MAC Pro Longwear Foundation

3.8

Active Ingredient: Titanium Dioxide 4.7% Ingredients: Water, Cyclopentasiloxane, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Butylene Glycol, Trimethyl Pentaphenyl Trisiloxane, Phenyl Trimethicone, Polyglyceryl-3 Diisostearate, Magnesium Sulfate, Tribehenin, Peg-10 Dimethicone, Bis-Peg/Ppg-14/14 Dimethicone, Tocopheryl Acetate, Sodium Hyaluronate, Dimethicone, Phenyl Methicone, Polyglyceryl-4 Isostearate, Cetyl Peg/Ppg-10/1 Dimethicone, Methicone, Tetramethyl Hexaphenyl Tetrasiloxane, Glycerin, Ethylhexylglycerin, Silica, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Laureth-7, Hexyl Laurate, Xanthan Gum, Cellulose Gum, Propylene Carbonate, Alumina, Polymethylsilsequioxane, Dimethicone Silylate, Phenoxyethanol, Sorbic Acid, Chlorphenesin [ /- Mica, Iron Oxides (C) 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Titanium Dioxide (C) 77891, Chromium Oxide Greens (CI 77288) [September 17, 2010]

on 12/20/2010 7:27:00 PM

I have combo skin which is oily around my forehead and nose but sometimes dry near my chin. It is a good foundation which has good holding power and coverage if you build apon but be warned if you have any dry patches or skin isn't well moisturised, this product will show the cracks on your skin more. Apart from that its a good product.

on 12/19/2010 1:17:00 PM

This is my first foundation as a young adult. Before, I used what is known as "BB cream", a sort of thick, tinted moisturizer with SPF.

Firstly, the packaging. Small, but travel friendly!! Wonderful quality, the glass is thick and the locking mechanism is what sold me. None of these will break on you. I have dropped it accidentally quite a few times and everything still looks as good as new! I just wish it would come in a bigger size, ahaha. 5/5

I am an NC15, quite pale. This matches my skintone quite nicely, but the SPF, although very low, will reflect flash in pictures, making you look a tad whiter. I don't mind; people don't notice because I'm so pale anyway.
The coverage isn't bad. It doesn't COVER your dark circles or acne scars, it fades them slightly so they look better. I look more awake and my skin looks clearer. It doesn't make your skin look perfect, but it makes your flaws look natural and more flattering (does that make sense? aha). It's a little like "yes, I have flaws, but damn I still look good." LOL.
And this doesn't make me breakout! Even when I fall asleep with it on!! (I KNOW, IT'S TERRIBLE!)
For the foundation itself, I give a 4/5

I have experimented with other products, leading to awful breakouts. My periods don't help either. But my skin isn't bad, just prone to the occasional breakout. This foundation makes me skin look so much more even and it's a little on the matte side. I tone and moisturize before. This is vital if you want it to look nice! I skipped moisturizing once during a morning rush and and I was chalky and powder-y and just altogether bleh.
It doesn't transfer (YES!). I repeat, IT DOES NOT TRANSFER!
However, it can look streaky if applied wrong. I use my fingers and "pat" it on, concentrating on the parts I want to conceal. Dries down to a natural, glow-y but matte finish. But now I use a foundation and a concealer brush and the finish is much nicer. Not sticky at all. My only grip is that I have use too much of this stuff! I bought this in October. It is now December and I am half-way through.
Application: 3.5/5

Oh and by the way, my mother borrowed this from me and ended up getting her own bottle. She's an NC20, combination-oily, also prone to occasional break-outs, early 40's. She loves this stuff too.

I think it's a good overall foundation, worth the $40 I spent on the little thing. I would DEFINITELY re-purchase.

on 12/17/2010 3:18:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium

I AM VERY SKEPTICAL OF SPENDING MY MONEY ON PRODUCTS THAT DO NOT GIVE ME THE LOOK I WANT. AFTER READING REVIEWS ON THIS PRODUCT, I DECIDED TO TRY IT. I ACTUALLY WENT TO THE MAC COUNTER FIRST AND LET THEM APPLY IT AND OF COURSE TO ME THEY NEVER REALLY PUT MUCH ON AT ALL! SO I PURCHASED IT AND WENT HOME AND APPLIED IT MYSELF. I USE NC45 IN THE STUDIO FIX FLUID AND ALSO IN THIS FOUNDATION. THE BEAUTY ADVISOR GAVE ME A REALLY GOOD TRICK THAT SHE USES, WHICH IS MIX THE CONCEALER WITH THE FOUNDATION! IT REALLY WORKS! FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO LIKE THE FULL COVERAGE OF THE STUDIO FIX, WILL GET THE SAME COVERAGE. I APPLIED IT TODAY AND I AM LOVING THE RESULT IT HAS NOT STARTED TO BREAK DOWN, ALTHOUGH I HAVE TOUCHED UP WITH MY BLOT POWDER ONCE. MY FACE REALLY LOOKS GREAT COMPARED TO THE SFF. JUST FYI I HAVE A MILLION BLEMISHES AND DARK SPOTS ON MY FACE THAT I AM CURRENTLY WORKING ON TO LIGHTEN AND CORRECT, AND THIS PRODUCT REALLY DOES GIVE ME THAT LOOK I LIKE AND NOT THAT BREAK DOWN OILY LOOK BY THE AFTER NOON. I STILL APPLIED MY MOISTURIZER AND THEN THE FOUNDATION, AND I SET IT WITH DEEP BLOT POWDER. I REALLY HOPE THIS REVIEW HELP SOMEONE OUT THERE THAT IS LOOKING FOR GREAT COVERAGE WITH OUT ALL THE CAKED UP FOUNDATION TO HIDE BROWN SPOTS ETC. I AM NOT TO HAPPY ABOUT THE PRICE BUT FOR THE LOOK I WILL GET OVER IT SOON. JUST AN FYI I USED AN OLD BLOT POWDER COMPACT TO MIX MY FOUNDATION AND CONCEALER SO IT DOES NOT DRY OUT. SO GO AHEAD AND TRY IT AND REMEMBER THAT YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL! BE BLESSED!

on 12/14/2010 10:08:00 AM

Since this is the first bottle of foundation that I've completely used up in a VERY long time, I decided it deserved a review. I went out on a limb to try Pro Longwear because I've tried every MAC foundation over the years and each one of them eventually oxidized on me and led to breakouts. MAC finally got it right with this one!

I apply it over primer (Smashbox Photo Finish Light) with a slightly damp sponge in a patting motion, then dust with loose powder (MUFE HD, usually). It glides over the flakes beside my nose, conceals the rosacea in my cheeks, doesn't sink into my pores, stops oil for hours (I'm combo-oily), and it really does last all day. I like a more matte look, so I normally blot with a blotting sheet about half way through the day, but it isn't a necessity. I am very surprised that a long-lasting foundation can look this natural (I'm looking at you EL DW). I've gotten so many compliments on my "skin" since I've started using this (oh, thank you! I just drink a lot of water, exfoliate regularly, and moisturize... psh.).

For color reference, I wear this in NC20 which is a tiny bit dark at the moment but NC15 is significantly lighter (if NC18 existed, I bet it would be perfect). For my pale winter skin, I wear LM Oil Free Foundation in Warm Ivory, BE Matte in Golden Fair, and most Nars foundations in Deauville. I have yellowish-olive undertones with pink-red overtones due to rosacea. NC20 in Pro Longwear has enough yellow to counteract the redness while still looking natural and matching my neck.

Overall, I am very pleased and I can only hope that MAC keeps it around for a long time. Also, props for the pump dispenser.

on 12/14/2010 8:15:00 AM

I really do like this foundation, it doesnt run on me, stays in place and i do not have to touch up my makeup throughout the day. I must say it does also keep the oil on my face under control. Enjoying it alot, best applied with stippling brush, it gives a flawless finish.

However it does feel tight on the face, only slightly and applying this with a foundation brush makes the application strikey and uneven.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

The texture is ok, the skin does not shine, however, like all the other MAC foundations, the colors are so wrong.
NW is far too pink, NC is far too yellow. How about creating a NN (or NB)range, which would mean neutral beige. I am sure that if there was a beige range, it would sell very well.
MAC, PLEASE TAKE NOTE.

on 12/13/2010 10:01:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

this is great. I love it. I usually break out from all the mac foundations(and other foundations too, exept estee lauder double wear light), but not this one. I wore it for 10 hours and it looked amazing the whole time. It didn't irritate my skin. :)

This one was my favorite foundation before the matchmaster came out...this one is super good but it's to heavy for everyday use...i now use it only when i'm going out or at partys:)

EDIT: My skin has become really acne prone the last year and this is starting to break me out. After trying other foundations this feels so tick now, and it feels almost uncomfortable to use it :( but the coverage is really good so i still wear it at special occasions.

on 12/13/2010 1:17:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Other, Fine

I bought this b/c of the salesperson at MAC. Unfortunately, there is nothing amazing about the product. IT does the same effect as Revlon CS but $20 more. I actually did one side of my face with CS and the other with MAC and saw no difference; after 8hrs of work..both were on my face and have the same coverage. I would not buy it again b/c theres no point in wasting so much money. I don't even know why I steered away from my makeupforever foundation...I need to save up and go back!
BTW: i have heard of MAC foundations having a tendency to have ppl's faces to break-out but this did not break me out.

on 12/11/2010 3:42:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

For super slick, super oily skin like mine, as I shine like a yellow plate of grease by 11 a.m., THIS has done a really great job! I would usually blot about every 2 hrs because of the mega shine on my forehead, using this I only need to blot once around lunchtime and then later around 5p.m. if I'm picky. Even then, the oil that comes through is more like a dewy shine and NOT the grease that I had before.
Applied w. the 187 at around 7 a.m., the foundation is still on my face at around 6 p.m., talk about Pro Longwear!!
Med. coverage, doesn't cover all my acne caused pigmentation, but that doesn't bother me as I need it more for an allover teint-settling effect. It does transfer though, so I wouldn't rub my white shirts/ sleeves on my face. And it does oxidize noticeably, so sample first. Still, my HG for foundation.

on 12/11/2010 2:49:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

I bought this when the weather was still warm, and it worked okay. It was a bit drying, but since I'm already using olive oil to moisturize every other day, it was okay.
But then came winter. Even though I started applying olive oil every night (yes, my skin is THAT dry), the foundation just dried out my skin to the point, where if you looked a little close, my skin was spotted. The foundation had laid itself in little patches all over my face, instead of one layer. I tried mixing it with some extra moisturizing serum, applying it with a sponge, nothing worked. So now I'm saving it for summer.
Probably wont be repurchasing.

Video Reviews & Tutorials