Ion Color Brilliance - Demi Permanent Hair Color

WATER ,CETEARYL ALCOHOL ,ETHANOLAMINE ,LAURETH-3 ,SODIUM LAURETH SULFATE ,TOLUENE-2,5-DIAMINE SULFATE ,OLETH-5 PHOSPHATE ,DIOLEYL PHOSPHATE ,SODIUM LAURYL SULFATE ,GLYCERYL STEARATE SE ,FRAGRANCE ,BEESWAX ,SODIUM SULFITE ,SODIUM SULFATE ,RESORCINOL ,2-METHYLRESORCINOL ,EDTA ,LIMNANTHES ALBA (MEADOWFOAM) SEED OIL ,ERYTHORBIC ACID ,P-AMINOPHENOL ,M-AMINOPHENOL ,SIMETHICONE ,4-AMINO-2-HYDROXYTOLUENE ,GLYCERIN ,ALPHA-ISOMETHYL IONONE ,2-AMINO-3-HYDROXYPYRIDINE ,TRITICUM VULGARE (WHEAT) GLUTEN ,LINALOOL ,CITRONELLOL ,GERANIOL

on 8/10/2010 11:54:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

Packaging is simple, but opens easily. The shades run darker so check a swatch and test on your own hair.

I'm a medium brunette, with some light to very light brown thrown in here or there (I expect to find them gray one day!) My hair tends to pull red. I recently had highlights done with out toning that I found less than stellar. I opted for this brand over Clairol due to the color swatch shown, it appeared to have a vibrant quality. The color I used to add pigment to the highlights was 6g (dark golden blonde).

It looks fantastic, it feels fantastic, and was very gentle on my hair. (I'm picky about haircolor, and even keep notes on them to prevent relapses!) It felt great after application, no tacky sticky feel, hair still retained it's fine soft texture. It coated well, and distributed evenly, color was true to swatch (even if not in name, I would call it a sun-tea color.) I did an all over application, and it left the unhighlighted portions glossy and deepened, more radiant if you will. The light catches in the hair--and I'm definitely pleased! There was no lightening of the unhighlighted area, truly deposit only. (product was left on for 10 minutes after application).

No complaints at all, except their idea of dark blonde and mine seem to differ--luckily swatches were given as a visual aid.

LOTS of product when mixed 1:2; I could have used half the portion (with left overs) to cover thick shoulder length hair.

on 8/8/2010 9:12:00 PM

I agree with everyone else, the color certainly runs a couple of shades darker, so be very careful when choosing your shade. Let me share my experience with all of you...

My hair is naturally curly, my natural hair color is a level 4 brown. Originally when I started to use this product, I bought either a level 4 or even a 3!!! While I didn't mind the darker shade of brown, with time, the ends started to look almost black compared to my roots. I had to do something to remedy the situation.

I decided to get highlights done to try and blend the dark color with some lighter tones in an attempt to get closer to my natural color level. This has worked well but needed a couple of visits to the salon for full foils before I really saw a difference. It was a much safer alternative than completely bleaching my hair and starting from scratch!

Needless to say, I've learned my lesson, I am not going to touch anything lower than a level 6 in this product, there are plenty of tones to choose from (natural dk blonde to dk copper blonde) depending on my mood. These colors blend beautifully with highlights. I did the copper blonde for a few months and just re-colored with dark golden blonde. This has yielded a beautiful shade of brown with tons of shine!! It's also pretty darn close to my natural color but better! I am very pleased with the results.

on 6/29/2010 12:18:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

I have been using this for a few years. Before this I was using the Wella Demi which I also had pretty good luck with.
I have about 50% gray at the crown and a few others mixed in. My normal level is about 5 (with gray). I tend to go orange, so want to counteract that and I previously experimented with 7N and some 7G (didn't like the results). I have also used 7N by itself w/developer, but that came out very dull on me.
I was in the mood to go darker (I know the outgrowth will be a negative), but I picked up 5N and 3RV, plus some clear color gloss and the 10 vol. developer.
I used a tube of 5N with a small dab (about an inch), of the 3RV (to counteract the gold tones), and then the developer to equal the color 1:1. This came out very dark on the roots, but I left it on over 30 min. Next time I would not let it go that long, maybe 20. Ended up the root area was a dark cherry cola shade which is beautiful, but more like a 4 level on me.
Then for the length I mixed 1:1 5N and 00 (Clear gloss) and ran that through and left on for 10 min. That did a good job of refreshing the length and producing shine.
~just remember to be careful about the level go a shade or two lighter until you find the level you like.
My hair is not damaged by this brand and I will continue to use it, since I like experimenting with customized shades.
The Ion Effective Care conditioner is really wonderful.
I can spend $10 and do my thick, shoulder length hair.

on 7/7/2015 1:25:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

This review is for the Ion Color Brilliance Intensive Shine Demi Permanent in the colour 6rc-6.4 Dark Copper Blonde. Before I start I wanna just say I'm Canadian, so you're going to see the Canadian spelling of the word "color" throughout this review, lol (just wanted to mention that in case people thought I was spelling it wrong the whole time). First my hair history is as follows: I had been having my hair coloured at a professional salon for months and months. The colour I had was a level 7 copper, so a shade lighter, but I wasn't pleased with it. The colourist, no matter what I said, did not process the lengths of my hair long enough, so my roots were always brighter and the lengths would wash out so quickly. With red hair, you have to refresh your entire head more often than other people do with other hair colours, and for some reason this colourist did not seem to understand that. I decided to try sally's and to achieve as similar a colour as possible on my own, so at first I used L'oreal Techniques Excellence Creme (Permanent) in the shade 7.43 Dark Copper Golden Blonde. That colour worked for a while, but when it faded it would become too light for my liking, but I did like how it looked fresh because it was a nice natural copper redhead shade. When it faded, it looked obviously unnatural and sort of too orangey. I decided I wanted to go a shade darker, and I had heard good things about this colour and brand from a youtuber. Her name is Bethany Fae, if you want to watch her video where she talks about this exact colour. I liked how her hair looked so I decided to give this a try. By the way, my natural colour is a level 7 light auburn. My hair is mostly light brown but with natural golden and copper highlights. So I tried this colour and noticed numerous things. Firstly, it didn't take to my roots as well as permanent colour does. Secondly, while it did not take to my roots as well as the lengths, the colour at my roots looked a bit more vibrant and red-red than my lengths, but I could still see a bit of my natural colour peaking through a tiny bit right at the scalp. I don't mind this too much because my natural hair colour seems to blend fairly well with this shade. The lengths and ends of my hair looked more copper, but this difference was very very slight and only visible under certain lighting. At first, I hated this colour. I was in shock because it was a big difference. I did not have the experience of it going black or super dark, like many others report with this colour, it was the right darkness for my liking and accurate to the swatch at sally's. I felt, however, that the colour was too bright and scary and not natural looking. It is not my goal to look like Rihanna, or Jessica Rabbit, and I do not want neon or super true red hair. I freaked out and thought it looked like that (it didn't, it was just too bright at first but not that bright). My goal is to achieve a natural looking colour that a real redhead might have. It was, however, extremely soft and shiny and healthy looking, much more so then when I used permanent colour. After washing it a few times, however, the colour is much better. It looks very natural now, a nice copper redhead shade and it's not too dark, but also not too light. I have washed it probably about 5 times now, and the colour does not have a faded look. Those who colour often know what I mean by that. When a colour is fresh it looks rich and shiny, but once it fades it becomes less believable and dull. That has not happened, and it looks much more natural and rich then it did at first. I think next time I will leave it on my hair for less time. I left it on for 25 minutes, with 10% developer. I think next time I will try 15-20 minutes. I might have a different opinion after I use it for a second time, so I will update this probably in the future. But at the moment, the shine and health is still there, even after washing. A lot of the time with permanent colour the hair looks shiny when it's freshly done, but as you wash it the shine goes away. That has not happened, and I think hair colour looks better and more natural when the condition of the hair is good. With that, I think for a demi permanent this colour is really good. You just have to pick the right shade, and do a strand test to make sure it's the right colour before you put it on your entire head. I did do a strand test, but I only left it on for 20 minutes, so I think next time I will do that on my whole head. If you really need your roots completely covered, or you have greys, I don't know if this will work for you. But there is no harm in doing a strand test to figure that out. Don't just go into it blindly and put it on your hair without checking it first on a small strand. You are a lot less likely to have a disaster that way.

UPDATE:
I just coloured my hair for the second time with this product and shade. This colour lastsssss. It's really weird actually, because when I used permanent colour the colour would fade and fade, but with this it really doesn't fade too bad. It's been 5 weeks since I coloured the first time, and there is no clear line of demarcation that I get with permanent colour, the roots blend really well and don't look super gross. The colour faded to a really nice, coppery but natural redhead shade, and didn't need much touching up. I decided that this time I would dilute the colour with clear, to make the immediate result more natural and more similar to how it looks after washing a few times. I followed the directions for how to dilute with the clear, and it look absolutely perfect now. It doesn't look like that super scary colour it did when I coloured the first time, but it did refresh the colour and deepen it a little. It did not, however, go as dark as it did when I first did it, so if you really want the darkness you might need to go a shade darker or skip the clear if you like the vibrance of the shade on its own.

on 5/14/2015 6:51:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

For years I had been doing my hair with permanent color from the drugstore. Usually Garnier Nutrisse or Revlon Colorsilk. Since I got my hair cut short and its in such great shape, I decided to try a demi permanent color from Sallys. I was hoping this would cause less damage to my hair.
I had medium golden brown hair to start and I bought 7WR (Medium Warm Red Blonde) in Ion Color Brilliance Demi Permanent Color. I mixed it with Ion Sensitive Scalp Developer in a 1:2 ratio and let it sit on my hair 25 minutes. The results were dark brown hair with a touch of red. I deliberately chose two shades lighter than the color I wanted and it still came out too dark. The color isn't bad with my complexion but its not what I hoped to achieve. I wanted a medium reddish brown color. The good thing is this demi permanent color and will wash out in about a month's time.
There were a few good things about this product. It was easy to apply, very gentle on my hair,didn't burn my scalp and the color came out a very rich dark brown and shiny. Next time I will try a lighter color.

on 3/9/2015 7:31:00 AM

I just colored my dry, damaged hair yesterday with the Ion demi-permanent black (1NA) hair color and it came out wonderfully! My hair doesn't feel or look dry OR damaged! However, I did use the Ion pre-color treatment as well as the after-color treatment since my previous hair color was very uneven from my last coloring that I did a few weeks ago using a box color from Wal-mart. I just hope that this color lasts its 24 shampoos like it is supposed to. I use the Pureology line for shampoo and conditioner so I'm sure that it will stay for awhile. I can't wait to color my hair again with the Ion line!

on 4/15/2014 7:37:00 AM

Did not like this at all! Did not cover my grey! Washed right out and left me with ash grey roots! Iam a natural darker blonde and used the 8n, left it on for 35-40 mins and when I wased it out I could still see grey right away! It didn't burn ,but it didn't accomplish anything either! I am going back to ion permanant color, I have used that for years, just thought this might be a bit gentler on my scalp!

on 3/25/2014 9:12:00 PM

First timer and I really like it. Was told to go a step lighter than my natural shade. While it looks great, next time will do some mixing and go a step and a half lighter. But very pleased with the color and results. Great gray coverage and I'm probably 50-60%. Hair has depth and shine. Initially when my scalp and face started to break out in blisters when professionally colored in the salon, my colorist insisted that my problem was the developer. But I'd done my research, and knew it was the PPD. I used Jazzing prior to this and despite using heat and leaving on for almost 90 min, it just barely took. This product is exactly what I was looking for- takes beautifully.

on 1/24/2014 3:30:00 AM

Medium Ash Blonde 7NA. I am reverting from henna to my natural medium/dark brown color. I used some indigo to tone the red but it was still peeking through. I used greenish/teal manic panic to tone but red still peeking through. I found this laying in my drawer from my blonde days and thought what the hay, at least it's 'ASH'. Mixed 1:2 - color:10 vol and applied for 25 min. It has toned down the red considerably and left me with a warm dark brown. Yes... Medium blonde left me with dark brown. And warning: when they say ash they mean it. Shower run-off and skin stains were green. Which is exactly what I needed and ill definitely buy again to refresh til my natural color grows in, but if you're light blonde or something this will probably turn your hair dark and green. My first time using a Demi color instead of permanent with the lower developer and I'm very pleased; my hair is not damaged. Will use again and again til that pesky red is gone!

on 9/27/2012 9:02:00 AM

First off, I want to say that I usually have a hard time keeping my hair red.That all changed when I found this.I got it in Light burgundy blonde & I love it! I don't wash my hair everyday.I wash every other day.I use Reviting Reds Shampoo & Cond. from Sallys Beauty.I also use Beyond the Zone,Turn up the red color gloss.If u have red colored, u have to keep it up.I do hair to,so I know alot about hair.If u have bleached hair,u would have to leave this on about 45 mins.Bleached hair fades when u color over it.On another note,I don't have to recolor my yet.It's been a month.I usally have to color or do something just after a week.I don't have to with this product.It's way less damage than reg. hair color.