MAC Paint Pot in Soft Ochre

4.2

Isodocecane, dimethicone, polyethylene, hydrogenated polyisobutene, quaternium-90 bentonite, dimethicone silylate, octyldodecanol, silica, trihydroxystearin, retinyl palmitate, tocopheryl acetate, lecithin, carnauba wax, propylene carbonate, triethoxycaprylylsilane. May contain: mica, titanium dioxide, iron oxides, bismuth oxychloride, blue 1 lake, carmine, chromium hydroxide green, chromium oxide greens ferric ferroxyanide, manganese violet, ultramarines, yellow 5 lake.

on 2/8/2013 7:12:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Warm

I use this as an eye shadow primer and I love it so much! I can't even put it in words. I will repurchase again again and again!

on 1/18/2013 2:50:00 PM

This is the second paint pot in my collection and unfortunately, the second one that disappoints me(I also have Painterly). This one is much better for my skin tone and it cancels out all redness/darkness on my eyelid, but like Painterly, it doesn't work for me as an eyeshadow base. I have oily eyelids and this product does not prevent my e/s from creasing, no more than 2 hours at least. It also needs to be blended quite well or else it will look a little weird and patchy in some areas of your eyelid. I don't know if I would buy this paint pot again because I was mainly looking for an e/s base that could also cancel the darkness on my lids(otherwise I have the Too Faced Shadow Insurance which I love), and this does only the latter but it does so very well.

on 1/8/2013 11:55:00 AM

I originally bought this as a shadow primer, but forgot my undereye concealer one day, and decided to try this to see what would happen. I am in LOVE with soft ochre as an allover lid and undereye concealer, and it matches my skin *perfectly*. All I need is a very thin layer, blended well, and I have no lines, no crepiness, no separating- this stays put until I take it off. I have very dark undereye circles, and a thin layer of the paint pot does a better job of concealing than a more heavily applied heavy-duty concealer (like Dermablend, etc.). This has become an HG staple for me, and I would be devastated if MAC discontinued it.

on 12/30/2012 1:06:00 PM

I've tried many things to prep my es. MAC paint pots are always raved in the beauty blog/YouTube world so I bought one. I choose soft ochre as opposed to painterly because the color matched my lids better.

I was pretty disappointed. This worked about as good as the ELF $1 primer which didn't work for me. One reason I thought it didn't work was because I don't have oily lids. Everyone who raves about paint pots seems to have oily lids. But if you have normal lids like me, pass it up! I may use this to conceal or highlight but not as an es primer.

on 12/27/2012 1:15:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I purchased this paint pot with the intention of using it as an eyeshadow primer. Given that I have olive skin (NC35/40 in the winter, a bit higher in the summer), I chose Soft Ochre over Painterly, which has more pinkish undertones. The SA also recommended this shade to me because I tend to wear warm-toned shadows more often, and Painterly workers better as a base for cool-toned eyeshadows. My interest in trying this product was largely motivated by the fact that I was looking for alternatives to Too Faced Shadow Insurance...while definitely an excellent primer, TFSI makes blending many of my shadows very difficult, and I was hoping that the Paint Pot would resolve that issue. Here's what I have experienced so far:
Pros: Soft Ochre, while definitely significantly lighter than the skin on my eyelids, does do a nice job of evening out the skin tone there so that shadow colors appear more true. It was also relatively easy to apply smoothly, though since it lacks the silicone feel and transparency of TFSI it is not as effortless to apply as TFSI. However, it did make blending shadows a bit easier than with TFSI, and my shadows did not crease or change color during the day. I also think that the amount of product you receive for the price is pretty fair, given that just a tiny amount is needed for each use.
Cons: The packaging...it's not as sanitary as TFIS, and I'm afraid that this paint pot will dry up before I hit the bottom of the little glass jar - this is a non-issue with the TFSI tube. Also (and this is a big negative), if you have any dryness on your lids and/or brow bone, Soft Ochre magnifies it considerably. (I have an eye cream with retinol to thank for the dryness I'm currently experiencing). Once the dryness is under control, though, I think that this product will work wonderfully, both as a primer or all by itself.
ETA: Now that the dryness around my eyes has gone away, I gave this paint pot another try and am happy to report that it worked very well to keep eye shadow creases and color changes under control. I would just re-emphasize the fact that a little goes a long way with Soft Ochre, making this an even better buy in the long run.

on 12/19/2012 7:25:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

This is my second favorite paint pot thus far (second to Painterly) The reason it's second is because this color is more yellow while the painterly is more beige and blends in with my skin better. I use this as an eye primer for my lighter looks. (whites, nudes, etc) Great staying power. Very creamy.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I am not a big fan of this product - I was looking for something that would double up as an eyeshadow primer but unfortunately this makes even my MAC eyeshadows to become a bit pale and more matte than I would like them to be and it creases more than my Benefit creaseless cream es/liner at the end of the day.

Instead I use it also as an undereye concealer and it works quite well in that way.
I am keeping the pot inside of the cardboard box it came in to prevent it drying too fast. So far after 6 months of occasional use it is still going strong though I know better primers. Next time I should go with a slightly less matte colour.

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

This is a good eye shadow base to have in your stash, I like the fact that it evens out my eyelids and helps my eye shadow to stay on longer but it seems to feel a bit heavy, if that's the word I'm looking for. By mid day I can feel that I have a "base" on, that's the reason I gave it 4 stars. I also found the best way to apply it is to use your finger, blend it over the lid and then pat it in, it gets rid of any "uneven" spots that I seem to get when I don't pat it on. Overall I do really like the product, makes my shadow more vibrant and my eyes look bright and awake.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I have oily lids and being native american, I have very hooded eyes. This is the only product that acts as an effective eye primer for me. And I use it as an undereye concealer, too.

on 10/27/2012 9:42:00 PM

Soft Ochre is an extremely warm (yelllow based) paint pot that can be used as an eyeshadow base... and some say primer. Although I don't get any creasing when I use it, I do find that my shadows fade a little quicker than if I used UD Primer Potion. I like Soft Ochre because it covers all the redness on my eyelid, but the formula is definitely a bit dry -- much drier than Painterly. I did a full review and comparison with swatches between Soft Ochre and Painterly on my blog if you would like to check it out:

Top Rated MAC Products