Shu Uemura Brow Pencil

4.6

hydrogenated castor oil, stearic acid, cera microcristallina/microcrystalline wax, candelilla cera/candelilla wax, carnauba/carnauba wax, rhus succedanea/rhus succedanea fruit wax, hydrogenated coconut oil, hydrogenated palm kernal oil, [ /-may contain: mica, CI 77492, CI 77491, CI 77499/iron oxides, CI 77891/titanium dioxide]

on 12/29/2008 2:26:00 PM

This pencil is amazing!

My sparse, uneven, shapeless, archless brows have been the bane of my existence ever since I realized how important brows were to the overall look of the face. A wise person once told me that if I only have a minute to do my face in the morning, I should always make sure my brows are presentable. I think it really is true that brows frame the face, and that they can definitely make or break your look. I have spent hours and hours thinking about what product to try next, or what I can do to fix my awful brows.

I am brow stupid. I get them threaded because I can't tweeze them without completely ruining the shape. I've tried to fill them in with shadows, but they're never quite the right color, and I have difficulty getting the perfect shape with an angled brush. Pencils never work either, because they're often too orange, look artificial, or apply unevenly.

After reading all these reviews, and after unsuccessfully stalking the swap section for months, I finally took the plunge and ordered the pencil sight-unseen from the Shu website. I'm kicking myself for waiting so long! This pencil is amazing. I won't repeat much of what others have said because they're spot on. Somehow it doesn't show up on your hand, but looks beautiful on brows. It has helped me create a stronger arch and has filled in my bald spots, and it looks completely natural. I've even been able to play a little with the shape without looking like I've been attacked by a sharpie.

At $22, I think it's a bit pricey. But I have used this daily (ok, ok, several times a day. I like to put it on, take it off, and do it again), and after two weeks, the point is only slightly dulled. I think I could go for at least 1-2 months without sharpening. I really think this thing will last me until I'm too old to care what my brows look like.

I ordered Seal Brown, and I'm a NW20 with dark brown hair and medium brown brows. Seal Brown is pretty cool, and like I said, it doesn't have the orange in it that many pencils tend to have.

on 12/25/2008 10:33:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm

Bought this after reviews this is defintely my HG pencil. It lasts a long time I rarely need to sharpen it. You can never over apply as it looks so natural.
UPDATE: They no longer carry it in department stores but you can go to their website and order it. I cannot live without this!!

on 12/13/2008 12:57:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is definitely something u want to try. Love it! It draws your brow very naturally.
The only 2 problems i have are that i can't make the pencil slanted like when i first had them (there is no shu uemura counter near me anymore!) and because i have oily skin, it melts a little at the end of the day.

on 12/9/2008 5:14:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

I purchased the brow pencil in Seal Brown based on reviews here. I've never used a pencil before; I've always used powder and a brush to complete my brows. This pencil was comparable, not amazing. My eyebrows aren't very full and they end a bit short of where they should be, so what I really needed was for a pencil that would draw on the skin without hair and stay on--this one didn't. It would draw a line, but disappeared just like the powder did. If I didn't need that extra line, this pencil would be fine for just filling in sparser areas and I would repurchase, but since I do, I won't be coming back to this one, especially since it is expensive at $22.

on 12/5/2008 11:59:00 AM

Of all the items in my makeup bag, this is the only one that i completely trust to work every time. The hard texture of this pencil is crucial to how naturally it reworks your brows. Like many have mentioned, it doesn't seem to give much colour when u scratch it against your hand, but on the eyebrows it somehow works very comfortably and gives u a lot of room for revision - on days when i'm too groggy and overdo things, i simply take a tissue and rub off the errors. This is actually my very first brow product - highly recommended to me by a makeup artist who emphasised to me that the brows can make or break a face. For being so inexperienced with filling in brows, i feel that this is a very forgiving pencil with which a beginner can easily practise with. Finally, it is real value for money, and I can safely say it will be another 2 years before I even think about getting a new one!

on 11/14/2008 1:47:00 PM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

This eyebrow pencil is my all time HG brow product! Honestly I donít know what Iíll do without this item (love it so much, its ridiculous!) But in my case its essential, cuz I do really have a funny looking only half weird eyebrows (thanx dad!) =P
I use the color Seal Brown and its perfect for my dark/black brows and asian complexion. The color is very natural soft grayish brown black color. Most eyebrows pencils are either too black or too brown (reddish) for my coloring, so it would looks fake. But this one is not and looks really natural, like I was born with this perfect eyebrow!
The consistency is harder than normal pencil, so if you swipe it on your hand it will barely shows up. On my face however that have an oilier complexion, its shows up just fine.
Before this pencil I was using the Chanel Perfect Brows and I must admit it did gave me a slightly better, perhaps more polish brows. However the Chanel one (powders) was more time consuming and messier to use. The Shu brow pencil is easy to use and within one minute Iím done. Just slowly draw short fine short strokes to fill in and shape your brows, after that brush it a bit with a brow brush to blend it in better.
It also last a really long time on my brows. It is not waterproof and it will fade if you accidentally wipe it. But if you donít touch your face, it will last and last all day long. I have an oily t-zone and on me this pencil doesnít smudge or fade, its fabulous!
And one pencil has last me for over 2years now, with everyday usage. So in the long run, this pencil is really a bargain. Again, its fabulous! (now I really need to stop..hehehe..)

on 11/12/2008 7:32:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Medium

The absolute BEST brow pencil or brow ANYTHING I have ever used (and I am an eyebrow EXPERT who has tried and perfected just about everything out there in between bad plucking and brow growth training (making them grow how I want them instead of they they naturally come in...).

This could NOT look more natural! Finally, my brows look like the models in photos...my hair, my shape, but perfected! Will never live without.

I use it in Brown (which is plenty dark - Seal Brown would have been too dark for me) and Acorn (slightly lighter) when I want to make my thick well arched brows a little more subtle and a little lighter (very small difference between the shades when applied, but it IS there).

This stuff is expensive, but you rarely need to sharpen it, so spending $44 (for both) - $88 bucks a year on my brows seems like nothing when cheaper powders, good brushes and lesser pencils cost much more in the long run.

You MUST know how to apply this and it takes a little work (and patience as you have a to use it a few times before you really get the desired effect - it has to be used/sharpened for it to work properly in my experience). But for results like this, trust me, spend the money and spend the time. How I look is a large part of how I make my living and I will NEVER be without this pencil again - can you say NATURAL???

on 10/24/2008 2:20:00 AM

It is definitely the best! Mine is brown and it looks very natural on my brows!! and you don't need to always sharpen it =) great product!

on 9/23/2008 6:03:00 PM

I don't think I ever have the option of buying it again. I've been using this for 3 months now everyday and have not sharpened it once! This is definitely the best product from shu uemura. I'm an Asian with black hair and it was difficult for me to find a grey/black brow powder/pencil. After doing some lengthy research I decided to buy this and brow powder in charcoal from clinique.
This is a grey pencil that will only show up on your brows, does not show up on your hand at all. It's just grey with no red/yellow tone in it. Regrettably the clinique powder, although it's grey in the pan, shows up with a slight yellow tone on photos. I use shu's brow pencil on a daily basis and use the clinique powder when I use blue eyeshadows.

on 9/8/2008 9:48:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

Words cannot describe how AWESOME this product is! This is definitely the BEST brow pencil ever in this world! I use the colour 'Seal Brown' and it's a PERFECT match for my eyebrows. The look is VERY natural without the harshness of other brow defining products out there! It glides on smoothly and stays put all day. Love it! Will buy it again and again!! My HG brow pencil/product!

Since I found Cle de Peau brow pencil I will not be repurchasing this one.

Popular Brows Products