September 20, 2014 | 1900 users online

Liquid - Shu Uemura - Face Architect Smoothing Fluid Foundation ] [DISCONTINUED]

image 0image 1image 2

This product has been discontinued

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/15/2010 6:40:00 PM More reviews by MichikoFliz

I've been wanting to try it for a while, so I got this during the black Friday sale so I got it for 20% off.

Feels watery smooth when applying. I feel like I don't need to set this foundation with powder as it actually dries and my skin is quite dry as well (but I set it anyway to be sure). I had to pick between 764 and 754 because my colour seems to be in between these two colours. I picked the lighter one, oops it's a bit too light for me, but I don't mind, doesn't look too obvious.

It definitely doesn't cover acne scars so if you're going for the flawless look, maybe concealer or heavier foundation would be better! The coverage is sheer/medium.

I love using this because it gave me a natural face look rather than foundation face. While I got plenty of acne war scars, it does a good job blurring them.

Since I am very acne-prone I am wary of all the products I put on my face and this has been fine.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/10/2010 3:38:00 PM More reviews by Indothang

I'm a NC20-25, First the lady swatched me and gave me 354 to go home with....HORRIBLE! it was soo noticeably pink and wrong in soo many ways! so had to go back and got matched with 764. i do love the finish, does look natural for sure! i'm soo happy i finally got this foundation
    UPDATE: so i went back again as i found that 764 actually appeared a little too light in outdoor lighting so i got 754 and am much happier with this match, again this is by far the BEST foundation! i love it more and more everytime i wear it!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/6/2010 8:46:00 PM More reviews by kumintang

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Black

shade reference :
    shu uemura FA no 734 is a match on my nc40 skin; Bobbi Brown warm natural, mac msfn medium dark, maybelline dream matte powder in honey med.; Milani cream to Powder in sand; EDM beige neutral (a bit too light for me); boots lifting & firming in no.35, almond - asian, yellow undertone.

My skin type :
    Very oily, acne bumps n cystic acne here and there, flaky (BP user here), big pores, acne scars, hyperpigmentation, very sensitive and acne prone

I give this product 4 lippies for :
    First, the texture and the finishing alone; it's unbelievable,
    once I smoothed it out, it melts right in without leaving any telltale sign - be careful when building up this foundie though, on me it can look a tiny bit cakey when used too much, well...maybe it's just me and my flaky skin, i dunno...
    I am very impressed with the finishing cause the 1st time wearing this my skin is at its lowest... I have several painful cystic acne, itchy n flaky skin n visually bigger pores :(....and my old foundie that used to be my HG can't help but to accentuate my flaky itchy n bumpy skin, not to mention sinking into pores. So yes, I am very impressed with the ability of this foundie to just - melt- in - my skin and giving it somehow a quite decent skin look.

Second, as I've mentioned before, my skin is very sensitive and acne prone. This is the only liquid foundie that doesn't break me out so far. I can only say this after using it many many times during the course of 1 month and this certainly doesnt break me out (cross my finger...)

Now the cons :
    First, The coverage is wayyyy too light for me (I have many things too hide, remember...), I hope too find the medium to heavy coverage in this brand, I need one :). At times I am using 2 or 3 pumps just to have a decent coverage - this is not the type of product that you can say ' a little goes a long way', so yeah this is pricey.
    Second, It is not a long wearing foundie for oily skin gals - with only powder to set it, I found that it melts off my skin within 2-3 hours (yes, m very oily n live in hot n humid country).
    But I managed to tackle this issue by using skindinavian makeup spray finishing, so it holds up up to 8 hours. Nice..

Would I buy this again?though the pros and cons is a 2 by 2...but to me the finishing alone and the fact that it doesnt break me out knocks the cons off the window, so yeah will buy this again, for sure (oh my wallettt......:))

rated 5 of 5 on 11/15/2010 4:49:00 PM More reviews by ling_

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is my HG foundation...well...along with other Shu foundations. Before this I was using MUFE HD (lovely but gave me minor breakouts) or MAC Studio Fix Fluid (meh). I'm normally about an NC30 and 754 is a great match for me. Excellent for yellow based skin tones. Smooth application and looks virtually nonexistant tho it blends in my minor blems and spots very well. Best of all...no breakouts. I use this in conjunction with Shu Nobara as a concealer and voila! perfect complexion!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/26/2010 2:37:00 PM More reviews by temmie84

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I just finished my first bottle and I absolutely love it! the biggest strength of this foundation is its natural finish. It glides on the skin and doesn't break me out at all (and let me tell you... i have super sensitive skin) In terms of coverage, it is sufficient for daily use but it will not cover all blemishes. AND i've tried applying this with a brush, sponge and finger seems to work the best. It's a shame though that they removed all the retail stores in US so you can only purchase this online.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/17/2010 4:37:00 PM More reviews by shorty87

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

I was expecting a bit more from this foundation due to the high ratings here on MUA. However, I found this foundation to be only decent. My main issue was how it looked on my skin. Most of the time, when I apply it, it looks cakey. It settled into dry patches, pores, lines, etc. FYI, I don't use face primer and I apply with a flat foundation brush or a flat kabuki brush. Neither gave me the natural looking finish I was aiming for. There has been occasional times when I don't why, the application would work but 80% of the time, I just did not like how it looked on my face. It did not last very long on me either. After about 6 hours, it began to fade away completely. The coverage is medium, which was adequate for my blemishes but a person with more scarring or hyperpigmentation might find the coverage to be too little. As an asian with yellow/golden skin undertones, the color match was pretty good, although a bit light. I'm NC 20-25 and I was matched with #774. Overall, I would say I would not buy this foundation again due to the fact that it just didn't blend naturally into my skin.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/3/2010 7:28:00 PM More reviews by fogcat

Love it. It's the best match to my skin color I've found. Recommend if you have a lot of yellow and pink tones in your skin.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/2/2010 1:00:00 PM More reviews by rose919

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

This foundation makes a beautiful skin. I have to moisturize under as it is a little drying. Only problem is that no Shu Uemura is present here and I had to order on the internet which means that I only can guess my color... Of course I ordered a lighter one than my skin. But as the winter is coming, it will be okay for my paler complexion.
    So far so good, not a cheap one though...

rated 5 of 5 on 9/27/2010 12:46:00 AM More reviews by lisztomania

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

New HG! For reference, I am NC 30 and shade 754 is the exact colour match for me.

First of all - this review will be for the new illuminating version of the face architect.

The Shu girl put the original face architect on one side of my face, and the illuminating version on the other side. I was initially very hesitant about the illuminating one because it contains Macadamia oil - and for those with combo-oily skin, you know that we try to avoid oily foundations! I shared my concern with her and how I didn't want to look like an oil-slick. She said she has oily skin (and visibly large pores) and says she wears it all day and doesn't get super oily. From her opinion, the Macadamia oil mixes well with your natural oils to leave a dewy finish - unlike water-based foundations where the oil will separate..

So anyway, she was very convinced on the illuminating foundation - she told me that the original face architect has less coverage and also can get "patchy" later during the day. The original version also has a thicker formula, which makes it a bit harder to blend.

After I tried both foundations, I found that I actually liked the illuminating one a lot more. She was right - it didn't make me look like an oil-slick at all. In fact, it leaves a dewy and healthy finish. I have worn this foundation for up to 10 hours and it lasts. You do have to blot a few times though. The finish was very natural and medium-coverage. I was looking for a foundation that looked natural enough to wear during the day, but one that I could build up to wear at night.

It doesn't have an SPF - which is good if you want it for photos. The pump is really helpful (I only use 1 pump) but it can get a bit messy..

The price is decent - so much cheaper than NARS or Chanel which I've tried before, and actually better than both. NARS Sheer Glow kinda stuck to my dry patches (when I have them) and made my face look a bit flat and Chanel Vitalmiere was great at first but was waaaay too oily after a few hours. This foundation does not accentuate dry patches or get too oily - so I'm happy to have found that it works for me

Hasn't caused me to break out - and in fact, when I wash my face at night, I feel my face being quite soft after. Maybe its the Macadamia oil that keeps my face nourished??

Overall - fantastic and underrated, would definitely recommend and purchase again. I have stopped using all other foundations and stuck to this one only :)

12 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/21/2010 8:16:00 PM More reviews by kathrynb23

I purchased this in shade 774, which at the time I thought would be too light for my skin, but the SA insisted that it was my perfect shade.
    Firstly let's just say that when the foundation was in the bottle it looked at least 2-3 shades lighter then what I actually was. I asked the SA what shade she honestly used and she insisted it was 774, I was getting annoyed, but I thought fine, I'll buy but I know it's not my shade. so I'll be back anyways to get it exchange or refund. I was completely wrong, the minute I applied it at home it was a perfect match, I think it oxidises a little and it turn a little darker. I'm not too sure.
    The finish was an bright, clear, fresh and smooth complexion. It stayed on all day no problems. No breakouts as yet, didnt turn oily or shiny. Much better quality then MAC or NARS. It does not rub off and anything, which always happens with the MAC foundation.
    It can look cakey if you applied it wrong, best way for me to apply this is with a sponge.
    It is medium to heavy coverage and a little does go a long way. It also smells organic as well.
    I love this foundation, it feels very light on my face, it give me a bright glowing complexion.
    It is a little expensive, but still a lot cheaper then NARS or HOURGLASS here in Australia.