August 31, 2014 | 1333 users online

Styling Products - John Frieda - Luxurious Volume Thickening Mousse

rated 2 of 5 on 1/3/2009 12:06:00 PM More reviews by bundles

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Gosh I hate to be a wet blanket here, but um, that's kind of what this mousse made my hair look like. For me, this product does the opposite of what it's supposed to do!!

It makes my hair flat and lifeless. You know how your hair looks when you use too much silicone-based shine product? That's exactly how mine looks with I use this. Has half the volume, and looks dirty.

BTW, My hair is fine and fairly thin but looks fuller b/c I have light natural curl.

I do like John Frieda's Take Charge Curl Boosting Mousse. I use that for styling whether I go for a natural curl OR for simple blow-dried hair. I'm going back to that... The Luxurious mousse is going in the trash bin, or to one of my less-than-close friends. 8^)

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/28/2008 7:31:00 PM More reviews by monicaking77

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Wow- the positive reviews on this really are right. This product is excellent for the drugstore price. John Frieda rarely disappoints. I used a palm full of this after a shower and it made my fine hair voluminous, soft, and shiny/healthy looking all day. My hair did not frizz at all even in humid weather AND after a blow dry. It held my curled ends even without hair spray. I will definitely repurchase for when I need Victoria's Secret inspired hair. For the price, this is definitely HG.

Edit: It's been years after I wrote this review and I STILL love this! :)

Second edit: It's a few years later and I've stopped using this because it seems like the formulation has changed. It doesn't work as well now. It is more watery and leaves my hair feeling a little bit dry and stiff. :( I took off 2 lippies. What a bummer!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/20/2008 10:35:00 AM More reviews by SaraLee2

I bought this based on the reviews here and everyone is totally right! This stuff really works to make my fine, thin hair look like it has tons of soft body and volume. Its thick and creamy, but completely disappears in my hair. Leaves it soft, manageable and shiny without making it crunchy or sticky and doesn't weigh it down or make it look dirty at the end of the day. Smells great, is super cheap and you can get it just about anywhere. Love it!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/4/2008 1:22:00 PM More reviews by kim38

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is the best mousse I have ever used! Let me start by saying that most mousse products that claim they volumize either dry out my hair badly or do not volumize at all as they claim. Well, this mousse not only volumizes and adds lots & lots of body, but it also does not dry my hair out like other mousses I have tried. This mousse works great at adding thickness and volume, but it also makes my hair shiny as well. I will definitely purchase another bottle when this runs out and definitely recommend it to those with fine, thin hair.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/2/2008 9:14:00 PM More reviews by kams64

Great stuff! I've tried more gels and mousses and this is definitely one of the best. It's not crunchy or sticky. Feels very dense in your hand but just disappears in your hair. Yet it adds volume and thickness.....and shine too. Smell is very mild and pleasant. I don't often repurchase hair products because I want to try something new, but I'm sure I'll buy this again.
Update: I just added a lippie to make this a 5. I strayed, trying something else again. I had crunchy but greasy looking hair. I ditched that (Herbal Essences Body Envy mousse) and bought another can of the Luxurious Volume. I'm sticking with this from now on!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/2/2008 9:04:00 PM More reviews by CatMc

Age: Unknown Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I am working on my 3rd can of this mousse, and I think it's just about the best one I've ever used. My hair is fine, and needs a little extra boost--this mousse really delivers. Smells nice too. My one little complaint is that it feels a teeny bit sticky, but not enough to bother me. It's a bit more expensive than some other drugstore mousses, but a little goes a long way with this one, so the price evens out.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/23/2008 7:14:00 AM More reviews by diana910

This is by far the best mousse i've tried so far. Most of them really dry out your hair and the volume only last for an hour or so and the next day your hair is a mess. This mousse though gave me alot of volume which lastet all day and even looked and felt great the next day. It smells great and it's easy to apply. It's seems alitlle pricey ut it's worth it and i would definatly repurchase it. I tried more expensive products which didn't do anything close to this mousse.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/21/2008 6:57:00 PM More reviews by jax1

Love this product! I put it through my hair without combing it then sleep on my hair and the next morning it looks great! I would deff buy this again. I have also used it before blowing out my hair, but would prefer my hair wavy.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/20/2008 9:26:00 PM More reviews by EndItNow

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I am really impressed with this product. I usually use Bumble Bumble thickening spray to get a little boost but I prefer the John Frieda mousse. It is not dry or sticky at all and it gives my hair body that lasts all day. My hair is baby fine and highlighted...

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/2/2008 2:29:00 PM More reviews by Product_Junkie

I tried this mousse and I have to say that it is one of the better mousses out there. I liked the texture, it was more on the creamy side and has a pleasant scent. It is also alcohol-free and slightly conditioning, which is a plus. It did not leave my hair crunchy or sticky. However, I found that it did not define my curls the way Clairol condition 3-in 1 moisturizing mousse does (I cannot purchase that anymore:/ , but I have a can left that I ordered from ebay some years ago by sheer luck). JF's Luxurious Volume mousse is, in my experience, better than the curling mousse because it did not leave build-up. It did provide adequate volume though, but I am in search for a close copy of clairol condition 3-in-1, still. Overall, I give this product 4.5 lippies, because to me, this is one of the better JF products that actually does what it claims. I will not repurchase, the search for mousse continues...UPDATE: I will use this mousse for the time being, as it is actually quite good in comparison to other mousses that I've tried thus far. **ANOTHER UPDATE**: After using this mousse more, I have to say that it is really great!! now give this product 5 lippies:) Like other mua reviewers mentioned, this stuff really makes hair soft and provides good volume; not the crunchy, droopy kind. Great stuff! EDIT: I found that this made my strands "fuzzy" after continuous use. I liked Aussie Catch the Wave Mousse better.