August 20, 2014 | 1338 users online

Liquid - NARS - Sheer Glow Foundation

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/7/2014 10:35:00 AM More reviews by Lomelindi

I recieved this as a gift so I can't comment on the price. I'm a very yellow NC25 and matched the shade Fiji perfectly. (Thank you for making yellow shades, Nars!) I like the sturdy, short glass bottle, but I wish this product came with a pump so I could dispense it without tipping it over on my hand.

The formula is quite liquidy and thin, but it provided great medium coverage. I apply this foundation using a flat-topped brush to buff it into my skin or a damp Beautyblender to stipple it on. Since it's so thin, you can easily layer it to give more coverage without it becoming cakey.

The finish is dewy and natural, although more demi-matte after I set it with powder. The staying power on my oily skin was surprisingly good, somewhere around 10 hours before noticeable fading. There was some oiliness that showed up around my T zone after a few hours, but this is normal for most foundations on me and I just added some powder to fight it off. I did like how natural this foundation looked since it wasn't deathly matte and still provided good coverage without empahsizing flakes. However, I think the slight dewiness drew attention to my large pores and bumpy skin.

Overall, I think this is a great foundation. It's not the best thing since sliced bread and it may be an issue for people with very uneven skin, but it looks beautiful in person and also in photographs.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/7/2014 4:36:00 AM More reviews by berdil

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

It left me with patchier skin than before I put it on.light coverage...

rated 3 of 5 on 4/22/2014 6:18:00 AM More reviews by NumbersInAction

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I just bought this after years of seeing YT'ers rave about it. It's quite nice, I feel it leaves my skin looking youthful/baby faced. It certainly leaves skin radiant. However it doesn't last that well, and as one might expect from the name, it's not great coverage. Not sure I will buy again. I'm Deauville in colour, which was the perfect match for me. I had switched from Garnier BB cream Light, which had become too dark for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/20/2014 4:57:00 AM More reviews by theperoxideprincess

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

My friend recommended this foundation to me. I was using Clinique at the time and I was having problems with it because the foundation had a reddish undertone. In fact, I had that problem with most foundations (department store and drug store). My friend told me that she had the same problem and that NARS had several foundations with yellow undertones. So I decided to give it a try and it was the best decision I've ever made!

NARS Sheer Glow Foundation blends in so well with my skin color. You literally cannot tell that I'm wearing makeup. It lasts all day and I really mean it (I wear makeup for 8+ hours). It really helps cover up my acne scars too. My only complaint is that the bottle doesn't come with a pump, you have to buy that separately.

Tips:
Try to buy the foundation in store and not online so you can make sure it's the right shade
Always apply moisturizer before applying the foundation
To get a flawless matte look, apply NARS translucent powder over the foundation with a powder brush

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/17/2014 6:00:00 PM More reviews by 5inheels

Since the discontinuation of Prescriptive, I have been on the hunt for foundation. Tried many brands, from Lancome, ELDW, Bobbie Brown, Make-Up-Forever, La Mer, Armani etc..but none of them work for various reasons. Too dry, too oily, too chalky, colors are wrong etc...wasted so much money, every bottle was half used or not used.

About 3 months ago, stopped by the NARS counter for a make over. This was one of the foundations I tried. I did not buy it immediately because I wanted to make sure the color (punjab) and other properties are right. I took two very generous samples (Punlab and Stromboli) home from Nordstrom to try. My color is mac 25/30. La Mer Neutral ( too dark) Armani silk 6.5. All of these colors from other brands were not perfect. My skin is hard to match, my neck is lighter than my face, dark age spots, yellow uneven skin tone. Oily in the summer dry in the winter. ELDW was the worst for color for me even thought they have 30 shades...!

The Punjab is slightly light, but good for winter. Stromboli is ever slightly dark. Both colors look perfect in indoor light. I could only tell the difference when I am driving and stare at my face in the mirror in direct sunlight.

I brought both colors.

My routine:
Wash face
La mer toner (any non alcohol toner would work)
Moisturize with SPF 30 moisturizer, wait for it to dry while I do eye make up.
Primer - I use different type depending on my mood
Apply NARS Sheer Glow with the Shiseido perfect foundation brush and fingers to smooth the brush marks.
Set with NARS translucent powder

Lasts all day from 7 to 7.
On days I run 6 miles, foundation still lasts thru the sweats. (Has been tested)
Medium coverage, still allows some dark spots to show thru. But it looks like skin..feels comfortable.

Best foundation so far. Great color range. If color looks darker or lighter, I feel like it adjusts to your skin tone.

The only con is no pump. I ordered one but its back ordered until May 3.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/17/2014 10:23:00 AM More reviews by Emma13

Colour: I was tempted to buy Nars foundation online but held back because I was afraid of getting the wrong colour. I was so right! Last month I passed by a Nars counter in London and finally managed to test sheer glow. I tested 3 shades: Deauville, Fiji and Ceylan; it took a couple of tries in neutral daylight to get it right because they were so close to each other. I settled on Ceylan because of its yellow tone, Deauville was more pink and Fiji a bit too dark. I am happy to say that Ceylan is a very good match for my hard-to-match skin. It is the perfect colour to neutralise the pink in my face (I matched it exactly to my neck). If you are not yellow-toned you will probably prefer Deauville.

Texture: quite liquid, not sheer but more light-medium. Not glowy, but very skin-like and natural. The only drawback for me is that on the side of my nose it tends to sink into the pores a bit, and it doesn't build up well. That is okay though because the skin-like finish is so lovely; you can always use concealer for spot-coverage.

Smell: none as far as I can tell.
Packaging: annoying glass bottle without a pump. Looks nice but impractical.

Wear: pretty good actually. My combination skin gets shiny in the t-zone pretty quickly, and there is very little I can do about that; matifying foundations tend to be too dry and cakey. I always set this with loose powder. BB pale yellow is a perfect match colourwise, although its oil-controlling properties are not that great (I'm sure with a better powder it would hold all day). The main thing is it stays natural and does not cake during the day.

I am very impressed with this product. Will definitely buy again and probably get the concealer to match.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/16/2014 9:13:00 PM More reviews by xogingerox

Its pricey, but it works well for me. I don't think I'd repurchase because 1) I'm not finished experimenting with other foundations 2) hella $$ 3)wtf..there's no pump. Inconvenient. I need to stress that I am a really low-maintenance girl who just likes to have one superpower product. I don't use face primer, even though the SA at Sephora gave me a sample to try (I didn't notice a difference). I don't need makeup to stay on for too long, in fact, I get a little paranoid that the product is damaging my skin by clinging on so I don't mind if it kind of fades later in the day. That being said, I do not notice this product melting off my face in any way but it does come off nicely with baby oil (yes, that's my makeup remover, don't knock it til you try it). I like that the coverage, with one coat, is light to medium, hiding my slight discoloration and blemishes. It makes my face look uniform and the "sheer glow" part keeps me looking fresh and not like I caked on makeup. I have tried applying this product with my fingers and with my Everyday Minerals flat top brush and find the latter to work better in ensuring an even coverage. I top it off with a light dusting of powder (e.l.f studio HD powder) and am extremely happy with the results. Its a good product not revolutionary, and just too expensive for a post-secondary student for future repurchases. But if you have cash to blow, then I'd recommend you try this foundation

rated 5 of 5 on 4/13/2014 5:17:00 PM More reviews by MsNikolefm

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I recently purchased this foundation after reading so many reviews & watching videos, I'm nc30 in mac studio fix fluid & Barcelona in nars for me this is the perfect match.
I wouldn't say it's sheer at all or very glowy it's more a semi matte finish with a slight glow & it's medium build able coverage. I used this on a night out for the first time & set it with mac minerlize skinfinish natural & got so many compliments on my skin ! It's now my hg foundation... Ive always wore mac but decided a change was needed I tried Estée Lauder double wear but it was too heavy & cake a bit and I found it slightly oxidises thorough out the day which nars doesn't do..
I would defo repurchase for me the pros out way the cons
Cons: NO PUMP which for £30 is ridiculous
The price is luxery so it's a treat for most people.

I was advised by the nars makeup artist to warm this between my fingers then apply to my face, blend and then buff with a brush which seems to be working & looks flawless. For people who this would be a luxery item I'd suggest having a make over done using it & walk around for a few hours see how it settles on your skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/13/2014 5:31:00 AM More reviews by ughlexuh

I truly do love this foundation. it is kind of pricey but I find that I do not need a lot, however I like a light coverage. If you are looking to splurge on yourself I would recommend this product. I am a MAC nw20 and wear the color mont blanc. The lasting power on this is great too! and I do not find that I need to touch up throughout the day.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/7/2014 10:58:00 PM More reviews by j4ym3

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Black

NARS Sheer Glow has definitely been a foundation favourite of mine for the past 5 years - I can always count on this foundation to give my face a long lasting, flawless, naturally dewy looking finish.

I prefer fuller coverage foundations and this foundation certainly provides me with the desired coverage that I seek. Although this is not a true full coverage foundation, it is still easily a higher end medium coverage foundation without having to use an excessive amount of product to achieve a fuller level of coverage.

The consistency of the foundation is very light and runny. So therefore unlike many other foundations, you can take your time applying this foundation as it takes awhile to dry on the skin, making it easier to blend and build while working with this foundation.

After I apply my NARS Sheer Glow foundation, going over it with a setting powder & finishing it off with a light spritz of a good setting spray is an absolute must for me. I have combination skin (on the oiler side through summer) and find that without setting powder, my face (especially t-zone) can get quite oily, leaving my face looking noticeably shinny/slippery within just a few hours after application. Having said that, I am unsure how well this foundation would work on oilier skin types, but for those with dry or combination skin, this foundation should work magically.

I personally think the colour range for this foundation is sufficient in catering for most if not all skin tones. I find that unlike many other foundation brands, NARS Sheer Glow provides really great yellow based foundation that are perfect for those who have strong yellow undertones.

For me, there isn’t any con’s to this foundation that I can think of, besides the thin glass bottle that the foundation comes in, as well as the fact that it doesn’t come with a hygienic foundation pump (sold separately).

NARS Sheer Glow foundation is sold here in Australia for $68.00 and can be found at Mecca Cosmetica. It is quite an expensive foundation, however having said that, I am currently on my 12th+ bottle and I do intend to continue repurchasing this for as long as I can afford too.

For Ref: MAC NC30/35 - NARS Sheer Glow Stormboli