July 23, 2014 | 1252 users online

Liquid - Make Up For Ever - Mat Velvet + Matifying Foundation

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/13/2009 8:40:00 PM More reviews by liz91

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

OK, this is my 3rd MUFE foundation now. First I bought Liquid Lift, which I loved, but then Sephora stopped carrying it. So then I bought Face & Body, which was pretty sheer. My Liquid Lift bottle lasted about 10 months (and I used it daily), Face & Body only lasted 5-6 months. I bought Mat Velvet + because I had heard good things about oil control. My local Sephora was out of my color, but the salesperson gave me a sample, then I ordered it online. I am so glad I switched to this new foundation! It really does what it says it will do. It controls oiliness and offers full coverage. I missed the full coverage I used to get with Liquid Lift. Face & Body was too sheer. I like that this comes in a plastic squeeze bottle with a small opening. Both Liquid Lift and Face & Body came in a glass bottle with very user-unfriendly openings. I am glad MUFE's getting with the program. For reference, I am NC25 in MAC, #3 in Liquid Lift, #32 in Face & Body, and #40 in Mat Velvet +. I wish MUFE had a better website and more user-friendly way of naming the foundation colors. Why am I a different # in each foundation? It's crazy. I do have yellow undertones to my skin, which is why #40 works. I would buy this again.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/8/2009 2:02:00 AM More reviews by makeupaddict1187

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

LOVE this foundation. I am super super oily and acne prone and I am glad to say that this product has not broken me out any more than usual. This really does stay matte but because I am very oily I do touch up during the middle of the day to be on the safe side. This foundation is one of my must haves and is HG material. It does not make me look dewy or cakey like other foundations and does not rub off everywhere like MAC studio fix fluid (even though its one of my favs). This foundation has surprisingly great coverage and stays put. I still use concealer due to my acne scars but still great! The packaging is great too because its a squeeze out tube. The price is not that bad considering its a MUFE product ($34 us) compare it too MAC Studio fluid ($27 us). Overall a great foundation! FYI: my skintone in MAC is NC 25/30, my MUFE mat velvet + shade is 35.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/1/2009 10:28:00 AM More reviews by GetLowxX

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Blue

I've been using this product for nearly a month now and I feel it's time I give it a review. I've been on the hunt for a matte foundation that doesn't clog my pores and doesn't make my face look like an oil pit by the end of the day. After hearing so many good things about this foundation, I decided to go to Sephora to get color matched. I normally wear NW20-25 foundations in MAC but I've always had issues with my face not matching the rest of my body since I'm tan. The salesgal at Sephora tried No's 35, 40 & 45 on me. No. 35 was my perfect match, No. 40 appeared too yellow and while No. 45 did match, it was just a touch too dark. I though No. 35 looked most natural so that's the color I decided to go with. I do need some extra bronzer for my face to match my body, but that's no big deal.
I'm used to foundations being a bit on the thicker side (MAC Studio Fix fluid & Studio Sculpt), so the thin consistency of the MUFE foundation surprised me a bit. The first time I wore it, I applied it with my beloved Sonia Kashuk blending sponge from Target and I didn't like the way it looked. So then I tried with the MAC 188 brush and that's when I really started to like this foundation.
Because this foundation is on the thin side, it takes a bit more product to get even coverage. I just put a bit on my hand and apply it with my 188 brush and dab it on my face and start blending it. Sometimes I set with MUFE's HD powder and sometimes I just set it with MAC Fix +, it depends on my mood. I do get the regular blemish from time to time and I find it does cover the few that I do get well, but sometimes I need a touch of extra concealer.
I find this foundation does do what it promises, it is a mattifying foundation. So if you don't like the matte look, then this foundation is not for you. It took me a few tries to get used to it, but now I love it and can't imagine not using it! It keeps my somewhat oily skin at bay that I don't need touch ups with blot powder throughout the day. I love the squeeze bottle container and even though it's a bit on the pricey side, I will definitely repurchase this when I run out.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/26/2009 2:19:00 AM More reviews by mimileigh

Pale girls like me should consider this one! Whenever I'm on the hunt for a new foundation, it seems the formulas I really like just don't come in my shade (ghost-y dutch irish). I actually found this one by asking the dude at Sephora which lines made the palest shades. The lightest shade of Matte Velvet + (shade #15 I think?) is beautiful because it's very neutral; not too pink, not too yellow, and not that weird putty gray-ish tone that turns up in some light colored face makeup.
It feels very light on your skin and blends easily, but not really suitable for undereyes or any dry patches because it can tend to make flaky skin look worse than it is. Definitely have to use a toner or other exfoliating method beforehand. Other that, I love it! It wears quite well, even for someone like me who gets a shiny t-zone after a few hours.
It does not have sunscreen in it (unfortunate but understandable), however I've found that for the summer months I tend not to want such matte full coverage anyhow, so I mix it with a sunscreen or spf moisturizer. This homemade tinted moisturizer method is great because you can decide for yourself how much foundation to add depending on your desired coverage.
I'll probably buy this again, unless I come across another great super pale shade that already has sunscreen in it. Definitely recommend.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/26/2009 1:49:00 AM More reviews by xxchinadoll

I've been using this for over a week now and it's pretty good so far. It gives me really good coverage throughout the day. I don't really like the tube itself though because sometimes I squeeze out too much.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/19/2009 7:42:00 AM More reviews by Fieeeh

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Grey

I've only tried the shade 20, and it's a liiiiittle bit too light, but I always have trouble finding the perfect shade (NC20-25 in MAC, Budapest in NARS an somewhere between 120/123/125 in MUFE HD). Other than that, I like the foundation and staying power - it will last quite a while even without setting powder, and the finish is nice and matte. I don't think it looks as natural and skin-like as the HD foundation does, but it's close.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/18/2009 7:48:00 PM More reviews by Bunnybear9

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I used a sample of this from Sephora. I was matched to shade #20, which was an ok match for me. But the problem I had with this was not the color, it was that it caked and creased on my face pretty badly. It seemed to be too drying on my face in some areas and melting off in others...very strange. It was a little better without a primer (weird, right?) but still definitely not for me. If you had similar problems with Mat Velvet, EL DW Light is worth a try-- it is slightly mattifying and has a much better finish on me, with similar coverage.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 8/16/2009 11:39:00 PM More reviews by RHanson

No, no, no! This was not good for my young skin. This would be much better on older skin, but on me this was way too drying, and I have oily skin! As I was blending this foundation, it felt as if I was blending cornstarch and water. The texture was so bad. Sorry MUFE, but I will stick to F & B.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/15/2009 10:03:00 PM More reviews by joyce1122

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

emm...I dont like this foundation cuz I have dry skin and the SA introduce this one to me and I try it. When I travel back to Asia, this is pretty good; but, if i stay in Canada I can't use this foundation at all...it is too dry for me since I stay in Canada more than 8 months a year so this product is useless. I did find if you use flat-top foundation brush would help you apply the foundation but still I would not buy it again period.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/15/2009 2:12:00 PM More reviews by marvin1

UPDATE: Just wanted to add that after experimentation, I found that this foundation, ALONE, has the best mattifying effects. Also, this one sinks a bit into the pores while the HD foundation "sits" on top of them. But I don't find that this one exaggerates my pores noticeably.

I hesitate to use the word "holy grail" but if I were to use it for anything, this must be it!

Pros
- great, full coverage AND natural finish (sounds like an oxymoron, but it really isn't)
- a little bit goes a long way.
- easy, no-frills packaging (who wants to buy a separate pump anyway?)

Cons
- I was out in 30 celsius weather for around 6 hours and yes, it faded... But that's the only time it has faded on me.
- have to move fast when applying because it dries rather fast

I find that the best way to apply this is to use a flattop brush and quickly stipple dots around one-half of the face, then distribute it evenly. You'll see that a tiny little dot will cover a surprising amount of skin and discolouration. The most amazing thing about this foundation deserves repeating - it covers as well as say... MAC SFF, Revlon Colorstay, MAC studio tech, but unless the other foundations, it DOES NOT look or feel like you have foundation on!!! For reference I'm a NC 25-30, and am number 40 in this foundation.