December 19, 2014 | 1008 users online

Lipstick - Revlon - Super Lustrous Matte - Really Red

rated 5 of 5 on 11/19/2012 4:27:00 PM More reviews by Ehrial

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I LOVE this red. I never thought I could pull off a red like this and turns out that I can! It looks great applied straight out of the tube and evened out with your finger. I happen to be wearing this colour the day/moment I got engaged so maybe I'm a little biased but it's a beautiful shade of red and so many wonderful memories will always be attached to this lipstick. (And of course I will be wearing another beautiful shade of Revlon on my wedding day).

rated 4 of 5 on 11/12/2012 4:22:00 PM More reviews by ags08044

Okay, well, I have never written a review for a makeup product before, but decided today after revisiting Revlon Really Red that I should do so. I am a somewhat harsh grader, but don't let that fool you into thinking this isn't a worthwhile product. Since moving to Montreal I have been on a lipstick binge of sorts. I just want to wear it all the time.
I bought Revlon Really Red off of Amazon before leaving the States, as a "starter red," upon reading that it is a dupe for Ruby Woo, a favorite among many.
I liked it, enough to continue on to try on Mac's Ruby Woo and eventually purchase Mac's Russian Red (I have naturally VERY dry and flakey lips).
Let me just say this, upon wearing this today for the first time since buying Russian Red and Kiss Me Quick Liner: this is MUCH more comfortable on the lips. This, of course, is not moisturizing, but it does not cake into the lips as much as Ruby Woo or Russian Red does for me, and I BARELY feel as if I have anything on. I put it on over Kiss Me Quick, and the bright effect is just enough to look as if I might be wearing Ruby Woo comfortably (which I never will).
I don't mean for this to put down Mac products. It doesn't. If I were planning on going out drinking and eating and possibly a messy night, I would wear Russian Red for it's staying power (not transferring onto cups or men, etc). However, since I was only going to the library today, this is perfect. I blotted it so that it looks more like a stain, and I can say that Revlon has a repeat customer for this product (not that I'll probably ever use a full tube). I love Revlon products, and this is a great, GREAT product. I am going to start wearing this more often again.
NYX Hot Red (I believe is what it is called), is a good liner to pair with this, but I think that maybe investing in a better lipliner for us dry-lipped ladies would be better. I want my lipstick to stay put, so lining and filling my lips before applying out of the bullet (dabbing mostly), is a must.
If you have not bought this lipstick, and you want a reliable, teeth-whiter, not too dark, not TOO TOO bright lip, this is a great option for you. My lips look velvet-y soft right now and they feel that way too. I find that topping lipsticks with glosses is disastrous for me, and I prefer matte finishes anyways. Good starter pin-up dramatic red. I don't think this is exactly "formal," but it is so fun and it grabs attention for sure, depending on how you apply it (sharp lines or blotted).

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/9/2012 8:28:00 PM More reviews by elat33179

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

YES!!!!!!!! Finally a red that looks fabulous on me! I am cool toned, fair skinned (NW25) blonde and this red is so awesome, I can even wear it in the daytime without looking like a hooker. When it wears off, it leaves a really pretty stain.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/8/2012 8:09:00 PM More reviews by Karowin

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I have purchased from Revlon's Matte lipstick line before, and decided to purchase Really Red. One of the first things I noticed was how pigmented it is and it's staying power. I have a warm skin tone and was first worried that it wouldn't suit me, but I'm glad I made the choice of this lipstick. This is going to be my staple red color, I could see myself putting it into my everyday basic look. I would definitely repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/1/2012 7:30:00 PM More reviews by sarahcoop

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Just to add some more love here...this is a great red. I have a really hard time with red lipsticks...they tend to turn pink on me really easily. The undertones of this work wonderfully to create a true red. It's bright and bold, and I feel prettier with it on. Teeth look super white. Cheap. No drying effects. Get a good lip liner though, just to prevent any feathering. Love!!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/25/2012 1:06:00 PM More reviews by MsScarlet

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I bought this lipstick a while ago for a costume. I wanted a matte, retro red that wasn't going to break my budget. I looked on MUA and this shade popped up, and I snagged it at a drugstore with a $1 off coupon.

I own more than a few red lipsticks/stains/glosses, but Revlon's Really Red is by far the best and my go-to lipstick for a dramatic lip. It's creamy, full-coverage, and completely matte; perfect for retro/pinup looks. The red is bright and clear, not red-orange or dark red-burgundy (both orange-tinted lipsticks and deep red/burgundy lipsticks look terrible on my super pale skin).

I would suggest buying a matching red lip liner to preserve the color for an all-night event and make the edges precise (I have revlon's colorstay lipliner in red, but I wouldn't give that as high a rating as the lipstick because mine keeps breaking off in chunks). Also, make sure to set your lipstick with some translucent powder or a setting spray. And DON'T USE ANY GLOSS OR BALM! It will make your lipstick slide off, smear, and/or get on your teeth. So make sure to moisturize and exfoliate your lips really well *before* applying because if you want the color to stay all night, you won't want to use any kind of sticky product.

As a consequence, the Revlon lipstick can be a bit drying, but if you take proper effort to exfoliate and moisturize beforehand and reapply/touch up your lips when you start to feel the dryness/flakies, it isn't much of a problem.

In sum, I love love love this lipstick. Absolutely stunning color on my pale skin, full coverage, and a classic matte finish. What more could you want?

rated 5 of 5 on 9/27/2012 1:05:00 PM More reviews by 4misstish

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

As a natural red-head it can be sometimes hard to find a shae that looks good witthout confilicting with my hair color. However I had heard so many good things about this shade I decided to give it a try. WOW! I was so impressed! I love this shade and it works great with my red hair. The color is ideal and i can't believe I have finally found a red that i can love. It's a perfect matte shade without feeling or looking to dry. I simply can't recommend this enough.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/19/2012 9:21:00 AM More reviews by mikaavila94

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I swatched Ruby Woo next to this and found that this was definitely much creamier without sacrificing the amazing pigmentation and same matte finish. On my medium brown skin, putting this lipstick on in its full opacity almost literally brightens my whole face; I suddenly feel a shade or two lighter, as well as though I had glistening white teeth. But it is a full on red, a very in your face red, so you've been warned. It makes you look amazing but it is in no way subdued. It's wearable if you want a bold lip on purpose. As for the wear of it, it lasted pretty long throughout the day. From morning to evening I only reapplied thrice, and only to fix the corners of my mouth, which is where it would fade a bit. It's a little bit dry in the long run so be sure to moisturize your lips beforehand but I find that retouching with the same lipstick makes me feel moisturized enough, no need to top with a balm or gloss. I would buy this again if I ran out but not to stock up, since I'd like to explore more wearable colors.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/12/2012 8:44:00 AM More reviews by OMGURTEEF

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Would I buy this product again? Yes, and I have. Just bought my second tube, because this is the ONLY lipstick I have EVER used up! I absolutely love this color. It's perfect against my complexion, which tends to be fair-ish with cool leanings. It has a warmer tone to it than some other reds I've used, and I like that because it's more classic and not overpowering.
I've often heard that this is an exact dupe for MAC's Russian Red. Having never actually used Russian Red, I can't attest to that, but I can say that all the photos I've seen online confirm that rumor. However, I wouldn't say it's a dupe in texture. I've been using this lipstick for two years now with absolutely no drying on my lips (it's actually surprisingly moisturizing), but any MAC lipstick I've used - matte or otherwise - has left my lips feeling like paper-mache. (I've used Diva and Creme d'Nude and they both have actually caused my lips to crack and bleed, even with a healthy dose of exfoliation and lip balm underneath.) Revlon's little tube of wonder, however, doesn't cause my lips to dry out AT ALL. The texture is creamy and feels comfortable on my lips - not waxy or heavy. And, wonder of wonders, it DOESN'T FEATHER! That alone is a win! Every red I've used ever has always feathered, even with lip liner. (Must have been all those years of smoking.) This one doesn't. I don't have to use a lip liner (I still do to make my lips a bit fuller-looking) - I can just swipe this baby on from the tube and I'm good to go.
This review has been way too long. I just can't help but rave about this great product. The price is amazing and the lipstick itself is to die for.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/18/2012 1:29:00 AM More reviews by GucciDiva

Wonderful red.
I am very pale, with neutral, slightly yellow undertones. Many reds look screechy on me, with either too much blue or too much orange. I've never been able to find a rich deep red that doesn't look overpowering on me. This is beautiful. It is just a luscious neutral RED. It doesn't look screechy. It does look dramatic, but in a beautiful luxurious way. Mattes are the best formula for red because you do NOT want a red that moves around. This stays put.

I get it to look perfect by applying concealer around my lips, then dabbing this on with my fingers. Then, I blot it, and apply another coat, and gently blot again. This leaves a beautiful rich red, but a bit flat for my taste. I add a tiny dab of NARS Bleecker lip gloss to the center of my bottom lip (any pigmented red lip gloss will work I think) and a tiny dab to the top and lightly blend it, this gives it a bit more dimension. It gives a beautiful bright, non-tacky red. Perfect.