Avocado Oil

4.4

100% virgin avocado oil, yellow-greenish in color

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I love oils and I think they're great for skin - I love jojoba and rosehip and especially pure vitamin e. However, like a few of the other reviewers avocado oil make my skin go nuts. Within seconds my face was bright red, burning, itchy and starting swell. Not sure what caused the reaction, I got food-grade oil, cold-pressed and oganic. It may have been the high vitamin A content. Those already using retinols should be aware that it is very high in natural vitamin A and will give an exfoliating effect.

on 7/7/2011 5:51:00 PM

Hair: Red, Curly, Fine

Hot damn, my skin loves this stuff. I've used oils (particularly jojoba) on my face before, and have had decent results with the oil cleansing method using olive and castor oils, but I think this is the best one yet. I used it as a night time moisturizer after using my regular cleanser, and my skin looked amazing the next morning--glowy, soft, no noticeable fine lines. I'm not sure yet about helping with my minor acne, but it seems the perfect balance of light and rich for my face, and didn't cause much shine (well, after it sunk in).

Not so sure about using it on my hair, though--I mixed some in with my conditioner, and I barely noticed a difference.

on 6/15/2011 10:45:00 AM

I am so impressed with this avocado oil, I did not break out which is trully a miracle since my skin is really sensitive and will break out with any oils.I got the cold pressed one and was really surprised that my skin absorbed it really well. I could even wear it during the day since there was no shine residue on my face. Ladies I suggest you get the cold pressed oil because it absorbs really well into the skin. My skin was sooo soft when I woke up this morning....baby soft skin and I usually have dry skin around the nose and chin area but my whole face was soft. My face was also bright and I feel this works well for acne marks. I've only used it for a day so I am not completely sure that it will not break me out but I do usually break out within a day. We will see, I will keep posted on the results. I really hope this does not break me out because my skin is soooo soft.....

on 5/28/2011 10:16:00 PM

I've read that avocado oil is one of the few oils that actually penetrate the hair shaft, along with coconut and olive oils. I usually combine this with castor oil for an overnight scalp oiling, but it's wonderful alone for general softness. I always CO-wash to get oils out the next morning, and I've had great results across the board. This is also amazing combined with pure shea butter and coconut oil as a skin moisturizer.

on 5/1/2011 8:15:00 PM

Instantly softens dry patches (I've been using it on elbows, knees).

Incredible hair softener! If you don't use too much your hair will be soft and not greasy. LESS FRIZZ!! I use a few drops on wet hair. Can probably be smoothed over dry hair if you use a tiny amount.

Such a great discovery. I'm thrilled!! :)

p.s. I bought cold pressed avocado oil - brand is Roland. It was only $6 at Fairway market in NY. I've heard food grade is better for your skin than the stuff in the skincare section.

on 4/7/2011 2:21:00 AM

I have the Aura Cacia Avocado Oil, it is not as dark green, more yellow I guess, not too thick either, but it might be processed, I am not sure. I`ve gotta say that this is fantastic on my skin!!! I apply it to damp face so that way it sinks in quick and 100%. I have never guessed this myself before seeing reviews online, but now my skin is beautiful, even, never break outs, 5stars! :-) My other big favorite is shea butter, the rest of the oils I have tried (almond, olive, jojoba) weren`t as good as this one for me, so I stick to Avocado... :-)))

on 2/7/2011 6:10:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

First I would like to start with a warning about Avocado oil. Does NOT use this as a daytime moisturizer unless you know for a fact that you are not going out in the sun at all. It should only be used as a night time moisturizer. The reason I say this is because it is a cooking oil and the sun produces heat, those two do not make a good combo together and it will cause burning and extra sensitivity. Also do not let that scare you from trying it because it is truly a great product.

For myself I have thinning pink skin because of abuse of harsh skincare and makeup. About a year ago I swore off foundation and wanted to rehabilitate my skin. I have tried many oils and have to say avocado oil is one of my favorites. (Sunflower oil, EV Olive oil, Hempseed oil are very good on my ultra picky sensitive skin as well, but avocado the best).

It absorbs pretty quietly for an oil and gives adequate moisture. For me it has not clogged my pores (yet) and best of all it seriously reduces the pinkness in my skin because it helps with the development of collagen and other goodies to calm and thicken the skin.

It is a really great oil that I highly recommend. If you try it and feel like it is too oily then what you do is let it sink in for 5 to 10 mins then gently pat the extra oil with a tissue.

Lastly, I want to recommend not buying any avocado oil. The ones in the skin care section are usually refined and not as potent. The one I use is La Tourangelle Delicate Avocado oil. It is a deep green and is unrefined. Pretty much any avocado oil in the cooking section will be a hit.

The reason I did not give it a 5 was only because I do not want to jinx the results but it pretty much is a 5 star product.

I bought some Aura Cacia Avocado Oil at Whole Foods to try as a winter moisturizer, as my face was very dry and my normal moisturizer and jojoba oil weren't helping enough. Unfortunately, it seems that it is too moisturizing for my face for every day use. It takes a very long time to absorb and even then my face feels a bit greasy. So while I wouldn't use it for daily use, I might put it on at night at a more intensive moisturizer and see how that works. It is also very good for my super dry feet, especially if I put it on at night and then wear cotton socks to bed. So overall a good product, just didn't turn out to be good for what I bought it for.

on 1/24/2011 8:18:00 AM

Skin: Other, Olive, Warm

After reading glowing reviews I was very excited about this! However this made my dry cheeks go berserk, swell up and itchy. The texture of my skin became very uneven, bumpy (but very tiny red bumps that gave the impression of swelling unless you were looking very closely) and tender. The only my forehead and neck (the oily/normal) areas of skin did not change.

I recommended you patch test this overnight. Don't be fooled about how nice it feels on the skin or that your skin will adapt if your skin complains.

However it wasn't a complete waste of money because it tastes very nice and helped repair my inflamed skin by being drizzled over salad.

I bought melrose, organic avocado oil. It cost about $16.50 AU for smallish bottle. I feel it is on the expensive side but considering how expensive avocados are and it was organic it is to be expected.

For those that are unfortunate like me, I repaired the damage by slathering on dermeze eczema lotion and Hydraderm (sigma) cream.

on 10/11/2010 10:06:00 PM

I love this. I use it on my (sparingly) on freshly washed and still damp face and I get no breakouts. Skin is very soft. Same effects as jojoba oil, just not as expensive.

I have tried this on my hair, which is fine to medium, and I find it too heavy. I prefer using jojoba oil on my hair.

Also, a few people asked why this helps control their oily skin: if skin is harshly washed (depending on each person) and dry, your skin will naturally produce oil (aka sebum) to compensate. Since you are appling oil on your face, you are replenishing the lost oil during washing, so your face will not need to overcompensate.

Top Rated No Brand (DIY or homemade) Products