TheBalm Sexy Mama

4.2

mica, boron nitride, polyethylene (and) PTFE, zea mays (Corn) starch, silica, isoeicosane, zinc stearate, styrene/DVB copolymer, polyisobutene, dimethylimidinone rice starch, iron oxides CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499, gossypium herbaceum (Cotton) powder, sodium dehydroacetate, dimethicone.

on 3/2/2012 12:28:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

One of my all time FAVORITE powders. This powder is in the Holy Grail class to me. I use it every single day and always keep myself stocked with extras of these. They are easy to travel with, from going to work and quickly placing in your purse to packing in luggage. Depending on what foundation I am using as my base, this powder can act translucent and simply matte my T-zone, help with redness (as I am a very red-prone girl) or it can add a little color and be used for very soft contouring/cheek color.
Like others have said, it won't keep you matte for too long and that's the only problem I have with it. But besides that, this powder is worth giving a try and I will continue to repurchase it as long as it's being made.

on 2/10/2012 7:39:00 PM

Very nice powder. It comes in pressed form and I've found it works well with a puff applicator. Goes on translucent, at least on my N20 skin.

My favorite thing about this powder is how invisible it looks; it leaves no powdery residue and does not dull my skin. On the flip side, it does require reapplication after about four hours. A solid powder, but not HG status.

I received this product as part of the Big Mama trio (Bahama Mama, Sexy Mama and Hot Mama) for only $13 at TJ Maxx. I don't know if I would purchase it full price, but there are a million individual powders on eBay for around $10, and I would re purchase for that price.

on 2/5/2012 3:13:00 PM

I have combo skin, so my tzone is really oily and ever since using this product I have noticed that my skin has been less oily. This translucent powder is definitely a HG product!

on 12/30/2011 8:28:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Absolute HG powder! My face looks totally natural after applying this over my Pur Minerals 4 in 1 powder foundation, and it keeps my face matte throughout the day. I really cannot recommend this powder enough.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

This product is wonderful. To start off, I have oily and acne-prone skin, so I was very pleased that this product did not break me out. About the product itself, it does a spectacular job setting my make-up and it is perfect for touch ups throughout the day. It is somewhat translucent, but it has color as well, and the tiniest bit of shimmer, the TINIEST, just to give a little bit of a glow to the face. It absorbs oil quite well. It's not a miracle worker, but I'd say it's close. My skin is very oily and by by the end of the day it is usually like an oil slick, but this powder has helped keep the shine down. Absolutely love this product.

on 12/20/2011 12:58:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

This powder is just wonderful! I'm surprised that it isn't more popular and that I would've never heard of it if it wasn't for a Hautelook sale on theBalm products. To begin, my skin is combination dry and oily most of the time. It's oily because I have naturally oily skin and dry from the use of BP+AHA or RAM. I normally use either EDM mineral makeup or BalmShelter TM, and I set both with Sexy Mama. This powder sets my makeup very well, no matter what I use and it also sets my concealer and minimizes creasing drastically. I love that the finish is very very natural. It in no way looks powdery, just diffused, shine gone and very skin-like and natural. However, the shine control is not very good. I still have to rely on blotting powders although this does cut shine a bit. It doesn't impart any color and is basically translucent. I have extremely acne-prone skin and this has not broken me out. I also love love the packaging, because it doesn't add any balk in addition to the product and is sooo travel friendly. Highly recommend!

on 11/7/2011 12:54:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

It does what it claims to do :) instantly takes away shine, there's no colour - completely translucent, so there's no excessive powdery finish. The packaging is in a retro-style cardboard case, not a plastic compact, but i still think it's quite cute and it has a mirror inside. I use a buffer brush to apply it or a retractable brush when i'm on the go.

on 9/5/2011 1:21:00 AM

Another great product from TheBalm! I found this at TJ Maxx for only $9.99 and I think it's well worth it. It is truly tranlucent--no color at ALL, so it will not make darker skins look chalky. It's also great at absorbing oil. One application with a powder brush in the morning and my t-zone stays shine free all day. Cute, vintage-y compact packaging...the cardboard didn't originally appeal to me but TheBalm's products have so far blown me away with how well they work, so the packaging has ultimately grown on me. Besides, I'm clumsy and like cramming products into small makeup bags so the cardboard keeps the products from breaking and helps them take up minimal space.

on 3/10/2011 12:05:00 PM

I'm in L-O-V-E with this product! I'm 43 and have very dry skin on my face. I use a lot of moisturizer so although my skin isn't oily at all, I do end up quite 'dewy'. I use this to take that down a notch; because when you're in your 40s too much 'dewy' does not come off as youthful, it comes off as 'greasy'.

I apply moisturizer, foundation, and creme blush and then I use this. I make sure to go over my eyelids with whatever is left on the brush so that my eyeshadow goes on smoothly.

All of the finely-milled powders just weren't doing it for me anymore. Even though I don't have wrinkles they gave me a very 'old' cast to my face and heaven forbid I have a dry patch on my skin--then I'd look old, dead and crinkly! This powder does not do that.

I have a very odd shade of skin/undertone. No one ma can ever agree on it. I'm very pale but I seem to have both pink & yellow undertones? I can't do pink-based makeup at all, but sometimes even the lightest of yellow-based shades look too dark & fake on me. If I'm not rockin' self-tanner then I really can't use foundation, I'll use a slightly tinted moisturizer over skin that has a lot of moisturizer on it. (Give me a shout out, please, if your skintone is also like this and you know of any foundations that work with my type of skintone & appear natural.) This powder does not add any color at all to my skin.

I think the packaging is adorable and it is pretty darn sturdy for being cardboard. It doesn't come with a brush, I use a Tarte kabuki brush that I have.

on 12/28/2010 5:18:00 PM

I love this! Does exactly what's its supposed to, no more no less. It is a very specific product - it eliminate shine and lasts all day without providing coverage or highlighting properties. It is an anti-shine powder and that's all it is, no surprises. I love it because it does one job and does it well. There are many multi-use pressed powders out there that are use to set makeup/concealer, add coverage, etc. but this is exactly what it promises and is dependable. I sweep it onto my T-Zone and do not worry about shine for the rest of the day. Comes in one colour so I'm not sure how well it'd work for darker skinned girls, so that's a minus, and it's pricey in Canada at $30 but I got it on sale and haven't even dented the surface. Adorable packaging with a Marilyn Monroe-esque girl on the front and a handy mirror. Love it!!!

Recommended for Normal Skin