Paula's Choice Beautypedia.com

3.4

Not tested on animals

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

well,I've been doing some research on beautypedia and ingredients and I have a medical background.there are some points that I like to write:

1)I use lierac paris deridium balance and it has horsetaile and alchemila extracts both which paula says are irritating but after using this moisturizer my skin really feels great and glowing not irritation at all and my break outs are going away.

2) As far as I know a mask or toner sometimes should have alcohol to accelarate the chemical components absorbtion into the skin and better cleansing.and of course its not a good idea to add alcohol to a moisturizer in a high level.

3)Clinique foundation for acne prone skins gets a high rate despite the fact that alcohol is listed in the first line ,and a moisturiser from another brand gets a frown because of that.

4)There are lots of ingredients which won't be denaturated even if there are in a jar and of course the skin care experts know about that and if it was the way paula thinks why some serious skin care manufactures still use jars for some of the products?I know that some chemicals like ascorbic acid will denaturate but not all of them.

5)when I use lemon or mint products my zits become smaller!

6) Neutrogena fresh foaming cleanser gets an excellent rate why Nivea cleansing gel for combination skins which have the similar ingredients because of small amount of perfume gets a frown despite the fact that its a rinse off product as paula says.

7) why exuviance evening complex does't get a excellent rate even after its not in a jar but Olay regenerist products mostly get an excellent or higher rates just because of the niacinamid or vit B3?despite the fact that as the ingredients show the exuviance should get a higher mark.
..............
she raves about olay and clinique.
but there some good points too,she is right ,lots of the very high end and expensive products are rubbish really rubbish full of silicons and thickeners like armani,dior,chanel,guinot.... and even l'oreal.

on 6/30/2011 5:50:00 PM

Although I think this is a great site, I feel that the reviews of the facial products such as moisturizers, eye creams etc. are much more appropriate as they are based on pure scientific data and are very interesting to read, but the reviews on the makeup can be really off as I believe they are very subjective and based on Paula's own personal opinions. She discredits a lot of really wonderful products that I personally love (and I am a product/makeup junkie!!) and recommends a lot that I have tried and don't care for. Her own makeup is pretty bad and she rates it as tops. Her concealer is so awful, yet she rates Bobbi Brown's as not good and I think it's awesome, especially the corrector which she claims is horrible. Use your own judgment regarding makeup products but follow her claims on facial products.

on 5/31/2011 7:12:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

It's free now! Woohoo! This website is so valuable to me. I have sensitive skin that seems to react to everything so I take her advice on products for sensitive skin very seriously. By following her advice and using it as a basis for my own more specific research, I have solved most of my skin reaction problems. I don't mean I think she's always right for everyone, but she provides good, clear information from which I can make my own decisions. Her website taught me to read labels, taught me that I don't have to spend a fortune for a good product, and not all "chemicals" are bad. I don't always agree with her makeup performance reviews, but I do read them to check whether the product may aggravate my skin. Often I fall victim to advertising and pretty bottles and go against her advice, and have been stupid to do so. I bet she gets to say, "I told you so" to a lot of us with sensitive skin!

Worth reading and understanding what ingredients are important in skincare. Provides a good set of criteria that help to make your own evaluation of the product. But in my view the following reservations apply:
1.Paula does not comment on theallergic side-effects of sunscreens and does not compare suncreens in this respect. Because of this, her recomendations cost me quite a bit of money when I bought various highly rated creams that my skin reacted to (eg, MAC Strobe Cream, Clinique Superdefence etc)
2. Paula's views on makeup are qwuite subjective. For example, she does not like eye pencils that need sharpening and gives any such pencil a medium rating.
3. Price and her rating often seem to be in inverse proportion, and if she highly rates a drug-store product, in my experience it performs considerably poorer that the more expensive products of the same functionality.

on 3/30/2011 11:15:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I use all the time her cosmetic ingredients list, so, thanks to this, I can judge the products by myself and I'm doing a good job. But sometimes, when I'm not completely sure about a product I like to go there and read the reviews to see what she have to say. Sometimes bothers me that she gives bad reviews to some products only because one ingredient, even if the product is full of good ingredients, and really makes a great job (i.e. Arcona Golden Grain Gommage), but is just not enough for her. Or when a product has a new, special, rare ingredient, if she ignores what is it, is bad. Also, I hate that she gives perfect rating to her products when her products are just ordinary drugstore-like products full of silicones and trash that I don't really like to see in my skin care products. I know that products really need preservatives, especially when are natural, and sometimes detergents are needed on cleansers, but I prefer a balanced skin care routine than a full of chemicals and trash one, like Paula's Choice. Now I know why she's against natural products.
I like when she talks about products' packaging, though, I'm agree with her on this.

on 2/21/2011 8:19:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Cool

Beautypedia has saved me from spending $$s on dept store cosmetics. Yes I still buy some but I always check with Beautypedia first. Yes I have found some where I don't agree with and I've let her know either through twitter or sent an email. Of course everything works differently for different people. Yes she does promote her products but she also recommends others. Some of her reviews of Olay I don't agree with. Also, some of her reviews of foundations I find to be totally off base but I realize she's looking at ingredients not so much as experience with the product.

- I always take all the reviews on beautypedia with a grain of salt, but nevertheless I do think that Paula and her team are more honest then anyone else in the business and in my opinion you do get your moneys worth. (I used the half off coupon code both times).
- Now I dont always agree with her makeup reviews (once in a while her top picks are loosers for me, but to be fair some mua top picks are also products I have tried and disliked). For skincare I really do think her reviews are incredibly helpful. I don't know what I would do without them. My skin would probably be a mess because I would probably end up using products that harm instead of help my skin.
- I actually check both beautypedia and mua before making purchases which may seem a bit too much for some, but to each their own and I have learned that impulse purchases are rarely worth it.
- If any of you are at all curious I just wanted to let you know that for beautypedia is FREE for everyone so its definitely worth checking out because you have nothing to lose.

on 10/21/2010 3:17:00 PM

To me, Beautypedia provides a useful perspective. It is really helpful to have a voice of reason out there debunking some of the nonsense that the cosmetic companies try to put over on consumers. (I have first hand experience with this as I worked in the industry for years). I think that is exactly what Paula set out to do, and that is what she does. However, I make up my own mind about these things. Skin care, cosmetics is very subjective and just because something doesn't work for someone else doesn't mean it won't work for me. Where skincare and make up are concerned its always a combination of ingredients, desired effect etc. that are all very personal. She just provides another perspective, and btw I quite enjoy her touch of humor. I have enjoyed reading her reviews, but by no means to I take it as gospel. You have to take charge of your own decisions, and Paula's site just provides information so that you can do that! Go Paula.....

on 7/10/2010 3:35:00 AM

I like Paula's book and website (I subscribed at half price). She provides very useful yet very accessible information on the composition of products and strip them of all the fancy marketing claims. I think she is doing a great job at informing and educating consumers.
I got rid of some Elemis, Eau Thermale, Nars, Giorgio Armani and other products that were potentially unsutable for my skin. By reading Paula's reviews I discovered other products that otherwise I would have not used.
It is still up to me if I want to splurge on a Bumble & Bumble shampoo even if a high street shampoo would deliver the same result. But now I make a choice based on objective facts.
4 lippies as I do not like Paula's bitter/critical approach of some of her reviews.
** EDIT: I have now used this website for over 8 months and I do not agree with 90% of the reviews, Paula says some products are rubbish and they work great for me, Paula says some products are great and they work rubbish for me. I can't understand how she can say that something is good/bad just by looking at the ingredients. Especially make up:you have to try products to say what they are like. I hate Clinique and I think it is total rubbish, she raves about it. Kerastase? Nowhere to be found. It is a decent point of reference, but take it with a pinch of salt. Now the website is free and you have to claim the refund within a certain deadline. Really cheap, the refund should be automatic. And the special refund/gift does not work fir the UK. Paula, you should start walk the talk. Less than impressed.

on 7/2/2010 4:04:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I really liked the idea that a professional reviews the products of other brands other than hers. I thought that she made an honest job and still think in a way that she still does. Personally, I do not have an easy skin, which is dry and sensitive and therefore, I have to be very picky. Her choices and recommendations rarely coincide with mine. Evertime, I have to come back to MUA and research her thoughts and recommendations. But still, it could be used as a second source.

Popular Other Products