April 24, 2014 | 1925 users online

Treatments - Lavender Essential Oil

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/14/2009 12:33:00 PM More reviews by Autumn13

I may have the biggest collections of lavender oil on this side of the Bay. Not only do I have the oil, the lotions but I also have several plants in my backyard and dry my own to use in sachets, eye mask, etc. and give to friends and family. But, I use it mostly for medicinal purposes. When I get an insect bite, i rub a little on the bite area and it eliviate the swelling and the itch within minutes. I get a paper cut, I place a small amount on the cut, put a bandage and within in minutes no pain and heals the next day! I also use it on small cuts. You know that ones - that appear out of no where and you wonder, when/how did I get this??? I have a bottle of this in every room in house and office. Sunburn, place a few drops in my favorite lotion, when I can't find my lavender lotion and spread on the burn area and the next day I get smooth skin and no sunburn. I also use it when I'm cooking and get splatter by hot oil. I just rub a little on the area and no pain within minutes and no sign of the burn the next day. During the summer, I mix a few drops of this in bottled water and place in a cool spot for a week. Then, I place the lavender water in fridge. During the heat of the day and I need a little refreshing mist, this will do the job. At night, I use the eye mask I've made with flax seed and dried lavender to gently ease me to sleep. I also place the dried flowers in a pouch - I use a lavender colored mesh fabric - hang it around around as decorative item and will give the room a fresh smell and get rid of mosquitoes. If you love the scent of lavender, this is way of adding it in your home without actually wearing the scent on you. BTW... A bad mosquito bit me on the way to my car this morning...on my face! I placed a tiny amount of lavender on the area (I have a small bottle in my purse) and by the time I got to work, it was gone and no itch once I dab the lavender oil on it.

21 out of 21 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/5/2009 5:02:00 PM More reviews by Charlin

I have been practising aromatherapy for 13 years and lavender oil was one of my first oils...yesterday I just purchased another one. I get through loads of the stuff!

Some uses:
To help me get to sleep I use two drops on my pillow; I'm always careful not to use more as it becomes a stimulant in high doses. This works 90% of the time when I can't quite drop off.
This is amazing for burns; I do a lot of cooking and inevitably it happens now and then. The first thing I do is run my burn under the cold tap and then shake on a few drops of neat oil. The pain is relieved straight away on most occasions, although I need to use ice as well if it's a bad one. Normally no scarring will result.
This is a lovely oil for general relaxation, it can be used in the bath (about 6-8 drops), for a massage when diluted in a carrier oil or burned in a vapouriser. It blends well with most other essential oils as well, such as those distilled from flowers, fruits, spices and herbs.
I always take a bottle on holiday, it works on rashes, cuts, grazes and bites but also as a repellent (by the way, it repels moths from your clothing drawers and wardrobes)!
Lavender has fantastic antiviral and antibacterial properties so it's great when you or someone else has a cold and you need to disinfect the air...door handles.. etc.

Be careful to only buy pure essential oils from a reputable seller/company or they could be dangerous, or at best, ineffective, especially as some are adulterated with cheap oils.

I love this!

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 7/1/2009 4:05:00 PM More reviews by rachelleanita

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I like lavender oil to use in steaming my face, and to burn for the scent, but I wasn't all that impressed when used on my face. It definitely needs to be diluted or it will really burn, so I mixed it with my moisturizer. It hasn't made me breakout, but I have noticed I have more clogged pores but I'm not sure if it's because of the oil. I have noticed though that it gets rid of redness, which is why I would still use it. I will probably use it to make an oil mixture with emu oil, but it's not all that amazing by itself in my opinion.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/19/2009 11:50:00 AM More reviews by devii

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Wow is all I can say!!! This stuff is great... All my time I have been looking for some kind of cream that I can put on my face that will not irratate my really really sensitive acne prone and rosacea skin and all the money I have wasted on all these rubbish creams in the shops that are full of harmful chemicals and make the skin so much worse. i first of all put jojoba oil on then put on the lavender, especially on angry spots or redness. its amazing stuff and I will always use it from now on. Seriously my skin is so so sensitive so if its okay on mine it will be fine with anyone i should think with acne. Try it on a small area first. And it really does make you sleep and the smell is great. Just wish I had started using this stuff years ago. So much betta than any doctor could prescribe.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/8/2009 3:38:00 AM More reviews by strickers

I use this oil (along with others) in my facial steam, which I do once or twice a week. My skin always glows afterwards, and the scent of lavender is so refreshing and calming. Highly recommended.

Other good oils for skin: Rosemary, Rose, chamomile

Clary sage, peppermint, ylang ylang, clove, (used sparingly in facial steam; too much is not good).

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/3/2009 3:36:00 PM More reviews by lotusfairy

I love lavender oil and use it in my bath once in a while or straight on cuts. It has a soothing scent and I read somewhere that the Romans would use it to purify the air naturally from germs. I even mix lavender with shea butter to make a homemade body butter. Overall, it has many purposes and is perfect to place in a first-aid kit or your bathroom for beauty treatments.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/22/2009 8:25:00 AM More reviews by ChildOfTheMoon

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Beautiful scent, so calming, fresh and floral. Makes me think of endless purple fields, maybe somewhere in Provence. Lavender essential oil has anti-inflammatory qualities and can be used for treating insect bites and burns. It is also known to be a mosquito repellent when worn as perfume. I only use it diluted with carrier oils, it's pretty strong on its own.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/6/2009 4:02:00 AM More reviews by AutumnShadow15

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is great stuff. My face was feeling very irrated - dry, itchy w/pimples here and there. After applying this for a couple of days my face looks and feels alot clearer and calmer and my blemishes are slowly clearing up. I have also been using this on my new piercings which I got done three months ago. They have been very slow to heal despite all the prescribed care. Anyway, one, my navel, had become sore, red and weepy. I applied lavendar oil to it last night and woke up this morning with no redness or pain!! My helix (cartilage) has also been extremely painful to the touch but after after applying lavender oil the pain has been much reduced. I'm so happy I found this oil! Big thanks to MUA-ers who reviewed this ;-D It's def. a keeper!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/6/2009 8:04:00 PM More reviews by vintagequeengf1

Wow. I originally bought this for another purpose but decided to use it on my face one night. I had some small, finicky blemishes on my forehead that refused to clear up - they were not red, just tiny raised bumps. I had been applying a topical acne medication on them, but decided to use lavender essential oil on them. The next morning, every bump was completely gone. Absolutely amazing. The next night I applied it all over my face - about 3-5 drops of Lavender. I mixed it with an olive oil base because otherwise, it is too drying for my skin. The next morning my skin was clear and bright - no redness, no blemishes. I am going to continue using this forever and ever and hope it keeps working. I almost can't believe it. I haven't seen results like this from any product, ever. Wonderful!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/2/2009 11:43:00 PM More reviews by groovinchic

Lavender essential oil is magic. One time a few years ago, I placed a drop on a pimple that had popped and it was nearly completely gone by the next morning. Last night I tried something brand new - after using a facial cleanser, I moistened a cotton pad and added a couple drops of lavender, and then used that as my toner. This morning, all of the redness from my irritated skin was back to normal. I didn't have to use concealer on my cheeks at all today; yesterday, I had to pack it on. I couldn't believe the results and can't wait to try it again tonight. Like I said, it's magic!

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No