Maybelline Define A Lash Waterproof

3.5

Isoleucine , Beeswax - Cera Alba , Carnauba Wax - Cera Carnauba , Disteardimonium Hectorite , Water - Aqua , Allyl Stearate/VA Copolymer , Rice Bran Wax - Oryza Sativa Cera , Paraffin , Alcohol Denat , Polyvinyl Laurate , VP/Eicosene Copolymer , Propylene Carbonate , Talc , Ethylenediamine/Stearyl Dimer Dilinoleate Copolyme , PEG-30 Glyceryl Stearate , Propylparaben , Methylparaben , Hydrogenated Jojoba Oil , Iron Oxides - CI 77499 - May Contain

on 2/7/2011 8:21:00 PM

pros: does quite a bit of lengthening
cons: CLUMPS, unnatural, and it's a sucker to get off
lash type: short and sparse
my take: I decided to buy this when I bought my Maybelline Define-A-Lash Volume (pink bottle) mascara. I was excited to try the mascara, as my friend had been raving about the product. However, I was severely disappointed in its performance. The brush did a poor job in separating my lashes, and deposited huge amounts of product onto my lashes. Although I tried to wipe off the excess product from the brush, it was to no avail. I did see that the mascara managed to lengthen my lashes a bit after one coat. However, after I attempted to put on a second coat, the mascara again deposited onto my lashes in big clumps. My lashes looked extremely long, spikey, sticky, and just plain unattractive.... not to mention, UNNATURAL!
Although the mascara did a good job in lengthening, it sure didn't do a good job with separating. I did stay on for most of the day, but after about 7 to 8 hours, I noticed smudging under my eyes. Even though smudgy mascara = HUGE pet peeve of mine, there was another huge flaw to this product. Removal. I used a makeup remover and then washed my face, but saw that there was still a considerable amount of product left on my lashes (and I only had on two coats!) I again used makeup remover. However, when I woke up the next morning, I woke up with raccoon eyes (from MORE smudging) and saw a bit of product still clinging onto my lashes.
Okay, I realize it's a waterproof product... but mine was to the point where it was permanent. Huge, huge, huge, HUGE problem... for me at least.
Although I really wanted to love this product, I stopped using it after about three weeks of use - which was more than enough time to know it was not the product for me. I would probably not recommend this to anyone... unless they have extremely full, long lashes.

on 2/6/2011 10:00:00 PM

I like this mascara because it does exactly what the name says. It really defines my lashes and makes them long. The brush combs through my lashes and doesn't clump at all. It separates them and fans them out. It really lengthens my lashes but doesn't do much for volume. I still like it a lot for length, though. It also holds a curl really well and doesn't smudge because its waterproof.

on 2/4/2011 3:15:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I purchased this on a whim when Maybelline was doing a BOGO. I normally purchase The Falsies WP and love it, but I thought I'd try something new as well. I got home to see what MUA had to say before I opened it, and it didn't have great reviews. I was disappointed by that, and didn't even bother opening it. Luckily, I ran out of mascara before I had a chance to exchange it, and I'm SO glad I tried it. It does exactly what it says, which is a rarity. My lashes look nice and defined, and very black. Also seems to hold a curl very well. It looks more "natural" than The Falsies, and yet it's noticeable enough to not be a waste of time. I prefer dramatic lashes most if the time, but I love this look! My lashes look feathery and defined, and I haven't noticed any flakes, which is a huge problem for me with most mascaras. I think if I did a voluming mascara over this, I'd have TONS of drama, so I think it will be really versatile. Definite repurchase! Don't let the reviews deter you from this one!

on 1/19/2011 9:17:00 PM

pros- holds curl. defining. lengthening. flake-free. long lasting.
cons- not too buildable. somewhat hardens lashes. non-volumizing.
Overall- great everyday mascara, but if you're going for more of a dramatic/bold look you might want to consider something else.

on 1/18/2011 7:12:00 PM

lovely green bottle, and i really do enjoy using this product. my eyelids are kinda puffy and covers up pretty much most of my lashes..which means i dont have any length really... this mascara does add some length but it doesnt do much for though. one thing i like about this mascara is that it doesnt have any clumps or smudge, and i really like the black color. i got this in waterproof and found it a little hard to remove, think i'll get another one..a better one.

on 10/18/2010 2:30:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

One of my favourite drugstore brand mascaras. Doesn't smudge, flake, etc. Makes my lashes look super long without clumping and it lasts a long time.

on 10/14/2010 8:58:00 AM

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Fine

This one does lengthening and holds my lash curl. Not much on thickening, but I can live with that. I do like it very much. Will rebuy.

on 10/9/2010 11:09:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This product is called 'Define-A-Lash' and boy does it! However, I personally prefer a thicker, fuller looking lash, rather than defining each single lash. Its rubber applicator with fine tooth's I believe is what makes this mascara different from the rest. So if you like the 'each lash defined look', go for it. It's just not the one for me.

on 10/6/2010 10:40:00 AM

Okay I have the worst lashes ever. Short, stiff and blonde. No mascara ever holds the curl.. except this one! I've tried like dozens of different mascaras but this is possibly the best one so far. The only bad thing is that it's a bit hard to remove and I always lose lashes while removing this (tried the non-waterproof one too but it was bad) so that's why I took one lippie off. But I'm not complaining I'm just happy that I finally found a mascara that holds the curl all day long!

on 10/2/2010 11:53:00 AM

UPDATE (21 March 2012): For some reason, it seems like the formulation has changed. It's much more wet than before. My lashes got really weighed down. I tried other mascaras, but found them lacking. My current solution has been to leave the wand out overnight so that it can dry out a bit. This has been working out really well, though it seems clumpier than before. A toothpick is an easy fix to separate the lashes. Despite these issues, I still really like this mascara. But I am downgrading my rating of 5 lippies to 4.

ORIGINAL REVIEW (2 Oct. 2010)Thank you MUA, again! I'd been using Rimmel's Volume Maxx and was really fine with that till I moved to humid NYC. Every time I went out, my lashes went flat and straight within minutes. I wanted some length and a little volume (I find that too much looks really clumpy and heavy). This was perfect. It holds up the curl in my lashes through the humidity and even some rain. I would still recommend an umbrella with this, because no mascara that washes off so easily is completely water-resistant! I just rub a little Vaseline onto my lashes and wipe off any excess. The rest comes off with my Burt's Bees Acne Solutions Facial Cleanser. I haven't had any issues with black mascara rings on my undereyes and I've only spotted a minuscule flake or two on my face from this and that would be after a good 7 - 8 hours of wear. It elongates my lashes so far past where my eyelid crease is, I couldn't stop staring in amazement in the mirror for at least 15 minutes after I put this on for the first time. Don't expect volume from this, for that you will probably want to layer a volumizing mascara with this. This separates lashes so well that I really haven't had any issues with clumps or spidery lashes sticking together. The wand is just a plastic-y wand with short spikes on it. I haven't had any issues so far with it and I actually like it a lot compared to the conventional bristle wands, because it seems to avoid clumps and separates lashes better. All-in-all an A rating!