April 24, 2014 | 2097 users online

Other - Paula's Choice - Beautypedia.com

rated 5 of 5 on 3/9/2010 4:50:00 PM More reviews by AKmedic

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I also got my Beautypedia subscription at 50% off. I love Paula's expertise, but sometimes her snarky reviews and smugness grate on my nerves. Still, the snark has saved my skin a lot of grief and hassle, as I am able to steer clear of beauty disasters instead of throwing money down the drain like I used to. Her reviews are scientific and I think she's trustworthy. I still read reviews on MUA, but I really like Paula's Beautypedia.

Like many others, I don't like how she has the site set up. I like to open links in a new tab, but the site won't let you do that. It makes the site slow and awkward to navigate.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/19/2010 11:28:00 PM More reviews by taharrell

Had a year's subscription for half price. Like many others, I would cross reference products from Paula's lists to MUA usually finding that opinions differed greatly. When it came time to renew this year, I choose not too. I've found that using MUA's filters on age & skin type give me a better idea if a product might work for me than Beautypedia which only filters on skin type.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/4/2010 4:03:00 AM More reviews by Paulygirl21

Used the coupon code and received half-off discount.
I have to credit Paula for really educating me about skin care and makeup. At the age of 15, I checked out her book DGTTCCWOM and my interest in skin care began. Or maybe I should say obsession? I’m always on the lookout for more information and better products. Not to mention, beauty products are real luxury items for me these days. I can no longer afford to throw money away on impulse purchases. I highly recommend using beautypedia.com in conjunction with this site. By checking her review, then the general consensus here, you can be informed before you buy. The only gripe I can muster about Paula’s site is the limited amount of brand reviews. She doesn’t add many new reviews very often, either. For this reason, I can’t justify renewing (though the discounted cost is certainly reasonable), save for reference purposes. As with her book, there are far too many new products to keep up with (it would be impossible to do so). While I do agree with others that she *should* actually test the products, rather than just check ingredient lists, I find MUA more than makes up for that. All in all, beautypedia is a great resource-just don’t see myself “buying again”. Though I will certainly update if I should change my mind.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/26/2009 8:56:00 AM More reviews by Shamim81

Like others have said here, don't go EXACTLY about what Paula says. Some of her reviews I dont agree with specially for make up. I have some products that I love and she hates. But when it comes to skin care I listen carefully but I never base everything on her opinion only. Thank god for MUA, I love MUA!!! But keep in mind she favours some brands more than others, her own ofcourse, Olay I tink is her fave beause I havent seen a product she gives a sad face. The worst she gives them is Neutral. I mean they must have ONE that's really not good or neutral. Dont get me wrong I LOVE Olay, I use most of their stuff but there are other comparable.
Love MUA more than beautypedia since real people do the reviews because I think if you are reviewing for a living you probably dont use a product for a long time to if at all. I just consult beautypedia for skincare. For makeup i stongnly disagree with some stuff. But both these sites complement eachother and I've saved some money and spent it on some great products otherwise I'd never consider. I will subscribe again and again for the 50% off I get to beautypedia.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/25/2009 3:35:00 PM More reviews by Lillapink

Ohhh.. beautypedia. What can I say? I have found many inconsistencies in ingredient lists, and very much disagree with some of her ratings on some products, although I do like to check it occasionally. I'm also mad because all her Paula's Picks for the anti acne section contain BP. HELLO?! What about people that can't use it, or are allergic? NO ALTERNATIVES. it just makes me mad :(

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/26/2009 9:36:00 PM More reviews by polarpooch

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

This site has probably saved me hundreds of dollars already. I've been on for less than a year. A lot of the high end stuff that I might be tempted to try (and almost universally hate), I can avoid based on the reviews on Beautypedia. It also gave me a new insight into how skin care and makeup is formulated. I discovered after trying a few of the foundation products that there IS life after Jane Iredale. I found my super favorite Clinique Almost Powder by reading the reviews on Beautypedia and trying it. MUCH better (and less than 1/2 the price) of JI. I found liquid foundations I could tolerate based on the site. Found GREAT, inexpensive skin care products, and makeup products. I used to be supremely snobby in my selections...in my mind $$$ meant better products. Thank you, Paula, for teaching me the error of that way of thinking! And I learned the importance of antioxidants, exfoliation and how other ingredients work on the skin. I love that she footnotes her reviews and cites her research. I'm pleased to see someone willing to bust some of the BS of the beauty industry. She does get a bit zealous at times (she seems hell bent on ripping every new peptide that comes along!) , but that's balanced against the MASS of great information she's compiled. As for how a product works, I do check the user ratings on MUA...but I no longer exclusively use MUA (no offense). My skin looks better, my makeup looks better and I'm spending less, and don't have a pile of unused products that I purchased but hated. Worth the $25 a year. I'll renew when my year is up.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/20/2009 5:25:00 AM More reviews by mapn

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Green

Though I really like Paula's general outlook on cosmetics and skincare, I've found that many products she doesn't recommend suit me perfectly, and several products she recommends break me out or cause other problems. So the reviews as such don't offer much value for me. For that purpose I use MUA ;) I think the most important thing I get out of Beautypedia is all the ingredient lists. I can almost always count on finding the ingredient lists that I can't seem to find anywhere else on the internet. And the database is constantly expanding. The database was also renewed recently and now it's much more functional and user-friendly. For that I think I'm willing to invest $25 a year.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/9/2009 6:21:00 AM More reviews by Jocky80

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I did use Beautypedia for 1 year, and it was ok. nothing life changing but fun to have.
I got the "BP 50" code when I orded the "don't go to the....nr.7" so why not try it.
For the first 6 months I did only use it as fun, The reviews were all the same as in the book. In the end things started to change there, new stuff did come in and it got better.
I havn't had it now for 4 months and do I miss it... Sometimes. I am looking for new stuff and for that it is helpful to some degree.
Not all of her review and Paula's picks have been HG material for me. I did spend around 250€ on new stuff after reading her books and almost non of it worked for me!
Also only a small amount of the products that she talks about you can buy here where I live.
What I do when I buy products is to look at the Inci list and see if it contains good/bad stuff for me. Then go on line to MUA to se what people with my skintype + acne prone say about it. Last I google it and if it is makeup thing I go to Youtube.
What is funny is that sometimes Paula's picks and what people think of it the opposite.
I think the research behind the reviews a great, but in the end people have to like it.
For the price that Beautypedia is today, I'm not going to buy it. If I get a new -50%, then I going to try it once again.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/9/2009 5:40:00 AM More reviews by lygophilia

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have been using both Beautypedia and MUA to compliment each other to help me make wiser and more knowledgeable choices in my m/u and skincare choices. I find Paula has good advice and recommendations, but I always cross reference with MUA as real people have tried the items that I'm interested in and give real life experience and reviews. Beautypedia can be really frustrating at time as I have found a lot of the product information is out dated, either discontinued or reformulated. Also slow to review new products on the scene that I might want to try. I'm sitting on the fence as to whether I want to renew my subscription as I was disappointed there is no forum and the site can be frustrating to navigate through at times. On the positive side she has provided me knowledge and products that have greatly enhanced my skin and choices in products.
UPDATE: I renewed my subscription after I let it lapsed because it was cheaper then with the 50% off coupon available at www.retailmenot.com then the offer her site kept providing me as my subscription was coming to an end. I have found that the last few months she (and her company) are providing more reviews on relevant products that I'm interested in which was a contributing factor in my decision to renew.

UPDATE: I'm still enjoying and using Beautypedia, but love it even more now that it's FREE!!! I have noticed that the product review are more frequent now, plus there is an APP available, and I have been enjoying listening to her radio show on Itunes Podcast.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/8/2009 3:55:00 PM More reviews by dpenn

I love Beautypedia. I initially found the hardcopy verion of this at a used bookstore, and I was hooked...tons of useful information. The online version is all that, plus ingredient lists.

I admit, some of the reviews are outdated, and after cross-checking some of the ingredient lists, there were differences from some of the products I owned, but this could either have been due to the company reformulating, or the products being different here in Canada.

Either way, well worth the investment...coupon codes can often be found online for 50% off, etc.

People are always hatin' on poor Paula...I often find it's when their long-time favourite product got a bad review. She meerly offers information, no one is forcing anyone to switch their products.

Update - now that this is free, I love it even more! I refer to it almost daily.