Maybelline Define-A-Brow

4.2

Ethylhexyl Stearate, Carnauba (Copernicia Cerifera) Wax, Hydrogenated Palm Kernel Glycerides, Silica, Hydrogenated Palm Glycerides, Aloe Vera (Aloe Barbadensis) Extract, Methylparaben, Tocopherol, Tin Oxide, Calcium Aluminum Borosilicate, Calcium Sodium Borosilicate, Retinyl Palmitate, Propylparaben, Synthetic Fluorphlogopite, Ethylparaben, May Contain (+/-):, CI 77492, CI 77499, CI 77491 (Iron Oxides), Mica, CI 77007 (Ultramarines), CI 75470 (Carmine) (Carmine), CI 77000 (Aluminum Powder), CI 77163 (Bismuth Oxychloride) (Bismuth Oxychloride), CI 77288 (Chromium Oxide Greens) (Chromium Oxide Greens), CI 77289 (Chromium Hydroxide Green) (Chromium Hydroxide Green), CI 77400 (Copper Powder) (Bronze Powder), CI 77400 (Copper Powder), CI 77510 (Ferric Ammonium Ferrocyanide), CI 77742 (Manganese Violet) (Manganese Violet), CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide) (Titanium Dioxide), FD&C Blue 1 (Blue 1 Lake), FD&C Yellow 5 Aluminum Lake (Yellow 5 Lake)

on 4/13/2013 12:04:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

I had high hopes here but I really did not like this product. I have tried using it various ways; one line, small strokes, small strokes then blending, stippling, light hand, heavy hand etc, and every time my brows wind up looking fake and drawn on. I have dark brown hair, almost black - it seems all eyebrow products for dark brown lean towards red. The staying power is a joke as far as I can tell, I can rub it off by licking my finger and rubbing the product away.
I will stick to my Revlon ColorStay Brow Enhancer, the wax looks super natural and is a better colour match for my hair. It also truly lasts all day without rubbing off, melting away nor smearing.

on 4/8/2013 11:40:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

I'm a blond, so I find the most natural-looking method of filling in my brows has to be with a powder or a pencil with a dryer formula. Define-A-Brow is too waxy for me; I don't want to be able to see the colour on my actual skin beneath the hairs. I really like the comb on the end for my eyelashes though.

UPDATE: I've learned to make this work for my very blonde eyebrows. My facial hair is very fair, yet I like a bolder brow, so it did take quite a bit of growth in technique to get to this point with this product. Since revisiting it, I like it for its fine tip. It does take a long time to get full but natural-looking brows, as blondes will likely find you have to be gentle and precise, essentially drawing in hair at a time. It also fades throughout the day, but a gel will likely fix that.

on 4/2/2013 7:04:00 PM

If MAC's Eye Brows in Spiked is a 9 (nothing's perfect!), this pencil in Dark Brown rates an 8! One suggestion for improvement: a spoolie at the end instead of the current comb.

BUT THIS SHADE HAS BEEN DISCONTINUED!! It's official, and now off Maybelline's website. Major sad face. I have black hair, so only the Dark Brown works for me. If you can find this, stock up!!

on 3/20/2013 4:13:00 AM

I have tried a variety of drugstore and department store eyebrow pencils, but I liked this one overall, even though I admittedly have not tried the MAC eyebrow product that it is compared with in these reviews.

It definitely did its job for me in filling my eyebrows. The mechanical applicator is easy to use and its thinness makes it easy for a precise application.

I am unsure why this product has a relatively low rating for packaging. The twisting cap worked fine for me.

The product lasted a bit longer for me than comparable drugstore/department store eyebrow pencils, so not sure about the complaints about little product.

I tried this product in medium brown, and I agree that it is a bit red in shade and would not work as well with someone who has more cool undertones. You can probably try to avoid the red by making finer strokes instead of heavy, long strokes (but you shouldn't be filling brows with a very heavy hand anyway).

I probably will try out the dark brown color next time to see if that one is less red than the medium, but I would still happily repurchase the define-a-brow product in general.

Skin: Normal, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Coarse

I got this after reading several reviews on YT,blogs about how this this pencil was a dupe for the Mac one. Being as the small area I live in I only have the option to order or drive to a Mac counter. So when I was out of my Strut pencil I happen to grab this one day. I was a little bummer they didn't have a color close to strut but,but I grabbed the dark brown & it works for when my hair isn't done. Overall this is a nice brow pencil & the comb on the end is a plus. I'll def keep it for a back up.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

I used to use this all of the time, and it's been awhile but I do remember that I loved it. It stays on, I love the little brush that comes with it, and it looks natural but also is dark enough for really sparse brows. Love.

on 2/27/2013 11:19:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

When I first started using this product, much like other people's thoughts, I believed I had found a dup for MAC's brow pencil. After switching back and fourth between the two products, I have to say, not quite. I am someone with VERY FEW eyebrow hairs. I have to draw on my entire eyebrow, which means I need to be very careful of accidentally rubbing it off, or if someone accidentally hits my brows, I need something that is going to stay.

While this brow pencil would be good for someone who simply needs to fill in a bit, I'd say steer away if you are like me and need to literally draw on your eyebrows. It does not stay put as well as the MAC brow pencils by any means. I give the product a 4 as most people do have more eyebrow hairs than I do, and it would work perfectly fine for them.

on 2/27/2013 9:41:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I was previously using the Anastasia Brow Wiz pencil in the color Brunette when I unfortunately ran out. I was going crazy looking for a quick substitute that was similar to my beloved brow pencil and I must say, Maybelline Define a Brow is nearly identical. I LOVE the thin pencil because of allows you to make thin strokes for a more natural hair-like look. It's not too creamy to wear it looks fake and the Medium Brown color was a perfect match for me. AMAZING PRODUCT!

on 2/19/2013 11:32:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I tried this in medium and dark brown, medium is way to reddish but dark brown is a good ash brown and since it's not incredibly creamy it doesn't seem to go on to dark. Comb on the end is useless-every brow brush should come with a spoolie! Not sure how long it will last so we'll see if it's worth it but for someone that is never satisfied with the ashyness in brown brow pencils I think I would keep purchasing it. Some are saying dark brown has been discontinued-I live in Canada and there are still a lot here but maybe they will get rid of it. My other fav brow pencil is universal dark brown by annabelle, it is pretty much the exact same as this one.

on 2/16/2013 9:09:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I love this pencil! I used to splurge and get the Anastasia brow pencil for $20 and this is for the fraction of the cost! For 6 bucks who can beat that!

I do love how it's thin and waxed based and glides smoothly making it more natural looking.

One of the cons is the comb on the end of the pencil. I wish there was a mascara tip brush at the end but hey I can use another brush.

Popular Brows Products