifiers, pre color treatments, after color sealers, etc, all of which are pretty effective, inexpensive, and make coloring hair pretty idiot proof.
6. *****YOU DON'T HAVE TO USE ONLY DEMI SHADES FOR DEMI COLOR. unlike Wella brand which has specific 'developing lotion' for their demi shades, Ion is okay to use with any generic developer and their own in varying 10-40 Volume. THUS, you can use ANY ION SHADE with a 10 volume developer and achieve the demi perks, i.e less damage, more color deposit, no lift (best for hair of same shade or darker, TEN VOL WILL NOT LIGHTEN, demi color or not)

sounds pretty great, right?
Here's the cons:

1. I find the ion creme (cream?) color DOES NOT easily mix with the developer so strictly tinting brush and bowl = wrist cramping and frustration. you're best bet is to purchase an applicator bottle, which are relatively cheap at Sallys, and shake it up then pour into bowl.
2. Despite the developer being 'sensitive scalp' developer, I find it still irritates my scalp slightly, and I don't have overly sensitive skin or anything and I don't mind i mean, its chemicals, I've come to terms with it. But you definitely should patch test regardless of it's claims.
3. This is where it gets bad. The colors, demi or not, do not seem to EVER be true to description or swatch. Obv unless you're at virgin blonde hair, the swatch will not be your outcome. But if I use a 9A blonde, with a protein filler, I shouldn't get black hair.
4. Ion always leaves my hair dry and damaged. Granted, it's chemicals, and like I said I'm not kidding myself with the state of my hair before or after, but it takes a lot of deep conditioning and a lot of NOT heat styling to get my hair to look shiny and somewhat healthy.

ALL IN ALL:
I have been using Ion brand in permanent, semi permanent, and demi for a while. I've used the demi in various shades numerous times and my complaint isn't even like the rest in that the color comes out too dark (by now you should know to pick two shades lighter).
But I recently switched to Wella brand, and although I can't (I don't think) convert any Wella color I like to a demi shade, I do love the way it leaves my hair and the color/pigment/tones are all spot on.

Would I repurchase? Probably, it could happen. But I PREFER Wella.

on 3/9/2015 7:31:00 AM

I just colored my dry, damaged hair yesterday with the Ion demi-permanent black (1NA) hair color and it came out wonderfully! My hair doesn't feel or look dry OR damaged! However, I did use the Ion pre-color treatment as well as the after-color treatment since my previous hair color was very uneven from my last coloring that I did a few weeks ago using a box color from Wal-mart. I just hope that this color lasts its 24 shampoos like it is supposed to. I use the Pureology line for shampoo and conditioner so I'm sure that it will stay for awhile. I can't wait to color my hair again with the Ion line!