April 24, 2014 | 1854 users online

Liquid - Make Up For Ever - Mat Velvet PLUS Matifying Foundation

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/11/2009 2:38:00 AM More reviews by suzannaelektra

In love! Amazing coverage...truly is matte! Lasts all day without/without primer. Also feels light weight on my skin.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/8/2009 3:44:00 PM More reviews by jjkrh

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I am using the Alabaster and Ivory shades of this (15 & 20) by mixing the two and getting a better color match. It is expensive doing this; however, I find with the fuller coverage it provides, I don't need to use as much as I normally would. Anyway, on to the foundation...this is definitely fuller coverage. It took me a bit to get the hang of applying. What works for me is to put a thin layer on with my fingers. Then I add a second thin layer with my MAC 109 brush. I haven't noticed a huge difference in performance with or without primer. The oil control is pronounced in this, more so than many other foundations I have tried. While nothing, and I mean nothing completely takes away all the oil I create, this foundation does do a great job. Also, no breakouts at all. Much easier to get off than Estee's Double Wear too. Oh and one more thing....this lasted very very well while swimming.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/7/2009 12:28:00 AM More reviews by jessicastwin

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love this foundation. I have already been through 4 bottles of this stuff!

This foundation has a lotion-like consistency, rather thick, and a light smell, although it is not offensive. It provides very full-coverage, so anyone who has discolorations, redness, or acne and wants to cover them will be pleased. Once it is blended out and sets, it leaves a wonderful matte finish, which is ideal for me!

The reason I give it 4 lipsticks instead of 5 is because I find it necessary to mix it with another foundation (L'Oreal's True Match liquid foundation in C7) to prolong the usage and wear. Together, my "mixture" wears amazingly! Also, if you are looking to have a foundation that keeps oil at bay, this won't be the liquid makeup of your dreams! Also, it IS pricey (this doesn't deter me, however...)

Regardless, I love this foundation and would be sad if it was discontinued. I believe with its thick texture, best results will be achieved with a damp sponge "stippled" onto the face.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/6/2009 10:35:00 PM More reviews by angelalovee

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

I was pretty determined to make this product work since it received so many good reviews. Alas, after 3 days of the ridiculous oily face slick it gave me, I returned it. The product has good coverage but beyond that it also creates a heavy mask-like appearance (not to mention the problem with the oiliness after less than an hour). My theory is that the extra "mattifying" ingredients here only aggravate the skin and cause more sebum production. At any rate, this is a rather pricey foundation and I definitely suggest getting a sample run at it before purchasing the full product. Even disregarding the shine-through, it creates a rather unnatural appearance in my opinion.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/6/2009 9:21:00 PM More reviews by BluEyez1031

Although I thought this foundation was very expensive for the amount of product, I bought it in spite of my skepticism, and I'm glad that I did! I have skin that gets very oily in the summertime, and I get so tired of my foundation wearing off during the day and looking very shiny after a few hours.

This foundation fixed all of those issues. I've NEVER used a foundation that has this kind of staying power! By the end of the day, my makeup still looks great. I still have to use an oil blotting sheet after several hours, but overall, the coverage stays fairly matte. However, this product would be muuuuch too drying for the wintertime.

As for actual coverage- it works quite well. I have problem-prone skin, as well as scarring/hyperpigmentation. I still use a dab of concealer on any really red spots, but this foundation reduces the amount of concealer that I use.

Color- this is the only foundation I've tried that I didn't have to use the very lightest shade. I was surprised to find that I use a 20, which is the second lightest, I believe. At first it looked too yellow, but after it set, it looked great, so I recommend waiting a few minutes when testing colors.

Because the bottle does contain such a small amount of product for the money, I think that a foundation brush is a MUST for application, if you don't already use one.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/26/2009 5:00:00 PM More reviews by jenja536

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

UPDATE: Upping this by two stars because I've found that by mixing this with a moisturizer and using it as a form of tinted moisturizer have produced great results. No shine practically all day with nice coverage and I have been using this on a daily basis for the last two weeks.

ORIGINAL REVIEW: I think I've given this enough time to review. When I first got it, I was not in love with it and was debating whether or not I should return it. I decided with still a bit of doubt that I would keep it.

Cons in my opinion:
(1) Need to work fast because it's thick and will be difficult to blend
(2) Color match not as great as HD foundation
(3) Sometimes too drying and when used (even with moisturizer) will cause skin flakiness

Pro:
(1) Longlasting

I finally got this to work by pairing it with MAC strobe cream. This is the only way I will use it and this has redeemed mat velvet a bit.

I believe that this product would be great for people with oily to extremely oily skin. I have normal to combination skin and this is a bit drying for me if used 2 or more days in a row.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/26/2009 1:33:00 AM More reviews by littledebbie105

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I broke out very VERY bad after using this foundation. PERIOD. If you are acne prone and you want to try it out, please test it in a small area of your face for a couple of days to see how your skin will react to it. It also made my skin very oily after applying it.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/22/2009 12:24:00 AM More reviews by bex9

I have waited about 3 months to review this because it has taken me a long to to make up my mind, and really figure out how to make it work. When I bought this I was very oily and acne prone, and it worked pretty well at that point (read: ~ 3.5 lippies). A little dry going on, but over all it was predictable and long lasting, which are my main concerns. I live an active life and my biggest peeve is having to worry about what my makeup looks like. Once it is on, I expect it to not transer, fade, oxidize or grease up. So it was pretty good, but not HG or anything. But a few weeks after buying this I went on accutane, and whoooolly flake city, my skin was dryyyy, and at this point I shelved my matt velvet+ and never really thought it would work for me again. It took me a while to figure out how to calm my skin down, and turned out what works best is the combinate of jamieson intensive moisture vitamin E cream, follwed by either neutrogena heliplex dry touch spf 55 or aveeno ageless spf 30 moisturizer. The reason why I am mentioning this is because if anyone has used either, they know those products are all super rich and heavy, and it probably sounds like the greasiest combo ever. But on me, my skin drinks in it, and turns out that's just what I need, at least while on accutane. And the beauty is, matte velvet has just been an absolute gem for me on top of my heavy moisturizer and sunscreen, because it is so effective at combating the oilyness and leave me looking very natural, and best part is it lasts all day without rubbing off or doing anything funky. And after I have my blush etc on Ive started using MUFE fix spray instead of a finishing powder and Ive been really pleased with it, because this fdtn is so matte I dont want to add any powder to make it any more drying... so overall I dont know how helpful this will be to the average woman, I know my skin has become very 'special needs' lately, and my routine is a bit odd, but it works so well for me I hope if anything I can just inspire people to play with this a little more before giving up on it, or dubbing it too drying. It may just mean now you can actually wear a higher spf sunscreen or something without feeling oily, who knows, play with it though! good luck!
***EDIT*** switched to vichy aera teint longwearing fluid. so much better

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 6/19/2009 10:50:00 PM More reviews by jaden08

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

After being so excited to get this in my possesion i am extremely without a benefit of a doubt, saddened and disgusted at the same time with this product. I did something i never ever do, i actually gave this a trial run today for work when normally i only try out the new foundations i purchase during the weekends and if i don't like it i can immediately take it off and return it, but for some reason i was being brave today so here goes my nightmare..... applied in my usual manner, moisturized, primed and then put on foundation and powder. Oddly enough i automatically saw some sheen that i wasn't use to and let it slide bc for some reason i thought may be i needed more powder and it went away. Went to work, 2hrs later wanted to reapply my mac touch lipstick and when i looked in the mirror the horror i saw on my t-zone might as well just have put me into a coma, the oil had gone into overload and that has never happened to me b 4 and wtf do they mean by mat velvet bc it totally didn't deliver anything it promised, for a moment of insanity i thought i was pregnant again bc maybe my hormones were in overload but then i snapped out of it and realized the garbage i put on my face was there to stay until i got home. I was so disgusted tht i actually left work early bc of it, although after i blotted 3x with my boscia linen greentea blotting papers it somewhat alleviated the situation but i was already disgusted. Face and body is the only mufe foundation i will keep using occasionally but this goes back to sephora tomorrow asap! I got the chanel mat lumiere foundation in walnut which is a color match that is beyond perfect so i will be testing that on the weekend to see if it is any good. I will never recommend this, Ever!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/15/2009 4:54:00 AM More reviews by steph_mark

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

i really like this foundation. it's probably one of the best HE foundations i've tried. it covers well, it lasts all day, and the finish is wonderful. i have combo/acne-prone skin, but mat velvet can cover most of my ugly marks without being too cakey or makeupy. it has no fragrance and it blends like a dream. my skintone is very pale neutral, and the lightest shade matches wonderfully. i will certainly repurchase.