Avocado Oil

4.4

100% virgin avocado oil, yellow-greenish in color

on 5/28/2011 10:16:00 PM

I've read that avocado oil is one of the few oils that actually penetrate the hair shaft, along with coconut and olive oils. I usually combine this with castor oil for an overnight scalp oiling, but it's wonderful alone for general softness. I always CO-wash to get oils out the next morning, and I've had great results across the board. This is also amazing combined with pure shea butter and coconut oil as a skin moisturizer.

on 5/1/2011 8:15:00 PM

Instantly softens dry patches (I've been using it on elbows, knees).

Incredible hair softener! If you don't use too much your hair will be soft and not greasy. LESS FRIZZ!! I use a few drops on wet hair. Can probably be smoothed over dry hair if you use a tiny amount.

Such a great discovery. I'm thrilled!! :)

p.s. I bought cold pressed avocado oil - brand is Roland. It was only $6 at Fairway market in NY. I've heard food grade is better for your skin than the stuff in the skincare section.

on 4/7/2011 2:21:00 AM

I have the Aura Cacia Avocado Oil, it is not as dark green, more yellow I guess, not too thick either, but it might be processed, I am not sure. I`ve gotta say that this is fantastic on my skin!!! I apply it to damp face so that way it sinks in quick and 100%. I have never guessed this myself before seeing reviews online, but now my skin is beautiful, even, never break outs, 5stars! :-) My other big favorite is shea butter, the rest of the oils I have tried (almond, olive, jojoba) weren`t as good as this one for me, so I stick to Avocado... :-)))

on 2/7/2011 6:10:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

First I would like to start with a warning about Avocado oil. Does NOT use this as a daytime moisturizer unless you know for a fact that you are not going out in the sun at all. It should only be used as a night time moisturizer. The reason I say this is because it is a cooking oil and the sun produces heat, those two do not make a good combo together and it will cause burning and extra sensitivity. Also do not let that scare you from trying it because it is truly a great product.

For myself I have thinning pink skin because of abuse of harsh skincare and makeup. About a year ago I swore off foundation and wanted to rehabilitate my skin. I have tried many oils and have to say avocado oil is one of my favorites. (Sunflower oil, EV Olive oil, Hempseed oil are very good on my ultra picky sensitive skin as well, but avocado the best).

It absorbs pretty quietly for an oil and gives adequate moisture. For me it has not clogged my pores (yet) and best of all it seriously reduces the pinkness in my skin because it helps with the development of collagen and other goodies to calm and thicken the skin.

It is a really great oil that I highly recommend. If you try it and feel like it is too oily then what you do is let it sink in for 5 to 10 mins then gently pat the extra oil with a tissue.

Lastly, I want to recommend not buying any avocado oil. The ones in the skin care section are usually refined and not as potent. The one I use is La Tourangelle Delicate Avocado oil. It is a deep green and is unrefined. Pretty much any avocado oil in the cooking section will be a hit.

The reason I did not give it a 5 was only because I do not want to jinx the results but it pretty much is a 5 star product.

I bought some Aura Cacia Avocado Oil at Whole Foods to try as a winter moisturizer, as my face was very dry and my normal moisturizer and jojoba oil weren't helping enough. Unfortunately, it seems that it is too moisturizing for my face for every day use. It takes a very long time to absorb and even then my face feels a bit greasy. So while I wouldn't use it for daily use, I might put it on at night at a more intensive moisturizer and see how that works. It is also very good for my super dry feet, especially if I put it on at night and then wear cotton socks to bed. So overall a good product, just didn't turn out to be good for what I bought it for.

on 1/24/2011 8:18:00 AM

Skin: Other, Olive, Warm

After reading glowing reviews I was very excited about this! However this made my dry cheeks go berserk, swell up and itchy. The texture of my skin became very uneven, bumpy (but very tiny red bumps that gave the impression of swelling unless you were looking very closely) and tender. The only my forehead and neck (the oily/normal) areas of skin did not change.

I recommended you patch test this overnight. Don't be fooled about how nice it feels on the skin or that your skin will adapt if your skin complains.

However it wasn't a complete waste of money because it tastes very nice and helped repair my inflamed skin by being drizzled over salad.

I bought melrose, organic avocado oil. It cost about $16.50 AU for smallish bottle. I feel it is on the expensive side but considering how expensive avocados are and it was organic it is to be expected.

For those that are unfortunate like me, I repaired the damage by slathering on dermeze eczema lotion and Hydraderm (sigma) cream.

on 10/11/2010 10:06:00 PM

I love this. I use it on my (sparingly) on freshly washed and still damp face and I get no breakouts. Skin is very soft. Same effects as jojoba oil, just not as expensive.

I have tried this on my hair, which is fine to medium, and I find it too heavy. I prefer using jojoba oil on my hair.

Also, a few people asked why this helps control their oily skin: if skin is harshly washed (depending on each person) and dry, your skin will naturally produce oil (aka sebum) to compensate. Since you are appling oil on your face, you are replenishing the lost oil during washing, so your face will not need to overcompensate.

on 8/20/2010 10:33:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I've been using avocado oil as my nightly facial moisturizer for the past three months. Beautiful stuff. I cannot belive how it makes my skin glow. It's also smoothed out a few lines on my forehead . My skin is so soft too. I love it.

on 7/1/2010 6:28:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm

I got cold unpressed avocado oil off ebay and have been using for a week so will come back to update if I have any adverse reactions, but so far I use it at night (not daytime, you'll burn). This works better for drier skin types. Cleared up dry patches and some scars are lighter. Oily so I only use a little bit. A bit thick for an oil so best applied right after showers. I use it for face and body for nighttime.

on 6/18/2010 4:10:00 PM

I bought a bottle from the local health food store--for $5!!!!--after reading all the positive reviews. My skin is dry so I don't have to worry about the acne problem some are complaining about. For me, this oil is an anti-aging miracle-worker. I apply it to my face every night. I used to--that's right, USED TO--have noticeable forehead and laugh lines. I can barely see them now. Plus my skin and lips are soft and supple. I have tried MANY expensive creams with minimal results. Nothing has worked like this oil and it is so very cheap. My one complaint--which I'm quite willing to put up with--is that it's greasy and takes a while to absord into the skin. Thus, I only put it on at night and first pin my bangs back so they too don't get greased. Often, to dilute the oil, I'll rinse my face first and then apply the oil while my face is still wet. Then I'll blot my face to remove the excess.
BRILLIANT STUFF!!!
****Adding update here. This time round I bought the avocado oil in the food section instead of the beauty section at the health food store. It's actually cheaper as well as greener and has a distinct smell. I THINK it's actually does more for my skin than the beauty bottled stuff..seems to absorb better and makes my skin softer but I can't swear that this is a fact. But, considering it's cheaper in the food isle, I'll stick to the green stuff.

Popular Moisturizers