July 25, 2014 | 1737 users online

Liquid - Make Up For Ever - Mat Velvet + Matifying Foundation

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/22/2009 6:12:00 PM More reviews by vickybee

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

All I can say is WOW. I'm not sure why it took me so long to try out this foundation but I'm glad I finally did!

OK, so I consider myself to have slightly oily skin, so I prefer a more matte finish from my foundation. I tried MUFE HD in the past and while I liked it, the finish was a bit too glowy/dewy for my skin so I'd look fairly greasy after a few hours. I have been consistently using MAC Studio Sculpt foundation with great results as well (less of a shiny finish than MUFE HD), but of course I'm always looking for the next best thing ;-) I'm half Asian and NC25-30, and I went with shade #40. Its a pretty good match, but it is less yellow than MUFE 120 which I think matches me a bit better.

This foundation controls oil like NO OTHER. Seriously, I am amazed. The finish is perfectly matte, and this stuff really keeps the oilies at bay. I don't even need blot papers any more - if anything I might powder on a pinch of blot powder towards the end of the day. I use this foundation with my MAC Matte Gel as a primer and this is the best combo I've come across yet!

A little goes such a long way with this product so you only need to use the tiniest amount. With my MUFE HD I had to use about 2 pumps to get the coverage I wanted. I just need to use a pea-sized drop of this stuff and I get better coverage! You need to be careful though because if you use too much it looks waaay too obvious and cakey. This foundation does tend to dry quickly, but I just spray a few squirts of Fix+ on my brush (I use a kabuki-type brush) and it really helps with the blending before it dries and sets. And of course using a primer will help as well.

Like other reviews have mentioned, if you tend to be dry in any way I would NOT recommend this product. I'm not sure what kind of oil-controlling ingredients are in this foundation, but you can definitely feel them! The first few times I wore this foundation, I could literally feel the foundation absorb oil from my skin. I got a slight tingly sensation at first, which I don't really notice any more. If I don't use moisturizer with this foundation my skin feels dry and tight. So even if you are oily you will want to properly moisturize before applying this foundation!

In summary, this foundation is HEAVEN SENT to those with oily skin. Definitely give it a try!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/9/2009 11:39:00 AM More reviews by genie_11

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I like this foundation very much! No 30 matches my skin perfectly.
PROs :
1. I cant tell where the foundation stops, and that s such a great news!
2.It doesn not oxidase. Same color most of my day ( ussually 8 hours)!
3.it gives a very nice finish! I think that you have to blend it very quickly on the skin, otherwise, could look a bit heavy. So I put some on my arm, and , with my finger take just a bit and put on my face, for 2-3 cm, then blend and tap.
4 the coverage is great! no redness.
5 doesn t crease into fine lines ( around mouth)
6 the oil control is quite good! Have to put some powder just on my nose.
7. mat! ( obviously ). and I love a dewy face, but since my skin is combination, I ve noticed that most of luminescent foundation I ve used give my t zone a rather unflattering aspect. So I ve decided to try this out. I also bought the MUFE illuminateing powder, put some on my forehead, cheeks and chin, and love the overall aspect.
CONS : 1. not suitable for dry skin( sometimes I have some weird , tiny cracks on my forehead and cheeks, and even if I moisturize, the foundation it s obvious in that zone ).
2. you need to work it really really fast into the skin.
Bottom line, I think it s a really nice foundation!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/5/2009 7:55:00 PM More reviews by oliveyou21

I'm very pleased with this foundation. I went to Sephora in hopes of buying the Dior Forever, but none of the colors matched my asian fair/yellow skin(it's almost winter and I've given up on keeping a tan.) So the salesgirl suggested this one, and I was surprised with how well it matched my skin tone. It wears decently throughout the day, gotta touch up with powder once or twice. It really is matte, so if you're looking for a dewy looking foundation this isn't for you.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/5/2009 11:36:00 AM More reviews by bubbleys

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This foundation is great if you need a lot of coverage. However, you might need a lot of practise until you can get the desired effect. At first I didn't like it too much, but I found that you have to work quickly with this foundation. I apply it section at a time...One half of my face, then the other, then my chin...etc. It lasts a long time even if you need a ton of coverage.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/3/2009 1:54:00 PM More reviews by minni4bebe

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Other, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I decided to try this out bc the HD sucked for me. Let's just say, my skin looks aged. It looks dry and patchy. Thankflly, I tried it out on a weekend and can just wash it off before going anywhere. It looks like I took a pressed powder and layered it like 5 times. Awful, not worth the money. I'll stick to my MAC mineralized satin finish.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/26/2009 8:25:00 PM More reviews by makeupjunkie35

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

****UPDATE****I hate to say it, but this one is letting me down! It is not holding up to the FL humidity, nor is it wearing as long as I need it too for my busy lifestyle. It starts out beautiful but after about 6 hours it starts to break down on me. Oh, and it only minimizes pores for a few hours. I work 15 hour days so this is not good!!! PROS is it feels like a velvety primer going on. And that is how it sets, very soft and smooth to appearance. Felt airy light, like nothing was on my skin. I was wondering how it would do around my eyes (I don't use concealer there, only foundation) and it did not look dry, nor did it emphasize my fine lines at all. It did not oxidize in color. I do like the fact that it is waterproof. The color match is perfect for me too. For shade reference in other products I have tried, I am #20 (Ivory) in the MUFE Mat Velvet foundation, #117 (Marble) in the MUFE HD foundation, NC15 in MAC Studio Fix liq, NC20 in MAC Studio Fix Powder Plus Foundation, Buff (W) in Lancome Teint Idole Ultra 14 hour liq, Real Vellum (03) in Prescriptives Virtual Skin liq, Classic Ivory Light 2 in Maybelline Instant Age Rewind compact, Buff in Revlon Colorstay comb/oily liq, and Fair/light in Revlon Colorstay Mineral Powder Foundation. OVERALL, it is not holding up to my long-time HG, Revlon Colorstay!!! This is quite shocking to me really. I would not buy this one again!!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/23/2009 4:27:00 PM More reviews by nadeen4ever

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

Cyclopentasiloxane, Aqua (Water), Corn Starch Modified, Bis-PEG/PPG-14/14 Dimethicone, Neopentyl Glycol Diethylhexanoate, Glycerin, Silica Dimethyl Silylate, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Mica, Magnesium Sulfate, Sodium Chloride, Xanthan Gum, Phenoxyethanol, Aluminum Hydroxide, Propylene Carbonate, Propylparaben, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Chlorphenesin, Methylparaben, Tetrasodium EDTA, Parfum (Fragrance), Cyclohexasiloxane, Sodium Myristoyl Glutamate, Hexyl Cinnamal, Limonene, Citronellol, Geraniol, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Linalool, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone. May Contain: CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), CI 77491(Iron Oxides), CI 77492 (Iron Oxides), CI 77499 (Iron Oxides).

rated 4 of 5 on 9/19/2009 8:08:00 PM More reviews by portia89

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

love this stuff1 the coverage is great, but your skin does get a little oily after a few hours. So i use the Duo Mat pressed powder after I applied this foundation and my skin looks flawless! Will buy again.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/19/2009 4:00:00 PM More reviews by SuzieDVv

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Not in love with this. I'm so disappointed. I've wanted to try this for ages, but MUFE is hard to find in the UK. So I bought it in France on a trip recently. It was around 28 euro.
I was matched to shade #30 but I don't think it's quite right for me, I think it's either too dark or too warm or something.
It goes on nicely and the coverage is quite good. Although it's not as good as I hoped it would be. The first 30 minutes or so it looks good, a reasonable match to my skin. And it is very matte.
But looked in the mirror after a couple of hours and it had darkened considerably and now was looking quite orange. Also I started to get some shine about 2 hours after applying it. Temperatures today were average September temperatures and it wouldn't hold up on a warmer summer day.
Overall, I think this is a pretty average foundation.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/18/2009 11:39:00 AM More reviews by spiceandsugar

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

What a disappointment this foundation turned out to be! I had such high hopes for this. It is expensive ($34 for a small bottle) and while I don't mind paying a higher price for a good product, I expect a $34 foundation to deliver. It did not deliver at all. It is a very typical foundation, nothing special about it. I noticed no difference in my skin that tends to get shiny throughout the day. My skin still got shiny at the same time it always does. The coverage is decent, but I wasn't buying this for decent coverage, I wanted something that controlled shine like it claims to do. It also seems to make my pores appear larger, so it must just sit right on the skin without really blending in very well. Terrible foundation. I will continue to search for the perfect foundation but am extremely disappointed to find out that this one is not it! Don't waste good money on this, you can get something much cheaper to do the same thing this does - which is not much!