August 20, 2014 | 1026 users online

Liquid - Make Up For Ever - Mat Velvet + Matifying Foundation

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/26/2009 8:25:00 PM More reviews by makeupjunkie35

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

****UPDATE****I hate to say it, but this one is letting me down! It is not holding up to the FL humidity, nor is it wearing as long as I need it too for my busy lifestyle. It starts out beautiful but after about 6 hours it starts to break down on me. Oh, and it only minimizes pores for a few hours. I work 15 hour days so this is not good!!! PROS is it feels like a velvety primer going on. And that is how it sets, very soft and smooth to appearance. Felt airy light, like nothing was on my skin. I was wondering how it would do around my eyes (I don't use concealer there, only foundation) and it did not look dry, nor did it emphasize my fine lines at all. It did not oxidize in color. I do like the fact that it is waterproof. The color match is perfect for me too. For shade reference in other products I have tried, I am #20 (Ivory) in the MUFE Mat Velvet foundation, #117 (Marble) in the MUFE HD foundation, NC15 in MAC Studio Fix liq, NC20 in MAC Studio Fix Powder Plus Foundation, Buff (W) in Lancome Teint Idole Ultra 14 hour liq, Real Vellum (03) in Prescriptives Virtual Skin liq, Classic Ivory Light 2 in Maybelline Instant Age Rewind compact, Buff in Revlon Colorstay comb/oily liq, and Fair/light in Revlon Colorstay Mineral Powder Foundation. OVERALL, it is not holding up to my long-time HG, Revlon Colorstay!!! This is quite shocking to me really. I would not buy this one again!!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/23/2009 4:27:00 PM More reviews by nadeen4ever

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

Cyclopentasiloxane, Aqua (Water), Corn Starch Modified, Bis-PEG/PPG-14/14 Dimethicone, Neopentyl Glycol Diethylhexanoate, Glycerin, Silica Dimethyl Silylate, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Mica, Magnesium Sulfate, Sodium Chloride, Xanthan Gum, Phenoxyethanol, Aluminum Hydroxide, Propylene Carbonate, Propylparaben, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Chlorphenesin, Methylparaben, Tetrasodium EDTA, Parfum (Fragrance), Cyclohexasiloxane, Sodium Myristoyl Glutamate, Hexyl Cinnamal, Limonene, Citronellol, Geraniol, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Linalool, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone. May Contain: CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), CI 77491(Iron Oxides), CI 77492 (Iron Oxides), CI 77499 (Iron Oxides).

rated 4 of 5 on 9/19/2009 8:08:00 PM More reviews by portia89

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

love this stuff1 the coverage is great, but your skin does get a little oily after a few hours. So i use the Duo Mat pressed powder after I applied this foundation and my skin looks flawless! Will buy again.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/19/2009 4:00:00 PM More reviews by SuzieDVv

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Not in love with this. I'm so disappointed. I've wanted to try this for ages, but MUFE is hard to find in the UK. So I bought it in France on a trip recently. It was around 28 euro.
I was matched to shade #30 but I don't think it's quite right for me, I think it's either too dark or too warm or something.
It goes on nicely and the coverage is quite good. Although it's not as good as I hoped it would be. The first 30 minutes or so it looks good, a reasonable match to my skin. And it is very matte.
But looked in the mirror after a couple of hours and it had darkened considerably and now was looking quite orange. Also I started to get some shine about 2 hours after applying it. Temperatures today were average September temperatures and it wouldn't hold up on a warmer summer day.
Overall, I think this is a pretty average foundation.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/18/2009 11:39:00 AM More reviews by spiceandsugar

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

What a disappointment this foundation turned out to be! I had such high hopes for this. It is expensive ($34 for a small bottle) and while I don't mind paying a higher price for a good product, I expect a $34 foundation to deliver. It did not deliver at all. It is a very typical foundation, nothing special about it. I noticed no difference in my skin that tends to get shiny throughout the day. My skin still got shiny at the same time it always does. The coverage is decent, but I wasn't buying this for decent coverage, I wanted something that controlled shine like it claims to do. It also seems to make my pores appear larger, so it must just sit right on the skin without really blending in very well. Terrible foundation. I will continue to search for the perfect foundation but am extremely disappointed to find out that this one is not it! Don't waste good money on this, you can get something much cheaper to do the same thing this does - which is not much!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/13/2009 8:40:00 PM More reviews by liz91

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

OK, this is my 3rd MUFE foundation now. First I bought Liquid Lift, which I loved, but then Sephora stopped carrying it. So then I bought Face & Body, which was pretty sheer. My Liquid Lift bottle lasted about 10 months (and I used it daily), Face & Body only lasted 5-6 months. I bought Mat Velvet + because I had heard good things about oil control. My local Sephora was out of my color, but the salesperson gave me a sample, then I ordered it online. I am so glad I switched to this new foundation! It really does what it says it will do. It controls oiliness and offers full coverage. I missed the full coverage I used to get with Liquid Lift. Face & Body was too sheer. I like that this comes in a plastic squeeze bottle with a small opening. Both Liquid Lift and Face & Body came in a glass bottle with very user-unfriendly openings. I am glad MUFE's getting with the program. For reference, I am NC25 in MAC, #3 in Liquid Lift, #32 in Face & Body, and #40 in Mat Velvet +. I wish MUFE had a better website and more user-friendly way of naming the foundation colors. Why am I a different # in each foundation? It's crazy. I do have yellow undertones to my skin, which is why #40 works. I would buy this again.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/8/2009 2:02:00 AM More reviews by makeupaddict1187

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

LOVE this foundation. I am super super oily and acne prone and I am glad to say that this product has not broken me out any more than usual. This really does stay matte but because I am very oily I do touch up during the middle of the day to be on the safe side. This foundation is one of my must haves and is HG material. It does not make me look dewy or cakey like other foundations and does not rub off everywhere like MAC studio fix fluid (even though its one of my favs). This foundation has surprisingly great coverage and stays put. I still use concealer due to my acne scars but still great! The packaging is great too because its a squeeze out tube. The price is not that bad considering its a MUFE product ($34 us) compare it too MAC Studio fluid ($27 us). Overall a great foundation! FYI: my skintone in MAC is NC 25/30, my MUFE mat velvet + shade is 35.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/1/2009 10:28:00 AM More reviews by GetLowxX

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Blue

I've been using this product for nearly a month now and I feel it's time I give it a review. I've been on the hunt for a matte foundation that doesn't clog my pores and doesn't make my face look like an oil pit by the end of the day. After hearing so many good things about this foundation, I decided to go to Sephora to get color matched. I normally wear NW20-25 foundations in MAC but I've always had issues with my face not matching the rest of my body since I'm tan. The salesgal at Sephora tried No's 35, 40 & 45 on me. No. 35 was my perfect match, No. 40 appeared too yellow and while No. 45 did match, it was just a touch too dark. I though No. 35 looked most natural so that's the color I decided to go with. I do need some extra bronzer for my face to match my body, but that's no big deal.
I'm used to foundations being a bit on the thicker side (MAC Studio Fix fluid & Studio Sculpt), so the thin consistency of the MUFE foundation surprised me a bit. The first time I wore it, I applied it with my beloved Sonia Kashuk blending sponge from Target and I didn't like the way it looked. So then I tried with the MAC 188 brush and that's when I really started to like this foundation.
Because this foundation is on the thin side, it takes a bit more product to get even coverage. I just put a bit on my hand and apply it with my 188 brush and dab it on my face and start blending it. Sometimes I set with MUFE's HD powder and sometimes I just set it with MAC Fix +, it depends on my mood. I do get the regular blemish from time to time and I find it does cover the few that I do get well, but sometimes I need a touch of extra concealer.
I find this foundation does do what it promises, it is a mattifying foundation. So if you don't like the matte look, then this foundation is not for you. It took me a few tries to get used to it, but now I love it and can't imagine not using it! It keeps my somewhat oily skin at bay that I don't need touch ups with blot powder throughout the day. I love the squeeze bottle container and even though it's a bit on the pricey side, I will definitely repurchase this when I run out.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/26/2009 2:19:00 AM More reviews by mimileigh

Pale girls like me should consider this one! Whenever I'm on the hunt for a new foundation, it seems the formulas I really like just don't come in my shade (ghost-y dutch irish). I actually found this one by asking the dude at Sephora which lines made the palest shades. The lightest shade of Matte Velvet + (shade #15 I think?) is beautiful because it's very neutral; not too pink, not too yellow, and not that weird putty gray-ish tone that turns up in some light colored face makeup.
It feels very light on your skin and blends easily, but not really suitable for undereyes or any dry patches because it can tend to make flaky skin look worse than it is. Definitely have to use a toner or other exfoliating method beforehand. Other that, I love it! It wears quite well, even for someone like me who gets a shiny t-zone after a few hours.
It does not have sunscreen in it (unfortunate but understandable), however I've found that for the summer months I tend not to want such matte full coverage anyhow, so I mix it with a sunscreen or spf moisturizer. This homemade tinted moisturizer method is great because you can decide for yourself how much foundation to add depending on your desired coverage.
I'll probably buy this again, unless I come across another great super pale shade that already has sunscreen in it. Definitely recommend.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/26/2009 1:49:00 AM More reviews by xxchinadoll

I've been using this for over a week now and it's pretty good so far. It gives me really good coverage throughout the day. I don't really like the tube itself though because sometimes I squeeze out too much.