Maybelline Eyestudio Lasting Drama Gel Eyeliner (All Shades)

3.9

cyclopentasiloxane, propylsilsesquioxane, ceresin, isodecane, cyclohexasiloxane, caprylyl methicone, synthetic fluorphlogopite, silica silyate, disteardimonium hectorite, disodium stearoyl glutamate, propylene carbonate, candelilla wax, caprylyl glycol, aluminum hydroxide, calcium sodium borosilicate, calcium aluminum borosilicate, silica, tin oxide. [ ci 77491, ci 77492, ci 77499/iron oxides, mica, ci 77491/titanium dioxide, ci 77007/ultramarines, ci 77510/ferric ferrocyanide, ci 77288/chromium oxide greens, ci 77289/chromium hydroxide green, ci 77742/manganese violet, ci 42090/blue 1 lake, ci 19140/yellow 5 lake, ci 77510/ferric ammonium ferrocyanide]

on 12/5/2011 10:36:00 PM

After reading raving reviews about this product, I was curious to try it. Since I was new to gel eyeliner at the time, I figured that this product would be an excellent way to try it because it is cheap. After using this product for a few weeks, I have mixed feeling. I really liked the little brush that was included because I found that it was quite easy to use. I was also quite pleased that the eyeliner did not smudge at all since I have read in many of the reviews that people were having issues with smudging. On the downside, this product was poorly pigmented. I used 'Very Black" and I was quite disappointed. In general, I would never consider this to be the worst gel eyeliner, but it has aspects that need improvement.

EDIT: I guess I must have just bought a faulty product the first time because I decided to give this another try and I love it! The texture is far more creamy and pigmented than before. It would seem that I just have bad luck with buying those rare products with defects. I can know see why everyone loves this eyeliner so much.

on 12/4/2011 10:09:00 AM

I bought this product on a whim because i've never owned a gel liner and have wanted to try one for so long. At first I really liked it, it was creamy and had a usable brush. But now, about 2 months after buying it, its pretty much dried up beyond the point of actual use. Instead of being creamy/ gel-like, it has the consistency of a dried up cream shadow, which results in hard application and fall out...I thought that was only supposed to happen with eyeshadows. But keeping in mind that the one i bought is the purple with shimmers, i might try the black one (without shimmer) eventually and it might not dry out so quickly.

on 12/3/2011 11:59:00 PM

My first gel eyeliner & I am hooked. I love the brush that comes in this kit and the eye liner lasts all day. It goes on easy and comes off easily. What more can i say?

on 11/28/2011 2:35:00 PM

This is a really affordable, dark dark dark (if you buy the black, that is) gel liner from Maybelline. I have previously used Bobbi Brown and Clinique gel liners, and find the Maybelline one to be as excellent in quality as those more expensive ones - with an actually usable brush (though I typically use my own slanted brush). Factor in ease of application, and this liner blows 'em out of the water. It's really easy to glide on, applies opaquely so you don't have to go over your line two or three times, and laaaaaaaaaaasts. Don't rule out other brands though...you have to go to them get the REALLY fun colors :) But this is perfect for everyday black liner, and I will for sure repurchase for 6 bucks at Target!

on 11/27/2011 4:17:00 PM

I wasn't too sure whqat to expect with this eyeliner, but I really wanted to try a gel liner, and wasn't ready to fork over the money for MAC's fluid line. Overall this applies very creamy and dries pretty quick. The brush that comes with it makes application easy. I think I will buy this again, once it runs out.

on 11/26/2011 9:28:00 PM

I got this in Brown. It is an unusually light shade compared to most "brown" eyeliners. However, it lasts and lasts. It takes a lot of time to put this stuff on... two coats, easy to mess up lines, cleaning the brush, making sure I don't let the gel dry out... I prefer my Master Drama Eyeliner pencil for most days and that's why it gets 4 stars instead of 5.

on 11/25/2011 10:58:00 AM

Eyeliner is my must-have makeup item no matter where I go so I've been for a long time trying to find a good one that won't smudge, lasts long and is pigmented. I've tried several brands and types before (Revlon, Bourjois, Sephora/ liquid and pencil) but none of them were really satisfactory. I was initially going to get the M.A.C in Blacktrack but was hesitating because of the price (and I still needed to get the brush!!) so I decided to give the Maybelline one a try after reading the reviews in MUA. The Maybelline one cost $19.90 in Sg (regular price).

Since then I've been using it almost daily for a month now, and so far no major complains. The eyeliner is VERY pigmented so the small jar can take you a long way. It does smudge, actually, but only by a bit at the outer edges of my eyes (because I tend to do the cat-eye flick). But it doesn't fade otherwise, so no touch-ups are necessary.

Perhaps the major gripe would be of the brush. It is the round, tapered tip kind so you use the tip to draw fine lines and the bigger body to fill in. For the first few uses it's really easy to draw the fine flick towards the end. However, once I started getting lazy and didn't clean the brush often, the eyeliner would harden on it so it becomes like one solid block. (Imagine acrylic paint binding the bristles of a paint brush) It became difficult to pick more eyeliner cream from the jar when the brush hardened.

I would probably still purchase this eyeliner because the formula is one of the better ones I've tried so far, but I'd get a proper eyeliner brush with the angled brush tip. And maybe a bottle of brush cleaning liquid too.

Maybelline claims it as smudge-proof, but it's a false claim. I mean, it does smudge!! Great pigmentation and nice glass pot.
I LOVE the brush though, it's just really good!!
Overall, I prefer my Etude House Code B Gel Liner or TonyMoly Backstage Gel Liner (they're awesome Korean gel-liners, must try and cheap!), but of course I do prefer Maybelline's brush.

on 11/21/2011 5:49:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is the only gel eyeliner I own. I have very oily eyelids. The only way I can make eyeliner stay on my eyelids without smudging into my crease is if i use an eyeliner sealer (or L'oreal Lineur Intense but I didn't want to use L'oreal due to the fact they do animal testing). I was hoping this eyeliner would help eliminate the extra step of having to seal my eyeliner. However, it smudged in my eye crease too. I have also tried my sister's MAC Blacktrack which also smudges into my eye crease (but not as fast as the Maybelline one does). For a few months, this eyeliner just sat in my makeup drawer. I didn't know what to do with it. Then I started using it to tightline and I love it for that. It is very pigmented and stays pigmented all day long. However, it does tend to smudge a little on to my lower lash line. I have round cheeks that touch my tightline when I smile.
the brush it comes with is good. the tip is very stiff and can be used to draw thin lines.
Overall, not suitable for super oily eyelids like mine but works great as a tightliner with minimal smudging onto the lower lash line. However, I have found pencil eyeliners that work just as well to tightline without smudging. Since gel eyeliners include extra steps e.g. opening the lid, redipping brush into gel, etc., i still prefer a pencil eyeliner for its ease of use and will not be repurchasing a gel eyeliner again.

on 11/20/2011 2:48:00 PM

Let me just say that if this liner was horrible, the brush itself would justify my purchase! The brush that comes with this liner is by far the best gel liner brush I have ever used! I actually bought this product with the intention of throwing away the liner and just using the brush for my other gel liners (BB and MAC). However, the liner was great! I find myself reaching for this liner more than my others. I purchased the brown shade and have been so impressed with the quality. I haven't noticed any drying out issues and I've been using this everyday for a month. Go out and get it!!

Video Reviews & Tutorials