October 2, 2014 | 1450 users online

Pressed Powders - TheBalm - Sexy Mama

rated 4 of 5 on 12/27/2011 12:54:00 AM More reviews by LeatherStuddedKiss

This product is wonderful. To start off, I have oily and acne-prone skin, so I was very pleased that this product did not break me out. About the product itself, it does a spectacular job setting my make-up and it is perfect for touch ups throughout the day. It is somewhat translucent, but it has color as well, and the tiniest bit of shimmer, the TINIEST, just to give a little bit of a glow to the face. It absorbs oil quite well. It's not a miracle worker, but I'd say it's close. My skin is very oily and by by the end of the day it is usually like an oil slick, but this powder has helped keep the shine down. Absolutely love this product.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/20/2011 12:58:00 AM More reviews by angelixia07

This powder is just wonderful! I'm surprised that it isn't more popular and that I would've never heard of it if it wasn't for a Hautelook sale on theBalm products. To begin, my skin is combination dry and oily most of the time. It's oily because I have naturally oily skin and dry from the use of BP+AHA or RAM. I normally use either EDM mineral makeup or BalmShelter TM, and I set both with Sexy Mama. This powder sets my makeup very well, no matter what I use and it also sets my concealer and minimizes creasing drastically. I love that the finish is very very natural. It in no way looks powdery, just diffused, shine gone and very skin-like and natural. However, the shine control is not very good. I still have to rely on blotting powders although this does cut shine a bit. It doesn't impart any color and is basically translucent. I have extremely acne-prone skin and this has not broken me out. I also love love the packaging, because it doesn't add any balk in addition to the product and is sooo travel friendly. Highly recommend!

rated 4 of 5 on 11/7/2011 12:54:00 AM More reviews by whm167

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

It does what it claims to do :) instantly takes away shine, there's no colour - completely translucent, so there's no excessive powdery finish. The packaging is in a retro-style cardboard case, not a plastic compact, but i still think it's quite cute and it has a mirror inside. I use a buffer brush to apply it or a retractable brush when i'm on the go.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/5/2011 1:21:00 AM More reviews by sara942

Another great product from TheBalm! I found this at TJ Maxx for only $9.99 and I think it's well worth it. It is truly tranlucent--no color at ALL, so it will not make darker skins look chalky. It's also great at absorbing oil. One application with a powder brush in the morning and my t-zone stays shine free all day. Cute, vintage-y compact packaging...the cardboard didn't originally appeal to me but TheBalm's products have so far blown me away with how well they work, so the packaging has ultimately grown on me. Besides, I'm clumsy and like cramming products into small makeup bags so the cardboard keeps the products from breaking and helps them take up minimal space.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/10/2011 12:05:00 PM More reviews by SayItLikeItIs

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I'm in L-O-V-E with this product! I'm 43 and have very dry skin on my face. I use a lot of moisturizer so although my skin isn't oily at all, I do end up quite 'dewy'. I use this to take that down a notch; because when you're in your 40s too much 'dewy' does not come off as youthful, it comes off as 'greasy'.

I apply moisturizer, foundation, and creme blush and then I use this. I make sure to go over my eyelids with whatever is left on the brush so that my eyeshadow goes on smoothly.

All of the finely-milled powders just weren't doing it for me anymore. Even though I don't have wrinkles they gave me a very 'old' cast to my face and heaven forbid I have a dry patch on my skin--then I'd look old, dead and crinkly! This powder does not do that.

I have a very odd shade of skin/undertone. No one ma can ever agree on it. I'm very pale but I seem to have both pink & yellow undertones? I can't do pink-based makeup at all, but sometimes even the lightest of yellow-based shades look too dark & fake on me. If I'm not rockin' self-tanner then I really can't use foundation, I'll use a slightly tinted moisturizer over skin that has a lot of moisturizer on it. (Give me a shout out, please, if your skintone is also like this and you know of any foundations that work with my type of skintone & appear natural.) This powder does not add any color at all to my skin.

I think the packaging is adorable and it is pretty darn sturdy for being cardboard. It doesn't come with a brush, I use a Tarte kabuki brush that I have.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/28/2010 5:18:00 PM More reviews by vmaria

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Other

I love this! Does exactly what's its supposed to, no more no less. It is a very specific product - it eliminate shine and lasts all day without providing coverage or highlighting properties. It is an anti-shine powder and that's all it is, no surprises. I love it because it does one job and does it well. There are many multi-use pressed powders out there that are use to set makeup/concealer, add coverage, etc. but this is exactly what it promises and is dependable. I sweep it onto my T-Zone and do not worry about shine for the rest of the day. Comes in one colour so I'm not sure how well it'd work for darker skinned girls, so that's a minus, and it's pricey in Canada at $30 but I got it on sale and haven't even dented the surface. Adorable packaging with a Marilyn Monroe-esque girl on the front and a handy mirror. Love it!!!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/30/2010 11:09:00 AM More reviews by JulesGrey

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

If you are on the market for a pressed, easy to carry with you blotting powder then this is a good choice. It does mattify wonderfully, especially if applied with a sponge or puff, goes on smoothly and is invisible on the skin. It works wonderfully as a touch up powder as it does not become cakey as you layer it on during the day. So, for oilier skintypes that has to tend to their oiliness frequently no matter what I do recommend this. However, if you really just want something to set your make-up with and then forget about it then this is not for you. I find a loose setting powder sets my make-up much better and that the matte finish I like lasts better with my loose powder too. It is not that this is bad, it is only that it requires me to touch-up more. So, all in all a solid four. It does not get a five because there are better setting and blotting powders on the market.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/11/2010 8:22:00 PM More reviews by xxanaisxx

I bought this online as it was on sale to replace my previous powder, and I'm so glad I did. It's a gorgeous retro packaged pressed powder, and does what it says - it's brilliantly mattifying and provides a great finish to makeup. It's also great for touching up oilys during the day. Very finely milled texture, great quality for the price. Will definitely repurchase.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/30/2010 11:08:00 PM More reviews by machochick

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

It's a mattifying powder...but I prefer not to touch up that much when I got out. And this doesn't really do the job...I prefer the oil blotting papers rather than putting on another layer of powder on my face. This also make my face ashy. Not for all skin type.
I do love the packaging though, and it smells nice.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/22/2010 10:55:00 AM More reviews by maliastyle

I hesitated buying this, because I already have a few blotting and mid-day touch up staples - MAC Blot and Mineralize Skinfinish, to name a couple, which I always use after blotting with Shiseido papers. Seems redundant, but I'm just that oily.

I took a chance on this based on the high reviews, and I'm so glad I did. It's $26, so not your most inexpensive (nor your priciest) option, but it's totally worth it. It looked almost too beige in-store (in fact, I mistook it as a highlighter when I first saw it), but it's completely transluscent. It mattifies like no one's business, but doesn't cake up, nor does it accentuate dry areas. It keeps the oilies at bay a little longer than all of my other blotting powders - perhaps thanks to the perfectly combined mixture of starch, rice, cotton powder and silica. The packaging is cute; I love the graphic of the blond 50s pin up girl, and the biodegradable packaging pleases my eco-friendly self.