April 20, 2014 | 1650 users online

Powder - Shiseido - Perfect Smoothing Compact Foundation SPF 15

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/10/2009 2:20:00 AM More reviews by tragicglamour83

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

Yes, ladies, I've found it. My HG foundation! And trust me, I never thought it would come in powder form. For years, Ive used a variety of liquid foundations, finding success with some but hardly coming close to the amazing results Perfect Smoothing has yielded! I usually dont even like powder foundations at all- they dont even out my pinkness enough, and look cakey on my dry skin. But while perusing the Shiseido counter the compact caught my eye- (so freaking cute-sleek black with a dash of fuschia!) The formula is like silk on your skin, and while it looks powdery a few minutes after application, it soon turns velvety and matte without looking dry or artificial at all. I use the lightest shade, and it blends seamlessly with my ultra fair skin, camoflauging blemishes and neutralizing redness. Another thing I love about this foundation is how lightweight and natural it feels- sounds cheesy but its like youre literally wearing nothing at all. Granted, aside from dryness and the occasional hormonal breakout, I dont have a lot of skin issues- this just makes my skin look so healthy, even toned, and almost airbrushed. Also, the coverage is perfect for what I need- medium- but could be lighter or heavier depending on how much product is used. This literally lasts all day and into the night, but washes off very easily with a gentle cleanser. As a side note- this has not caused acne, clogged pores, or any other skin problems.
I went through a whole compact in about 3 months, and that was with near daily use. One nice thing about this product is that you just switch out the pan when its empty,keeping the compact, and a fresh sponge is included each time you buy more product. Maybe this is standard with higher-end powders but since Ive always been a liquid girl, its a new concept to me. All in all, you could say I'm obsessed with this product, and Im pleased to see it has such a high rating here!

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 1/8/2009 7:28:00 PM More reviews by scheda

I agree with the poster below that said the color range does not suit asian skin - what a disappointment! this does smooth out my skin, but the color is off, and it makes me break out :(

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/4/2009 1:59:00 PM More reviews by Hisoneandonly

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Perfect Smoothing Compact Foundation SPF 15 by Shiseido is a powder foundation that is in a compact that has a seperate compartment to hold the sponge.

I was looking for something easy to use that wouldn't require for me to spend to much time covering flaws. One message of caution though - you must have a good moisturizer if your skin is dry or this will emphasize your dry patches, or uneven texture. The first time I used it I was disappointed, but then when I used it again after moisturizing properly, allowing the moisturizer to sink in and then applying with the sponge it comes with I was very pleased.

I have freckles. They are great when I want them but I want to cover them sometimes - this does that! The makeup went on smoothly and coverage lasted through the day. Unlike MAC Studio Fix it didn't make me oily. The only thing I didn't care for is that it did have a tendency to settle a little but that was after wearing for a while, and I have purchased foundations before that would settle and offer no where nearly the coverage this foundation does, so you be the judge.

It is costly, but I did not need a lot even though I got full coverage. I love the seperate compartment for the sponge and the compact has a mirror inside. I was using Benefit Get Even before but my compact got smashed so I needed to get something new eventually. Overall, I am satisfied with my purchase and would recommend this to anyone who needs to apply foundation quickly, med - full coverage, and prefers not to use a liquid. A real time saver!

UPDATE: I use this now with Revlon Colorstay liquid foundation underneath. If it sounds heavy that is because it is, I have wanted fuller coverage and I finally got it. My skin looks flawless. This foundation is amazing.

I want to warn you ladies be careful not to drop your compact or let the makeup crack, it will never smooth back down. Maybe it is the formulation but mine is not portable any longer because it is so fragile. Fortunately when I use Revlon CS liquid foundation I don't need touchups. However, using this alone I would need a touchup after a couple of hours.

The wearability is better when it is layered over liquid, and sponged on top ( I just use the sponge it comes with ). The coverage is still unbeatable. Your skin does need to be well moisturized or this will emphasize dryness patches, or fine lines so don't skimp on skincare. Overall I would repurchase again and again! This is better than ANY other dual finish powder I have tried.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 1/3/2009 6:39:00 PM More reviews by oohollyoo

Age: Unknown Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

ooh shiseido how much u suck now!!! due to the fine ad i thought this would be perfect for me. little did i know it was thick and seperated after a couple of hrs and settled into the creases of my nose and became oily and broke me out in little bumps. the makeup lady said there was a lot of returns due to the similar complaints.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/29/2008 12:21:00 AM More reviews by Hipslikemonroe

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Only powder that i could swear by.. I try so many different products/brands.. I absolutely LOVE this one! Does not feel/look like a powder! Like the poster below, this really does feel more like cream than a powder and it is smooth and does seem to 'melt' into your skin (without the breakouts!) I really love this but do wish they would make a o10 as on my pale days my 020 skin drops a shade! I have slightly olive fair skin and i love how this product caters to the different skin tones! Me Likey! -xoxox-

rated 4 of 5 on 12/5/2008 4:46:00 AM More reviews by secnarf_t

Use a foundation brush and it will give you light-medium coverage. Use a sponge and it will give you medium-heavy coverage. It's a great foundation to even out your skin tone.Very quick and easy to apply, which I love. Although, doesn't do much with blemishes/freckles and there's not many color choices. I'm using I40 and it's a little darker than my true color, but I don't mind it. Only gripe about this foundation is that by the end of the day it seems to make my forehead oily, which never happens (on a normal basis I have dry skin)...And because of this I will not repurchase.
I would recommend this to someone that has uneven skin tone, dry-normal skin, and can find the right color match.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/4/2008 9:28:00 AM More reviews by bebe_girl

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

i hate the fact that shiseido doesn't have true yellow shades for us asian women and it's a japanese brand. this isn't a bad product, but even the ochre shades are way off on my asian skin. won't repurchase this!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/24/2008 1:07:00 AM More reviews by chirakat

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I used to use only powder foundation because of its convenience until I reached 40. My skin became drier. I had to switch to liquid/cream/stick foundation but never stopped wanting a powder one. Then this Perfect Smoothing Foundation came along. It claimed to be suitable for dry and coarse skin. I had to try it and it did not disappoint me. The powder is very soft. It spreads on almost like a cream and kind of melts into skin. Once I tried putting on several layers on my face just to see if it would get powdery or cakey. No it didn't but then it didn't look natural anymore either. Anyway, moderation is the key. Because it has more moisturizing ingredients in it, I become surface-oily easier when in hot, humid outdoors. But it happens when I wear a liquid/cream/stick foundation too. So this is not to complain about. When indoors, it never feels dry. I can smile without cracking my cheeks. Best powder foundation for dry skin so far.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/22/2008 10:54:00 PM More reviews by stellina

This may very well be my perfect foundation. I've been a great fan of powder foundations in compacts for years, especially MAC Studiofix, but I had to give that up a few years ago since my skin is drying up as I careen into middle age. A friend got me to try minerals last year & while I liked the results, I didn't care for the inconvenience (since I travel), the waste, or the mess. The new Shiseido is the equal of the Kanebo Total Finish that I adored but could no longer find or afford. It's so smooth and fine-textured that it's almost a misnomer to call it powder. Application is a dream: just a few swipes with a sponge provides the coverage I need although those who want less could try a brush. It works best with a primer (the Pre-Makeup Cream is recommended & I like it too) as it extends the longevity & improves the application. It looks and feels like velvet. I also love the fact that you can buy just refills for the lovely little square compact - this seems to be a regular feature of Asian lines that other manufacturers would do well to emulate now that we're all trying to be less wasteful. The Japanese lines excel at foundations and this is an excellent example.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/18/2008 7:22:00 PM More reviews by fabplainjane

I have been using Prescriptives All Skins Mineral Makeup during summer and loved it! However, with the cold weather, my skin is somewhat dry in certain spots and needed something more moisturizing. I am not a fan of liquid foundation, so during my search I only stuck with powder foundation. After a month of trying different powder foundations, I found Shiseido's Perfect Smoothing Compact and looovvee it! It provides a sheer to medium coverage and with a natural finish. Of course the more layers you put on for thicker coverage the less of a natural finish it has. It blends very easily with no streaks on my face. I don't use the sponge applicator that it comes with....I use a mineral makeup flat top brush to apply the makeup and my face looks great! I do get a little oiler than I normally do throughout the day but a little blotting fixes it. Although I probably won't use it during summer because I get oily but during these colder season this is a definite must for me. I also love the cute, small compact it comes in. More on the expensive side but its worth it.