Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer SPF 15

3.8

Active Ingredients: Zinc Oxide 4.20%, Titanium Dioxide 2.45%. Other Ingredients: Cyclopentasiloxane, Isododecane, Polysilicone-11, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Hexyl Laurate, Peg-10 Dimethicone, Polyglyceryl-4 Isosterate, Stearic Acid, Alumina

on 1/19/2015 1:19:00 PM

This primer felt like you were rubbing pearls on your face! It provided a wonderful, smooth canvas before applying foundation. Sadly, I cannot use this product on my face as it is too drying and tends to have the makeup cling to dry spots and acne. I have a few friends with extremely oily skin and this works wonders for them so I know this product will help a large audience of people. I currently am on the lookout for a perfect primer that is suitable for my sensitive, acne-prone, and dry skin. The Hourglass primer did not agitate my skin nor caused acne so that was a good thing.

on 1/18/2015 12:06:00 AM

I've only used this product a few times so I guess take this review with a grain of salt, but thus far I feel like it has changed my life.

The other day at Sephora I picked up the $18 travel size just to try it out because I wanted to see if it was worth the hype since the full size is like insanely expensive and there's no way I'm gonna just shell out over $50 on a whim. When i first put it on I felt like it wasn't really going to make a difference for me. It reminded me a lot of the NYX Angel Veil primer, which I have, but I don't think it's anything to write home about. It also sort of clung to my dry patches which I wasn't stoked about. But after I put on the rest of my makeup I was sort of taken aback. Everything looked so smooth and flawless which was pretty amazing to me because I have fairly bad acne and some seriously flakey skin here and there. I was like okay what the heck where did my skin flakes go they were there like 10 minutes ago.

That's not even the best part though... After like 8 or 9 hours I came home and I looked at myself in the mirror, and by that time I'm usually a greasy mess and my foundation is sliding all over the place and I'm feeling like an overall hot mess. With this stuff on my face looked literally almost exactly like it did right after I put everything on no joke. I wear glasses and the only place where my makeup was wearing off was right where the nose piece sits.

So yeah I know this stuff is like crazy $$$$$ but at this point I am definitely planning on repurchasing it when I eventually run out of it. (also it comes in a nice little pump and there is no offensive odor for those of you who are picky about scents). Two thumbs way up from me.

on 1/16/2015 3:32:00 PM

This primer is amazing! It goes on so smoothly and it helps my makeup last all day (even with fairly oily skin). It did not make me break out at all. It even has SPF, which is a huge perk for me. I have hyperpigmentation on my cheeks and the use of the SPF has helped lighten those dark spots. Very steep for a primer, but I would repurchase!

on 1/10/2015 6:15:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

pros:
- doesnt break me out at all
- face feels fresh and oil- less through out the day (summer)
- nice texture
- suitable for all skin tone
- easy to apply
- love the packaging (theres a pump!)

Cons:
- expensive compare to other brands

on 1/5/2015 10:57:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

For reference, I have dehydrated-normal acne-prone skin. This product didn't break me out, but it didn't work with my skin type in general.

After hearing a lot of raves for this product, I decided to pick up a sample from Sephora. I have tested it with several different base products (UD Naked Skin, Hourglass's own tinted moisturizer, loose powder foundation) and have come to the conclusion that it just doesn't work for me.

In the past, face primers have not done much for me so I tested this out by only using it on one half of my face. I saw no difference in the size of my pores, and while my face felt smoother if I brushed it with my fingers I didn't notice any difference during application of my following makeup products. Further (and this is partially my fault as this product does advertise that it will absorb excess oil) this completely dried out my skin, making my base makeup flake and look cakey. There was an extreme difference between the two sides of my face regardless of what products I used over this primer, and each time the side with primer looked worse.

Overall, this may be too drying for anyone with dehydrated or dry skin. I didn't see any noticeable difference in the smoothness of my makeup or the size of my pores either. From my experience, I think Hourglass's veil mineral primer would be best suited for someone with oily skin who has trouble getting makeup to stay.

Went to Sephora and I found it to be expensive so I wasn't going to buy it. As I was waiting in line I noticed a smaller size and the price was reasonable so I purchased it. It is ok. Nothing special, there are other brands that do the same job. I don't use it often so the smaller size works well for me.

on 1/1/2015 4:39:00 PM

This is a very pricey primer in my opinion but for me it's a HG. I have oily combo skin because for the extreme cold now I'm getting dry flakes on my nose. This primer seems to blur out the dryness and gives me a natural matte for the rest of my face. When ever I get a chance I get sample packets or burn points to get a mini bottles and I wait for Sephora sales.. As I said this is HG for me. NYX has a primer very similar for for $15 I love that one as well however it's not exact.

on 1/1/2015 10:55:00 AM

Absolutely horrible for me! I bought the full size last year based on the reviews, and it sucked so bad, I had to return it. I'm combination (was oilier back then, but a bit dehydrated), and all areas I had put it on turned flakey instantly, I was unable to put foundation on top because the texture of my skin was disgusting.
Recently I received a travel size from a friend, and since I had forgotten the experience I had with it previously, I tried using it again. Same disaster happened. I had to run wash my face and redo everything, because my skin showed flakes I didn't know I had.

I can't talk about lasting power, or how it acts as a primer, because I was never able to leave it on for more than a few seconds.

on 1/1/2015 2:14:00 AM

This is an interesting primer. I like using this alone to balance oil or under makeup to help with foundation application. I don't feel like this helps my makeup longer but where I notice the biggest difference is that I don't need to touch up as often and my skin isn't oily.

I do have to shake the bottle before each use or the primer is very runny.

I like to apply this primer all over my face first then use Benefit's PoreFessional on my cheeks where my pores look bigger. This combo seems to work really well. If I use just the PoreFessional, I feel way more oily mid day than when I use both together.

The texture of the primer is somewhat oily-ish feeling but a little goes a long way. It does have a faint scent but it's not bad and dissipates quickly. I am very fair skinned but I could see this product leave a white cast on someone with darker skin potentially.

Pros:
Smoother foundation and concealer application
Less oil
Face feels very smooth
The pump container is great

Cons:
Runny if not shaken
Over priced

Hourglass Primer
Benefit PoreFessional

on 12/30/2014 12:55:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

To be honest I hardly saw a difference with this primer, it was nice to apply but didn't really do anything for my complexion once foundation was on. Won't be repurchasing.

Popular Primer/ Correctors