John Frieda Luxurious Volume Thickening Mousse

3.9

WATER, ISOBUTANE, VP/METHACRYLAMIDE/VINYL IMIDAZOLE COPOLYMER, POLYQUATERNIUM-46, PANTHENOL, PROPANE, LAURETH-3, COCOTRIMONIUM METHOSULFATE, CETEARETH-25, BENZOPHENONE-4, PROPYLENE GLYCOL, DIAZOLIDINYL UREA, METHYLPARABEN, PROPYLPARABEN, FRAGRANCE

on 1/15/2009 8:19:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Other, Fine

HG bodifying mousse for fine hair!!

John Frieda's luxurious volume mousse is decently priced--about 6 or 7 dollars--and widely available at drugstores.

The consistency is very creamy yet lightweight foam. After blowdrying with a round brush (and also upside down), this mouse gives my hair crazy volume! Almost looks like I teased my hair!!! :) This isn't heavy or crunchy like other root boosters or mousses I've used (Redken GUTS, TiGi Catwalk rootboost).

So far it doesn't seem to dry my hair or buildup and doesn't leave a lingering scent. This is a HG for my fine, limp, chin-length hair! :)

on 1/13/2009 5:53:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

This mousse definitely makes my hair feel and look thicker. Previously, I had been using Kerastase Volumactive. (By way of reference, I have fine hair, though a lot of it. It's straight and chin length.)

The John Frieda mousse is more volumizing than the Kerastase. But the Kerastase made my hair far shinier and the smell was way better: cleaner, and less perfumey than the John Frieda.

Still, volume is what I'm after so the John Frieda would still win out, especially since it's way cheaper. Except that the John Frieda mousse irritated my eyes. I have to make sure I thoroughly wash my hands after applying it, and even then.... But of course, all that's a very individual sensitivity. It definitely gives a lot of volume.

on 1/12/2009 4:51:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

Over the past month I've been test driving the John Freida, Paul Mitchell and Rusk volumizing mousses. I was REALLY disappointed with the Mitchell and Rusk products -- NO volume, NO hold, NO nothing -- total waste of money for both of them. Thank goodness for the John Freida -- who knew that a product that costs half of the others would come through...but it did. I have very thick, heavy hair and this does a very nice job. Give it a try.

on 1/5/2009 10:58:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

WoW ...really WOW!! I have never used I volume product that actually worked!! This stuff is amazing, my hair is soft with loads of body and volume, I did blow it out with a 3" ceramic round brush, my hair is fine blonde/silver and highlighted and down to my bra stray with piecy layers. I finally got the look the haircut was supposed to do!

I might note my hair felt a little sticky in the drying process but once it was all the way dry and used the cooling on the dryer, then that is when it went totally soft and silky! Also a little does go a long way, I used a gofball and a half and will try less next time.

I will hold off HG status until I use it for a month or so, as most mousses do crap out on me after a week or 2 of use.

on 1/3/2009 5:38:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

I decided to give this product a try since it was among MUA's Top Picks and I was not disappointed! It gives amazing volume and after applying to my wet/damp hair, my locks feel thicker. It's not obnoxiously sticky upon application like some other mousses. Even if there is a slight sticky feeling after application, it disappears after dry blowing my hair for 1 or two minutes. I really love that this product is affordable and can be picked up at CVS or Duane Reade. Thanks for the heads up on this one, MUA!

on 1/3/2009 12:06:00 PM

Gosh I hate to be a wet blanket here, but um, that's kind of what this mousse made my hair look like. For me, this product does the opposite of what it's supposed to do!!

It makes my hair flat and lifeless. You know how your hair looks when you use too much silicone-based shine product? That's exactly how mine looks with I use this. Has half the volume, and looks dirty.

BTW, My hair is fine and fairly thin but looks fuller b/c I have light natural curl.

I do like John Frieda's Take Charge Curl Boosting Mousse. I use that for styling whether I go for a natural curl OR for simple blow-dried hair. I'm going back to that... The Luxurious mousse is going in the trash bin, or to one of my less-than-close friends. 8^)

on 12/28/2008 7:31:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Wow- the positive reviews on this really are right. This product is excellent for the drugstore price. John Frieda rarely disappoints. I used a palm full of this after a shower and it made my fine hair voluminous, soft, and shiny/healthy looking all day. My hair did not frizz at all even in humid weather AND after a blow dry. It held my curled ends even without hair spray. I will definitely repurchase for when I need Victoria's Secret inspired hair. For the price, this is definitely HG.

Edit: It's been years after I wrote this review and I STILL love this! :)

Second edit: It's a few years later and I've stopped using this because it seems like the formulation has changed. It doesn't work as well now. It is more watery and leaves my hair feeling a little bit dry and stiff. :( I took off 2 lippies. What a bummer!

on 12/20/2008 10:35:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

I bought this based on the reviews here and everyone is totally right! This stuff really works to make my fine, thin hair look like it has tons of soft body and volume. Its thick and creamy, but completely disappears in my hair. Leaves it soft, manageable and shiny without making it crunchy or sticky and doesn't weigh it down or make it look dirty at the end of the day. Smells great, is super cheap and you can get it just about anywhere. Love it!

on 12/4/2008 1:22:00 PM

This is the best mousse I have ever used! Let me start by saying that most mousse products that claim they volumize either dry out my hair badly or do not volumize at all as they claim. Well, this mousse not only volumizes and adds lots & lots of body, but it also does not dry my hair out like other mousses I have tried. This mousse works great at adding thickness and volume, but it also makes my hair shiny as well. I will definitely purchase another bottle when this runs out and definitely recommend it to those with fine, thin hair.

on 12/2/2008 9:14:00 PM

Great stuff! I've tried more gels and mousses and this is definitely one of the best. It's not crunchy or sticky. Feels very dense in your hand but just disappears in your hair. Yet it adds volume and thickness.....and shine too. Smell is very mild and pleasant. I don't often repurchase hair products because I want to try something new, but I'm sure I'll buy this again.
Update: I just added a lippie to make this a 5. I strayed, trying something else again. I had crunchy but greasy looking hair. I ditched that (Herbal Essences Body Envy mousse) and bought another can of the Luxurious Volume. I'm sticking with this from now on!

Popular Styling Products