April 18, 2014 | 1712 users online

Liquid - Make Up For Ever - Mat Velvet PLUS Matifying Foundation

rated 2 of 5 on 6/6/2009 5:09:00 PM More reviews by KISSNMAKEUP282

Way too thick. This isnt full coverage its extra full coverage.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/6/2009 3:49:00 PM More reviews by elvia2189

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

this make up is super blotchy , doesnt control oil and it super uncomfortable.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/4/2009 4:32:00 PM More reviews by jessiev

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

This foundation can give good coverage and looks fairly good on my oily/combo skin for about two hours and then shine comes through. I don't find it particularly long lasting and by the end of my work day I am shiny and the foundation has significantly faded/disappeared on my T-zone. So all in all this foundation doesn't work well for me!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/25/2009 7:50:00 PM More reviews by babieedoll

I'm oily-combo and a nc35 for mac.
I got a sample of this (can't remember the shade) but I did not like this product at all. For some reason it actually made me look even more oiler and didn't sit will on my skin. Luckily it was just a sample and I didn't have to waste my money on it. I believe the shade was also one shade too light for me but I couldn't go darker because then it was too dark. Overall I would not buy this.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/23/2009 5:40:00 PM More reviews by kabukiKILLER

This is one of the best foundations I've ever owned. Foundation is probably the most difficult kind of product to be pleased with in the long run. This foundation is extremely matte, almost a bit drying if you don't apply enough moisture under your base (or if your skin is peeling at the time). I think the coverage is great (about medium) and it is an ideal foundation for people with normal/combination/oily skin who have decent skin texture. I would NOT recommend this for people with dry skin. If you have a bit more acne, scars or bumps, you probably need something thicker, but thicker products can be more problem-causing. So if you don't need the extra coverage, I'd recommend testing this one out.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 5/20/2009 8:28:00 PM More reviews by lindsayloohoo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I really like this foundation. It's great if I need something that will be long-lasting and hold up to conditions that might make my skin more oily. I tend to be oily in the T-Zone and when I wear this to work it lasts all day no problem, and then some. I love the finish - it's perfect for an overall very matte look. My only gripes are that it's a thicker consistency than HD, for example, and it dries more quickly which makes it more difficult to blend. I can't put a few spots on my face and then blend because I find it dries too quickly and looks cakey. I have to do one spot at a time. Also, it's a little pricey and I don't really like the packaging. I'd prefer a pump bottle but at least there's not a large opening where the product dispenses. Also the product might just be too thick for a pump dispenser. My colour is No. 30 - I'm a 118 in MUFE HD and about an NC25 in MAC.

EDIT: I've downgraded this. It breaks me out, and oxidises on my face throughout the day (just a little bit - but still). Every time I wear this I get spots by the end of the day. It also takes more foundation than usual to cover my face because it's much thicker than foundations I've been using lately. Since my skin is better now, I don't like such heavy MATTE coverage. This is too matte for my liking, and probably contributes to the colour problem (oxidization). I would not repurchase.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/17/2009 7:58:00 PM More reviews by xBrazenx

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I got a sample of this at Sephora last month. I hate to be a Negative Nancy, but this was an average foundation to me. While it did control oil throughout the day and was long lasting, the coverage was not that great. I'd say it's barely medium coverage and is difficult to build because it can get cakey (we're talking over a freshly scrubbed, moisturized, and primed face too, peeps). Also, and this is not the products fault, I just don't think I like *mattifying* foundations because I am so pale and end up looking ghostly (happened with Colorstay, too).

I'm not that impressed with the shade range, either. The lighted shade was TOO light (shock! gasp!) and the next shade was too dark. I suppose I could mix the two shades, but it's not that outstanding to go to all that trouble.

Overall, if you're looking for a foundation to control oil, stay on throughout the day, and don't need medium-heavy coverage, this could be for you.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/16/2009 4:42:00 PM More reviews by beebop808

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

This has to be one of my favorite foundations (I've tried many over the years!). It's lightweight; not thick and heavy. The application goes smooth with a nice finish (but you need to blend it out well), coverage is medium, but build-able to a heavier coverage if needed, and lasts much longer with an oil-free primer, of course! Although I've used it without a primer a few times it still holds up. I set it with MAC's Blot Powder in order to minimize the shine. It doesn't fade or smudge and it's water resistant too (always a plus)! On the other hand, if you don't want a foundation that is hard to wash off (nothing that a makeup remover/cleanser can't do), then this foundation is not for you.

I believe there are 16 shades to choose from. The S.A. recommended #65 (not a perfect match) it comes off a little too dark and tan for my skin tone. It is easily correct with MAC Studio Fix.

Your foundation looks much nicer and flawless if applied with a stippling brush (MAC 187) as opposed too a foundation brush (MAC 190)!!!

I gave it 4 lippies because it is a little difficult to wash off. Also, it is quite pricey $34 + tax (for everyday use) and packaging makes it complex to squeeze out every last drop when you're nearing the end.

Don't forget, a LITTLE goes a long way!

I will repurchase if they can get my shade right ;)

rated 5 of 5 on 5/13/2009 10:40:00 PM More reviews by Tarasa

If you are Having trouble finding your shade:
Use the Shade Finder on Sephoras website. It's under the MUFE page at the top (next to a small pc it says "shade finder" This takes you to the shade finder for thier HD product, but find your shade in that and then you will see at the bottom of the page other MUFE foundation options - hover over the small pic of the Mat Velvet and it will tell you your shade # in referance to the shade you picked for the HD.

If you are having trouble with oil and the product seperating:
I would try and oil controling primer befor you completly give up on this product. A primer will make your foundation much easier to apply and thier are different primers for individual skin problems. MUFE has several primers, evan a mattifying primer called 'All MAT'. But you can find other brands with oil controlling primers as well that may be cheaper to purchase.

I also use MAC prep+prime transpararent finishing powder to set my make up and it seems to control the shine for me. I only have to touch up just a bit on my nose around 5pm. I found this technique from this youtube review www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lkJaGRpIHQ

Hope this helps some reviewers.

Oh my ratings:
I love this so i gave it a 5 overall
Cost is high - It costs $34+tax so it is pricey
I gave the packaging a 3 becasue I have a feeling I will not be able to get all of the product out of it when I get near the end (hopefully I am wrong)

I forgot to add that I use the Target version of the BeautyBlender , its by Sonia Kus..... (I don't know how to spell it). It's about $10 and blends perfectly while using a much smaller amount than your fingers or a regular spong.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/12/2009 8:24:00 PM More reviews by babifonseca

I LOVE THIS! my t zone is very oily, and i couldnt find any foundations that would give me a great coverage and keep my oil under control. This is trully the best.. It keeps my skin looking perfect, and when I start to get oily, it doesnt look nasty like it would normally, but it kind of glows in a nice way. Ive worn this for 5 hours without blotting... If it was cheaper, it would become my daily foundation.. but since its $34, and I cant get those here in Brazil, I just keep it for when I wanna look my best.

ps: if you have oily skin, dont mind the price, and you live near a sephora lol, THIS IS YOUR FOUNDATION