November 27, 2014 | 900 users online

Makeup Brushes - Ecotools - retractable kabuki

rated 5 of 5 on 4/15/2012 10:14:00 PM More reviews by bunbunny

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

*Please note, I'm a newbie when it comes to brushes.
I do have a small concealer brush, but none other than that.*
I've been using this for 2 months now.
This little baby is perfect.
I use it for my PRESSED Sweet Leilani SPF powder. (the only foundation I use)
At first, I was silly and swirled the brush in the powder and then just tapped/patted the product onto my skin. Then, I watched some Youtube video, and I saw someone swirling the product onto the skin buffing it in in circular motions. (I believe it was Goss (?) - the cool, British dude).
So I saw that, and I thought, huh, that's a funky of putting powder on. And then, the next morning, when I was putting on my powder, I remembered the video, and thought, ok, let's try it. BAM - beautiful application. So nice: smooth, with no patches, and looked completely un-cakey, which is a word that I cannot use to describe my previous method of patting the powder on.
The bristles(?) are very soft, and the powder is spread out nicely. The motion along with the soft, dense bristles give my skin almost an airbrushed look; don't mind that at all :) Also, I do have some peach fuzz action going on, so considering that, this brush is performing beautifully.

For the price (CAN $12) I expected it to fall apart after a few uses, since it's got a whole contraption situation going on - the retractable feature. Let me tell you, this has survived numerous sports tournament trips, little voyages with family or friends, school and also being dropped into the bathroom sink - it survived beautifully and it's still going on strong.
I've experienced no shedding, even though I've been using this every day for the last 2 months
I can't find any downside to this.
Please NOTE again, that it's my first brush, so I don't know how it will compare to others, but by itself, it's perfect. I don't need another one.
Also, again, please NOTE, that I'm using this with a pressed powder, so I can't vouch for how it will perform with liquid fdtn's or loose powders, especially cleaning it. (I wet it, swirl in a pool of water + some mild soap in my hand for a few minutes, then rinse gently, then pat dry and let it air-dry).
Hope this helped.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/13/2012 9:11:00 PM More reviews by Annushka

Packaging is great, small enough for on the move, bristles do not get caught into the lid and go 'haywire' like I have seen some do..
I gave this a five because for the price, packaging and quality it is much much better than other brands. However, I found that the bristles are very dense and pack on a lot of product. Sometimes, because the bristles are sythetic, the powder falls off easily before you can get it to your face!!(but I can't take a lippe off - all synthetic brushes do this) so that's weird...sometimes theres so much on the brush, then it all falls off...sometimes it doesn't fall off at all and I get big powder blotches.
You also have to be wary of how/where you apply powder as the head is quite small and won't 'open up' like other brushes because this one has the barrel casing,
As with all ecotools products, the bristles are synthetic (I don't like synthetic but for this product I didn't want to buy anything too expensive) and soft, no shedding and durable.
All factors considered there would be no reason to buy any other retractable (unless you were megarich!), this ticks all the boxes and I would repurchase if anything ever happens to mine.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/13/2012 8:06:00 PM More reviews by megabookfreak

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

The most underrated brand of brushes id say. They're ALL SO SOFT!!!!!!!!!!!!

this kabuki is REALLY dense and very soft. VERY comparable to MAC in that sense. If I had to go back in time and purchase only one, it would be this kabuki over MAC's.

if aything, it's a little TOO dense sometimes because I like my bllush to be VERY light and subtle. This can pick up a little too much color sometimes...but usually it works out perfectly. Highly recommend!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/10/2012 2:02:00 AM More reviews by redrave1

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I've had this brush for eight months and I haven't had the problems with it falling apart the way other reviewers have. Only used this with powder products. It works great, is incredibly soft, and is easier to wash than my other kabukis. Also, not as dense as some kabuki's, which may be good or bad depending on your preference.
I can see where this may break if you use it for buffing in mineral makeup. I don't use mineral makeup daily, but I have 20+ times and it's been fine. I usually use it for touch ups or blending out makeup, and the retractable feature wasn't a problem.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/21/2012 1:48:00 PM More reviews by Katillac

This is not my favorite Kabuki brush, or powder brush for that matter, but this is a great brush when you want to have one in your purse for touch-ups throughout the day! Soft bristles and does not shed.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/20/2012 11:40:00 PM More reviews by cassy2790

I was trying to find a good kabuki brush without having to pay the hefty price tag when I found Ecotools Makeup Brushes at Walmart. I absolutely LOVE this kabuki brush! It is a retractable one made out of 100% recycled aluminum which is awesome. It's works lovely, the brush bristles are so soft and makes my skin feel amazing when I am putting on my pressed powder. Price was decent, at Walmart it was only $10.95 which was the cheapest I found and it's good quality that is good for the planet. It also comes in a really cute reusable and recyclable zip lock bag. Love it!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/5/2012 7:21:00 PM More reviews by mijuness

I LOVE THIS BRUSH! I had been looking for a good, cheap retractable kabuki brush for a while and I am so happy with this!

I use this to apply my pressed powder and it distributes the product quite evenly. The brush is SO soft, it feels amazing on my face. I haven't had any problems with shedding or anything and I've had this brush for a while now.

This is probably my favorite brush because it's perfect for travel and it works amazingly! I would totally repurchase this if it ever broke or anything! :D

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/1/2012 1:52:00 AM More reviews by karissajean

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

I'm not sure how to describe my relationship with this brush. I bought it after several months of using the Ecotools blush brush from the 6 piece set that I completely adore. I wanted a new brush to apply powder foundation and buff/blend in contour/highlighting etc. This brush... only partially does that for me. It's super soft and I like the packaging, but as a foundation brush it is not exactly what I'm looking for. However, I cleaned this brush and started using it as my final blending/buffing and I like it for that use.
Probably wouldn't repurchase, even though it's cheap. But I'll hang onto it in my collection.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/24/2012 11:16:00 PM More reviews by PiMehMeh

I usually apply makeup with my fingers but that proved difficult with mineral powder foundations, so when I went out to look for a brush to apply it, I settled for this one, largely because I was constantly taking my makeup with me on the go and did it elsewhere out of home (hence no brushes, just finger application).

The packaging is functionally designed and very simple, though I can't help but feel the aluminum casing can feel a little cheap sometimes. My brush gets tossed around in my bag often so it does have two dents on the edges, but otherwise it does take a good beating and still retracts! The brush can also feel relatively bulky in comparison to traditional foundation brushes with slimmer handles, so the size, although small and easy to take with you whereever you go, can be a little troublesome when storing it away in a small makeup bag along with other makeup, in fact this was pretty big relative to the size of the other makeup packaging I kept in the same bag.

The brush is easy to wash; I washed it on a weekly basis when I used it. I did have my doubts about washing it though because of the aluminum casing but I didn't see any signs of rust or corrosion, so as far as I can tell, it's safe to run this brush under water for cleaning. Wash it with cold water, because when I washed this under hot water like the idiot I was, it seemed to melt the adhesive holding the brush inside of the aluminum case and the brush and ferrule fell out of the casing. It's easy to slide that back in though, and it doesn't really affect the retracting of the brush or the application of makeup.

This is an excellent brush for travel because it can be stored retracted, keeping the bristles clean from dirt and other particles and keeping the them from fraying.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/18/2012 4:34:00 AM More reviews by sheltielov3r

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I LOVE this brush. I use it everyday even when I'm at home and not o utside I use it to put on my loose powder/pressed powder. I am already on my fourth one....it's not too expensive but I wish it was cheaper. I broke two alreayd because I dropoped them and the brush came out of the case (it's hot glued on..)